What do you think?: Partial state capitol move to kearney/GI

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Erik
Parks & Recreation

What do you think?: Partial state capitol move to kearney/GI

Post by Erik »

I think it would be a brilliant move.. You can have two official state capitols, the one already established in Lincoln for the purposes of the overall running of the state and the eastern-third details, while having a Kearney or GI based capitol that central and western Nebraskans can go to for ALL of their 'state of nebraska' needs as well as governing the whole area..  You would then have Lincoln as the main capitol, and as the policy overriding capitol of the state..

This would not only make it more convenient for the western 2/3rds of the state, but also bring more opportunities for the tri-cities to become the states 'second' urban destination center..

Or did you have another idea?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Just secede and call themselves West Nebraska.  It would be a million times more practical.
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Big E wrote:Just secede and call themselves West Nebraska.  It would be a million times more practical.

While I don't disagree Big E as it would better the lives of all of the citizens in Nebraska, this is an option to think about that would ease the pressure of having two completely different parts of the state with completely different needs.. It would actually be a start  :D
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Erik wrote:...this is an option to think about that would ease the pressure of having two completely different parts of the state with completely different needs.
That is what the state legislature is for and already does.

For the record, I'd be all for allowing Omaha and Lincoln to operate with relative autonomy from the rest of the state, but that's just not the way it is.  If you wanted to have every other leg session in Lincoln and the short session in Kearney, you might find some support.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Big E wrote:
Erik wrote:...this is an option to think about that would ease the pressure of having two completely different parts of the state with completely different needs.
That is what the state legislature is for and already does.

For the record, I'd be all for allowing Omaha and Lincoln to operate with relative autonomy from the rest of the state, but that's just not the way it is.  If you wanted to have every other leg session in Lincoln and the short session in Kearney, you might find some support.

-Big E
Yeah, I'm pretty well aware of that Big E, LOL..  I know your a wizard or sorcerer of logic and all of that, but I'm just throwing out (as the title thread reads) a hypothetical topic  :D
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Erik wrote:I know your a wizard or sorcerer of logic and all of that, but I'm just throwing out (as the title thread reads) a hypothetical topic  :D
WIZARD!!!

(That's all I could find.)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Big E wrote:
Erik wrote:I know your a wizard or sorcerer of logic and all of that, but I'm just throwing out (as the title thread reads) a hypothetical topic  :D
WIZARD!!!

(That's all I could find.)

-Big E

Awesome, now we need a mermaid warrior princess of logic for DTO  :D
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Being born and raised in Omaha, I am very pro-urban areas. However, since moving to Grand Island, I suppose I am for anything that brings GI from a blue collar town to a white collar urban center, although this idea is pretty wild.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

gisbuxfan wrote:Being born and raised in Omaha, I am very pro-urban areas. However, since moving to Grand Island, I suppose I am for anything that brings GI from a blue collar town to a white collar urban center, although this idea is pretty wild.

It's actually not as unusual as you'd think, I don't have any examples on me, but I read where there has been states who have done this..
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I'm all ears!Image[/img]
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I'm waiting for the one of him as Yoda.

There's already one of him as Luke Skywalker.

The Empire Strikes Barrack.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lvc-azCXY[/youtube]

How do I enable HTML?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Yeah, I'd like to see Barack as Yoda...I'm pretty sure most all politicians have been turned into some scifi character...ha ha
Image[/img]
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Big E wrote:For the record, I'd be all for allowing Omaha and Lincoln to operate with relative autonomy from the rest of the state
Chicago would like to operate separate from Illinois as well. Oh, wait, Mayor Daley already does.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

sorry guys, I cannot find anything to support what I said!  :D  

I know what I posted to be true, I've read it before HELP ME FIND IT!  LOL
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Erik wrote:
:lol:

I think there are some countries that operate with two capitals for logistical purposes but have the one, main capital still.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

DTO Luv wrote:
Erik wrote:
:lol:

I think there are some countries that operate with two capitals for logistical purposes but have the one, main capital still.

LOL, yeah I knew that as well, but I remember something to the effect that a few states have adopted a second central location to do state business as it is much closer than the official state capital and is much more convienient to reach by many citizens.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Erik wrote:...is much more convienient to reach by many citizens.
You first have to have "many citizens" in outlying areas of the state!  :lol:  :;):

Ok, yes, deliberately snarky. :P
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Couldn't you already say that the State of Nebraska has made state offices accessible to citizens outside of the Lincoln area?  Just looking in the Tri Cities phone book, GI and Kearney each have HHS satellite offices, GI has a DOR office, Dept of Economic Development office, Workforce Development, has always been the home base of the Nebraska Veterans Home, houses the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center (where even the Omaha and Lincoln cops have to come for anything outside of basic training), plus district offices for the Highway Dept, State Patrol, Game & Parks, not to mention the state government agencies that have recently moved to GI... the State Patrol Academy, the National Guard helicopter base and of course the State Fair.

I'd bet that Norfolk, North Platte and Scottsbluff have a collection of state offices as well. There's not a lot of reasons for a citizen of Chadron, Broken Bow or South Sioux to have to travel to Lincoln to take care of much state business.