Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Awesome, now i know exactly what you are talking about.  It is great to see grand island getting more developtments other than restaurants.
Agreed. I wish there was something they could do about the traffic congestion along Hwy 281 and Diers Ave. It's awful! I think it is only going to get worse once the Grand Island mall project is complete and Bed, Bath and Beyond and the other retailers have moved in. [/quote]
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Starting to see a lot more construction trailers showing up at the old Super Furniture Store at Hwy 281 and State. The whole mall has a lot going on, lots of businesses moving locations on the north side too.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:Found it! Here are the plans for south of Capital and northwest of Walmart according to a late September City Council meeting...

The developers are proposing to building ten, 30 unit
three story apartment buildings as shown on the attached plans, along with a club house
and pool area. Also included is a Preliminary Plat for Sterling Estates Second Subdivision
and a Final Plat for Sterling Estates Second Subdivision.
do you have a link where you found this?
Here you go!

https://agendamanagement.blob.core.wind ... 8-80_1.pdf
Awesome, now i know exactly what you are talking about.  It is great to see grand island getting more developtments other than restaurants.
Development at the Grand Island Mall is now well on its way! Construction crews are furiously working on nearly all sides of the mall adding  new store fronts along Hwy 281 and remodeling the anchor store which presumably will be Bed Bath and Beyond. Good stuff is happening!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Looks like everything is on track with GI Mall project. Article from KHAS-TV says it will be done by summer. The north west corner of mall is really taking shape.

http://www.khastv.com/news/local/New-te ... 42981.html
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Just yesterday, a realtor friend of mine said that GI is in a near crisis with housing right now with only about 130 homes currently listed...

This was in this mornings paper:

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 1c697.html
Major new affordable housing project planned for Grand Island

A major new affordable housing project for Grand Island was announced Friday by local developer Ray O'Connor.

The Residences at Copper Creek will be located at Old Potash Highway and Engleman Road. It is being developed by The Guaranteed Group LLC, which is headed by O'Connor's son, Sean O'Connor, and assisted by Ray O'Connor.
Ray O'Connor said they hope to get the project off the ground early next year after it receives approval from the Regional Planning Commission and the city of Grand Island.

The concept is to build affordable housing. During the first phase of the development, O'Connor said, they plan to build 233 homes. They plan to build another 327 homes in the second phase of the project.
"They are going to be quality homes," he said. "They are going to be affordable homes."

The homes will sell for about $140,000, which O'Connor said can be affordable to a qualified family that has a combined household income of $33,000 per year.
[/quote]
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

With that many new homes going in and the two local elementary's (Shoemaker and Engleman) being at capacity already, GIPS will probably have to start looking at new buildings on the west side of town. Whether its expansions or new construction, 500 hundred homes in a middle class neighborhood is a lot of kids! Exciting news though!

In other news, the new PetSense store on the northwest side of the the GI Mall is set to open this weekend. The facade change over is looking really nice so far! Also, Bed Bath & Beyond got their now hiring sign up. I am sure that will be begin to draw a lot of interest as people drive by.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

That is great to hear!  Now i don't have to go to Petco or petsmart  everytime i am in lincoln.  I do agree with the housing situation and Hastings is the same way.  Have been looking for a house to buy for a couple months now and there is not much to choose from, the lowest is 60K and highest being 400K.
Suit Up
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

gisbuxfan wrote:With that many new homes going in and the two local elementary's (Shoemaker and Engleman) being at capacity already, GIPS will probably have to start looking at new buildings on the west side of town. Whether its expansions or new construction, 500 hundred homes in a middle class neighborhood is a lot of kids! Exciting news though!

In other news, the new PetSense store on the northwest side of the the GI Mall is set to open this weekend. The facade change over is looking really nice so far! Also, Bed Bath & Beyond got their now hiring sign up. I am sure that will be begin to draw a lot of interest as people drive by.
Petsense is interesting.  It appears to have been started by former Petco/Petsmart execs.  It's national and growing.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

NovakOmaha wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:With that many new homes going in and the two local elementary's (Shoemaker and Engleman) being at capacity already, GIPS will probably have to start looking at new buildings on the west side of town. Whether its expansions or new construction, 500 hundred homes in a middle class neighborhood is a lot of kids! Exciting news though!

Petsense is interesting.  It appears to have been started by former Petco/Petsmart execs.  It's national and growing.
That makes a lot of sense because originally Pet Smart was advertising for positions in Grand Island. Eventually, those disappeared and PetSense showed up.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Looking at the markets that Petsense serves, it appears to have developed a niche of targeting smaller regional shopping hubs as opposed to the 100,000+ populations that the two biggies serve. I've been to the one in Columbus and they're a little high priced for their goods, but have a pretty nice selection. Their products will be a nice addition to what you can currently find at Tractor Supply Co. (which has a suprisingly large and well stocked pet department). Our dogs love the "cookies" from Petsense, similar to the big bins at PetSmart.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Panda Express looking to come to Grand Island.   Also, Pet Smart may still be showing up as well.   Not sure how that will turn out with Pet Sense just opening this weekend.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

A Pet Smart wouldn't make sense at this point. I suppose if they did, they'd need to go down off Locust St. As for Panda Express, they even have an address listed on their website. Should be going up in front of Home Depot along Allen Dr. Another great restaurant coming to town!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

The following building permit was recently issued:
*Orange Development, 1710 West Second Street, 13,000 square foot pharmacy, $1,584,850  (a CVS Pharmacy)

Orange Development is proposing a CVS Pharmacy in Norfolk virtually next door to the Walgreens as well.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:The following building permit was recently issued:
*Orange Development, 1710 West Second Street, 13,000 square foot pharmacy, $1,584,850  (a CVS Pharmacy)

Orange Development is proposing a CVS Pharmacy in Norfolk virtually next door to the Walgreens as well.
Is that where this CVS is going to be built also? or are they going to bull doze the old bag'n save building?
Suit Up
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Candleshoe wrote:The following building permit was recently issued:

Are they knocking down this building?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1710+Wes ... 59,,0,6.05
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I don't know for certain if they'll take down the old Bag n Save/Safeway, but I would kind of expect that those old bones are about due for burial.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Look for the old Bag 'N Drag building to come down on Second Street.   Also, a potential new restaurant going up on the southwest corner of the former Sunmart/U-Save lot at State St. and Hwy 281.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:Look for the old Bag 'N Drag building to come down on Second Street.   Also, a potential new restaurant going up on the southwest corner of the former Sunmart/U-Save lot at State St. and Hwy 281.
CVS was officially announced this last week for the corner of 2nd Ave and Broadwell. It will be nice to see something functional at that corner. I've always thought that was prime real estate. Any ideas on what the restaurant? I know Panda Express has an Allen Dr. address which places it in front of Home Depot. Haven't heard of any other places though.

In other news, I cannot believe how many apartment buildings are going up! Sterling Apartments (Capital Ave) are beginning pre-leases already. They have the structure of their first building up (about 30 units) and are beginning their second structure now. According to the sign they have posted garages will probably be coming soon too. Now if Grand Island can get a few more houses built. I hope the Copper Creek development pulls through. We need those homes.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Don't have any info on a restaurant on that spot, but I have heard from somebody who's always been pretty reliable that Longhorn Steakhouse has GI on it's radar. That's actually kind of depressing as it's a category that's already done to death here.
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

Looks like they have started work next to olive garden across from home depot.....Rumors for panda express appear to be true, according to Deed information, this plot was sold to cft development llc located out of Roesmead CA,  Panda Express is based out of Rosemead CaA as well!
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

That's great to hear, never was a big fan of panda express but it will be a great addition to GI. Candleshoe wasn't there a rumor about that last year? seems like we are hearing that every year now.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

That's great to hear, never was a big fan of panda express but it will be a great addition to GI. Candleshoe wasn't there a rumor about that last year? seems like we are hearing that every year now.
Yes, it's been talked about before. But then again, lots of food places have been rumored in the past, so every now and then one of them is bound to come true. I remember when the Platte Valley State Bank on 281 ground work was starting, there were rumors it was going to be a TGI Fridays.

Panda Express doesn't really interest me. I've become spoiled by the Chinese buffets... not limited to one entree anymore. Problem is that there are so many bad ones where the food isn't rotated out quick enough and goes flat or gets soggy. So, when we're in the mood for Chinese, I love the huge and fresh selection at Buffet House next to K-Mart, but we make the drive to Hastings once every couple of months to go to King Buffet by WalMart. THAT is some fine Chinese food, buffet style! They're always busy, so the food doesn't sit out for long before getting replaced. I really want to sneak a photo sometime of the label on one of their bins that says "Stir Fly Vegetables". :P
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:
Yes, it's been talked about before. But then again, lots of food places have been rumored in the past, so every now and then one of them is bound to come true. I remember when the Platte Valley State Bank on 281 ground work was starting, there were rumors it was going to be a TGI Fridays.

Panda Express doesn't really interest me. I've become spoiled by the Chinese buffets... not limited to one entree anymore. Problem is that there are so many bad ones where the food isn't rotated out quick enough and goes flat or gets soggy. So, when we're in the mood for Chinese, I love the huge and fresh selection at Buffet House next to K-Mart, but we make the drive to Hastings once every couple of months to go to King Buffet by WalMart. THAT is some fine Chinese food, buffet style! They're always busy, so the food doesn't sit out for long before getting replaced. I really want to sneak a photo sometime of the label on one of their bins that says "Stir Fly Vegetables". :P
Same here, i had panda express once at the gateway mall in lincoln and never again. The only place i have had chinese in gi are golden gate and hunan both were horrible.  Kings buffet is not bad for a buffet, i think it is mainly that it gets busy enough that the food don't sit there long. I live in hastings and the only place i like other than kings is hunan.
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:

Same here, i had panda express once at the gateway mall in lincoln and never again. The only place i have had chinese in gi are golden gate and hunan both were horrible.  Kings buffet is not bad for a buffet, i think it is mainly that it gets busy enough that the food don't sit there long. I live in hastings and the only place i like other than kings is hunan.
Sad...my several experiences with it have been really good. I frequented the Panda Express on  173rd & West Center in Omaha. I liked it. I thought it was clean and well presented.

In other news in GI..just read that the GI YMCA is going ahead with their plans to build a new facility. It's an 18-20 million dollar facility and will be completed over the next 7-10 years. Will that be on the land north of Capital, between Dairy Queen and Primrose?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:

Sad...my several experiences with it have been really good. I frequented the Panda Express on  173rd & West Center in Omaha. I liked it. I thought it was clean and well presented.

In other news in GI..just read that the GI YMCA is going ahead with their plans to build a new facility. It's an 18-20 million dollar facility and will be completed over the next 7-10 years. Will that be on the land north of Capital, between Dairy Queen and Primrose?
It seems like the menu is very hit and miss at Panda Express. I had the mushroom chicken my first time there and it was like dog poop. Several friends recommended the sweet and sour chicken and it was much better.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I was excited to see one was coming to Council Bluffs, then my son who was at Iowa State said the one in Ames was nasty so I have never went after it opened here!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

EastCB wrote:I was excited to see one was coming to Council Bluffs, then my son who was at Iowa State said the one in Ames was nasty so I have never went after it opened here!!!!
I don't think most ISU students like it....

Me, it's average, but nothing to write home about.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
EastCB wrote:I was excited to see one was coming to Council Bluffs, then my son who was at Iowa State said the one in Ames was nasty so I have never went after it opened here!!!!
I don't think most ISU students like it....

Me, it's average, but nothing to write home about.
I don't understand why anybody goes there when we have places like Rice Bowl in town.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Watch for confirmation on Pepper Jax coming soon, too.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I haven't heard a word.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Watch for confirmation on Pepper Jax coming soon, too.
Pepperjax will be the best news all year!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

This should be good for confirmation! Check out the Coming Soon Locations!

http://www.pepperjaxgrill.com/menu.pdf
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
This should be good for confirmation! Check out the Coming Soon Locations!

http://www.pepperjaxgrill.com/menu.pdf
That's pretty much set in stone then.  Menu looks good also, by the way have any one of you guys been to sam & louie's since the new owner took over?
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:
That's pretty much set in stone then.  Menu looks good also, by the way have any one of you guys been to sam & louie's since the new owner took over?
To be honest... I haven't really even thought about going there. Waaaay too many other choices and from the things I'd heard, it's been more of the same, just different.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/22192846/1 ... and-island
Developers announced plans Thursday for a $12 million redevelopment project in downtown Grand Island, centered on turning a historic building into a luxury hotel.

Zachary Z. Zoul, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hospitality Advisors Group announced plans for the Nebraskan Hotel at the Masonic Temple.

Zoul said it will span one block of Locust Street between 2nd Street and 3rd Street consisting of the Masonic Temple building (circa 1925), Bartenbach Opera House building (circa 1882), and Rexall Drug building (circa 1885).

The independent hotel will feature a full complement of services and amenities including 50 guest rooms and suites, fine dining restaurant, coffee shop/bakery, spa, retail shops, lounge, fitness center, business center, and banquet/meeting/event spaces featuring two majestic Ballrooms.

And it marks the return of a Grand Island tradition, with plans for a full-service Dreisbach's Restaurant, returning after closing more than a decade ago. In recent years, the family has opened a carry-out restaurant, with limited seating.
Nebraskan by candleshoe, on Flickr

Downtown Grand Island by candleshoe, on Flickr
The hotel would feature space for weddings and other events, with two ballrooms -- the "Governor's Ballroom" and the "Grand Ballroom".

Zoul said he intends to use Tax Increment Financing (TIF) and a facade grant from the city to assist with the project.
Masonic Temple in Grand Island, NE by candleshoe, on Flickr
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Very cool!
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Don't know you if guys have seen this but this would be where the development by DQ is. The prices are a little bit high, 1 bed/1 bath 564 sq. ft.  for $635-$655. Attached garage are $75/month and detached garages are $55/month.

Wish Hastings would build more apartments.

http://www.thesterlingapt.com/

http://units.realtydatatrust.com/UnitTy ... opertySite
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:Don't know you if guys have seen this but this would be where the development by DQ is. The prices are a little bit high, 1 bed/1 bath 564 sq. ft.  for $635-$655. Attached garage are $75/month and detached garages are $55/month.

I think the prices are decent. From what I have seen they will be pretty modern apartments. While there is no chance of me ever moving back into an apartment, I will definitely be interested in seeing them once they are open.

With the extra population coming to that area, the widening of Capital Ave to Broadwell can't come soon enough.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:Don't know you if guys have seen this but this would be where the development by DQ is. The prices are a little bit high, 1 bed/1 bath 564 sq. ft.  for $635-$655. Attached garage are $75/month and detached garages are $55/month.

I think the prices are decent. From what I have seen they will be pretty modern apartments. While there is no chance of me ever moving back into an apartment, I will definitely be interested in seeing them once they are open.

With the extra population coming to that area, the widening of Capital Ave to Broadwell can't come soon enough.
Agreed on the street widening, are you talking about widening from webb to broadwell on capital Ave?

Paying that much i rather spend that on a monthly payment toward the mortgage of a house.  Which i am still looking for one, in hastings of course. We (gf and i)  live in the parklane apartment complex and those are the newest/most decent in town(1995)
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The new Grand Island mall redevelopment is finally starting to take shape with Bed Bath and Beyond as the anchor store. Any one know of a projected open date?

I drove by CVS Pharmacy yesterday and that looks like its almost ready to open. What a nice change of property on that corner!