Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Yankeesnick
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Grand Island Rumor Mill

Post by Yankeesnick »

Overheard some people at Taco Johns on Webb today saying Popeye's Chicken is going in North of there?
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Spring City Indoor Trampoline to open in the fall in the old Hastings space near Dick's Sporting Goods. http://www.jumpspringcity.com
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yankeesnick wrote:Overheard some people at Taco Johns on Webb today saying Popeye's Chicken is going in North of there?
Now that would make me smile!
snunn14
New to the Neighborhood

Post by snunn14 »

Yankeesnick wrote:Overheard some people at Taco Johns on Webb today saying Popeye's Chicken is going in North of there?
Hardee's is going in North of that Taco Johns. Would be nice to see a Popeyes though!!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Update on the former K-Mart on 281, it's now filled with the announcement that Home Goods will take the last of the remaining square footage, with an opening in the Spring of 2018.
Other new tenants of the building include Planet Fitness, Fresh Thyme Farmers Market, which will begin remodeling soon for an early 2018 opening, and a locally owned auto detail shop in the former Penske Auto space.

In other new biz news, Burlington will open their new 40,000 store on Sept 8. Located between Shopko and Dicks Sporting Goods.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Two restaurants announced they would not be renewing their leases at their existing locations in GI. Denny's, which is located inside the Boarders Inn on South Locust St and Fazoli's Italian, located at the foot of the W Hiway 30/2nd Street overpass.

Fazoli's corporate owned the store and said they could not work out a new lease agreement that satisfied them. They are open to relocating elsewhere in GI, while there is no relocation word on the Dennys.

The Denny's suffered from absentee ownership with chronic staffing and management issues. The Fazolis was always a popular eatery, so it's conceivable they could be back.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Just an observation on the now-closed Fazoli's location on W 2nd St...

For a day, the building was shuttered. Now, it appears to be in major remodel mode.

Hmmmmmm...
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Just an observation on the now-closed Fazoli's location on W 2nd St...

For a day, the building was shuttered. Now, it appears to be in major remodel mode.

Hmmmmmm...
It's a high traffic area. I wouldn't be surprised if it filled up fast.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

This was in the paper tonight from the Regional Planning Commission. I wondered if anyone knows any specifics on this plan..

" Consider approving a preliminary and final plat for Millennial Estates Subdivision, located south of 13th Street and east of North Road."
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
socaln8v
New to the Neighborhood

Post by socaln8v »

Has anyone heard about this? Sounds kind of neat. I saw this post for an open position. The company hiring is Bosselman Enterprises but the post doesn't have any address or location info:
"NEW RESTAURANT COMING TO THE GRAND ISLAND AREA! TOMMY GUNZ IS A PROHIBITION THEMED HIGH END RESTAURANT SERVING BREAKFAST/LUNCH AND A FINE DINING EXPERIENCE. IT WILL FEATURE A FINE WINE BAR."
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

socaln8v wrote:Has anyone heard about this? Sounds kind of neat. I saw this post for an open position. The company hiring is Bosselman Enterprises but the post doesn't have any address or location info:
"NEW RESTAURANT COMING TO THE GRAND ISLAND AREA! TOMMY GUNZ IS A PROHIBITION THEMED HIGH END RESTAURANT SERVING BREAKFAST/LUNCH AND A FINE DINING EXPERIENCE. IT WILL FEATURE A FINE WINE BAR."
Original plan called for the location to be on the south end of their just remodeled corporate office on South Locust St. Not sure if that is still the plan.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Social media is all atwitter (!) with rumors of Popeyes going in to the old Fazolis/old Pump & Pantry on 281/old KFC on 2nd St/or where Hardees is going... Additional rumors have Chipotle going into the same places.

Stay tuned... :roll: :roll: :roll:
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Candleshoe wrote:Social media is all atwitter (!) with rumors of Popeyes going in to the old Fazolis/old Pump & Pantry on 281/old KFC on 2nd St/or where Hardees is going... Additional rumors have Chipotle going into the same places.

Stay tuned... :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Popeyes here in Millard is in a former Hardees. When it was Hardees in the 90s I ate there 3 or 4 times. Since it turned into Popeyes about 2005 I have ate there once a week so thats like well over 500 times. Popeyes is like crack cocaine.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Just announced today another restaurant is closing.. Whiskey Creek closes after nearly 20 years in GI.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/busi ... d40d5.html
gichick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by gichick »

I was browsing a job search site and ran into a listing for Spencer's gifts in GI. Not sure where they are going or if it's just a Holiday thing, but I believe it's legit.

Also, does anyone know what they're putting in the strip mall on Locust right behind Pizza Hut? They're remodeling the whole front of the building and adding a new section.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gichick wrote:I was browsing a job search site and ran into a listing for Spencer's gifts in GI. Not sure where they are going or if it's just a Holiday thing, but I believe it's legit.

Also, does anyone know what they're putting in the strip mall on Locust right behind Pizza Hut? They're remodeling the whole front of the building and adding a new section.
Spencers will usually run a Halloween store at the mall each year. There's also been a toy/game/calendar store out there the last few Christmas seasons, but I don't know who the home company is on that.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Candleshoe wrote:
gichick wrote:I was browsing a job search site and ran into a listing for Spencer's gifts in GI. Not sure where they are going or if it's just a Holiday thing, but I believe it's legit.

Spencers will usually run a Halloween store at the mall each year. There's also been a toy/game/calendar store out there the last few Christmas seasons, but I don't know who the home company is on that.
Go! Calendars is owned by Go! Retail Group out of Austin Tx, the location at Westroads/Omaha became a year round store after the Christmas season last year. Previous years they would open from Oct thru the end of January
shefloper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by shefloper »

Has anyone heard what is going in at the location two lots to the North of Mirror Image Car Wash or just East of the North Walmart? Between Diers Avenue and 281. Thank you in advance...
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

shefloper wrote:Has anyone heard what is going in at the location two lots to the North of Mirror Image Car Wash or just East of the North Walmart? Between Diers Avenue and 281. Thank you in advance...
I'd heard another tire store... don't recall the name of it.
Yankeesnick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Yankeesnick »

Candleshoe wrote:
shefloper wrote:Has anyone heard what is going in at the location two lots to the North of Mirror Image Car Wash or just East of the North Walmart? Between Diers Avenue and 281. Thank you in advance...
I'd heard another tire store... don't recall the name of it.
I’d like to see Discount Tire come to GI, I’ve had bad luck with Big O.
gichick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by gichick »

They tore down the old Uncle Ed's/Village Inn on Locust. Speculation is Burger King is moving in there and they'll close the other S. Locust location. Anyone hear anything about that?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gichick wrote:They tore down the old Uncle Ed's/Village Inn on Locust. Speculation is Burger King is moving in there and they'll close the other S. Locust location. Anyone hear anything about that?
I'd heard that too. That would be a nice upgrade for BK, the one in the strip mall is pretty underwhelming and hard to get to sometimes. It's an OK addition to the fast food landscape that far south, kind of slim pickings for now. At least it's new development. With all the new hotels down there along with the WalMart, and the new Talon Apartment complex, I'm surprised there isn't more service oriented new activity.
Yankeesnick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Yankeesnick »

Was in Discount Tire in Omaha over the weekend, the manager told me the are building a store in GI across the street from Walmart. I would guess it’s the construction that’s happening now East of the North Walmart, but could be wrong.
socaln8v
New to the Neighborhood

Post by socaln8v »

Not sure if you've got an answer on your second question yet or not but thought I'd offer some info. Before the Pizza Hut was torn down, we had gone there to eat and it was locked. We asked the people inside why it was locked and we were told by an employee that they were closing down the restaurant until the new construction was completed. Pizza Hut is going to be in the addition of the strip mall.
Last edited by socaln8v on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankeesnick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Yankeesnick »

Heard this morning that Papa Murphy’s is closing!?
gichick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by gichick »

Yes, Papa Murphy's closed as well as Carnivore Meats.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Royal Indian Cuisine announced on their Facebook page they are closing. This is a real loss as they were unique to this town and high quality food.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:Royal Indian Cuisine announced on their Facebook page they are closing. This is a real loss as they were unique to this town and high quality food.
They suffered the same fate as the three or four previous restaurant tenants of that strip mall... nobody knew they were there. The little strip mall is tucked away and filled with destination businesses and if you weren't going there for a specific reason, you'd never know what was in there.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Popeyes coming to GI. Corner of 13th and 281, where former Pump & Pantry was located. Pizza Ranch looking to locate in town as well.
Last edited by badlander on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

badlander wrote:Popeye's coming to GI. Corner of 13th and 281, where former Pump & Pantry was located.
That's going to be a snug fit in that triangle space. Will be interesting to see the design to make it work.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

The new Bosselman HQ in the old KMart/Skagway South building on S Locust is going to be adding some tenants pretty soon. A new liquor store will occupy Suite 1, while "Tommy Gunz Bistro" will occupy Suite 2. It will be a Prohibition era speakeasy themed restaurant and wine bar. It's also being discussed that the GI Chamber of Commerce may be moving from their downtown building into the Bosselman complex.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:
badlander wrote:Popeye's coming to GI. Corner of 13th and 281, where former Pump & Pantry was located.
That's going to be a snug fit in that triangle space. Will be interesting to see the design to make it work.
Yeah, that will be interesting to see. I am guessing they will be tearing down the existing building?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Pizza Ranch will go in the old Whiskey Creek. Opening this summer.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Candleshoe wrote:Pizza Ranch will go in the old Whiskey Creek. Opening this summer.

Any idea on the owner? I know one of them and he has opened a second location a little over a year ago and was looking at another. In both of his other cases he has renovated existing locati9ns rather than build new.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

nebugeater wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:Pizza Ranch will go in the old Whiskey Creek. Opening this summer.

Any idea on the owner? I know one of them and he has opened a second location a little over a year ago and was looking at another. In both of his other cases he has renovated existing locati9ns rather than build new.
Group owners, with a local Grand Island person and Brad Cleveringa, Tyler Sickles and Harlyn Vander Griend
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Candleshoe wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Group owners, with a local Grand Island person and Brad Cleveringa, Tyler Sickles and Harlyn Vander Griend
One of those is who I thought it might be.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

A groundbreaking has been announced for the new Emergency Management & Communications building which will be located at the southwest corner of 13th and North Rd.

Also, in Tuesday night's city council meeting, Blessing Construction (Kearney, NE) was awarded the 13th St repavement project. This is a two part project widening 13th St to 4 lanes from Diers Ave to North Rd and installing a round a bout at the intersection of 13th and North Rd. The project is expected to be complete by November 2018.
socaln8v
New to the Neighborhood

Post by socaln8v »

Hello everyone,
Is there anything new going on at the KFC that was on 2nd street? It looked to me today that it was being painted so I wondered if it's being prepped for selling or is there another restaurant already taking over. Thanks. Love this thread for interesting GI info.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

socaln8v wrote:Hello everyone,
Is there anything new going on at the KFC that was on 2nd street? It looked to me today that it was being painted so I wondered if it's being prepped for selling or is there another restaurant already taking over. Thanks. Love this thread for interesting GI info.

Only thing I've heard is that somebody from Omaha was opening a Mexican restaurant there. No other details yet...
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

New Veteran's Legacy Project plan released. Cost estimated at $95+ million. Got to dream big!

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... ec1f9.html