Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Fremont's 275 plans

Post by Coyote »

For those that travel Hwy 275 North:
Plan offers vision for 275 corridor's future

Additional housing, green spaces and a mixed use, pedestrian-oriented town center are just a few of the highlights of a plan for development along the U.S. Highway 275 corridor.

Members of the Fremont Area Chamber of Commerce were given a preview of the master plan for the area from Morningside Road to U.S. Highway 30 during a luncheon Wednesday at Midland Lutheran College.

Bids for expanding Highway 275 to four lanes and adding three interchanges are expected to be let in January with construction to begin next year. The project could take about three years to complete, Chamber president Allan Hale said.

Hale said the plan developed by Marty Shukert of RDG Crose Gardner Shukert of Omaha still has to go to the planning commission and Fremont City Council. He hopes a final plan will be approved by the end of January.

The driving force behind the plan was to present a unified vision for growth along the corridor, taking advantage of its resources and location.

"We didn't want to have things popping up with any direction for the city, the chamber and the Greater Fremont Development Council," Hale said. "We think we need to be proactive in our thoughts and our development."

The plan envisions the continued expansion of housing between Military Avenue and 16th Street, the creation of business parks on the east side of the highway and commercial and office spaces along 23rd Street.

If everything is developed according to the plan, more than 2,200 housing units, 2.8 million square feet of commercial or office space and 1.5 million square feet of industrial or business space would be created.

"Any plan is really for the use of those who are going to be doing development here," Hale said. "It's kind of a guideline — a guide book, if you will. Any plan is going to have some adjustments."

One part of the plan would create what is called a mixed use town center — something like a mini downtown district — near the Military Avenue interchange.

"We at the chamber believe that Military Avenue should be our front door and we're looking at that to see how we can develop the front door to make it more attractive, to get people to turn in on Military. We think if they make that turn, we have a real opportunity," Hale said.

The mixed use area would be unique to the area.

"(Shukert) said there is nothing like this in Omaha; nothing like this in Lincoln," Hale said. "It has the kind of things that are important to our community as far as our quality of life. It almost gives us a downtown feel."

The plan includes a greenway along Rawhide Creek and the highway and a series of recreation trails.

"Marty does a really good job of putting green space and trail systems and trees — something that gives you a nice, warm feeling about our community," Hale said. "We feel really good about that."

Another feature would be the creation of a railroad overpass on the south end of Johnson Road and the realigning of First Street. The overpass would consolidate three at-grade crossings, most likely ones at Johnson Road, First Street and Union Street, said Kevin Wilkins of the Greater Fremont Development Council.

It would be at least eight years before could be developed, Wilkins added.

Growth plan

A master plan for the U.S. Highway 275 area from Morningside Road to U.S. Highway 30 presents a vision for growth along the corridor.

The plan developed by an Omaha firm envisions continued expansion of housing between Military Avenue and 16th Street, the creation of business parks on the east side of the highway and commercial and office spaces along 23rd Street.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Hey Coyote... be sure you include the media source for these articles (add it following the quote= tag) so we know where these stories came from!

EDIT: DOH... from the Fremont Tribune of course. :)

Location we're talking about here for those not familiar with the Fremont area.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

"It almost gives us a downtown feel"

A downtown feel? What, with a widened freeway, greenery, and trails?

This is a great thing, but it won't give Fremont a "downtown" feel. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I think it's all relative. For Fremonters it's probably a DT feel. :D
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The downtown feel is referring to the mixed-use town center. Such centers are being developed all over the country and the integrated uses and higher densities create a well-planned district. It makes sense to locate near good access and the green space and trails are good design implementation.

I'm sure Streets was disappointed there was no mention of high-rises. :lol:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think Streets has been going through some rough times or something ... he seems to be down on just about everything lately.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Speaking of Fremont, on the E edge of town along HW 30 by Applebee's sort of across from Walmart there is an area that has been marked SOLD along the hyway. IT has been that way for a while. Does anyone know what is going to go in there?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Does Fremont have any big home improvement stores?
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Menard's is the only one I am aware of.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They do not have a Menards that is a FULL store. Theyonly have a limited selection ( very limited) of Lumber. The story that I have heard is that the only way they could get zoned is to not put in the lumber yard. They went into the Wallmart store that was there before the new SuperWalmart was built. I understand there may have been some pressure from a long standing Fremont Lumber yard to keep them out and this is what was worked out. There seems to be plenty ofroom to me for a lumber yard where they are if they could do it.

By the Way, HyVee just opened a new store in Fremont. Over by the mall. Nice size and addition. They had been in Fremont. over by the Menards and Wallmart. Anyone have any idea if anthing os going to happen with the old Hyvee store that is now empty.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

jhuston wrote:I think Streets has been going through some rough times or something ... he seems to be down on just about everything lately.
That's actually quite observant of you. Even I've been noticing how skeptical I've become on the forum. And it's true, I have been going through some rough times.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
OmahaHome
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaHome »

cheer up mate! There are more important things to life than whether or not Freemont is justified in saying it has a downtown feel. However I agree with your first post b/c i was thinking the same thing.
I hate the new plate... I designed one way better but the stupid governer didn´t pick it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh, it has nothing to do with this forum, but thanks for your kind words :) .