Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Re: Grand Island Rumor Mill

Post by gisbuxfan »

Big news for the Northwest Commons project.
http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... f887a.html

"Dick’s Sporting Goods had been looking at Grand Island properties around the Hy-Vee shopping center last year in other areas the city had declared for redevelopment."

I knew they had been looking, several had told me they were looking at the former K-Mart site. I am in a little disbelief on how long its taken for a decent sporting goods store to come into town. GI is all about its sports of all levels. I think they will do good here, but it's probably going to be a few years before they open.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Re: Re:

Post by gisbuxfan »

wehavetoliveit wrote:Heard a rumor there was going to be a Village Inn in GI mall area.  Didn't say the exact location but I was thinking in the southwest corner of Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot?? next to 281.  Heard it from a local construction guy.  We will see
Today's Independent confirms a restaurant to break ground soon at the northeast corner of State and 281. They hope to have it open in 6 months.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

gisbuxfan wrote:
wehavetoliveit wrote:Heard a rumor there was going to be a Village Inn in GI mall area.  Didn't say the exact location but I was thinking in the southwest corner of Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot?? next to 281.  Heard it from a local construction guy.  We will see
Today's Independent confirms a restaurant to break ground soon at the northeast corner of State and 281.  They hope to have it open in 6 months.
Firehouse Subs is going in at that corner location.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
Today's Independent confirms a restaurant to break ground soon at the northeast corner of State and 281.  They hope to have it open in 6 months.
I remember something being said about them coming to town. It's a great location.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Dick's Sporting Goods coming to Northwest Commons (aka. Grand Island Mall) in 2015.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:Dick's Sporting Goods coming to Northwest Commons (aka. Grand Island Mall) in 2015.
It's about time!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
Just saw that construction crews broke ground on this yesterday. Also, Pepperjax Grill opens Tuesday.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Firehouse is pretty good.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

nativeomahan wrote:Firehouse is pretty good.
i second this, i would prefer firehouse over subway/quiznos/jimmy johns if there is one close to me and soon grand island will be the closest
Suit Up
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

After having Firehouse for the 2nd time last weekend, I can honestly say I think it is one of the best sub places. Yeah it costs a little more but the amount and quality of meat is much better.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
i second this, i would prefer firehouse over subway/quiznos/jimmy johns if there is one close to me and soon grand island will be the closest
I have only had firehouse once. It was decent. I think of the other 3 you listed, Subway is on the bottom of that list by a long way. I like Jimmy Johns, but Quizno's was my favorite of the bunch. Needless to say I was sad when it closed not just once, but twice in Grand Island. Still hoping it might open up again. :)

Firehouse is going to have a superb location. I imagine its going to be very busy.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote: I like Jimmy Johns, but Quizno's was my favorite of the bunch. Needless to say I was sad when it closed not just once, but twice in Grand Island. Still hoping it might open up again. :)
The last owner still operates the Hastings Quiznos. They have a great product, but never marketed themselves in GI very well. The Hastings store does a pretty good catering trade though, with less head to head competition.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:
I have only had firehouse once. It was decent. I think of the other 3 you listed, Subway is on the bottom of that list by a long way. I like Jimmy Johns, but Quizno's was my favorite of the bunch. Needless to say I was sad when it closed not just once, but twice in Grand Island. Still hoping it might open up again. :)

Firehouse is going to have a superb location. I imagine its going to be very busy.
i only remember the last quiznos, i never knew the first one closed down but maybe 3rd time the charm? lol. The one in Hastings is decent and is located in a mini strip mall on burlington across the street from the police station. I agree with you Subway would be the bottom of my list too

1. Firehouse
2.Jimmy Johns
2-2.5 Quiznos
3. Subway
if hastings would still have Mr. goodcent i would put it as a tie breaker with subway
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:i only remember the last quiznos, i never knew the first one closed down but maybe 3rd time the charm? lol. The one in Hastings is decent and is located in a mini strip mall on burlington across the street from the police station. I agree with you Subway would be the bottom of my list too

1. Firehouse
2.Jimmy Johns
2-2.5 Quiznos
3. Subway
if hastings would still have Mr. goodcent i would put it as a tie breaker with subway

Quizno's has only had 1 location in GI. It closed down the first time due to change in management and organizational stuff. It opened back up, and it seemed to have a pretty good customer base, but it was closed for the 2nd time maybe a year, year and a half later.
Pineapple Slap
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Pineapple Slap »

Does anyone know what is to come of the commercial land across from the museum that was bought back in 2012 by Cline Williams Wright Johnson & Oldfather LLP?

It would appear that it is a land hold at the moment, no?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Pineapple Slap wrote:Does anyone know what is to come of the commercial land across from the museum that was bought back in 2012 by Cline Williams Wright Johnson & Oldfather LLP?

It would appear that it is a land hold at the moment, no?
No idea. At one time there was an announcement of a "Lifestyle Shopping Center" being planned for that spot, but that withered and died years ago. I don't see any serious retail of any size going in at that spot anytime soon.

But, ya never know!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Well, looks like traffic on Capital Ave will have a big diversion come spring. The intersection of Capital and Broadwell will be closed for 4 months.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 4e103.html

While I hate construction, I love it when its done.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

A GI shopping destination since 1939, Skagway Stores are closing both GI locations, effective May 22. Unconfirmed, but an employee meeting last night spelled out the details and each employee was given a letter of termination effective on that date.

B&R Stores of Lincoln had negotiated to buy both stores back in the fall, but a sudden cease in talks followed by "no comments" on both sides resulted in a withdrawal of the bids.

This will leave HyVee, SuperSaver (B&R), two Walmart Supercenters and Sams Club as the remaining major supermarkets in town.

Now, my thoughts... if you like conspiracy theories... There was a major hurdle for the previous negotiations to get past, the CRA grant that Skagway had used to remodel the north store a few years ago. B&R wanted similar finance help and possibly TIFF money too if I recall. There was a cloud over if the CRA that Skagway had would block B&R from asking for the same after buying the stores. I'm wondering now if they decided to just close the stores, walk away and then let some realtor sell the property to a buyer who just happens to turn out to be B&R... Might be farfetched, but it's an angle.

Another popular theory has it that the landlord of the South Locust store wouldn't cooperate in the change of ownership. It would be more lucrative to sell the property to the State Fair/Fonner Park, who it has been suggested, really lust over the amount of parking and frontage that would provide.

In the meantime, a LOT of quality employees will be out there looking for new jobs. Around 250 employees between the two stores. If I were a marginal employee at another grocery or Ace Hardware, Menards or Home Depot, I'd step up my game because some good applicants will come a-callin'.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:A GI shopping destination since 1939, Skagway Stores are closing both GI locations, effective May 22. Unconfirmed, but an employee meeting last night spelled out the details and each employee was given a letter of termination effective on that date.

B&R Stores of Lincoln had negotiated to buy both stores back in the fall, but a sudden cease in talks followed by "no comments" on both sides resulted in a withdrawal of the bids.

This will leave HyVee, SuperSaver (B&R), two Walmart Supercenters and Sams Club as the remaining major supermarkets in town.

Now, my thoughts... if you like conspiracy theories... There was a major hurdle for the previous negotiations to get past, the CRA grant that Skagway had used to remodel the north store a few years ago. B&R wanted similar finance help and possibly TIFF money too if I recall. There was a cloud over if the CRA that Skagway had would block B&R from asking for the same after buying the stores. I'm wondering now if they decided to just close the stores, walk away and then let some realtor sell the property to a buyer who just happens to turn out to be B&R...    Might be farfetched, but it's an angle.

Another popular theory has it that the landlord of the South Locust store wouldn't cooperate in the change of ownership. It would be more lucrative to sell the property to the State Fair/Fonner Park, who it has been suggested, really lust over the amount of parking and frontage that would provide.

In the meantime, a LOT of quality employees will be out there looking for new jobs. Around 250 employees between the two stores. If I were a marginal employee at another grocery or Ace Hardware, Menards or Home Depot, I'd step up my game because some good applicants will come a-callin'.
I am voting with the conspiracy theorists on this one. It all seems strange to me.

In other news, a lot directly to the east of Ruby Tuesdays on the south side of 13th St looks to have been sold. Surveyers were out in force today, plus for sale sign has been taken down.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:
I am voting with the conspiracy theorists on this one. It all seems strange to me.

In other news, a lot directly to the east of Ruby Tuesdays on the south side of 13th St looks to have been sold. Surveyers were out in force today, plus for sale sign has been taken down.
And a comment made by owner Bill Martin suggests that the stores became albatrosses and he didn't see the shift in peoples shopping preferences in time. Too big of stores and not as spanky and shiny as the competition. So, the CRA and TIF money essentially was wasted?

On the lot by Ruby Tuesdays, I hope it's a restaurant! We need more restaurants!
In a related note: for the last 7 or 8 weeks, my wife and I have taken on a challenge to eat at a restaurant in GI each weekend, one that we've never eaten at before. National chains included. If we haven't been inside the Grand Island location of someplace we've eaten at before, it's still counting as new to us. Been fun and now that we've taken some inventory, this could take most of the year! A lot of little places tucked out of the way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Candleshoe wrote: In a related note: for the last 7 or 8 weeks, my wife and I have taken on a challenge to eat at a restaurant in GI each weekend, one that we've never eaten at before. National chains included. If we haven't been inside the Grand Island location of someplace we've eaten at before, it's still counting as new to us. Been fun and now that we've taken some inventory, this could take most of the year! A lot of little places tucked out of the way.
You should start a list on here of the GI Gems that you find!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Brad wrote:
Candleshoe wrote: In a related note: for the last 7 or 8 weeks, my wife and I have taken on a challenge to eat at a restaurant in GI each weekend, one that we've never eaten at before. National chains included. If we haven't been inside the Grand Island location of someplace we've eaten at before, it's still counting as new to us. Been fun and now that we've taken some inventory, this could take most of the year! A lot of little places tucked out of the way.
You should start a list on here of the GI Gems that you find!
There was an article in this mornings paper about restaurants and the city estimates there are 300 in Grand Island! Whoaaaaaaa!!! This might take longer than we thought...
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:There was an article in this mornings paper about restaurants and the city estimates there are 300 in Grand Island! Whoaaaaaaa!!! This might take longer than we thought...

Holy Smokes! I would never have guessed that.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Has anyone else noticed the explosion of building taking place in Grand Island right now? Just to name a few projects:

Capital Ave widening
New construction behind Home Depot (north of Baristas)
Continental Gardens Apartments addition
Firehouse Subs
New Assisted Living/Dementia apartments announced behind Sam's Club
Faidley Ave extension from Diers Ave to North Rd
Copper Creek subdivision
Sterling Estates subdivision

I bet if I gave it some more thought I could come up with some more, but this feels like a big deal for this town!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Urbanspoon.com (soon to rebrand as zomato.com) lists 142 restaurants in the Grand Island area.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Native Omahan said: Urbanspoon.com (soon to rebrand as zomato.com) lists 142 restaurants in the Grand Island area.

Not a definitive list. I spotted a bunch missing without even trying, not to mention a few that are closed as well. Several ethnic and tavern locations are missing from the list. Some of the chains that have multiple locations are relegated to just one listing too.

That being said, reviewing the source I used, it was actually 300 FOOD SERVICE locations. The article was about potentially having certification for kitchen managers of food service locations, which would include institutional besides retail.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

A couple of rumors out of the rumor mill..

1) Dickeys BBQ is expanding and will build a second location.
2) Paradise Donuts will also be expanding with a second location.
3) Dunkin Donuts is looking at coming into GI.

We will see what happens.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I could see Dickeys doing that. Their S Locust location is so tiny and so well hidden off the strip, yet it's always busy.

Interesting donut news. I still have never been to Paradise (that sounds like a good song title)... Never think about them as I'm not a donut kinda person.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Update on the renovations going on at the former Grand Island Mall, soon to be Northwest Commons.

ImageGI Mall renovation update by candleshoe, on Flickr
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Are there renderings for the result?
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Looking good. I will have to take a road trip to see all the changes in Grand Island. I lived there in the mid 80's.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Candleshoe wrote:I could see Dickeys doing that. Their S Locust location is so tiny and so well hidden off the strip, yet it's always busy.

Interesting donut news. I still have never been to Paradise (that sounds like a good song title)... Never think about them as I'm not a donut kinda person.
I ate there a few days back. It is a bit difficult to find, but it is far from tiny. I would say it seats at least 60.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Update on the renovations going on at the former Grand Island Mall, soon to be Northwest Commons.

ImageGI Mall renovation update by candleshoe, on Flickr
It's hard to tell from this angle, but I was surprised to see that they are keeping a part of that structure in tact. When the plan was originally unveiled I was under the impression that this whole area would be torn down and Dick's along with all the other store fronts would be rebuilt.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:
It's hard to tell from this angle, but I was surprised to see that they are keeping a part of that structure in tact. When the plan was originally unveiled I was under the impression that this whole area would be torn down and Dick's along with all the other store fronts would be rebuilt.

They're cutting through, about where Hastings was so they can have retail facing all directions. There will be retail facing US281 now with parking on that side as well. This map doesn't include the northern section of the structure, which is still owned and leased through Gordman properties.

ImageFullscreen capture 5112015 83101 AM by Joe, on Flickr
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Raising Canes has solicited contractor bids for new construction in Grand Island.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Was at the in laws in grand island last weekend and she told me that the new taco bell building(where the old one is on hwy 281& state)will also be shared with popeyes, I might prefer Raising Cane's a little more but popeyes is right behind it.
Suit Up
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I was in Cincinnati the past few days & ate at Raising Canes. I'd much prefer Popeyes. Raising Canes is pretty much a one trick pony & almost $7 for 3 chicken fingers, a piece of texas toast, some standard issue french fries & a little cup of french dressing is a bit pricey. I find Popeyes to have a great flavor & a good selection of items on the menu.

Of course I could be wrong. I just don't see the fascination with Raising Canes
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I've never had a bad meal at Popeyes. I've never had a healthy meal there, either, but it is "fried" chicken we are talking about. Never been to Raising Cane's.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

A few more rumors for the pot... potential tenants for the Northwest Commons development: Charming Charlie, Chick fil a, Old Navy. This last one seems unlikely as Gap Inc is starting close stores.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Mainstay Suites is now open in GI on South Locust, adding 58 rooms/suites to GI's underwhelming total of round 1,800 rooms. Just heard that Candlewood Suites will be breaking ground next to the Fairfield sometime this Fall. It's a Paul Younes property. Bosselmans new South Locust property acquisition has plans that include a hotel during phase two of their construction. They've said they're talking to both Choice and Hilton, focusing on a higher end hotel catering to business travelers.

I spoke with a sales manager of a local property yesterday and she said most of GI's hotels are operating at near full capacity every weekend and weekdays often sell out with late walkins.

Kearney became the "go to" city in Central Nebraska for private conventions a decade ago, thanks to Paul Younes and his large convention center complex, surrounded by better quality hotels. At the same time, Grand Island has become a hub of National and regional Livestock shows and other ag events, thanks largely to the Nebraska State Fairgrounds complex being marketed by Fonner Park during the months of October through July. June events at the fairgounds have filled all the GI hotels and sent large numbers to Kearney and Hastings hotels to handle the overflow. Fonner is in the middle of a four week run of four consecutive National Livestock shows and competitions.

Meanwhile, the private convention center built for the old Hastings Quality Inn sits dormant, along with the hotel as it's new owner mulls its future.