Closed-circuit system recommendations

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Closed-circuit system recommendations

Post by Big E »

Looking for a do-it-yourself perimeter security camera system.  Anyone have any recommendations on a setup that meets the following criteria:

Closed circuit

Low light capable

Both outdoor and indoor

Cameras optionally activated by motion

Web browser viewing & interface (remote viewing not necessary - although a nice plus if not too expensive)

Expandable number of cameras

Hard drive based storage

Mac-compatible a plus
Last edited by Big E on Thu May 26, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Do-it-yourself (package) systems are almost always analog. I wouldn't recommend analog systems for anyone, unless they just want to be able to say they have surveillance. Anyway, sent you a pm for the rest.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

What is your budget?  I would not rule out a custom install.  It is a lot more cost effective than you might guess if you haven't checked.

I will find a mail order catalog / on line source when I get a chance that I have used for adding components to the systems we have at work.    This company has been reliable and cost effective for this type of purchase.  I just am not remembering the name right now.

I agree with the comment above, do not put in anything but digital at this point.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I've looked at pro installs before, and just don't need it for this.  Want to be able to add and move cameras myself if needed, because of the custom nature of the biz production methods.

Outside install is purely to be able to see when trucks are arriving.  It's far more of a systems and efficiency monitoring issue than security.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Ask your installer about an Axis 211MW network camera... if you need the mobility like you are saying.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Re: Closed-circuit system recommendations

Post by HuskerDave »

Big E wrote:Looking for a do-it-yourself perimeter security camera system.  Anyone have any recommendations on a setup that meets the following criteria:

Closed circuit

Low light capable

Both outdoor and indoor

Cameras optionally activated by motion

Web browser viewing & interface (remote viewing not necessary - although a nice plus if not too expensive)

Expandable number of cameras

Hard drive based storage

Mac-compatible a plus
I actually bought a boxed system from Tiger Direct about 2 years ago.  four cameras with night vision and motion detection, 250 GB hard drive, remote-capable through a USB hookup.  I think the whole thing was about $400.  It works great.  I'd start my search there.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

A do it yourself kit is pretty limiting.  You will need a power supply at each camera and from what I have seen the cables are pre-wired to be a maximum of 60'.  Something like this can be setup on a network to be viewable from the web (on a PC, not a MAC).  These are not high quality cameras as they are analog.  These can be had for around $400-500 for a 4 camera system. Check newegg.com for great prices.  If you are looking to identify movement, these will work, but if you want to actually identify people or license plates you will want a digital system.  

A professional digital system will have fewer limitations.  You can run as much or as little cable as you want.  Higher quality cameras can mean that you can get by with less cameras.  If you have a system put in by a professional and end up needing to add additional cameras, someone with some basic knowledge would be able to add additional cameras.  

If you are interested in more details on a professional install, let me know more details on what you are looking for and I will get you a quote.

My favorite setup is the new VideoIQ cameras (completely over the top for what it sounds like you are looking for, but awesome nonetheless).  This is a 1080P HD camera that is a fixed focal length, but since the video is such high quality, it can be used as a pan tilt zoom.  The best part is that an operator is not necessary.  You set the camera up for what you want it to track and it will automatically zoom and track people and/or vehicles on the monitor (while still recording the full image).  Here is an example on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWkUNr5mig  These cameras are just under $2000 but nearly replace the need for an operator.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:viewable from the web (on a PC, not a MAC)
How do you figure?
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

almighty_tuna wrote:
FrontlineOmaha wrote:viewable from the web (on a PC, not a MAC)
How do you figure?
I tried it on a "do it yourself system" we have setup.  Its viewable via the web, but it requires a program to be installed when you hit the link.  It did not work on a guys macbook pro here in the office.