Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I overheard a conversation a while ago about the contractor for Texas Roadhouse. It was said that he is one of the best in the state. He was given a March opening date and from the looks of it, he may be done by Christmas. If there is a bonus for finishing early, he'll have a nice Christmas present this year. On the flip side, both Olive Garden and Panera Bread will probably finish on time for the April opening date.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

As much as I'm looking forward to Olive Garden, I am mighty impressed by the offerings and staff at Napoli's Italian Restaurant. We've been eating there about every other week and really like it. This will no doubt be pretty rough on them and I hope they make it through ok
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Napoli's is very good. We have been there twice so far. The service and food has been excellent. Don't get me wrong though, we love Olive Garden. Or maybe we love it because we don't have it. Who knows. I will, however, be in Panera Bread every other week for sure.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Drove past the Texas Roadhouse last night around 6. It's got the signage in place and was all lit up, look like it was open. It's not, but you'd never know by the looks of the place. About a dozen pickup trucks outside, so they're putting in extra hours to get 'er done.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

The latest entry in the GI Restaurant scene? The Howard Johnsons on South Locust will undergo a remodel and expansion of the restaurant and lounge wing and the old Garden Cafe, which never lived up to the reputation, will be turned into a full fledged Dennys.
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

opening for the Texas roadhouse is posted for may a couple weeks ago on their website...however progress would seem that may would be a long time off. anyone heard anything on possible opening date?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I have heard late April, early May. However, I would think they could start staffing and be open by Valentine's Day if they really wanted to.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Drove through their parking lot last night after we stopped at HyVee. there were workers inside around 7:30 sitting at tables, looking like they were eating. The dining room looks to be already finished or close to it. There is a lot of landscaping material in the parking lot. I think a Valentines opening should be verrrrry do-able.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I pulled in to Starbucks this morning for my Sunday coffee. Not only were the TV's turned on, but all the lights were on too. Glad to hear there were workers there. While I haven't been looking for it, I haven't seen any employee openings announcements.

As far as Panera/OG, I think April or May is more likely for them. I am really happy to see those coming along too. They should look very nice once complete.

In a conversation this last week, talk of an IHOP resurfaced again. Is there any weight to that one?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

We had occasion to stop at the Gretna Denny's yesterday on a return trip from Omaha. I honestly hadn't set foot in a Denny's since the 80's, when I recall dining in the one in Bellevue.

First impressions: I always liked the old Denny's decor. It was bright, airy and just a little bit garish, but in a good way, the way that a coffee shop ought to be. I never really took Denny's seriously as a sit down restaurant. They were the kind of place, when I lived in Denver, to go after a concert or party in the wee hours, or for a good greasy Sunday morning breakfast. That being said, the Gretna Dennys, which is a standard modern Dennys design, seems rather ordinary. Nothing special, but pleasant. Considering it's at a truckstop, it's a couple steps up from the typical truck stop coffee shop/restaurant.

The staff seemed to be quite possibly imported from Arkansas... They were pleasant, but kinda short on teeth in general. The food was probably just a notch below Perkins in quality and priced about a dollar higher on average. I thought it was an interesting touch to have HDTV's mounted on the walls, but they were getting poor reception as the TV's were frequently buffering.

The final touch though, was the really cute cashier. I'm sure hoping she is new, cuz when the receipt came out of the register, it had the familiar purplish streak on it. I said "oooooh, pretty" just to joke around a little. She smiled and said "yes, it is". Then, she blew me away when she said "I wonder why it's doing that?" and then opened up the printer and said "Oh my god, the rest of the roll is like that!".

So, that being said, yes... I kind of wish the Dennys that is coming to GI were instead an IHOP. I haven't heard any rumblings of any IHOP in a long time. don't think it would be prudent to bring one in at this moment.

However... not all IHOP's are created equal. The last two I visited were stark contrasts.

Englewood, Colorado... huge, modern, roomy and sweeeeeeeet! Loved it! The food was steamy and flavorful.
Longmont, Colorado... medium size, kind of drab, cluttered and didn't love it. The food seemed pedestrian.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I don't recall there being a standalone Denny's in Gretna. Are you talking about the one in the Flying J off of Exit 432? If so, that was just a Flying J truck stop restaurant which was rebranded as a Denny's.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:I don't recall there being a standalone Denny's in Gretna. Are you talking about the one in the Flying J off of Exit 432? If so, that was just a Flying J truck stop restaurant which was rebranded as a Denny's.

That is the only Denny's with a Gretna address.  Didn't Flying J change all of their truck stop restaurants from their in house brand to a Denny's franchise?

I will add that the TWO times I have tried the Flying J Denny's since the re-branding my satisfaction was, lets say, no where near what was detailed above.  Once I left terribly disappointed and the second try (always will give a second chance) my daughter and I left after 20 Min of no service and flagging the help down twice to see who was supposed to be waiting on us and still no help other than being seated by the host.  All the help was standing and chatting at the counter seating and there were six or eight table seated.  Two of us had no help and the other one left right after us seeing us leave.  This was a week night evening about 6:30 PM.  Two chances is all they get and I am not going back.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:I will add that the TWO times I have tried the Flying J Denny's since the re-branding my satisfaction was, lets say, no where near what was detailed above.  
I was rather p*ssed when that happened.

I'm friends with a couple who drive for Swift and since the Flying-J is not too far from me, we used to meet up there when they would be driving through. It was actually very decent food and not as zooey as Sapp Bros.

We tried the New Improved Denny's version once. :( Big step down hill! :( In my not so humble opinion it was poor for Denny's. :( I'm very sure that their business has dropped off since the change.

We now get together at Sapp Bros. in CB when they drive through.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Yes, I was referring to the Flying J Dennys. The bad news is that the Flying J Dennys is owned by the same franchisee as the one being built in GI, which won't be a standalone either, but physically attached to the Howard Johnson Hotel. the franchisee put them in three Flying J's across the state, including North Platte and Ogallala.
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

Unless my eyes were deceiving me, Sam and Louie's was dark when I drove by about 5:45 this evening...
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I heard they were shut down until further notice. That normally means the health department came through and didn't like what they saw. Too bad! They have great pizza!
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:So, obviously we have quite a bit of activity here in GI. However, I'm not sure if Kearney or Hastings are seeing the same kind of growth. (Minus hospital growth). Personally, I love it! I did just read that the CNRA is also adding a parking structure soon. Great news! Now if they can only get in a Soutwest flight. We'd be set!
Not big of a growth as grand island, but i am pretty happy(even though i'm not a big fan of applebees) that Hastings is finally getting one.  Hopefully this will paved the way for other chain restaurants.  There are way too many bar food and fast food so it's nice for once to see one.
Suit Up
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

gisbuxfan wrote:So, obviously we have quite a bit of activity here in GI. However, I'm not sure if Kearney or Hastings are seeing the same kind of growth. (Minus hospital growth). Personally, I love it! I did just read that the CNRA is also adding a parking structure soon. Great news! Now if they can only get in a Soutwest flight. We'd be set!
Not sure about Southwest but I keep looking for Allegiant to Florida or LA
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Look for Orlando sometime a year or so from now if all goes well. Allegiant is interested, but needs a longer runway which is budget for and will be happening presumably this coming year. Extra distance means extra fuel and they're not too keen on the longest runway being a hair over 7,000 feet, so the plans are for a minimum 8,000 length. Currently in the study phase, along with a new terminal building to replace the 1960's vintage current terminal which has been added on to a few times. [/quote]
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Candleshoe wrote:
Look for Orlando sometime a year or so from now if all goes well. Allegiant is interested, but needs a longer runway which is budget for and will be happening presumably this coming year. Extra distance means extra fuel and they're not too keen on the longest runway being a hair over 7,000 feet, so the plans are for a minimum 8,000 length. Currently in the study phase, along with a new terminal building to replace the 1960's vintage current terminal which has been added on to a few times.
[/quote]

At the rate things are going you could probably pick up Lincoln's terminal cheap.  ;)

I find the dynamic between Omaha, Lincoln & Grand Island airports fascinating.
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

I have not seen any work on Skagway grocery renovation project in a long time.  The word I heard was that they spent too much on the parking lot and work they had already done and needed to find a new loan to finish up with the other work that they had planned.  

The five points intersection on the whole looks a lot nicer than it did, I don't remember what the dollar figures of redevelopment money/TIF was to say if it was money well spent, but it is an improvement.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Skagway... now that's a name I haven't heard in years... I didn't realize they were still in business.  How did Omaha lose it's stores??
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

wehavetoliveit wrote:I have not seen any work on Skagway grocery renovation project in a long time.  The word I heard was that they spent too much on the parking lot and work they had already done and needed to find a new loan to finish up with the other work that they had planned.  
I can't imagine the Skagway family having any funding problems. The renovations outside are largely finished. The work now continues on the interior, with the opening of the Home Federal Bank branch just last week. The banquet center is a big addition and I don't imagine you can see the work going on that from inside the store. I haven't been to the Five Points location in a few months, as I live just a few blocks from the south one. I'll nose around and see if I hear anything.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Stargazer wrote:Skagway... now that's a name I haven't heard in years... I didn't realize they were still in business.  How did Omaha lose it's stores??
According to the Skagway website, in 1959 there were 17 O.P.Skaggs stores in Nebraska, named after Oscar Pepper Skaggs. The Martin family of GI purchased the chain in 1939. The first "Skagway" opened in GI in '59. In 1964, they sold off the O.P.Skaggs stores to concentrate on larger superstores. That same year, a new store in Omaha opened with over 100,000 square feet and a gas station at 72nd and L.

I believe it was sold in 1968 to American Stores and eventually became, ironically enough, a "Skaggs" store, no relation to Skagway.

I don't know any official reason for the sale. I can only suspect it was either that the Martins overextended themselves trying to be a big player in Omaha, or else they were made an offer they couldn't refuse.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

does anyone know what happened to the factory card outlet? drove by and it was empty inside..
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:does anyone know what happened to the factory card outlet? drove by and it was empty inside..
Last I heard was that "Party City" acquired the Factory Card Outlet chain a year or two ago and was going to be rebranding the stores. I had heard they would gut the GI store and reopen later. I certainly hope that's the case... it was a pretty handy store sometimes.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Interesting story in the Independent this morning about the recent additions and coming attractions in the GI restaurant scene. Olive Garden, Panera Bread, Texas Roadhouse and Dennys are opening soon.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 3ce6c.html

I thought I'd reprint the list of GI restaurants that the paper offered up today. Noticeably absent is Sam and Louie's, which has a "Closed till further notice" sign on the door. Also missing are the coffee shops that serve food but aren't really restaurants as such. The big question in the story was, "Is GI oversaturated with restaurants yet?". The answer seemed to be that it is in some segments, not in others. Judge for yourself... here's the list.

Grand Island's restaurants

Afternooner's, 3773 Sky Park Road

Amigos, 2325 N. Webb Road  

Amigos, 2504 S. Locust St.  

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar, 721 Diers Ave.

Arby's Roast Beef , 7980 S. Hwy. 281

Arby's Roast Beef, 2333 N. Webb Road  

Arby's Roast Beef, 1204 S. Locust St.  

Arco Iris Paleteria, 304 W. 15th St.  

Balz Sports Café, 3421 W. State St.  

Bandits, 1016 Diers Ave. Ste 118  

Big Apple Bagels, 3341 W. State St.  

Bonzai Beach Club/The Wave Pizza Company, 107 N. Walnut St.  

Bosselman - Grandma Max's, 3335 W. Wood River Road

Bubba Jer's Family Diner, 2028 E. Hwy. 30  

Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar, 809 Allen Drive  

Buffet House, 3537 W 13th St, Ste. 101  

Bunkhouse Sports Bar & Grill, 3568 Old W. Hwy. 30  

Burger King, 1320 W. 2nd St.  

Burger King, 2280 N. Webb Road  

Burger King, 1201 S. Locust St.  

Carlos O'Kellys, 1810 Diers Ave.  

Chicken Coop Sports Bar & Grill, 120 E. 3rd St.  

Coney Island, 104 E. 3rd St.  

Dairy Queen, 3660 W. Capital Ave.  

Doc & Fritz's Shady Bend, 3609 E. Hwy. 30  

Domino's Pizza, 624 N. Webb Road  

Dreisbach's Carry-Out, 3337 W. State St. Plaza Ste. D  

East African Restaurant, 613 E. 4th  

El Mariachi, 2418 N. Webb Road  

El Primo Mexican Restaurant, 102 W. 4th St.  

El Tapatio, 2610 S. Locust St.  

El Tazumal, 424 W. 4th St.

El Toro, 3425 W. State St.  

El Trancaso, 413 W. 4th St.  

El Tucanazo Restaurante, 410 E. 4th St.  

Farmer's Daughter Café, 105 N. Walnut St.  

Fazoli's, 2010 W. 2nd St.  

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, 1140 Allen Drive

Fuji Steak House, 1004 N. Diers Ave., Ste. 200  

Godfather's Pizza, 1916 S. Locust St.  

Golden Gate Express II, 2302 N. Webb Road  

Holiday Terrace Restaurant, 2503 S. Locust St.  

Hunan Restaurant, 2249 N. Webb Road  

Hy-Vee, 115 Wilmer  

Imperial Palace Express, 3404 W. 13th St. #163  

Jimmy John's, 206 Wilmar Ave. Ste. 9  

Jim's Gyros, 2261 N. Webb Road  

Kentucky Fried Chicken, 1804 N. Webb Road  

Kentucky Fried Chicken, 515 W. 2nd St.  

King Buffet, 1201 S. Locust St.  

La Cabana, 1201 S. Locust Ste. A  

La Mexicana, 111 E. 4th St.  

Lee's Family Restaurant, 2920 W. Old Fair Road  

Library Restaurant & Lounge, 2530 St. Patrick Ave.  

Little Caesars Pizza, 2128 Lawrence Lane  

Long John Silvers , 1150 S. Locust St.  

McDonald's Restaurant, 1317 W. 2nd St.  

McDonald's Restaurant, 3323 W. State St.  

Mongolian Vietnamese Restaurant, 1816 N. Webb Road

Napoli's Italian Restaurant, 3421 Conestoga Drive  

Nathan Detroit's, 316 N. Pine St.  

New Peking Palace, 3421 W. State St.  

Old Fashioned Garden Café, 3333 Ramada Road  

Ole Cow Palace, 3602 W. 2nd St.  

Pam's Pub & Grub, 2848 S. Locust St.  

Panaderia Y Abarrotes Sanchez, 218 S. Wheeler St.  

Papa Murphy's Take-N-Bake, 206 Wilmar Ave.  

Perkins Restaurant & Bakery, 106 Wilmar Ave.  

Pizza Hut, 1608 S. Locust St.  

Pizza Hut, 707 Diers Ave.  

Pizza Hut Delivery, 1023 W. 2nd St.  

Plum Thicket, 822 W. 1st St.  

QDOBA, 1010 N. Diers Ave. Suite 1  

Quizno's Subs, 1229 Allen Drive Ste. B  

Rafa's Tacos, 811 W. 2nd St.  

Red Lobster, 3430 W. 13th St.  

Riverside Golf Club, 2820 Riverside Dr.  

Ruby Tuesday, 3429 W. 13th St.  

Runza Drive Inn, 2004 S. Locust St.  

Runza Drive Inn, 1812 N. Webb Road  

Sin City, 410 W. 3rd St.  

Skagway, 620 W. State St.  

Skagway, 1607 S. Locust St.  

Sluggers Sports Bar, 707 W. Anna St.  

Sonic Drive-In, 805 N. Diers Ave.  

Sonic Drive-In, 2117 S. Locust St.  

Subway, 1723 W. 2nd St.  

Subway, 11775 S. Nebraska Hwy. 11  

Subway, 2136 N. Webb Road  

Subway, 2412 S. Locust St.  

Subway, 3404 W. 13th St., Ste 60  

Subway, 1723 W. 2nd St.  

Subway (Walmart S.), 3501 S. Locust St.  

Subway (Walmart N.), 2250 N. Diers Ave.  

Super Acapulco, 321 S. Locust St.  

Sutter Deli/The Cookie Company, 371 N. Broadwell Ave

Tabares Bar & Grill, 106 W. 4th St.  

Taco Bell, 1911 N. Diers Ave.  

Taco John's , 1007 W. 2nd St.  

Taco John's, 1408 S. Locust St.  

Taco John's, 2210 N. Webb Road  

Tacos Las Palmas, 1120 Jackson Dr.  

Tacos y Tortas Monarcas, 208 W. 4th St.  

Texas Roadhouse, 232 Wilmar Ave.  

Texas T-Bone, 1201 S. Locust St.  

The Chocolate Bar, 116 W. 3rd  

Tommy's Family Restaurant, 1325 S. Locust St.  

Tucan Express, 3404 W. 13th St., Ste. 169  

Uncle Ed's Steakhouse, 2624 S. Locust St.  

Upper Deck, 2110 W. 2nd St.  

USA Steak Buffet, 1828 N. Webb Road  

Valentino's , 2245 N. Webb Road  

Vientiane Restaurant, 523 W. 4th St.  

Wasabi Bistro, 2435 N. Diers  

Wendy's , 1806 S. Locust St.  

Wendy's , 3503 W. State St.  

Whiskey Creek Steak House, 1016 Diers Ave.  

White Horse Tavern, 1803 W. N. Front St.  

Whitey's Sports Bar & Grill, 2118 N. Webb Road
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:does anyone know what happened to the factory card outlet? drove by and it was empty inside..
Last I heard was that "Party City" acquired the Factory Card Outlet chain a year or two ago and was going to be re-branding the stores. I had heard they would gut the GI store and reopen later. I certainly hope that's the case... it was a pretty handy store sometimes.
indeed it was, but a party city would be nice. As for the restaurants list, i think it should be put into two catagory. A fast food take out and a sit down
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Heard from a friend with good connections that Texas Roadhouse is sticking to their planned April opening. The good weather helped get the building construction done ahead of schedule, but the kitchen equipment will be shipped and installed under the original timeline.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Sartor Hamann has been running a "lost our lease" sale for the last several weeks and I learned today that they apparently really did lose their lease after being in a choice corner of a court in the Conestoga Mall since forever. The story I heard is that Kay Jewelers has been wanting to come into the mall, but also wanted that space and tendered a "stupid money" offer for it when the lease came up for renewal

The rest is history.

I also heard that Sartor Hamann may relocate to the recently closed Diamonds First store in the strip center across from Big Apple Bagel between the malls.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I got word that Panera Bread will be opening very soon...as in the beginning of February. Sounds like they have a staff mostly hired already.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Looking good so far!

Image[/img]
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

If you haven't had it yet, the bread pot bowl of soup is killer.  I like the potato and the french onion.  Good stuff there.  The sweets are great too.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice... sort of akin to Omaha getting Cheesecake Factory. :)

The slightly healthier me always gets the salad/soup 'Pick 2'... some great salads.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We love Wave Pizza whenever we come to GI on business.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

UPDATE on Sam & Louie's:::

Just  drove by this morning and the sign in the window indicates they are under new management and will reopen mid-February. I am curious what happened. Glad to know they are coming back though!
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

Good to know on Sam and Louie's.  

The Chinese restaurant, former Pizza Hut West of Skagway on Broadwell must be closed because I see a sign on it now that says coming soon Los Dos Hermanos.  I am young but I faintly remember a former Dos Hermanos restaurant in GI.  For some reason I am picturing it in the Webb-Stolley Park Rd area west of the cemetary.  Have no idea if there is any connection, doubt it.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Sounds and looks like Panera is off to a good start! First couple of days seeing a typical opening in Grand Island. I am sure they are and will be working out the kinks for week or so. Glad GI has another wi-fi spot!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

A friend from Kearney wanted to meet up at Panera Bread today at lunch. The crowd made us reconsider and we picked a "what the heck" alternate in Big Apple Bagel. Holy Cow! I didn't know the lunches were that good! Need to go back and try one of those egg / bagel sandwiches sometime. And they have free wifi too, I discovered.

Never too old to learn...
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

I used to eat a BAB weekly as there was really no other "bakery" option, but a bagel sandwich at BAB costs roughly $6-7...which i dont mind if i get more than 2 slices of turkey. But that seems like the best case scenario at big apple bagel. Also the AM employees seem to be inconvenienced by your presence in the Drive thru.. Panera costs a little less with a bag of chips or baguette included...quality, quantity, and friendliness are far superior at panera.

Bottom line I wont be going back to BAB, it never seemed like customers were knocking down the doors to get in the place to start with. I never want to see GI loose a business, but I dont see BAB able to keep its doors open for more than a year or so if they dont change their ways