Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Re: Grand Island Rumor Mill

Post by bbtran72 »

Hastings and Kearney did not work out for Hardee's back in the day, hope GI round 2 will. I Actually think that if they come back again in Hastings they could survive, especially where perkins and taco bell is.

Candleshoe wrote:And Hardees returns to GI. Going to build across the lot from Burger King on N Webb RD in front of Dicks Sporting Goods.

A better menu and location than their last try. The Fazoli's on W Second was their original home.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:Hastings and Kearney did not work out for Hardee's back in the day, hope GI round 2 will. I Actually think that if they come back again in Hastings they could survive, especially where perkins and taco bell is.

Candleshoe wrote:And Hardees returns to GI. Going to build across the lot from Burger King on N Webb RD in front of Dicks Sporting Goods.

A better menu and location than their last try. The Fazoli's on W Second was their original home.

Actually, Hardees did fine in Kearney, located at the corner of Main and Main like they were. The owner got smitten by the idea of a Qdoba franchise though and didn't want two restaurants to run, so he made the switch.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:Hastings and Kearney did not work out for Hardee's back in the day, hope GI round 2 will. I Actually think that if they come back again in Hastings they could survive, especially where perkins and taco bell is.

Actually, Hardees did fine in Kearney, located at the corner of Main and Main like they were. The owner got smitten by the idea of a Qdoba franchise though and didn't want two restaurants to run, so he made the switch.
I attended the University in Kearney for a few years and Hardees always seemed to do well especially as it was close to campus. Honestly, I don't blame the owner for making the switch. Hardees is a great choice if you are in the market for grease.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This isn't a rumor, as it has opened. El Jalepeños Mexican Grill, at 2418 N. Webb Road, has a large menu of delicious food. And the margaritas are both large and delicious as well.
The restaurant is owned by the same people who run La Cabana on South Locust. The menus are identical.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Returning to the conversation on the old K-Mart property, here is a snippet from a story in todays Indy.
That 93,000-square-foot property will include Planet Fitness, a yet-to-be-named national specialty grocery store and another nationally known retail property.
Let the speculation begin...
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Returning to the conversation on the old K-Mart property, here is a snippet from a story in todays Indy.
That 93,000-square-foot property will include Planet Fitness, a yet-to-be-named national specialty grocery store and another nationally known retail property.
Let the speculation begin...
Planet Fitness is a sure bet. I'll believe the other two when I see it. I have been checking out the property developers website and the the other sites are still listed as available.

Northwest Commons is also the same developer and can be found here too.
http://tsgproperties.com/StateListings. ... e=Nebraska
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Word has it that realtor Tim Plate is purchasing Fonner View Golf Course for redevelopment as housing.

That's sad. A perfectly nice little par 3 9-hole course is lost to a subdivision in an interesting choice of a location for housing. It's adjacent to the Wood River, which frequently has spring and early summer flooding, leaving a few fairways under water for days at a time... adjacent to the main truck route to Swift packing... directly south of the Fonner Park horse barns... He'd remove most of the magnificent mature trees...

We'll see if there are any buyers for Plates plan.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Update on the old KMart property. Rumor has it that besides Planet Fitness, the food store that will be in the building will be Fresh Thyme Farmers Market.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Candleshoe wrote:Update on the old KMart property. Rumor has it that besides Planet Fitness, the food store that will be in the building will be Fresh Thyme Farmers Market.
Fresh Thyme are wonderful stores. Very popular in Omaha!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The old Steak Buffet place on Webb Road is being remodeled. Any idea what is going in there?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

A few updates on projects:

-Capital Ave widening project is nearly complete. The last section of the south lanes will be poured soon. This includes completion of the hike/bike trail.
-GI City Council has rezoned and given full approval for the second hospital to be built on the southwest corner of Hwy 281 and Hwy 34.
-Sewer line project along Sheridan Ave to State St is also nearly done.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

It's been kinda quiet around ol' GI for new business development, and then I hear that Burlington Coat Factory may be coming to the Northwest Commons near Dicks Sporting Goods.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Candleshoe wrote:Update on the old KMart property. Rumor has it that besides Planet Fitness, the food store that will be in the building will be Fresh Thyme Farmers Market.
Fresh Thyme Farmers Market joining G.I’s retail landscapre
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The Fresh Thyme store in Omaha is very very popular. A heavy emphasis on produce, plus great baked goods and very nice salad and olive bars.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

According to The Staenburg Group Developers website, Burlington Coat Factory will be the 2nd anchor store next to Dick's Sporting Goods. Construction is in progress.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

At this rate they'll have every franchise we do, go GI.
15-17, 26, 32
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The Highway 281 corridor is nearly full. This is where most of the new development has been over the past 10 years. There is still a lot of potential to develop all the way out to the interstate, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Grand Island is growing very quickly and its putting a lot of pressure on the infrastructure. Schools are overcrowded, streets and traffic are a mess, and city government is just trying to keep up. While I am happy to see all the new stores and restaurants, there is a lot more to deal with then just the commercial side of things.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What do you mean quickly it was 81,850 in 2010 and 85,066 in 2015 that's adding a measly 643.2 a year. If you think that's overloading the infrastructure you haven't seen the Sunbelt or the coasts. heck the Omaha (MSA) is adding 9,992.4 a year and it's barely noticeable.
15-17, 26, 32
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

MTO wrote:What do you mean quickly it was 81,850 in 2010 and 85,066 in 2015 that's adding a measly 643.2 a year. If you think that's overloading the infrastructure you haven't seen the Sunbelt or the coasts. heck the Omaha (MSA) is adding 9,992.4 a year and it's barely noticeable.
Sorry, I meant growing quickly as far as the inflow of new businesses (restaurants, retail, etc.) The traffic issues along 281 are getting pretty bad. A couple of months ago, there was some talk about lots more road projects coming to account for the increased traffic flow through this area.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I spent some time there last month the traffic is far from a problem yet. I saw there are a plethora of new franchises but from what I understand that has more to do with modern business models (pushing down markets) than a surging population. It's too bad because GI would be better off cultivating their own home grown stores not letting these massive out of town franchises syphoning off money squeezing out the little guy. And when I was out and about at five o'clock on a Friday or anytime for that matter there were absolutely no crowds, seriously it felt like a sleepy gulch. I think ultimately adding a mere 650 a year is a good thing it'll allow the the communities to expand the infrastructure at an affordable rate.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From an article in today's OWH:

http://www.omaha.com/money/fresh-thyme- ... 545dc.html
By Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The company said it expects to have a total of 70 stores by the end of 2017. A Grand Island store could be in the works in 2018
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Longtime downtown eatery/bar Nathan Detroit will be closing sometime this Spring. A very cool atmosphere and awesome exterior, but the owner stopped caring about the menu twenty years ago when his brother passed away. The food is still quite good, but a rather limited and predictable selection.

The good news is that it will be replaced by Kinkaiders brew pub. Kinkaiders is expanding operations from their home base just outside Broken Bow. They'll be friendly competition with Prairie Pride Brew Pub, directly across the street.

ImageNathan Detroits by Joe, on Flickr
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Good news, Kinkaider is another up and coming Nebraska brewery.
Their Frame the Butcher IPA is outstanding.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Candleshoe wrote:The good news is that it will be replaced by Kinkaiders brew pub. Kinkaiders is expanding operations from their home base just outside Broken Bow. They'll be friendly competition with Prairie Pride Brew Pub, directly across the street.
Not if LB632 passes. http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t ... 58#p272458
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

What is going in at the corner of 281 and Faidley? Haven't been paying attention if it was in the news. Have no idea if true but was told possibly Popeyes going in at 281 and 13th former Byco location. Also apparently nothing is happening with the Hardee's that was supposed to be on North Webb by Dicks.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

wehavetoliveit wrote:What is going in at the corner of 281 and Faidley? Haven't been paying attention if it was in the news. Have no idea if true but was told possibly Popeyes going in at 281 and 13th former Byco location. Also apparently nothing is happening with the Hardee's that was supposed to be on North Webb by Dicks.
MedExpress, an urgent care company, is going in at 281 and Faidley.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

wehavetoliveit wrote:What is going in at the corner of 281 and Faidley? Haven't been paying attention if it was in the news. Have no idea if true but was told possibly Popeyes going in at 281 and 13th former Byco location. Also apparently nothing is happening with the Hardee's that was supposed to be on North Webb by Dicks.
That Byco location doesn't have the lot size to support much parking. A choice location for something, but a relatively small triangle.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:
That Byco location doesn't have the lot size to support much parking. A choice location for something, but a relatively small triangle.
Bosselman's did sell that little corner lot.

02-24-2017 2017-1209 1 BOSSELMAN PUMP & PANTRY INC SCM 10X GRAND ISLAND 1309 LLC 700,000

We will see what happens.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Funny enough, this is the second time I have heard chicken when it comes to this lot.
Jeffg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeffg »

Looks to me like the building on 281 and fadely will be I -Hop. Judging by the way the new ihops look it's not a popeyes or med place
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

Jeffg wrote:Looks to me like the building on 281 and fadely will be I -Hop. Judging by the way the new ihops look it's not a popeyes or med place
I wish it was ihop but pretty sure there is a sign there now that says coming soon "med express"
TOPGUN
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TOPGUN »

Would anyone be willing to go to a restaurant similar to IHOP or the egg and i but only ran by someone from Grand Island?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

TOPGUN wrote:Would anyone be willing to go to a restaurant similar to IHOP or the egg and i but only ran by someone from Grand Island?
We prefer to eat at locally run places here. Chains have a habit of fading to mediocrity trying to be everything to everyone. A restaurant that is run by someone with an idea and a focus on a given market will usually come out on top.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TOPGUN wrote:Would anyone be willing to go to a restaurant similar to IHOP or the egg and i but only ran by someone from Grand Island?
We have a place almost like you ask in Omaha. Nick Bartholomew, proprietor of Over Easy, is making a name for himself in Omaha. When your reputation is your living you get quality food. When you have a manager of a chain, you get a paycheck.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Under good management, I'd try about anything.
socaln8v
New to the Neighborhood

Post by socaln8v »

Does anyone know what's going into the Smitty's Dance Co location when they leave? Thanks
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Coyote wrote:
Fresh Thyme Farmers Market joining G.I’s retail landscapre
Expect to see more activity on the Fresh Thyme Farmers Market addition, contractors are being lined up as of now.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Contractor's for the Hardee's building are lining up, so expect to see activity pick up by Dick's.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:
Contractor's for the Hardee's building are lining up, so expect to see activity pick up by Dick's.
I was wondering when this was happening. I kind of wondered if it had fallen through.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I am curious about the property located on the south west corner of North Rd and 13th St. According to the assessor's office it has been sold to MEADOWS APARMENT HOMES, LLC. This is the same owner as the property that the Verizon store off HWY 281 sits on. Anyone know the intentions of this owner with this property?