Official: North Platte Golden Spike tower

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Official: North Platte Golden Spike tower

Post by Coyote »

North Platte Telegraph wrote:If we build Spike, will they come?

The people behind the Golden Spike project say that they have learned from our neighbors to the east.

Conceived by former Nebraska Governor Frank Morrison, the Arch spans Interstate 80 three miles east of Kearney. Morrison had been governor of the state during the time the interstate system was put in. He told an interviewer that Fort Kearny was the point at which the Oregon, California, and Mormon trails converged, allowing for a move westward during the 1840s and '50s.

After the Omaha World-Herald published a story about Morrison's dream, he was contacted by an economic development official for Buffalo County, who said the city of Kearney was interested in implementing the idea.

Today, the $60 million project sits in lonesome majesty spanning Interstate 80, a solitary and surprising sight, rising above the prairie.
There is no direct access to the site. Westbound travelers pass under the arch and must exit at Kearney and backtrack along a winding access road. An eight-story "log bridge" stands sentinel over traffic zipping along at 75 miles an hour. Inside the arch is a salute to historical western migration, from the Oregon Trail to fiber optics. Visitors enter up the longest escalator in Nebraska, and don headsets for a personal tour through time.

In 1996, the Kearney City Council approved a 2 percent hotel tax to provide $650,000 in seed money for the archway. One year later, the Kearney City Council announced that it would issue bonds to pay for the construction. By May of 1998, investors have purchased $59.7 million worth of bonds to finance the project.

After four years of planning and construction, the Arch lost almost $19 million during its first 19 months of operation, and a reserve fund had to be tapped to make the payment on the bonds.

The first seven months of operation showed $2.37 million gross revenue from ticket sales and gift shop sales. The Arch used its debt reserve fund to make $1.7 million bond interest payments twice, until the debt was restructured and an agreement was reached with bondholders in 2003.
The arch opened for business in June 2000. An estimated 300,000 tourists visited that year. Attendance dropped to 250,000 in 2001, and 175,000 in 2002.

It was originally projected to bring in 1.5 million visitors annually, according to G. Greg Smith of Omaha, who marketed the Arch. Prospective bond buyers were told to expect more than 890,000 visitors in 2001, and the arch would bring in $4 million in its first full year.
It didn't happen.

The Arch received good news this month when it was announced that Congress has approved a $1.6 million boost in funding, for a new interchange that would funnel traffic off Interstate 80 to Kearney's industrial park, and make the Arch more accessible for impulse stops. The city of Kearney has been lobbying for the interchange since 1997. Congress passed a $388 billion omnibus-spending bill, which included $30 million for transportation projects in Nebraska. Of that, $1.6 million was set aside for a second exit at Kearney.

After six years of planning, the Golden Spike has yet to turn over a blade of dirt. That will happen soon, Spike board members say, if bids for the observation tower and visitor center at Bailey Yards are not too high.
Unlike the project at Kearney, the Golden Spike project will not be dependent on visitors for debt repayment.

A 2-percent city occupation tax, imposed on motel and hotel rooms, has been in place since 1998 with all revenues collected going to the Spike project. Those revenues, which currently run around $300,000 per year, will make the payments on a loan from the United States Department of Agriculture, which are estimated at $235,000 per year.

The Arch cost more than $55 million to build, whereas the Spike project is around $6 million. Spike board members say they have attempted to set realistic projections for attendance, starting out at 40,000 per year, and they point out that the loan payments will be made by the occupation tax revenues, regardless of attendance.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Another desperate attempt to lure tourists. I think Ogallala should build a "Sugar Beet Palace".
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

I have driven past the arch many times, but have never stoped. Why? because it is a pain in the rear to back track 3 mi to the arch then drive 3mi back to the interstate that you were standing over just before you left. This interchange will help greatly.
Go west young man.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Save money and build a life-size bronze statue of a Nebraskan w/his hands out asking for money...near an exit, which is by a Wal-Mart, and a McDonald's.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

projectman wrote:Another desperate attempt to lure tourists. I think Ogallala should build a "Sugar Beet Palace".
No. This one is a good idea.

1. It's only a $6 million investment.
2. Bailey Yard is truly something to behold.
3. Rail fans are fanatical and will drive for miles to see it. (Just ask Zephyr :wink: ) Case in point, my wife and I rode AmTrack from L.A. to Orlando. While we were waiting for our bags, I struck up a conversation with one of the conductors. He said he once worked for Union Pacific and he loved freight trains. So naturally I mentioned the Golden Spike project, to which he smiled and said he's been waiting for it ever since they announced the project. He knew a lot more about it than I did, really.

This project is more than realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat their 40,000 anual visitor estimate. Thats only 120 visitors per day. They've set very doable goals for themselves.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Now all Nebraska needs is a Star Trek or Dungeons and Dragons Museum. The "enthusiasts" will spend millions of dollars visiting Zorkav, the galactican keeper of the thespian Klingon Society, and milliscopic Romulus 4 outer fallopian heritage sites. Nanoo Nanoo.

^
Ok, don't take that seriously.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Reminds me... last time I was at the Qwest Center... there was a teenager 'challenging' another teenager to run up the escalator... the wrong way (it's not THAT long is it?) :)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DMRyan wrote:Now all Nebraska needs is a Star Trek or Dungeons and Dragons Museum. The "enthusiasts" will spend millions of dollars visiting Zorkav, the galactican keeper of the thespian Klingon Society, and milliscopic Romulus 4 outer fallopian heritage sites. Nanoo Nanoo.
HAHAHAHA!! :lol:
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Do you guys really think the Golden Spike is ludicrous? I mean afterall, it's merely a dressed up (and relatively inexpensive) observation tower overlooking the largest rail yard in the world! Why does this project seem outrageous to you guys?

The Kearney Arch is a terrible comparison to this project.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

It's certainly not as silly as that vortex tower idea. For only $6 million, I suppose there's nothing wrong with throwing a little money their way. North Platte could use a good kick in the pills too and if this is what it takes to give it an image or create an icon for the community then let's get it done.

Now about that Dungeons and Dragons themed museum...
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I agree, Ryan. But this would not be North Platte's lone attraction. Buffalo Bill's ranch is already a popular stop for people. The city also hosts Nebraskaland Days in the summer which draws a good number of folks to town.

As for the Dungeons and Dragons museum, I think Ames is a better spot for that. :P
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Well I just can't imagine that people will want to climb this thing to look at hundreds of miles of desolate plains. If there were oceans or mountains or canyons, but farm fields and hog lots and cow pastures. Not exactly a hallmark memory. I can see people being interested in the trains and railyards I guess.

I still think the Sugar Beet Palace will fly in Scottsbluff or Ogallala. :wink:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Golden Spike project is not just a platform but a visitors center.
From a previous post: http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504
Located at Union Pacific's Bailey Yards - Projected to open 2005. Surround yourself with the sights and sounds of America's modern railroad at the world's largest rail classification yard where 3,000 rail cars get sorted everyday. On arrival you'll experience the ""On Track For America"" spectacular 3-screen movie that will take you on a train ride you won't forget. Then it's ""All Aboard!"" as you take the elevators up to the Top of the Tower for a stunning bird's-eye view of all the rail action below.
The tower is designed to commemorate the golden spike used to complete the first U.S. transcontinental railroad at Promontory Point, Utah, in 1869. The eastern portion of that railroad, built by Union Pacific, goes through Grand Island and Central Nebraska as well as North Platte.

The North Platte chamber hopes construction will begin next fall on a visitors center as well as the 150-foot spike-shaped tower.

Plans call for the tower to have three observation levels inside, allowing visitors to observe operations in the world's largest and busiest railroad yard.

On each of the three levels, visitors "will hear an audio and view locator maps" of the freight yard, according to a publicity brochure. The "hump" operation that sorts thousands of freight cars daily and makes up hundreds of trains will be featured.

In a freight classification facility such as Bailey Yard, cars on incoming trains are sorted onto tracks for different outbound trains by pushing them up a raised track -- the "hump" -- and then allowing each car in turn to roll down the other side of the hump onto the appropriate outbound track.

The monument site will be adjacent to the south side of the yard, Barnard-Stevens said. Bailey Yard is directly west of North Platte, and the location is about two miles north of Interstate 80, from which the tower should be clearly visible.

Trains tourists will see from the new attraction will include those that travel east from North Platte through Grand Island to Omaha and beyond or through Hastings to Kansas City and beyond. West of Bailey Yard, three lines converge -- the main line from the West Coast, another from Wyoming and a third from Denver.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

edsas wrote:As for the Dungeons and Dragons museum, I think Ames is a better spot for that. :P
Hahaha, very true... :lol:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

150 feet tall? 90 feet taller than Council Bluffs' Golden Spike, built near mile marker zero on the transcontinental railroad. Will the North Platte tower resemble this?
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

looks kind of like the washington monument, without the pyramid looking top though
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The Bailey Yard spike will have it's 'head' to the sky.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote: Golden Spike project scaled back in North Platte

NORTH PLATTE, Neb.(AP) - Higher-than-expected bids for the construction of an observation tower overlooking Bailey Yard has left the Golden Spike Committee making cost-cutting modifications to the design.

Chairman DiAnn Kolkman said the committee wanted to build the Golden Spike for about $2.9 million, but the lowest bid came in at $3.24 million.

It's the second time the Golden Spike has been scaled back.

Originally it was envisioned as a $6 million, 15-story tower. The idea behind the tower was to provide some place for the multitude of railroad buffs who pass through North Platte each year to get a glimpse of the massive Bailey Yard.

Kolkman said her committee has received a 60-day extension on the land purchase. The original deadline was Dec. 20.

The North Platte occupancy tax dollars and a USDA loan are the sources of funding for the proposed project.
Image Image Image
North Platte Bulletin wrote: WNTA criticizes Spike, football field turf

Two of North Platte’s most ambitious projects were heavily criticized Jan. 3 at a meeting of the Western Nebraska Taxpayers Association.
“If there is one project I wish we would have gotten more involved in last year, it was field turf,” WNTA president Mike Groene said. “Math scores are dropping, but we had to be rushed to get field turf funded before the first football game.”

Groene called it an example of why America’s education is in trouble.

The cost of the project has reached nearly $900,000, he said.

About $500,000 of that is from donation and grants.

Taxpayers once expected to pay $178,000, but now will pay nearly twice that much, or $354,000, Groene said.

School superintendent Paul Brochtrup said the numbers are accurate, and noted that the district could sue to recapture some cost.

Nobody was enthused about the proposed Spike observation tower and visitor’s center overlooking the world’s largest train yard.

“If an election were held here, the Spike would be voted down,” Groene said.

The attendance projections for the Spike seem to be inflated, several WNTA members said.

About 40,000 visitors a year (each paying $5 admission) are needed to pay the operating costs of the Spike visitor’s center. That equates to 109 people a day, 365 days a year.

Also, there is not enough accountability to taxpayers, WNTA members said.

A board appointed by the chamber of commerce directs the Spike. None of those directors are elected or governed by an elected body.

“There is no accountability right now,” a WNTA member said. “It’s like they’ve been handed a free check book to do as they please.”

Motel tax receipts will pay the real estate costs of the Spike. Taking a worst-case scenario, the WNTA estimates the city will spend nearly $225,000 a year for the next 24 years.

Worse, the numbers of overnight lodgers in North Platte has trended lower during the past couple of years, WNTA stalwart Gary Heinzle said.

Motel customers pay the tax in a 2-percent “occupation” surcharge.

Groene said occupation taxes should instead pay other city expenses, such as the Iron Eagle golf course. The city subsidizes Iron Eagle.

It would help keep city taxes down, Groene said.

Groene compared the Spike to the Archway at Kearney, even though visits to the Archway are much higher. The Kearney Archway attracted at least 150,000 visitors last year, he said.

However, Kearney is not on the hook for the Arch.

Kearney paid $650,000 for the attraction. The rest of the money – nearly $60 million -- came from private investors who later lost out when the Arch went bankrupt.

Kearney also collects occupation taxes. The city council recently appropriated $150,000 a year for 10 years to pay city golf course bonds.
North Platte Telegraph wrote: Mayor questions recall

Mayor G. Keith Richardson expressed concern Friday about a threatened plan to seek the recall of five members of the North Platte City Council in a dispute over the Golden Spike project.
Richardson told The Telegraph Friday that Leonard Hiatt, who threatened the recall at Thursday's city council meeting, had mentioned the possibility of a recall to him prior to the November election.
"But I just blew it off,'' Richardson said. "I don't think he has done his homework.''
Hiatt said Thursday that unless the council takes action to change the funding of the proposed Golden Spike observation tower at Bailey Yards, an effort to recall five members of the council will be initiated.
In October 1999, the council voted to create an occupation tax to fund the Golden Spike project, and in 2002 the term was extended until at least 2029. Revenue from the 2-percent tax on hotel and motel rooms averages slightly less that $300,000 a year.
At their Nov. 16, 2004, meeting, the council voted in favor of an agreement that will give the city an option to purchase the project for $1 once the loan of up to $4.1 million from the United States Department of Agriculture is paid off, in 24 years.
During the meeting Thursday, Richardson told Hiatt that he would like to see something in writing regarding any recall.
During the meeting Thursday, Hiatt said five council members would be the subjects of the recall. The five members are Janet Fear, Jerry Stoll, Glenn Petersen, Dan McGuire and John Gutschenritter. However, under state statute, McGuire and Stoll may not to subject to a recall at this time, because they were re-elected in November, and have served less than six months of their current terms.
"I'm troubled by this," Richardson said. "I wish they had come to me and City Administrator Jim Hawks so we could sit down and talk about it. Then we could approach the council and the Golden Spike board. "
Richardson said he too has concerns about the Golden Spike project.
"I have questions too," he said. "Questions about finances, reporting and accountability. It is unfortunate that the citizens of North Platte did not have the opportunity to vote. If they had voted on it, I have no doubt it would have gone down in defeat."
Friday afternoon, Hiatt said the residents of North Platte might have a chance to vote on the Golden Spike issue after all.
"It will probably not be a recall at the start," Hiatt said. "We intend to file an injunction against the city to prevent them from giving funds to the Golden Spike until it is up for a vote."
Hiatt declined to say who else is involved in the move to file the injunction, saying that he intended to comment more on the issue next week.
The mayor said he can see many other worthwhile options for the proceeds of the occupation tax.
"A water treatment plant," Richardson said. "Someday we are going to be forced to treat our water by a mandate from the federal government, at our expense. The golf course would be a good example, along with a wastewater treatment plant, the streets of the city and the possibility of a new fire truck."
Richardson said he thought the concept for the Spike project was an excellent one.
"But from that day on, it was a fiasco," he said.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think UP should take all the royalty fees they are now charging manufacturers of toy trains (which I think is utterly ridiculous)... and put it all towards the Spike. :)
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Omaha World Herald wrote: Planners of Golden Spike being realistic

KEARNEY, Neb. (AP) - Be realistic about attendance projections. Hold down construction costs. Rely on volunteers and word-of-mouth advertising.

That is some of the advice officials at the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument in Kearney have for planners of a proposed Golden Spike railroad tower in North Platte.

The tower will be built to provide a bird's-eye view of Union Pacific's Bailey Yard, the largest railcar classification complex in the world.

The $60 million archway over Interstate 80 was built to honor Old West trails and opened to great fanfare in 2000. But it has struggled with attendance and has not met financial projections.

Promoters of the proposed tower in North Platte, which could open in May 2006, say they are being realistic. For example, a construction bid came in at $3.2 million, but planners are working to have that reduced. Funding will come partly from a North Platte occupancy tax and a federal loan.

Promoters are counting on 20,000 visitors to the tower in its first year and about 50,000 a year after that.

"The arch has had its struggles with attendance and finances, and those are certainly some issues that we kept in mind while planning (the spike)," said DiAnn Kolkman, chairman of the Spike board of directors.

At one time, the North Platte tower was going to look like a railroad spike, but that idea was spiked as too expensive.

Original drawings for the tower had it all steel and 150 feet tall, but the board decided a 93-foot tower would do just as well. A proposed gift shop and several kiosks were rejected as unnecessary, said Pat Keenan, the board's treasurer.

"We thought, people are going to come to see the trains, not to buy trinkets," Keenan said.

The main focus of the tower will be the view - a 360-degree look at Bailey Yards from a observation deck.

Phil Kozera, executive director of the archway, said the North Platte tower will attract train fans, but it might have trouble bringing in impulse travelers from Interstate 80. The tower will not be visible from that highly traveled corridor.

Keenan said the board will count on railroad and history buffs.

The board hopes to market the spike with the Lincoln County Historical Museum, which showcases the World War II Canteen and Buffalo Bill Cody's Scouts Rest Ranch.

"We plan to cross-market everything there is to do in North Platte," Keenan said.

Kozera said he doesn't see the tower so much as a competitor to the archway as a collaborator. Another destination in Nebraska could help draw visitors, Kozera said.

"I see it as adding credibility to the history we have in this region," Kozera said.

The archway's best advertising has been word of mouth, and volunteer greeters have been invaluable, Kozera said.

Keenan said volunteer workers and a simplified ticket purchase system should allow the tower to have just one paid employee.

Spike officials have stayed in contact with the archway 90 miles to the east and hope to cooperate with the monument on marketing, Kolkman said.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Omaha World Herald wrote: Lawsuit means delay for Golden Spike tower

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (AP) - A lawsuit over the funding of the Golden Spike observation tower has delayed construction.

Golden Spike Board of Directors President DiAnn Kolkman said the board was days away from announcing that construction would began when the City of North Platte was sued last week.

Four men filed the lawsuit in Lincoln County District Court. The suit contends that the city is overstepping its role by directing tax funds to the proposed tower overlooking the massive Bailey Yard.

The lawsuit claims the 2-percent occupation tax on hotel accommodations is unlawful and beyond the power of the city.

Kolkman said visitors will pay for the tax and the city will benefit by an increase in tourism.

Golden Spike plans to seek reimbursement for legal expenses from the plaintiffs, Kolkman said.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

On to the state supreme court.

http://www.ketv.com/news/7999596/detail.html
The controversy surrounding the proposed Golden Spike Tower and Visitors Center at North Platte may be settled before the Nebraska Supreme Court.

A decision by the high court would determine whether the Spike Tower gets built or if the money collected from North Platte's occupation tax gets redistributed. The proposed tower would provide a panoramic view of Union Pacific's Bailey Yard, the largest railcar classification complex in the world.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I don't want to sound mean but I think this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. I've driven under the arch a hundred times & have no want to stop an take a tour of it. I'm sure it's very impressive inside but the vast majority of I-80 travelers just want to ge to their destination and don't want to stop and spend a couple of hours at that place let alone drive in to North Platte and go look at a large rail yard. I'm sure it's impressive but lets be realistic here.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I have to agree with all the negative comments but I had said them my self I would have been reprimanded to say the least.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I think this is less of a: "golly gee, ma! look at that there thing in the distance! we should pull of this here highway and check 'er out!" so much as it's a destination for rail enthusiasts. That is, they're know it's there and they'll go specifically for it.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I used to date a girl that worked for Union Pacific. She gave me calendars that I gave out to some people every year out here in the DC area. They loved them and would always ask for extras. It is not my thing, but I think this project would succeed, these train people are serious enthusiasts.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Golden Spike moving forward

North Platte Telegraph wrote:Bids on the proposed Golden Spike Tower and Visitor Center have been received, and it appears the delay caused by a lawsuit challenging funding for the project added $250,000 to the price tag. Construction bids alone have increased by $191,000 since bids were taken in Dec. 2004.

Simon Contractors of North Platte submitted the low bid of $3.424 million for the project. Golden Spike Board Chairwoman DiAnn Kolkman told the city council administration and finance committee on Tuesday that the board believes the project is still "sustainable" under the current funding plan...

The total cost of the project, when completed, will be around $6 million, Kolkman said. That total includes the money paid to Omaha consultant J. Greg Smith.

"This idea came about because there was a group of people who wanted to improve the viewing area near Bailey Yard," Kolkman said. "When it finally came to fruition, and they said, 'hey we are serious about this,' they brought in J. Greg Smith of Omaha who came up with a wonderfully appearing project, a tower that looked like a golden spike."
When the Golden Spike board incorporated, the agreement with Smith had expired, and new architects were brought in to re-design a more conservative project.
Golden Spike project timeline:
  • 1997-steering committee formed to look at ways to maximize tourism potential for the Union Pacific's Bailey Yard, the world's largest classification yard. A decision is made to build a tower on the site owned by the UP where current observation deck now stands. UP agrees to a 20-year lease on the property as an "in kind" donation.
  • 1998 - City council approves use of $400,000 in Municipal Infrastructure Redevelopment Funds for the project. Lincoln County Community Development Corporation selected as administer of funds for the Golden Spike. Projected cost of the project - $927,000.
  • 1998 Cost projected at $2.5 million, with construction costs estimated at $1.3 million.
  • 1999- Occupation tax on hotel and motel rooms instituted for funding source of project. J. Greg Smith is brought in to design a concept, and comes up with 15-story attraction shaped like a spike, visible from Interstate 80. Smith estimated 200,000 people would visit each year. Richard Dunn Architect firm hired - designs included a Hall of Fame room, gift shop, "Golden Spike Room" with screens for broadcasting the "Wow" movie. Official fundraising drive begins. Project estimated at $3 million.
    n 2001 - City council extends occupation tax through 2021. Articles of incorporation are filed, and a board is named. Board members appointed to executive positions include DiAnn Kolkman of First National Bank, president; Pat Keenan of Keenan Consulting, treasurer and Deloyt Young, Union Pacific Railroad, retired, as secretary. Other members included John Way of Wells Fargo Bank, Gayland Meyer of Simon Contractors, retired, and Larry Shearer of the North Platte Telegraph.
  • 2001 - LCCDC executive director Moraine Taylor Davis resigns. In July, an audit is conducted.
  • 2002 - an application for a USDA loan for $4.1 million is submitted. The LCCDC turns over $763,000 to the Golden Spike Corporation, and documents transferred from the LCCDC to the Golden Spike board of directors.
  • 2003 - $86,000 of occupation tax revenue is missing from the combined accounts of the LCCDC and the Golden Spike. An "accounting error," is blamed, which allowed the funds to go into LCCDC housing projects. The LCCDC repays approximately one half, the other half is written off as administrative costs. Estimated cost of the project - $6 million.
  • 2004 - Board announced the project has been "revamped," and scaled down. A new site is selected, after the USDA and the UP could not come to terms on a lease agreement. An option agreement to purchase 10 acres from Hideo Kamino is signed. Bids on the new design come in at 17 percent above estimates. Paulsen Construction has the low bid of $3.254 million.
  • 2005 - Mayor G. Keith Richardson announces he will not appoint city council president as a voting member of the Golden Spike board. City administrator and council president will serve as non-voting liaisons for the city, Richardson said.
  • February - A lawsuit is filed, putting the project on hold.
  • March -Lawsuit is dismissed in Lincoln County District Court. An appeal is filed.
  • May - Opponents of the project circulate a petition, calling for the occupation tax issue to be put to a "vote of the people."
  • June - Documents show that $1,078,752 has been spent on the project.
  • 2006 - The Nebraska Supreme Court agrees to hear appeal. The appeal is scheduled for June 1.
  • April - Pat Keenan resigns from Golden Spike board.
  • May 30 - An agreement is signed, dismissing the appeal.
  • July - Bids are received.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jhuston wrote:I think UP should take all the royalty fees they are now charging manufacturers of toy trains (which I think is utterly ridiculous)... and put it all towards the Spike. :)
Jeff,
Josh said they are using that money to keep the Chananger, the 844, and other historical equipment running!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

too bad it won't be done next week when I am there.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

20,000 to 40,000 a year... I think those are very attainable numbers.

I don't even consider myself a 'train buff' and I know I stop by there just about every time I drive the family by there.  It's like the O'Hare of freight rail traffic... it's going to be REALLY impressive when you can get a bird's eye view of the entire spread.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Union Pacific's Baily Yard, North Plate Nebraska is on Modern Marvels on the History Channel (Cox 60)

Kick |expletive|!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I saw it... good stuff!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Speaking of which - it was recently in the news:

First section erected for Spike observation tower
North Platte Bulletin wrote:The first section of the Bailey Yard observation tower was erected Tuesday near the headquarters of the world’s largest train yard. A crane with a 160-foot-tall boom lifted a pre-cast, 28-foot-tall concrete section of the elevator wall in place Tuesday afternoon. Foreman Tait Rowley said the tower would go up quickly. The entire 100 feet of the tower will be erected in 45 days, barring unexpected trouble, he said. Rowley said his crew would put up four more sections Tuesday. The tower will be put together in 87 sections that have been pre-cast by Concrete Industries of Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone have a map, I would like to look at it next Wednesday on my way to Estes.  I like to get off of I80 in north Platte and follow the Union Pacific to Ogalla before hopping on I76
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool, Looks like I will check it out next week.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I was disappointed the Modern Marvels piece didn't mention the 'flattened' looking remote control switcher engines they have running around Bailey. Last year was the first time I'd seen these before.

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They didn't show UP's Dispatch either, but since its undergoing a Major overhaul, that could be why.  Overall it was a Good Program.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Are you familiar with these unusual looking 'switcher' engines?   I have looked around the web and can't find any pictures.