Allegiant Air drops Lincoln for new GI route

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Allegiant Air drops Lincoln for new GI route

Post by Candleshoe »

this could go in any of three forum sections...

http://www.theindependent.com/news/x223 ... s-to-Vegas

Allegiant, which focuses on routes to popular travel destinations from small markets, is adding service to Grand Island as it drops service in Lincoln.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Noticed that the newspaper story had an error in the frequency of flights. According to Allegiants website, flights will be inbound AND outbound on both Thursdays and Sundays, same as Lincolns current schedule.

Ben, right now, if somebody from, oh, say, York, wanted a flight to Vegas, I suspect the bulk of Yorkites would travel to Omaha for the better fare as opposed to Lincoln. Lincoln's flights were probably predominantly Lincolnites. Out in GI, I suspect the York traveler would choose GI. So would the traveler from Kearney, Hastings, Columbus, Broken bow, North Platte, Lexington, McCook and probably north central Kansas as well. Currently, GI fills larger planes on a once monthly charter flight that costs considerably more than $79 each way.

Throw in a few business travelers going to conventions in Vegas.

I would imagine Allegiant did some homework... They're big boys.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

If they can't make a practical route like GI-Denver work, which would be supported by business travelers (on a 40-76 person plane)
Well, if we had an opportunity to have such a connection, I'd bet you a box of Eileens Colossal Cookies (made fresh daily in the Tri Cities!) that it'd work. I seem to remember in the 80's, before deregulation, that GI hosted Frontier flights to both Omaha and Denver on 737's that put plenty of butts in seats, combined with Air Wisconsin full sized jet flights to Chicago.
Last edited by Candleshoe on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

The speculation I hear on this is that they want to get away from the Omaha airport and Southwest, as in less competition.

I've flown on Allegiant a couple times now. It gets you there but the schedules stink and everything is extra. Allegiant has been charging for the first checked bag since I can remember.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

The speculation I hear on this is that they want to get away from the Omaha airport and Southwest, as in less competition.
It's not even speculation. Allegiants Director of Sales said it directly to the TV cameras at their GI press conference yesterday. Part of the problem was that Southwest prevents Allegiant from raising their fares to cover the rising cost of fuel. It should be noted that as of yesterday, the cost of Jet A fuel at GI's airport was $5.76 a gallon and in Lincoln it was $6.60
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It's about 20miles further to drive to Eppley from downtown Lincoln than it is from Olathe/south KC to Kansas City International.  Not an earth shattering difference...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lincoln loses one of its three air carriers
TOM SHAW WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:After years of declines in passenger travel, the Lincoln Airport had one bright spot left this summer: an upswing in the number of people taking nonstop flights on Allegiant Air between Lincoln and Las Vegas. But the lights went out on that bright spot this week when the airline ended the service. If the downward trend continues, Bowen said, Lincoln could become like Sioux City, Iowa, whose airport offers only a handful of daily flights.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So I guess we'll probably see a little bump at Eppley then... I assume we're still on track to top the 4.5 million mark.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I wonder how viable Lincoln's airport will be with Omaha next door.
DTO
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I don't know Sundays numbers, but Thursdays flight from GI had three empty seats and 147 seats with butts in them.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.theindependent.com/business_ ... s-to-Vegas
GRAND ISLAND —

"Our surveys show most people are coming from Douglas (County), then Lancaster, then Hall for the Vegas flights," said Mike Olson, executive director of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport. The information is derived from regular parking lot surveys, using license plates, taken by airport staff.
"People in Omaha are buying tickets to use Grand Island," he said. "With gas prices going down, people are not as hesitant to travel (to Grand Island)."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Let me get this straight... people from Omaha are driving to Grand Island... to fly to Vegas??

Now I know how those Des Moines people feel. :shock:
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Just for giggles, I checked prices on allegiantair.com.

Leaving for vegas on Sun, Dec 14th and returning on Thursday, Dec 18th for two people.

$30 each way plus $30 in fees total: $180 round trip for two.

Lowest price on Southwest from OMA during comparable dates is $450 round trip for two.

It would cost me $155 in gas if I were to drive to Vegas in my 30mpg Saturn avg $1.80/gal gas.

as an aside, round trip for two on southwest to the mile high city is $250.  united is going for $235.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I've been able to speak to a number of people now who have taken advantage of the GI to LV trip. All of them have said, the flights are full and they are good! That's great news! The news today is that daily flights will be resuming as of Feb. 1st. They have had success bringing in the leisure passengers, now they are aiming for the business passengers with flights to Kansas City.
With Wednesday’s announcement by Great Lakes Aviation and the continued operation of Allegiant Air, Olson said, he anticipates the airport will have 10,000 boardings by August.

Olson said he even hopes that the airport might achieve 15,000 boardings by the end of the year.
With the number of passengers they are expecting great things may be on the horizon for the Grand Island airport!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Two weeks ago the GI airport is in negotiations with Allegient Air about providing flights to the Phoenix area and possibly to Florida. According to their last board meeting, Allegient is averaging 88% full flights and are ready to expand. Overall passenger numbers are up over 150% for the year. This is good news!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Two weeks ago the GI airport is in negotiations with Allegient Air about providing flights to the Phoenix area and possibly to Florida. According to their last board meeting, Allegient is averaging 88% full flights and are ready to expand. Overall passenger numbers are up over 150% for the year. This is good news!
It's a done deal! A two year agreement for twice weekly service, Wednesday and Saturday mornings, begins in mid October using 150 seat MD-80 jets..

http://www.theindependent.com/articles/ ... 312898.txt
Olson said Allegiant Air has helped the airport determine its market for Allegiant flights out of Grand Island. Twenty percent of business is coming from Douglas and Lancaster counties. People are driving to Grand Island from as far east as Omaha, as far west as Ogallala, as far south as 50 miles into Kansas and as far north as almost the South Dakota border.
Now that Allegiant has Las Vegas and Phoenix-Mesa contracts, Fenyes said, it can look at additional destination flights from Grand Island.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Candleshoe wrote:
It's a done deal! A two year agreement for twice weekly service, Wednesday and Saturday mornings, begins in mid October using 150 seat MD-80 jets..

http://www.theindependent.com/articles/ ... 312898.txt
Olson said Allegiant Air has helped the airport determine its market for Allegiant flights out of Grand Island. Twenty percent of business is coming from Douglas and Lancaster counties. People are driving to Grand Island from as far east as Omaha, as far west as Ogallala, as far south as 50 miles into Kansas and as far north as almost the South Dakota border.
Now that Allegiant has Las Vegas and Phoenix-Mesa contracts, Fenyes said, it can look at additional destination flights from Grand Island.
I've got to believe that Orlando is a definite possibility.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

How about Hawaii??
Today, Allegiant CEO Maurice Gallagher confirmed  those intentions.  The carrier has acquired the six Boeing 757’s of which we spoke, and plans to begin Hawaii service later this year.  Delivery of the first two planes will occur within 60 days, with those remaining scheduled from November 2010 to December 2011.
http://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-welcomes-allegiant-air/