Nebraska State Fair

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Do you plan on Attending the 2010 Nebraska State Fair?

Yes, I will Attend - I Attend on a regular basis.
No votes
Yes, I will Attend - I don't usually Attend.
9%
No, I will not Attend - I never go anyways.
55%
No, I will not attend - I don't like the new location (Its too far away).
27%
May be.
9%

Total votes: 22

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I didn't have the time to go would of liked to, but it wasn't in the cards this year, but I was just wondering was it pretty similar to the fair in Lincoln with just updated facilities or were there new attractions the Nebraska State Fair hasn't seen before?

I dunno... I don't know what "attractions" were there before. I never really noticed anything outside of the open air concerts in Lincoln.
Here's what the current website says went on in GI

http://www.statefair.org/fair/entertaiment/index.asp
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Candleshoe wrote:
I didn't have the time to go would of liked to, but it wasn't in the cards this year, but I was just wondering was it pretty similar to the fair in Lincoln with just updated facilities or were there new attractions the Nebraska State Fair hasn't seen before?

I dunno... I don't know what "attractions" were there before. I never really noticed anything outside of the open air concerts in Lincoln.
Here's what the current website says went on in GI

http://www.statefair.org/fair/entertaiment/index.asp
I guess that pretty much answered it.  I was just curious if anything new stood out from the old.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.theindependent.com/articles/ ... 497940.txt
Financially, the 2010 Nebraska State Fair went much better than budgeted.

According to the September financial report approved by the State Fair Board on Friday, admissions to the fair brought in about $1.13 million. The fair board had only budgeted to receive $758,646 from admissions.

Also, entertainment revenue brought in 173 percent of the amount budgeted, $216,708 versus $125,180.

State Fair Executive Director Joseph McDermott said the food and beverage receipts were about $68,000 less than anticipated because the fair board did not have a food stand as originally anticipated. However, total revenue from the fair was about 128 percent of what was budgeted.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Finally had some free time to check out the 2011 State Fair for a few hours, Tuesday after work. We specifically went to see certain events, so we only made a cursory trip around the grounds to see what there was to see. We'll ride our bikes back over this weekend and spend a full day. (They have a staffed bike barn on-site).

Here are a few pics, just to get the 2011 discussion started.

Here's that same State Trooper from last year, this time in the act of refueling:

Had a blast watching the "Dock Dogs" compete in distance diving

The stock dog championship rounds were an absolute great time! The dogs are just amazing to watch and they know no fear...

The menu...

Obligatory petting zoo...

The cliche midway shot...

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Nice pics!  I heard attendance is up this year at the fair, GI is doing great.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

it will be interesting to see if the early uptick in attendance holds up for the last few days. With extreme heat and humidity Wednesday and
Thursday, followed by rain and wind on Friday and Saturday, it couldn't have been fun to be ride operator on the midway.

So, that being said, we DID go on Saturday, even rode our bikes. The weather had broken by noon, so we felt it was a good idea. Then, by 1, the rain returned and the wind came up. By 3 though, it was pleasant again. Since I didn't trust the weather situation, I only took the point and shoot. Here are more shots from the State Fair 2011.

Hey!!! It's Trigger and Bullet!!!

The birthing center, watching piglets being born...

Cute couple...

Taking an ill advised shortcut...

Just say no...

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice stuff Candleshoe.  I was there Saturday too.  Too bad I didn't see you or I would have said hi.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here are a few shots I took on Saturday.  Looks like we may have been at the Dock jump at the same time!

2011 State Fair 188 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 179 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 152 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 200 by nebugeater, on Flickr

How a COW makes Milk!!!!
2011 State Fair 138 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 192 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 127 by nebugeater, on Flickr
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

2011 State Fair 114 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 115 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 103 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 107 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 123 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Public Power District demo..  Letting a Hot Dog stand in for your finger or arm.  
2011 State Fair 233 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 255 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 240 by nebugeater, on Flickr

2011 State Fair 217 by nebugeater, on Flickr
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

it DOES look like we were there at the same time. I saw that black lab change course in mid air when it's owner didn't throw the toy far enough.

Some nice shots you took there!

Darn! Perhaps on another occasion, we'll run into each other. I'm think of heading back there this afternoon on the bike again. We drove past there around 11 this morning and the parking lots were nearly full with a ton of out of town traffic backed up on south Locust. They were diverting people to the east parking lots on Stuhr Road, which still had spaces.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Candleshoe wrote:it DOES look like we were there at the same time. I saw that black lab change course in mid air when it's owner didn't throw the toy far enough.

Some nice shots you took there!

Darn! Perhaps on another occasion, we'll run into each other. I'm think of heading back there this afternoon on the bike again. We drove past there around 11 this morning and the parking lots were nearly full with a ton of out of town traffic backed up on south Locust. They were diverting people to the east parking lots on Stuhr Road, which still had spaces.
They have posted on their facebook page that they have 11 buses running and traffic is backed up at the grounds.  That is a good sign.  Last year people came because they were curious.  THis year was the tell tail year in my book.  WOuld they come back.  So far it is looking good and GI is doing a great job with it.

Last year and this year we parked at Walmart and took the bus in and out.  Worked great.  Will make that my plan for future years too.

Yep, saw the lab jump short too.  From the looks of it we were standing close for a few shots.  I was sitting on the front row of the bleachers right by the tent.  Walked to the end to take a few photos about 1/2 way through the competition.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

It might be safe to say that Sunday, the State Fair was the third largest city in Nebraska. By early afternoon they were diverting traffic using the 2,500 stall paved parking lots at JBS Swift about a mile from the fairgrounds and running shuttle service from there as well.

I had to be there in the morning to play guitar at the Catholic mass. Nice turnout for church with Bishop Dendinger of the GI diocese.

Couldn't resist the gorgeous weather and rode the bike back over in the afternoon.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice stuff as usual

That last shot sure looks like it could be a HEAD MEET LOG opertunity!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From the State Fair Facebook page for 2011 attendance

The 2011 Nebraska State Fair total attendance was 333,043, compared to 309,400 last year! That's a 23,643 or 7.64% increase
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nic photos guy!

I am glead to see attendance up again this year!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome attendance jump!