Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Re: Grand Island Rumor Mill

Post by gisbuxfan »

It's can't happen soon enough. Granted it will be a pain for a while, but it will be a very nice improvement.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

filling up at pump and pantry I saw the signs up for Quaker steak and lube coming summer 2014 as was mentioned earlier.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

wehavetoliveit wrote:filling up at pump and pantry I saw the signs up for Quaker steak and lube coming summer 2014 as was mentioned earlier.
Yeah, Bossleman's have the signs posted all over the place, even at the Danger games. I have never had it before. May be worth a try.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

gisbuxfan wrote:
wehavetoliveit wrote:filling up at pump and pantry I saw the signs up for Quaker steak and lube coming summer 2014 as was mentioned earlier.
Yeah, Bossleman's have the signs posted all over the place, even at the Danger games. I have never had it before. May be worth a try.

I have been to the one in CB a few times. Not a bad place for the type of market they are after.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Well, all the news stations are now reporting Pepperjax Grill to open a Grand Island location by July this year. It will be opening just south of Panda Express.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:Well, all the news stations are now reporting Pepperjax Grill to open a Grand Island location by July this year. It will be opening just south of Panda Express.
Jeez, we were talking about that last April!

I heard over the weekend that a Perkins opened up in Norfolk and the Village Inn promptly closed. I was and still am a fan of Village Inn, having worked at one in Denver during high school. Nobody matches their buttermilk pancake recipe. I just wish they hadn't moved so far away from their pancake house concept. They had Buckwheat pancakes that were to die for and I ate way too many of the German Apple baked pancakes. The French and Swedish cakes were a treat too. Oh how I miss those days! IHOP just doesn't compare!
socaln8v
New to the Neighborhood

Post by socaln8v »

Hello everyone. Someone told me today that there's a Chuck E Cheese going in on Webb Rd. I guess where Party Hut was. Does anyone here know if that's true? Thanks
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Firehouse Subs coming to Grand Island, in the general area of State Street and Hwy 281.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I haven't heard either of those. However, I do think Grand Island needs its Quizno's back. Sad it closed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

gisbuxfan wrote:I haven't heard either of those. However, I do think Grand Island needs its Quizno's back. Sad it closed.
If you like Quizno's, you will like firehouse.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Brad wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:I haven't heard either of those. However, I do think Grand Island needs its Quizno's back. Sad it closed.
If you like Quizno's, you will like firehouse.
yeah, i tried Firehouse last year in Lincoln. Not so bad. I think I like Quizno's better.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140321/M ... -on-planes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not exactly a rumor, I suppose.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

That is pretty exciting for GI! We see a handful of planes in GI airspace each week, but I am trying to imagine 6000-7000 more planes over the next few years. GI airport is really making a mark!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That is a lot of additional plane traffic! From the photo in the article, it's amazing how much wiring is stuffed into a cockpit...a bit unnerving too! I'm surprised that is not the kind of service a traveling technician wouldn't just do at the airline's home bases/hub.

Good news for GI ...maybe not for the Sandhill Cranes though for a few weeks in the spring.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Ok, I have now heard the Chuck E Cheese rumor from multiple people now. Where did this originate? Any truth to it?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Haven't heard of it lately. I've been hearing Chuck E Cheese for 15 years, at least, so I'm pretty immune to those rumors anymore. Ranks right up there with Target coming to town... I'll believe it when the signage goes up.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Re:

Post by gisbuxfan »

wehavetoliveit wrote:Heard a rumor there was going to be a Village Inn in GI mall area.  Didn't say the exact location but I was thinking in the southwest corner of Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot?? next to 281.  Heard it from a local construction guy.  We will see
Heard this rumor again last night about Village Inn. Also been hearing things about the lot just south of First National Bank (former Platte Valley State Bank) and a new restaurant.

The interesting thing about the VI is the location. I heard they were looking on State St, west of Diers Ave.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

was in grand island last Saturday and saw the Petco sign has been up west of Bed Bath and Beyond. Anyone know when it is slated to open?
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Not sure when it will be opening up. I'd imagine by the end of Summer though. Men's Warehouse should also be opening up around the same time.

I am still waiting to see what takes over the newly renovated bays on the northern end of the mall near PetSense and Hibbit Sports.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

A company I do business with is finalizing a location in GI. Starting with 25 jobs & possibly growing to 100 or more. Mix of office and warehouse. They were very impressed with all the growth and business friendly attitude of the area.
They said they looked in Iowa and Nebraska. In Iowa they considered the Quad Cities and Des Moines and in Nebraska they looked at Kearney and Lincoln. Bottom line with GI was available land, I-80 access and communications. Could be the cranes too. You just never know.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

NovakOmaha wrote:A company I do business with is finalizing a location in GI. Starting with 25 jobs & possibly growing to 100 or more. Mix of office and warehouse. They were very impressed with all the growth and business friendly attitude of the area.
They said they looked in Iowa and Nebraska. In Iowa they considered the Quad Cities and Des Moines and in Nebraska they looked at Kearney and Lincoln. Bottom line with GI was available land, I-80 access and communications. Could be the cranes too. You just never know.
Cooooooooool! :banana:
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Any chance you can give us a "hint" at which company this is? :D
Tri-Cities has been growing crazy last couple years, even in hastings(where i live)has seen growth with Perkins halfway through construction and recently they started landwork for Autozone just south of Perkins.
Suit Up
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I asked if it was for public consumption & he said not yet. When they finish acquiring the property they'll make an announcement. I got the idea that he didn't want the price to go up before they bought it.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Latest census numbers put G.I. at 50,550
http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newest numbers are in, however, I would think the lack of housing in GI is really keeping this from exploding.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:was in grand island last Saturday and saw the Petco sign has been up west of Bed Bath and Beyond.  Anyone know when it is slated to open?
Drove by Petco last night. Sign says it will open June 9th.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Ground work for Pepper Jax finally underway between Panda Express and First National Bank.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:was in grand island last Saturday and saw the Petco sign has been up west of Bed Bath and Beyond.  Anyone know when it is slated to open?
Great! now i won't have to make random trips to lincoln to go and get aquarium supplies or order online. Any chance you know when Mens Warehouse is slated to open, i am getting married latter this year and our tuxs are from mens warehouse.
Suit Up
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

gisbuxfan wrote:Latest census numbers put G.I. at 50,550
http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newest numbers are in, however, I would think the lack of housing in GI is really keeping this from exploding.
That's amazing. I thought GI was a bit smaller. What's driving so much growth? Industry?
No posts exist for this topic
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

badlander wrote:Ground work for Pepper Jax finally underway between Panda Express and First National Bank.
We really like Pepperjax Grill. It isn't unusual for lines to form at their Omaha locations.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
Great! now i won't have to make random trips to lincoln to go and get aquarium supplies or order online.  Any chance you know when Mens Warehouse is slated to open, i am getting married latter this year and our tuxs are from mens warehouse.
I can't be sure when they open, but probably in the next month. All their fixtures are going up inside and I am sure clothes will be filling shelves soon after. However, I have not seen any signs about job applications. Not sure how they are doing their hiring.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

nativeomahan wrote:
badlander wrote:Ground work for Pepper Jax finally underway between Panda Express and First National Bank.
We really like Pepperjax Grill.  It isn't unusual for lines to form at their Omaha locations.
We love Pepperjax. Very excited its coming to GI!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

MadMartin8 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:Latest census numbers put G.I. at 50,550

That's amazing. I thought GI was a bit smaller. What's driving so much growth? Industry?
Mostly. Tons of housing construction is also resulting in not only construction jobs, but new housing units, obviously, which translates into population growth. Plenty of workers commute to town and the new housing helps add to the numbers. According to City-data, the daytime population of GI goes up +6,657.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
Great! now i won't have to make random trips to lincoln to go and get aquarium supplies or order online.  Any chance you know when Mens Warehouse is slated to open, i am getting married latter this year and our tuxs are from mens warehouse.
Men's Warehouse is open now! Just stopped in tonight and they had said they opened yesterday. They have a couple local staff and also some staff from other stores around.

Petco is now open too. Grand Opening will be this weekend.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Former Red Mango which closed down a couple months ago will be reopening as a Topperz Frozen Yogurt shop. In other news...Pepperjax is finally going up!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

New name, access, store fronts and more coming to1970's era Grand Island Mall.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... TNNoMobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

the new brochure for the project:

http://tsgproperties.com/graphics/resou ... 2901ce.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:the new brochure for the project:

http://tsgproperties.com/graphics/resou ... 2901ce.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This will really change the landscape of the area! Although, I am wondering if they can fill the store fronts. There are still several areas of the north side of the development that are sitting empty. I think access from 281 to Webb will be key in this.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:

This will really change the landscape of the area! Although, I am wondering if they can fill the store fronts. There are still several areas of the north side of the development that are sitting empty. I think access from 281 to Webb will be key in this.
That is what i thought too gisbuxfan, but aparently an entrance from 281 into the "common" was not in their vision. North Hastings has been growing quite a bit in the last year or two, Autozone is about to open and Perkins just opened last week!
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:

That is what i thought too gisbuxfan, but aparently an entrance from 281 into the "common" was not in their vision.  North Hastings has been growing quite a bit in the last year or two, Autozone is about to open and Perkins just opened last week!
I can always dream. That is one piece so many of these properties is missing, direct access from 281. It's a little of a double edge sword. We love the improved areas with new businesses and all that, put the traffic flow around the area is awful. That is especially true on the west side of 281 with Diers Ave. The City will eventually need to do something about it, but its not going to be pretty.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I can't imagine the state granting access via US281. That's too close to both State St and Capital Ave, a half mile apart and the rest of 281 intersections through town are at the half mile points. I don't think the access fromthree sides- Capital and State and Webb, are all that bad and shoppers have shown that if you're a destination, they don't care where your driveway is... looking at both Kohls and HyVee.