News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
Planning Board

Re: ConAgra moving to Chicago

Post by Garrett »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I wonder if they plan on getting rid of the other two then.
I have a feeling the odds of any of the buildings getting demolished are very low. Plus, those other buildings really aren't in a spot where making them into something else would bring anything worth while.
Oh, I was just talking about them moving out of those ones.
According to the article in the World Herald, purchasing buildings actually makes them more likely to be developed.

Here's the map from the article. They also purchased the northern garage along Farnam.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

This move suggests to me they are planning on selling the buildings they own. They bought the buildings as a way out of a long-term lease. In general, companies today prefer to lease buildings rather than own them outright (look at what's happening with Cabela's right now for more on this topic).

ConAgra would likely continue to occupy Buildings 6 and 9 (the green buildings in the diagram). The others would be sold off, possibly as a package to a developer.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

So this is likely the first step in a lengthy redevelopment process?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It's an encouraging sign some of the property might now get sold. I would love to see the main flag-lined entry promenade and soon-to-be former HQ building (furthest northwest building) get bulldozed and redeveloped into something new and useful to more Omahans. It would be great to restore part of the old street grid as an extension of the Old Market. It wouldn't have to be any one single big development, just having several lots for new infill to be built incrementally would be fine. No more parking garages please.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:It's an encouraging sign some of the property might now get sold. I would love to see the main flag-lined entry promenade and soon-to-be former HQ building (furthest northwest building) get bulldozed and redeveloped into something new and useful to more Omahans. It would be great to restore part of the old street grid as an extension of the Old Market. It wouldn't have to be any one single big development, just having several lots for new infill to be built incrementally would be fine. No more parking garages please.
The article said the test kitchens are in the northernmost building, so that one is staying for sure. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just bepopped out of downtown altogether and built a new facility somewhere in an anonymous part of West Omaha. I guess the jobs downtown are nice, but really, what's the point of keeping them there?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I'm pretty sure this picture shows the building that used to stand where the ConAgra flag promenade is. (The one off to the left)

10th street should have an urban canyon like feeling, like it used to have, in my opinion.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RNcyanide wrote:
GetUrban wrote:It's an encouraging sign some of the property might now get sold. I would love to see the main flag-lined entry promenade and soon-to-be former HQ building (furthest northwest building) get bulldozed and redeveloped into something new and useful to more Omahans. It would be great to restore part of the old street grid as an extension of the Old Market. It wouldn't have to be any one single big development, just having several lots for new infill to be built incrementally would be fine. No more parking garages please.
The article said the test kitchens are in the northernmost building, so that one is staying for sure. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just bepopped out of downtown altogether and built a new facility somewhere in an anonymous part of West Omaha. I guess the jobs downtown are nice, but really, what's the point of keeping them there?

I am betting if they bepopped out of down town it would be for a location a lot further away than West O.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Midwestern wrote:I'm pretty sure this picture shows the building that used to stand where the ConAgra flag promenade is. (The one off to the left)

10th street should have an urban canyon like feeling, like it used to have, in my opinion.
Yes the building to the front of the picture is the current Visitors Bureau. Wow that used to look good. Hopefully in the next 10 years or less we can have buildings occupy that flag area as well as the grassy area to the south of it.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Midwestern wrote:I'm pretty sure this picture shows the building that used to stand where the ConAgra flag promenade is. (The one off to the left)

Great pic....thanks for posting. Those were the days. But there is hope!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Private Label going to Treehouse Foods. Jobs will stay in Omaha.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:Private Label going to Treehouse Foods. Jobs will stay in Omaha.
They plan to double the local private label workforce from 140 to 280.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:Private Label going to Treehouse Foods. Jobs will stay in Omaha.
They plan to double the local private label workforce from 140 to 280.
Good call!

TreeHouse doubles the number of former ConAgra staff to be hired
Barbara Soderlin - World-Herald staff writer wrote:The company said site selection is underway in Omaha. TreeHouse’s Omaha workers will handle customer service, finance, information technology, research and development, and supply chain roles.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wonder where they will end up. That is a really good chunk of jobs for whatever submarket gets them.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

iamjacobm wrote:I wonder where they will end up. That is a really good chunk of jobs for whatever submarket gets them.
I think this could even signal an eventual move of the Corporate HQ to Omaha. They didn't have a very large office presence in Chicago (they have 2 offices in suburban Chicago Land), and they also had a small presence in St Louis. Judging by these numbers, I'm guessing Omaha will be their largest presence now, and perhaps it would make sense to consolidate to Omaha at some point.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

riceweb wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I wonder where they will end up. That is a really good chunk of jobs for whatever submarket gets them.
I think this could even signal an eventual move of the Corporate HQ to Omaha. They didn't have a very large office presence in Chicago (they have 2 offices in suburban Chicago Land), and they also had a small presence in St Louis. Judging by these numbers, I'm guessing Omaha will be their largest presence now, and perhaps it would make sense to consolidate to Omaha at some point.
That would be ironic. Lose a Fortune 500 HQ, but gain a HQ of the largest private label food maker.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

skinzfan23 wrote:
riceweb wrote:
That would be ironic. Lose a Fortune 500 HQ, but gain a HQ of the largest private label food maker.
Who will likely end up on at least the Fortune 1000 after the acquisition closes.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

riceweb wrote:
Its fun speculation, but having a huge experienced talent pool in the field available here is probably what leads to the larger workforce. Maybe the Chamber can work some magic though, who knows.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Around 80% of what remains of my contact's department is being outsourced, with around 130 layoffs expected.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bln813
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bln813 »

hi
Last edited by bln813 on Tue May 18, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveRodgers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaveRodgers »

RNcyanide wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Guest32 wrote:Talking to some people locally it sounds like the Great Wolf Lodge stuff is more than just rumors at this point. Stay tuned...
Great Wolf Lodge is planning to buy acres of land downtown that's not even for sale? Sounds legit.
Where did that turd of a rumor come from??
Crazy this guy called it back in 2015. Great Wolf is confirmed as part of the recent ConAgra/Hines news. Has been in the works for years I guess.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So ConAgra making a big purchase buying Pinnacle Foods an 11 billion dollar deal. Will be interesting to see what redundancies are cut out of where.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/b ... 4ed20.html
Conagra Brands’ upcoming $10.9 billion purchase of a rival food company might mean a boost for the city where Conagra has the most workers: Omaha.

“It’s entirely possible that as the company grows, so will our Omaha office and our Chicago office,” Sean Connolly, president and chief executive of Conagra, told The World-Herald on Wednesday. “Omaha is critical to our overall success” as the company begins to grow after three years of tough changes.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.startribune.com/conagra-to-c ... 487262281/
Conagra is closing Boomchickapop's Minneapolis headquarters and moving the work to its Chicago and Omaha offices.

Packaged foods giant Conagra Brands Inc. bought Angie's Artisan Treats and its popular Boomchickapop popcorn brand in September for $250 million in cash.

At the time of the sale, Chicago-based Conagra declined to comment on the fate of its Minneapolis headquarters, but over the past several months the company has been quietly closing down Boomchickapop's Minneapolis headquarters.

Conagra spokeswoman Lanie Friedman confirmed it is moving the corporate functions to Chicago and Omaha.

At its peak, Angie's Boomchickapop employed between 50 and 60 people at its Minneapolis headquarters in the Loring Park neighborhood. On Thursday, only a few workers were still working at the office.
Entirely different scale obviously, but hopefully it bodes well for any Pinnacle Foods redundancy eliminations that could be down the line.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

500 jobs from NJ going away. Royally ticked off a local politician.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/parsippany ... nator-says
"I have one thing to say to Conagra – shame on you," Pennacchio said in a statement. "Announcing layoffs two weeks before Christmas is a gutless and soulless thing to do."

Conagra announced they would be closing the Parsippany and Cherry Hill locations sometime in 2019 in a statement last week. According to notices filed with the state, 308 Parsippany employees and 196 in Cherry Hill will be laid off.

Both New Jersey offices used to be owned by Pinnacle Foods; that company was sold to Conagra earlier in 2018 for nearly $11 billion, NJ.com reported. Conagra makes a wide variety of food brands, including Hebrew National, Marie Callender's, Slim Jims, and Chef Boyardee.
Some employees will be invited to apply for positions at other Congra locations in Chicago or Omaha, Nebraska, where the corporate offices are located.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

That’s some ruthless corporate takeover type stuff.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

A sliver of light for some that they can apply for jobs in Chicago or Omaha. Wonder how that will go? It would be nice to pick up some people, though some might :roll: an offer to move to Omaha, unfortunately. Still, that's a cold move on Conagra's part.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm sure the guy in New Jersey was all broken up when Pinnacle closed an Omaha plant & tossed those jobs to New Jersey...or when Tree House foods closed its Omaha office & threw out 200 jobs.

Folks, jobs move around all the time & the fact is that sometimes tastes change & nobody wants salsbury steak out of a tin foil container any more. The punk in Chicago running ConAgra is having a ball buying & selling. I bet he's got great seats to the Bulls & Bears though.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

ConAgra stock has gone down since they moved from Omaha to Chicago. Wasn’t it supposed to go up ?
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Cermak wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 am ConAgra stock has gone down since they moved from Omaha to Chicago. Wasn’t it supposed to go up ?
Stock price doesn't matter much to that Judas who wanted to move CAG back to Chicago so he could be nearer to his mistr^H^H^H^H^H family.
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

Not a huge secret but the first Pinnacle -> Conagra employees from New Jersey are starting to trickle in to Omaha and Chicago. Aside from transfers there are about 100 corporate jobs open total, around 50 in each location. I know there are plans to hire even more as folks in New Jersey start to hit their end dates and need to be replaced in Omaha and Chicago. The three buildings in Omaha recently went through a substantial spatial reorganization to try to maximize the amount of space, and its about at the limit. Already hearing rumors about an auxiliary office and who would be there.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I talked to a buddy of mine that works for Conagra in Chicago. He used to work at the Omaha campus and moved with the company. He told me that the higher ups in the company are fed up with Chicago. They’re having a terrible time finding qualified people to work. They hire people and most end up being no shows within the first few weeks of employment. People show up at the office late every day because of traffic. Many of the employees are afraid to take public transportation because of all the violent crime that happens on it. He said crime has even gotten bad right by the office. He said there was a glimmer of hope that things would get better when their soft on crime mayor got voted out, but it sounds like the new guy is going to be just as bad, if not worse. I told him the company just needs to move back to Omaha, and his reply was that they’ve had many serious discussions about moving out of Chicago, but he couldn’t specify where they could possibly move to. I wonder if there’s a chance that they move back to Omaha?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaOmaha wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:55 pm I talked to a buddy of mine that works for Conagra in Chicago. He used to work at the Omaha campus and moved with the company. He told me that the higher ups in the company are fed up with Chicago. They’re having a terrible time finding qualified people to work. They hire people and most end up being no shows within the first few weeks of employment. People show up at the office late every day because of traffic. Many of the employees are afraid to take public transportation because of all the violent crime that happens on it. He said crime has even gotten bad right by the office. He said there was a glimmer of hope that things would get better when their soft on crime mayor got voted out, but it sounds like the new guy is going to be just as bad, if not worse. I told him the company just needs to move back to Omaha, and his reply was that they’ve had many serious discussions about moving out of Chicago, but he couldn’t specify where they could possibly move to. I wonder if there’s a chance that they move back to Omaha?
That sounds like more of a Conagra problem than a Chicago problem. McDonald's had a very opposite experience when they moved from the suburbs to the city. If they were expecting to move to Chicago and that it would just be like Omaha but with a few more people around to hire, than it was never going to work out for them.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

OmahaOmaha wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:55 pm I talked to a buddy of mine that works for Conagra in Chicago. He used to work at the Omaha campus and moved with the company. He told me that the higher ups in the company are fed up with Chicago. They’re having a terrible time finding qualified people to work. They hire people and most end up being no shows within the first few weeks of employment. People show up at the office late every day because of traffic. Many of the employees are afraid to take public transportation because of all the violent crime that happens on it. He said crime has even gotten bad right by the office. He said there was a glimmer of hope that things would get better when their soft on crime mayor got voted out, but it sounds like the new guy is going to be just as bad, if not worse. I told him the company just needs to move back to Omaha, and his reply was that they’ve had many serious discussions about moving out of Chicago, but he couldn’t specify where they could possibly move to. I wonder if there’s a chance that they move back to Omaha?
Can't comment on whether they would come back to Omaha, but based on info online, they entered a 15 year lease. They are in year 6 of that lease, I think. If they break it in the next year or two, they could still be on the hook for tens of millions, depending on the terms of the lease.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I've seen this book and read this movie before. Sure, CAG will come back, with TIF and all the other goodies. Then when the deferrals run out, hello Dallas or Austin or Nashville. Or, they skip the middleman and go right to the sun belt.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

ConAgra can stay in the windy city... or even move as long as it's NOT back to Omaha. As far as I'm concerned they deserve NOTHING as far as handouts and incentives to return. Anyone that disagrees with that position must have family, friends or stock in the company. IMO they shouldn't be given a penny. Even discussing this feels like it's benefitted ConAgra way too much.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Don't get mad at ConAgra because some corporate aho wants to live somewhere else. If memory serves me right that happened at UP.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

CAG can come back, but with no TIF or other support. They got a big dose at the beginning and have had their share.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

S.O.Boy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:19 pm Don't get mad at ConAgra because some corporate aho wants to live somewhere else. If memory serves me right that happened at UP.
It's actually quite sad that a publicly traded company has to bow down to a dumb CEO they hire and relocate the guts of the company to another part of the country. That's the "mad" part.

But hey it's a free world and they can do as they wish. I wouldn't give them a pot to upset in if I had anything to do with it. However if our local or state govt feels otherwise and they want to bend over and take it in the shorts, then more power to them!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The Merchandise Mart is in River North. It's a pretty safe area and there are tons of apartments, condos, restaurants, etc. etc. There's a cta station right in the Mart. It's probably one of the safer areas in the Chicago metro. Of course there is crime. It's Chicago. I'd be surprised if the talk of trouble hiring turns out to be true.
I took a look at the openings at the Chicago office. Not exactly entry level positions. Also not a lot of positions for college grads. In short, the above post doesn't look like it holds with the facts. There are 30 openings listed in Chicago. Not exactly a huge number.

I'm not defending the snot nose who moved the HQ to Chicago. I'm just saying it's a stretch.

As for moving back to Omaha I don't really buy that either. Someone may be checking out options. That's something lots of companies do from time to time.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
OmahaRedWing
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaRedWing »

NovakOmaha wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 pm The Merchandise Mart is in River North. It's a pretty safe area and there are tons of apartments, condos, restaurants, etc. etc. There's a cta station right in the Mart. It's probably one of the safer areas in the Chicago metro. Of course there is crime. It's Chicago. I'd be surprised if the talk of trouble hiring turns out to be true.
I took a look at the openings at the Chicago office. Not exactly entry level positions. Also not a lot of positions for college grads. In short, the above post doesn't look like it holds with the facts. There are 30 openings listed in Chicago. Not exactly a huge number.

I'm not defending the snot nose who moved the HQ to Chicago. I'm just saying it's a stretch.

As for moving back to Omaha I don't really buy that either. Someone may be checking out options. That's something lots of companies do from time to time.
Yeah, that's a great assessment. Totally agree with your take on their job openings. It doesn't look like anything that would indicate a problem let alone drive them out of town. In the current environment, Omaha has issues with trying to find workers to fill jobs.