News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Hayneedle.com

Post by Coyote »

Hayneedle.com Continues Growth,
Opening Expanded Omaha-Based Customer Care Center This Summer

pr-use wrote:Hayneedle.com, a leading online retailer of home furnishings and lifestyle products based in Omaha, today announced plans to open a new, expanded and state-of-the-art Customer Care Center on June 28, 2010. The new Hayneedle.com Customer Care Center will be located at The Chalco Tech Center, 13831 Chalco Valley Parkway, Omaha, NE 68138. The new, 28,000 square foot Hayneedle.com Customer Care Center doubles the company's sales and service capacity, which is currently located at Hayneedle.com's Corporate Headquarters on I Street in West Omaha.

Hayneedle.com recently hired 40 new summer associates for its Customer Care Center. When operational in late June 2010, the new Hayneedle.com Customer Care Center will flex from non-peak season employment of 100 sales and service associates-- dubbed "Hayneedle.com Variety Experts" -- to more than 250 full-time and seasonal associates during the company's historically busy fourth quarter holiday shopping season.
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

Hayneedle opens another distribution center, per OWH:
plans to open a 300,000-square-foot distribution facility in Riverside, Calif., this spring, bringing the company's distribution space to 900,000 square feet.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20121120/M ... -bike-shop
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Hayneedle.com

Post by nebugeater »

Hayneedle purchased by Jet. Com

Wonder what this really means for Omaha and Hayneedle? Jet.com is not even a year old.

http://www.omaha.com/money/jet-com-to-b ... 3a732.html
When executives from New Jersey-based e-commerce company Jet.com came to Omaha to check out Hayneedle, they said they liked what they saw.
So much so that the 7-month-old Jet required hardly a couple months’ worth of consideration to decide to buy the 14-year-old Omaha-based company, executives from both organizations told The World-Herald on Friday.........................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I only used hayneedle one time because of the sales tax. I have checked out Jet but they seemed to be more expensive by almost 50% on the items I was looking for. Hopefully they keep the companies separate so they do not have to charge tax here.

Sure I pay the sales tax from online purchases at the end of the year like everyone does.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Quick bit of good news for an Omaha business this morning:

Hayneedle’s growth means more jobs in Omaha

http://www.ketv.com/article/hayneedle-s ... ha/7662571
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Sounds like more call center jobs. If West goes south, they'll probably come largely from there.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Looks like Hayneedle is moving to the Old Mill area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Looks like Hayneedle is moving to the Old Mill area.
Wonder if they are moving or expanding? If they move that great big sign, the I680 frontage might be even better exposure than they already have.

New Office:
hayneedle.JPG
hayneedle.JPG (196.61 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I suspect there's a lot of investment going into hayneedle now that Walmart is trying to build up their online business to compete with Amazon. I ordered from hayneedle a few years ago, and it was a very good experience. I'm happy to see they're doing well.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Looks like Hayneedle is moving to the Old Mill area.
Wonder if they are moving or expanding? If they move that great big sign, the I680 frontage might be even better exposure than they already have.

New Office:
hayneedle.JPG
It's kinda funny they're moving there... The building they're in now at 13831 Chalco Valley Parkway was the former Inacom Tech Center. The building they're moving into is the former Inacom headquarters... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

How many buildings do they have in Omaha, I always picture the one at 94th and West Dodge?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:How many buildings do they have in Omaha, I always picture the one at 94th and West Dodge?
I think that is their main office building. My sister works there. They may have other warehouse or office space, but I think their HQ's is at 94th and Dodge.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Brad wrote:How many buildings do they have in Omaha, I always picture the one at 94th and West Dodge?
They have two in Omaha that I know of. The corporate headquarters at 94th & Dodge, and their call center at 13831 Chalco Valley Parkway. I only remember the address because it’s a palindrome.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... le-Key-New
-Hayneedle, a leading online retailer of indoor and outdoor home furnishings and décor, announced today the addition of Scott Doughman as the new Omaha-based company president, and Anthony Soohoo as the Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Home Group across all U.S. eCommerce retail within Walmart.com, Hayneedle and Jet.

Doughman brings more than 20 years of experience with media and technology to the Hayneedle team. As the former Vice President of Global Partnerships at Yahoo!, Doughman worked with several of the world’s largest marketers to drive customer experience and brand awareness focused on the use of content and digital advertising. Prior to Yahoo, Doughman worked in strategic planning, corporate development and product management roles at Sungard, Booz Allen & Hamilton, FedEx and Price Waterhouse.

“I am thrilled to be joining Hayneedle for the next phase of its growth which we will drive through a company-wide focus on customer experience,” says Doughman. “Our parent brand, Walmart, is changing the future of online commerce, and Hayneedle sits in a unique position to make that future a reality. Collectively, we will be the leader in the home industry and pave the way for millions of people to create living spaces they love by continuing to offer quality product at a great value, alongside engaging content that will empower the customer.”
Doughman will lead the Hayneedle team out of the company’s corporate headquarters in Omaha, NE and Soohoo will head the Home Group in San Bruno, CA at Walmart eCommerce corporate headquarters.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Read the history of Hayneedle. It started in 2002 as Hammocks.com and has grown to somewhere around $500 million. Another Omaha company began with a little idea that grew into a huge company. A real success story.

Here's a somewhat downside to Omaha. Hayneedle's customers aren't mainly from around Omaha so distribution had to move. They merged distribution centers in Nashville and Omaha into one near Dayton, Ohio. They also have another one in California. The Ohio one opened a second warehouse recently. I'm including a link that expands on that end of the company.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news ... bs-to.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:Read the history of Hayneedle. It started in 2002 as Hammocks.com and has grown to somewhere around $500 million. Another Omaha company began with a little idea that grew into a huge company. A real success story.

Here's a somewhat downside to Omaha. Hayneedle's customers aren't mainly from around Omaha so distribution had to move. They merged distribution centers in Nashville and Omaha into one near Dayton, Ohio. They also have another one in California. The Ohio one opened a second warehouse recently. I'm including a link that expands on that end of the company.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news ... bs-to.html
Looking at the companies under Wal-Mart's eCommerce sector now it looks like the three main offices outside of the Wal-Mart HQ in Arkansas are Wal-Mart's eCommerce office just a mile or so away from SF's airport, Jet' HQ across the Hudson from Manhattan in Hoboken and Hayneedle in Omaha.

Pretty good coverage and interaction for an Omaha startup coast to coast.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is some somber news-

From the W-H:

“Online retailer Hayneedle is laying off 200 workers in Omaha as part of a restructuring, company officials said Thursday.

The jobs being eliminated are in the Omaha-based company’s corporate office as well as its call center, and they represent a sizable portion of Hayneedle’s workforce in the city. The company has recently employed nearly 700 workers in Omaha at three sites, including its corporate office near 90th Street and West Dodge Road.”...

The story link-

https://www.omaha.com/money/online-reta ... a0358.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 pm This is some somber news-

From the W-H:

“Online retailer Hayneedle is laying off 200 workers in Omaha as part of a restructuring, company officials said Thursday.

The jobs being eliminated are in the Omaha-based company’s corporate office as well as its call center, and they represent a sizable portion of Hayneedle’s workforce in the city. The company has recently employed nearly 700 workers in Omaha at three sites, including its corporate office near 90th Street and West Dodge Road.”...

The story link-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That's a shame. I wonder what the reason was? The article doesn't make it too clear.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Louie wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:55 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 pm This is some somber news-

From the W-H:

The story link-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
That's a shame. I wonder what the reason was? The article doesn't make it too clear.
I can't give specifics, but I know someone that works there. I was told that some decisions were made last year that made them unprofitable and this was a mad dash slash and burn to get them back to profitability. I asked if he thought all jobs would be eliminated in Omaha eventually and he said he didn't think so, but did say that the jobs that were cut would see many of them fall under WalMart's corporate umbrella instead of Hayneedle going forward.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Additional details in the KETV article: https://www.ketv.com/article/hayneedle- ... s/27349486

180 jobs at their call center and 59 at their corporate offices. It sounds like there was some shady stuff with them encouraging employees to burn PTO before the layoff.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:35 pm Additional details in the KETV article: https://www.ketv.com/article/hayneedle- ... s/27349486

180 jobs at their call center and 59 at their corporate offices. It sounds like there was some shady stuff with them encouraging employees to burn PTO before the layoff.
Yeah..It seems they were/are following the Walmart model. I had heard the place changed after Wally World bought them..and not for the better..

In any case, it’s always a shame to hear of these sort of layoffs. Luckily in Omaha, most should be able to find work rather quickly. Omaha will easily absorb this job lay-off situation...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Those sound like telemarketing jobs kind of. For every telemarketing job that ever worked out into a lifetime career there must of been a 1000 that didn't.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

For what it's worth, I love the name "Hayneedle" and love their graphic logo with the scattered needles and a riot of colors used. It's just so perfect and creative and upbeat and exciting (imo). It just works. I'm glad Walmart didn't change that aspect.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Apropos of nothing, but Hayneedle supposedly gave their peeps sixty days to find another job. I work in the same building as them out at Chalco Valley, and their lot is still full two months later. Never seen anyone being walked out carrying boxes, either.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 am Apropos of nothing, but Hayneedle supposedly gave their peeps sixty days to find another job. I work in the same building as them out at Chalco Valley, and their lot is still full two months later. Never seen anyone being walked out carrying boxes, either.
Hmmm. That’s interesting :what: .. I wonder when that 60 day ultimatum go it’s start date...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

https://www.ketv.com/article/hayneedle- ... TLtsN2i_lc

KETV is just reporting that Hayneedle is laying off 200 employees in Omaha and closing the main office at 90th and Dodge
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More than 200 Hayneedle workers to be laid off; Omaha headquarters office to close

https://www.omaha.com/money/more-than-h ... ing%20News
More than 200 Omaha area employees of online retailer Hayneedle were told Thursday that they'd be laid off and that the Omaha headquarters is closing.

About 100 workers will remain employed at the local call center, according to a spokesperson from Walmart, Hayneedle's parent company.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm More than 200 Hayneedle workers to be laid off; Omaha headquarters office to close

https://www.omaha.com/money/more-than-h ... ing%20News
More than 200 Omaha area employees of online retailer Hayneedle were told Thursday that they'd be laid off and that the Omaha headquarters is closing.

About 100 workers will remain employed at the local call center, according to a spokesperson from Walmart, Hayneedle's parent company.
That's old news by three minutes!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

That took longer than I thought it would.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

As unfortunate as this news is, at least they waited until after the Holidays to “officially” drop the hammer...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:41 pm As unfortunate as this news is, at least they waited until after the Holidays to “officially” drop the hammer...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
True. Got to wonder what kind of jobs these people could move into in Walmart. They are getting 60 days notice and outplacement services. That is something. Wonder if they will get cashed out for unused Vacation in addition to the 60 days.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha! Where you can start a business, grow it to monster proportions, sell out to the highest bidder and have them move it to Atlanta, Denver, wherever, but hey, it started in Omaha!

Ok, not always but FDR, Conagra, Enron, Hayneedle, Ameritrade, and on and on. At some point post Buffett you have to wonder about Berkshire...not that it's such a huge employment presence. But still
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 pm Omaha! Where you can start a business, grow it to monster proportions, sell out to the highest bidder and have them move it to Atlanta, Denver, wherever, but hey, it started in Omaha!

Ok, not always but FDR, Conagra, Enron, Hayneedle, Ameritrade, and on and on. At some point post Buffett you have to wonder about Berkshire...not that it's such a huge employment presence. But still
It does seem like that’s a common scenario for Omaha (Start-Build-Grow-Buyout-Leave).

I think Berkshire might stay here mainly because they have so few employees at the HQ. And the company is so intertwined with Omaha. But who knows maybe someday they will leave as well.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 pm Omaha! Where you can start a business, grow it to monster proportions, sell out to the highest bidder and have them move it to Atlanta, Denver, wherever, but hey, it started in Omaha!

Omaha stole Conagra from St. Louis, Gov. Kay Orr coughed up tax incentives.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

damonhynes wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm

I think you mean Grand Island, in 1922, when it was still known as Nebraska Consolidated Mills.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:20 pm
damonhynes wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm

I think you mean Grand Island, in 1922, when it was still known as Nebraska Consolidated Mills.
Go figure. Thanks!