Columbus development

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jcitta
Home Owners Association

Columbus development

Post by jcitta »

http://www.columbustelegram.com/article ... 426799.txt

COLUMBUS -- Kirk Hanson Jr., representing DKC Development Ventures LLC, spoke in general terms to the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee about potential plans for development on the 12-acre Westgate Center site Tuesday morning.

Hanson said he was not at liberty to reveal specific names but said discussions were taking place with a couple of well-known restaurant chains and a nationally known big box store.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This would be a sweet development for Columbus..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Rocan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rocan »

I'm from Columbus originally and all of my family still lives there. There has been some great development going on there in the 5 or so years. This Westgate project is a big one because it is in the center of the main crossroads of the city (Hwy 30 and 81). When all of the new development sprouted out east (Wal-Mart, Menards, Buckle, Maurices, etc.), it all just went from the Westgate area east.

Now that this company is going to redevelop Westgate, I'm excited to see if Columbus can get some new, national retailers that have eluded them for years. Perhaps a Hobby Lobby, Hastings Bookstore (a town of 20k does not have a bookstore anymore) or Bed, Bath and Beyond could join the mix there.

Regardless, Columbus has always been known for being an industrial city (highest blue-collar city per capita in the state), but there's no reason why it can not have something more than a Wal-mart and Menards. That same industry means that there are jobs, and Columbus needs to start capitalizing off of them.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Good luck on the Bed, Bath and Beyond...the tri-cities areas can't even seem to score on of those and we're sitting at around 100k.
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

Yeah i dont know if a bed bath and beyond will make the cut.....but the others are definitely possibilities.
Rocan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rocan »

Perhaps they won't be able to get a Bed, Bath & Beyond, but they should try to be aggressive to lure some unique stores there. Columbus is dead center in the middle of Norfolk to the north, Omaha to the east, Lincoln to the south/SE and GI to the west/SW. It would be nice if they could carve their own niche somehow in that area.

Anyways, you never know. A city like Kearney pulled in Old Navy and GAP and I doubt many thought that was possible either. All I know is folks in Columbus are dying for some place new to go and spend their money at locally.
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

The rumors I heard for the stores that were in negotiations to go in there were shopko, hastings, and a hobby lobby.....the restaurant....havent heard.
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

http://www.columbustelegram.com/article ... 236501.txt
"COLUMBUS -- More choices of where to chow down are coming to Columbus.
Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches is shooting for a December opening in the second strip mall currently under construction at Clock Tower Mall, east of Columbus.  Two other eateries, Sam and Louie’s and Zesto Ice Cream, are looking for local franchise owners to open stores in Columbus."

Not bad for Columbus.