Official: North Platte Golden Spike tower

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Are you familiar with these unusual looking 'switcher' engines?   I have looked around the web and can't find any pictures.

Was it this:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

No... they don't even have a cab.  The first time I saw one I thought it was a flat bed car rolling along (that's how short they are).  It was kind of freaky watching them move around.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

a Slug:

A railroad slug is an accessory to a diesel-electric locomotive. It has trucks with traction motors but is unable to move about under its own power, as it does not contain a prime mover to produce electricity. Instead, it is connected to a locomotive, called the mother, which provides current to operate the traction motors.

Slugs are used in situations where high tractive effort is more important than extra power, such as switching operations in yards. At low speeds, a diesel-electric locomotive's prime mover can produce more electric power than its traction motors can use. Extra power would simply cause the wheels to slip and/or overheat the traction motors. A slug effectively adds axles to the locomotive, increasing both the pulling and braking power. Slugs carry ballast to increase their weight and improve traction. Large blocks of concrete are frequently used for this purpose, substituting for the weight of the now-absent diesel engine(s).

Slugs can be built new or converted from existing locomotives. Conversion has enjoyed popularity as a way to reuse otherwise obsolete engines.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Ah yes... that's it!  Thanks Brad.

But that description contradicts what I was seeing.  These 'slugs' were moving entirely under their own power!?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I will have to look around.  When I do is use UP's roster:

http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/attachments/locorost.pdf

Then search for images on Google.  There is too many switch locomotives to do that now, but later tonight I can find it.

That definition is probably old, its from wickipedia.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess I saw them moving... but perhaps not pulling anything.  I suppose they can move under their own power just to get hooked up to it's 'mother'.   At any rate... I had never seen these before.

I really enjoy going to Bailey Yard.  When I was a single parent, I took my (then) 4 year old son out there... it was dark when we arrived at the observation stand, so there wasn't much for my son to see, but then this big diesel came around that curve under the 'hump'...it's lights illuminating us... as it straightened up, the first thing we could see was the engineer waving at us.. and my son waved back.  Funny, kind of choked me up a little.

Sorry to hijack the thread! :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I guess I saw them moving... but perhaps not pulling anything.  I suppose they can move under their own power just to get hooked up to it's 'mother'.   At any rate... I had never seen these before.

I really enjoy going to Bailey Yard.  When I was a single parent, I took my (then) 4 year old son out there... it was dark when we arrived at the observation stand, so there wasn't much for my son to see, but then this big diesel came around that curve under the 'hump'...it's lights illuminating us... as it straightened up, the first thing we could see was the engineer waving at us.. and my son waved back.  Funny, kind of choked me up a little.

Sorry to hijack the thread! :)
Sounds like me when I was a kid.  My aunt lived on the BN Mainline in Hastings.  I would play out in the backyard all day and watch those trains go by.  When I was a kid a saw a few BN slugs, sometimes it was literally an old locomotive with the cab cut off.  I have never seen a UP one in person.

So is there an observation tower now while the golden spike tower is being build?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The observation 'stand' has been there for years.  I haven't been there since they started building the new tower... so I don't know if it's in the same location or not.  Looking at the map from their website... I was thinking that old observation stand was located a little further to the west.  You can actually see the curve going under the 'hump', which I was referring to earlier, just north of the pond adjacent W Front Rd.  Just to the east of that pond is about where I would have guessed the old observation stand was.  

I would estimate where they're showing the golden spike tower location... is close to where the engine shops is.

I actually took some video last time I was there... I guess I should upload it to youtube.
Brad
City Council

North Platte to host first-ever "Rail Fest" celebr

Post by Brad »

North Platte to host first-ever "Rail Fest" celebration

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10131346
NORTH PLATTE - A visit by the last steam engine built for the Union Pacific, No. 844, plus train rides and tours of the world's largest rail year will highlight a first-ever "Rail Fest" celebration Sept. 21-23 in this Nebraska railroading center.

One of the organizers said he hopes the celebration becomes to railroad buffs what the annual motorcycle rally in Sturgis, S.D., is to bikers.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is some of what you should see at Railfest:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Golden Spike Tower and Visitors Center:

Due to open in the Spring of 2008!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome!

Do they have a website?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Erik
Parks & Recreation

egh..

Post by Erik »

:? How much money was spent on that?
Brad
City Council

Re: egh..

Post by Brad »

Erik wrote::? How much money was spent on that?
correct me if I am wrong, but the reason it has taken so long is because its all private money.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And they had to cut it back several times. The original design was much better.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Who cares?  The point was to give rail fanatics from all over the US an overhead view of North America's largest rail yard. They're not coming to see the tower.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

edsas wrote:
Who cares?  The point was to give rail fanatics from all over the US an overhead view of North America's largest rail yard. They're not coming to see the tower.

I see, for some reason I was thinking the tower was built to 'draw' people to it.  My bad, I now understand its purpose  :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

JB wrote:Thought I would just give an update on this.  The Golden Spike has been completed... I haven't been back to see it yet, but I believe it would provide the platform you guys needed to take some good pics!

http://video.nptelegraph.com/Golden_Spike.html
Thanks for the video!  I am there SOON!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Supply, Diesel Shop, Sand & Fuel Tower, East Bound Bowl Tracks

Sand Tower, Fuel Tower, East Bound Hump & Bowl Tracks

East Bound Bowl Tracks

3 Through Tracks (Blue Coal Cars) - West Bound Hump (in the middle of pic)

West Side Bowl Tracks

Superintendents Building

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool, at least it was sunny when you were there!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Shouldn't it be golden...? Or look a bit more like a railroad spike? As is it pretty much looks like an airport control tower.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The original tower was much better. They had to cut back due to costs. Locals were against this and tried to recall the city council. It sort of looks like a spike.
Brad
City Council

Re: Official: North Platte Golden Spike tower

Post by Brad »

North Platte's Golden Spike Tower loses about $47,000 in 2013

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140224/N ... 00-in-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;