Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

It's pretty much ridiculous. The City Council and the local fair board are accusing each other of just about everything right now. The board of people who originally brought the idea to GI had previously stated that they would raise 3 million dollars, however, if you ask them now they'll say they don't know what you are talking about. So, while it was a good idea at first, its all gone downhill from there.

In other news...the band Chicago is coming to Grand Island! Woohoo!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

gisbuxfan wrote:It's pretty much ridiculous. The City Council and the local fair board are accusing each other of just about everything right now. The board of people who originally brought the idea to GI had previously stated that they would raise 3 million dollars, however, if you ask them now they'll say they don't know what you are talking about. So, while it was a good idea at first, its all gone downhill from there.

In other news...the band Chicago is coming to Grand Island! Woohoo!

Chicago rocks!  I love that band..
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

As it has been awhile since Grand Island had anything worthy of talking about, a couple of new projects are beginning this week. First, "Come and Get It BBQ" is moving into the former Kokonut Joes location near State and Webb also, Just today, steel work for a new two story office building began to go up off of Webb near Faidley. Beings there are at least two other empty office style buildings on the west side of town, this seems pointless to build. I am hoping it already has tenants, otherwise this is wasted space.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Well the only thing we are hearing about in Grand Island these days are, there aren't enough hotels or restaraunts. This was actually pretty exciting news announced earlier this week.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/x272 ... otel-rooms
o help meet future capacity demands for other events, especially the State Fair, the owners of the Midtown Holiday Inn recently announced the construction of an 81-room Holiday Inn Express in Grand Island.
All we need is about 7 additional hotels in the South Locust area, and I think we'll be ok.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

All we need is about 7 additional hotels in the South Locust area, and I think we'll be ok.

Read a little further down in the same article...
The project he has first up in his plan book is an 80-room Best Western Inn and Suites on South Locust Street. O'Connor bought the former Wonderful Garden restaurant and is working with the Grand Island Fire Department to burn the building down in a training session.

This is the first of two hotel property projects that O'Connor is involved in. So, that's two announced and a third in planning. It's a start.

I suspect we'll be hearing of more before too long. I don't think anybody was willing to commit till the local matching State Fair money was in place.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I'm thinking this will give GI a bigger identity and a bigger 'feel' presence in Nebraska to the point where its population will boom more..
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I recently talked to an individual who seems to be in the know with GI real estate/business development. This person told me that a company is considering locating a facility in GI which would create around 300 jobs. I think he said the sector the employer was from but I don't remember for sure. I want to say it was some sort of manufacturing. So have you GI guys heard anything about this?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Yeah, the project your speaking of is Manufacturing in nature. It is actually kind of old news for us. The last thing I heard was the original figures like # of jobs have been scaled back due to the state of the economy. Also, where the original unveiling was planned for this month, it has now been moved to later this year. They are looking to build on south Hwy 281.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Big News for Grand Island! I was at Quizno's for lunch today and had the opportunity to talk to the owner. She told about all the work being done at 13th and Webb. Walgreen's will be opening up a second location in GI with an early 2009 opening. Also, the old Albertson's building will be bought out by both Hastings Books and Ashley Furniture. She also mentioned the gas station in the same area had been purchased as well, but did not say by who. Overall, this will be great for the area.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I've known about the Walgreens site for a little while, but didnt say anything yet, because there might be more to the story. I've heard the version you gave, plus another that they'll be closing the 2nd & Broadwell store and adding another down on South Locust.  Don't have any verification either way yet.

The news about Hastings & Ashley furniture is good news, although that's really gonna be another big hit on the GI Mall who lost Hobby Lobby, Big Lots and Dollar General in the last year or two.

Ashley has been a rumor for the last six months... I'd heard they were going to move into TJ Maxx's space, but I know the MGR there and he said TJ Maxx isn't going anywhere.

As far as the convenience store... that's such a great building, but access really sucked. Wonder if somebody local is going to rebrand it or what?

Further news... Silver Creek Coffee is open now... I need to get in there to check it out, since its only about 5 blocks from my house. Also, it seems a GI legend might be getting back into the restaurant game... the strip center at Locust & Bismark has a sign announcing "Vlassy's Restaurant". Vlassy Patsios was the head chef at the Midtown, the old Ramada and a few other places in the 80's & 90's.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Yes, Vlassy is opening a place up. I am good friends with him and his family. His food is amazing!! I am excited about. He plans on specializing on breakfast!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The issue with Hastings leaving the GI Mall, does that leave that space with any hope of rebuilding. I drive by it everyday and unless there is a serious facelift on it, I don't see any businesses being attracted to the area. Shopko brings in some traffic, but even their store is aging. They haven't even changed the store signs over to the new Shopko logo. It's almost like they don't plan on being there too much longer.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Oh, by the way, I mentioned to a maintenance guy at the GI Mall yesterday that I heard Hastings was moving. He said it was the first he'd heard of it... but he knew their lease is nowhere nearly up... but then again, Hobby Lobby left with time left on theirs too.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

New State Fair facility plans unveiled

http://www.theindependent.com/news/x635 ... s-unveiled
While the design will make the Nebraska State Fair and Fonner Park one of the top venues in the nation, State Fair board Chairman Jerry Fitzgerald said there's still "a lot of work ahead" to make it a reality by 2010, when the State Fair officially moves from Lincoln to Grand Island.
We'll see where this one goes in the months ahead![/img]
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:I've known about the Walgreens site for a little while, but didnt say anything yet, because there might be more to the story. I've heard the version you gave, plus another that they'll be closing the 2nd & Broadwell store and adding another down on South Locust.  Don't have any verification either way yet.

The news about Hastings & Ashley furniture is good news, although that's really gonna be another big hit on the GI Mall who lost Hobby Lobby, Big Lots and Dollar General in the last year or two.

Ashley has been a rumor for the last six months... I'd heard they were going to move into TJ Maxx's space, but I know the MGR there and he said TJ Maxx isn't going anywhere.
Walgreens is coming along pretty quickly! I am really excited for it to be open. It's always been a hassel to drive to the other one on Hwy 30. As far as the Pump and Pantry next door, I believe I saw the undergound tanks being put in today, shelves inside are stocked, so I am guessing opening date should be pretty close.

Have you been into Ashley yet? The parking lot is staying full. But then again, that may be "new business traffic".
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Haven't gone in to Ashleys yet... but yeah, when you compare their parking lot a week after opening to Furniture Superstore's parking lot on opening day... I'd say that Ashleys name and reputation are golden. the "Superstore" is going to have to figure out something in a big hurry to survive. Which is a shame, cuz the owners had a real nice little niche in the market going for them with their outlet stores, they could blow it all away trying to go mainstream.

Also, sounds like the old Walgreens is staying put.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

While talking to a friend on Sunday, found out that Qdoba is opening a location in Grand Island soon. It will be next to Whiskey Creek.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Qdoba is going up fast, all the signs are up and sounds like they are about finished with hiring their staff. Definitely looking forward to a new place to eat in GI. Only 30 more to go before we're ready for the State Fair. :)
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

So, I am really excited about this. I heard a while back ago from some pretty reputable sources that Buffalo Wild Wings was coming to town. Well, today I saw that ground was being moved just south of Exchange Bank on US HWY 281 which is right where my source said it would be. Looks like it may be here sooner than I though!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Grand Island will be getting an Olive Garden, located near the new Verizon store across from Home Depot. Permits are applied for and I found a local telephone listing and address online. Also, the Buffalo Wild Wings rumor returns with my source being a subcontractor who says he's been contacted for some quotes.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I sure hope so. Too bad they didn't act earlier to cash in on the State Fair. Not to mention I am about sick of having to drive to Lincoln for Olive Garden. The source I had on BW3 was from a commercial plumber that got called for quotes, so we'll see. He told me it would happen after that "new" Taco John's was going to be built on the corner of Webb and College.

Any word on Five Guys Burgers & Fries? I saw an article in the Lincoln Journal Star several months ago that they were planning on building here.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Any word on Five Guys Burgers & Fries? I saw an article in the Lincoln Journal Star several months ago that they were planning on building here.
I hunted down that story you were referring to and it was actually a Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers that included a reference to a Grand Island opening in late 2010. I went to their website and they confirm GI is "coming soon", along with Lincoln and Omaha locations.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7495
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Thanks for the clarification. I'll just have to hang on till it gets here! A steakburger sounds good right now!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Freddy's is starting up! It's in the lot just north of the Verizon Store. Just talked to one of the guys from Lacy construction this afternoon!
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Big changes

Post by briboi2005 »

Per the chamber of commerce and a mall representitive, Dillards will be closing the grand island store mid to late January. We have heard this rumor before, however i know this source at the chamber to be correct. Dicks Sporting goods has looked into the space but has not confirmed at this point. The Mall rep has also stated that "there are some big names coming to the mall after the first of the year" But she could not give any names

Also Buffalo wild wings is finally coming across from the new marriott

Per this source with the chamber Olive garden has not been in contact with the chamber at this point. Which is the only thing I really want :-(

BUILD US AN OLIVE GARDEN FOR GOSH SAKES
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks for that info - and Welcome to eOmahaForums!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Nice info, Briboi. I'd heard about Dillards closing too, but no timeline. It's a nice space that should be marketable. I frankly never found Dillards selection or prices for mens clothing to be a draw. the height of that space suggests that it could be built out into a two level store if desired.

My contact for Olive Garden is a Red Lobster employee. Same company. We'll see eventually, I'd hope.

And yes, Melissa at the mall does a good job of keeping secrets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't set the bar too high on the BWW.  They are very over priced for what you get.
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

BWW set to break ground in December.

Also Sam and Louies pizza (from the Omaha Area) will be opening a store in GI. The owner has been pre shopping for supplies for the new store. Originally he was going to bulid in the old Movie gallery space on 2nd st. But he has now decided to choose a location on the west side of town (location pending) I must say I think thats a good decision on his part.

By the way I love how you knew the mall source was Melissa !! but as you said shes good at keeping secerts.
I hope your source is right about Olive Garden I would die!
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

PS just checked online looks like he has posted the info on the sam and louies web site--Check it out
Last edited by briboi2005 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sam and Louie's has some great pizza.  Not as good as Wave, however.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Just got back from Wichita and tried a Freddy's...pretty good. It's somewhere between a Sonic and a Culvers. Burgers were really good, shoestring fries, and the custard was amazing!

I Haven't been over there yet, but I keep getting told that someone has just broken ground outside the marriot. BWW?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

On Buffalo Wild Wings career page, they're advertising for a general manager for Grand Island, Nebraska. I'd say that's a good indicator that they're coming  :lol:
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

Construction has started on BWW, yes it is right infront of marriott.
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

Also a location has been posted for sam and louies on their website, address is not correct but the building pictured is in the shopping center over by qudoba.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

So, in the 4 years I have lived in Grand Island, why are we all of a sudden getting all these new places? I am not complaining, actually, I am overjoyed by it, but did I miss something? Is it the State Fair? Is it the 50,000 population mark? What is it?

Let's see if I can name all the "in progress" sites going up:
1. Buffalo Wild Wings (in front of Fairfield)
2. Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers (north of Verizon)
3. Sam & Louies Pizza (off of Diers Ave)
4. New Taco John's location (College and Webb)
5. New Casey's (Capital and 281)

Am I missing anything? I guess I am not up to date on what's happening on the south end of town. My wife is still waiting for the news on a Target. We'll see if that happens. Not counting on it though.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It's most likely not going to be a 32" waist.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I heard they are opening a Ziggy Piggy. (this is the rumor mill, right?)

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Goodwill just opened up a pretty nice looking second store on South Locust.

Sin City Grill just opened up downtown last week. We went on Friday around 7pm and found a full hour wait, so we went to Nathans instead.

The Blue Moon will be closing downtown at the end of the year and will reopen as a restaurant by the existing manager, I'm told.

Also, I saw activity at the Chocolate Bar on third, finally. Some folks carrying in sheet-rock.

As for Target... I'm not holding my breath. Been hearing that rumor for well over 5 years, with a location on the northeast corner of US34 and Locust, north of Walmart South and a Lowes on the Southwest corner. Don't see either actually happening, but who'd have ever guessed they'd build TWO Super Walmarts in GI for that matter?

Amigos/Kings Classic on South Locust is still renovating after their kitchen fire a few months ago. Taking the opportunity to update, I hear.

And finally, the new IFL football team, the Nebraska Danger, just today opened up a retail space for team apparel and season tickets at the Conestoga Mall for the holiday season.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Maybe those companies realized there is more to Nebraska than the eastern eighth.