Valentino's Pizza

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Valentino's Pizza

Post by nebugeater »

Searched for a thread to fit this in and didn't really find one so here is a Val's Pizza thread.

When did the  Valentino's buffet on 13nd and Center close?  I drove down 132 last night and noticed that the signs where off the building.  I knew they had opened a takeout across the street int he new strip mall where AAA also relocated.  I knew that they were opening a take out place but had also heard that they were remaining open across the street as a buffet but obviously this was not the case.

There is a buffet around 180 & L. that I think is still open.  Where else are they still open in Omaha as a sit down place?  I know the CB location across from the Mall on the other side of the interstate closed some time ago.

When they went from a menu drive place with a buffet as an option I have not gone there as often.  I think there Pizza is good, it got me through college many years ago, but I do think there quality and consistency has slipped.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It closed a few months back.  Sad.  It was the first Val's in Omaha.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

I think the Val's buffet at 102nd and Maple is still open.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They recently remodeled the maple location.

With that said, I usually only eat vals at husker games.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

vals isn't bad, but we always ask for it "well done".  otherwise, the pizza comes out *barely* cooked and pretty doughy in the middle.  meh
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I grew up about a block from that Valentinos buffet, we used to go there all the time and it was busy a lot.  Maybe its because I havent been there a while, but I believe more and more people stopped going there and their takeout was more profitable than the buffet.  Thats pure speculation though.  The buffet closed down around the same time as the takeout location opened across the street.
barattataxicab
New to the Neighborhood

Post by barattataxicab »

Valentino's has the best pizza, but all the food is great. It's a integral part of my weight maintenance program.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Valentino's Pizza

Post by Coyote »

The original Valentino's restaurant will close Sunday
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The restaurant, at 3457 Holdrege St. since 1957, will close Sunday. Twelve days later, on May 23, the restaurant will reopen at 3535 Holdrege in a new location.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Some of my very first memories of the area include doing a concert at the Pershing Auditorium and (the original) Valentinos for din-din. Too bad to see it close, but I'm glad that they are opening just down the street from the original.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

There is a newspaper review of the brand new -- and retro, it seems -- Valentino's on Holdredge Street.
http://journalstar.com/entertainment/di ... f5209.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

So, is it confirmed that Valentino's Buffet on 108th (between L and Q) is closing?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:51 am So, is it confirmed that Valentino's Buffet on 108th (between L and Q) is closing?
yes it is
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I don’t think buffet restaurants will be able to reopen as buffets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did the location on Maple close? Just drove by and it looked like all the signs had been taken down.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
Just another example of changing public tastes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Oh yeah, In the mid 80’s, when we were kids we went to that 102 and Maple location all the time. I bet I haven’t been back in there for 25-30 years.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:58 am Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
I remember (from my youth) how when Valentino’s first opened in Omaha (late 1970s?) they were extremely popular.
It was the goto pizza in Lincoln. It was up against Godfathers and a cluster of crappy chain joints. It had the marketing advantage of all the UNL grads and was lighter.

Like Big Fred's. Super popular in the 70's and 80's due to a gross lack of edible pizza in west Omaha and Millard. That was the key to their start.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:05 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:58 am Yes I believe sometime in the second half of 2021 that location closed.
It was the goto pizza in Lincoln. It was up against Godfathers and a cluster of crappy chain joints. It had the marketing advantage of all the UNL grads and was lighter.

Like Big Fred's. Super popular in the 70's and 80's due to a gross lack of edible pizza in west Omaha and Millard. That was the key to their start.
Well like the saying goes, mediocre pizza is like mediocre sex. It’s still pizza and people will eat it…if nothing better can be obtained. It’s been 10 years or so since I last had Valentino’s. I used to crave it, but now it never even crosses my mind to order it. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just that I like a lot of other pizza places more.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

It’s often a bit of a daunting task to remember the “good old days” accurately. But my memory is that the original Valentino’s prior to the franchising and maybe for first year or two of the first few locations had a much better pie. But then it all went rapidly downhill. This, or good old days memory bias at work.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

guy4omaha wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:40 pm It’s often a bit of a daunting task to remember the “good old days” accurately. But my memory is that the original Valentino’s prior to the franchising and maybe for first year or two of the first few locations had a much better pie. But then it all went rapidly downhill. This, or good old days memory bias at work.
It was never in Omaha before franchising. It was said in Lincoln that it was best when it was just in the East Campus location.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I remember Val's original Lincoln location. I'd been going there since the early 70s. In high school we'd drive down almost every weekend to eat there. When did they open their first Omaha location? Of course it was after I started at UNL.
The food at the original when there was only one location (& even when they opened in East Lincoln at 70th south of O) was good, the garlic rolls were amazing. There wasn't really anything like their pizza in Omaha. In Omaha we had Big Fred's, Sortino's, Caniglia's, & a few others. Godfathers was just starting at their original location around 99th & Q and it wasn't as good as Val's, though it was better than after they started franchising.

Bottom line to me is the same for both Godfathers & Valentino's: Neither are remotely as good as when they had one location. Quality practically vanished. Quantity over quality. No consistency. The buffets were a hog trough. (Seriously? Tacos???) Stuff yourself & pay in a few hours. I seriously doubt that at 63 years old I could handle eating at Valentino's.

It's sad. The fact is that I can count the number of restaurants that have grown a large number of locations and have the same quality on one hand and have plenty of fingers left over.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The Vals on 132 and Center is ok. Not like the original.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:19 pm
guy4omaha wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:40 pm It’s often a bit of a daunting task to remember the “good old days” accurately. But my memory is that the original Valentino’s prior to the franchising and maybe for first year or two of the first few locations had a much better pie. But then it all went rapidly downhill. This, or good old days memory bias at work.
It was never in Omaha before franchising. It was said in Lincoln that it was best when it was just in the East Campus location.
Yes, my sentence wasn’t clear. I wasn’t trying to say Vals was in Omaha prior to franchising. Novak’s post above this one said more clearly what I meant to say. And I agree that the East campus location was the best. But it went downhill to once they lost focus it seems with franchising.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Oh the memories!

Back when I was a half silly high schooler (as opposed to now being a half senile retiree) my buddies and I would regularly drive one of our gas guzzlers down I-80 on a Friday evening to dine at Val’s on South 70th. We ate there enough to be regulars, often enduring 45 minute waits just to secure a table in their large dining room. We craved the soft doughy slices of scrumptious pizza! To this day I still recall a sign hanging over the prep area in the Val’s Take Out area at 132 and Arbor. It read “Every Valentino’s pizza must be absolutely perfect!” When they honored that rule their pizzas were superb.
I think what led to their downfall was over expansion and franchising, which led to the start of their buffets. No buffet pizza will ever attain the goal of being “absolutely perfect”.
Does anyone remember their Grinder sandwiches? OMG were they ever good. But when they switched to being mostly a buffet those sandwiches disappeared from the menu, never to return.
Until Valentino’s returns to their roots they will remain in the “also ran” category of pizzerias.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Their website shows that they are still open at this location.

102nd and Maple – To-Go
(402) 571-1400 — Contact Location
10190 Maple Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68134
Get Directions ❯
Menus:
Carry-Out Menu
Express Lunch Menu
Broasted Chicken Menu
Catering Menu
Hours:
Carryout & Delivery
Sun – Thur: 11am to 9pm
Fri – Sat: 11am to 10pm
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yes. But they closed the restaurant. It is a carry out kitchen only. No longer a restaurant.