Grand Island to achieve metropolitian area status by 2010?

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
County Board

Grand Island to achieve metropolitian area status by 2010?

Post by Garrett »

According to wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Island,_Nebraska
Grand Island had  population of 49,802 (which also makes it the 3rd largest city) in 2009, which is 198 short of becoming a metropolitan area. Also, assuming the estimate is correct, that would mean Grand Island has had a growth rate of 16 percent since 2000.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

My, what an exciting number that would be! But, the July 2009 estimates for places hasn't been released yet. The July 2008 estimate for GI is 45,801.

On the other hand, if I recall, the status on metros will change to allow the areas surrounding the primary city that are within the zoning authority boundaries to be counted. I don't recall the exact verbiage. When you include the good folks living within the Hidden Lakes, Indian Hills and other subdivisions just outside of the city limits, plus on the Merrick County side of Gun Barrel Road, I think there's a pretty reasonable assumption that the total will exceed 50,000.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Did Grand Island suddenly start growing faster than Bellevue at some point this decade?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 3ce6c.html
Grand Island has officially become a 50,000 population “urbanized area.”

But that does not mean Grand Island has 50,000 people within its city limits.

It does mean that Grand Island proper, as well as the unincorporated subdivisions immediately surrounding the city, now has more than 50,000 people.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Grand Island’s urbanized area has 50,440 people.
David Drozd, research coordinator for the Center for Public Affairs Research at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, said Grand Island’s urbanized area grow almost 11 percent between 2000 and 2010, going from 45,499 on April 1, 2000, to 50,440 on April 1, 2010.
Nabity said that following the 2000 Census, the U.S. Office of Management and Budget changed the definition in a way that actually made it easier for a community to be called metropolitan. He said a city was not mandated to have 50,000 people within its municipal limits to qualify as metropolitan; it could expand its count to nearby subdivisions just outside the city limits in order to be called metropolitan.

As Drozd put it, if the Office of Management and Budget declares Grand Island a metropolitan area, then “move over, Lincoln and Omaha!”
He probably meant... "scoot over".  :lol:
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Sorry for the ignorance...what does this mean for GI? I mean I am loving all the development. I did hear at one point that the 50,000 mark means more allocated funds toward public transportation. Is that true?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:Sorry for the ignorance...what does this mean for GI? I mean I am loving all the development. I did hear at one point that the 50,000 mark means more allocated funds toward public transportation. Is that true?
Don't know. Here's more from the article though, about what it could mean...
Nabity said having Grand Island defined as a metropolitan area could mean it must comply with additional mandates from the federal government. However, Nabity said being declared a metropolitan area could also qualify Grand Island for new and additional sources of federal funding.
Kinda vague and obtuse...
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

This urbanized definition recognizes Grand Island as a growing city that has surpassed the OMBs minimum of 50k people to be called a metropolitan city.  Look for GI to be upgraded from a micropolitan area to a metropolitan area in the redefined status in 2013.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

:coolwoot:  :banana:  :clap:
Erik wrote:This urbanized definition recognizes Grand Island as a growing city that has surpassed the OMBs minimum of 50k people to be called a metropolitan city.  Look for GI to be upgraded from a micropolitan area to a metropolitan area in the redefined status in 2013.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

It's official! The news snuck in without fanfare, but GI is now a metro! The US Census has added Hamilton County to the previous micropolitan area and the new county estimates give the Grand Island Metropolitan Statistical Area a population of 83,462.

Fullscreen capture 3142013 70636 AM by candleshoe, on Flickr
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Nearly 2/3 of Nebraskans now officially live in urban areas.  Amazing!
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

2/3 of Nebraskans living in Metro areas. Not amazing.