Neighborhood Market by Walmart

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Post by Guest »

"when they use a reloadable Walmart gift card, Walmart MoneyCard or a Walmart credit card."

Of course it's a tactic, these "cards" have associated fees and percentages with them, as well as having many, many customers who never cash-out the entire dollar amount on the cards. That is why gift cards and money cards are so lucrative to these retailers.

Still, doesn't make them evil.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Hmmmm ... Am I missing something or is Nebraska not covered on this?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anonymous wrote:"when they use a reloadable Walmart gift card, Walmart MoneyCard or a Walmart credit card."

Of course it's a tactic, these "cards" have associated fees and percentages with them, as well as having many, many customers who never cash-out the entire dollar amount on the cards. That is why gift cards and money cards are so lucrative to these retailers.

There are no up front fees on a Walmart gift card or a fee to use them.  Have bought many of them as thank you gifts for work.  If a customer choose to nit cash them out that is another story all it's own.  Now if you are buy a prepaid visa or that type of card there are fees but that is not the Walmart gift card you make mention of.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebugeater wrote:
Anonymous wrote:"when they use a reloadable Walmart gift card, Walmart MoneyCard or a Walmart credit card."

There are no up front fees on a Walmart gift card or a fee to use them.  Have bought many of them as thank you gifts for work.  If a customer choose to nit cash them out that is another story all it's own.  Now if you are buy a prepaid visa or that type of card there are fees but that is not the Walmart gift card you make mention of.
There are user fees for the Wal-Mart Money Card. Additionally, gift cards are notorious for expiration's and/or not have the entire monetary value of the card exchanged for that value in goods. (keep in mind, I am not saying gift cards are the same as money cards, they are very different)

Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

iamjacobm wrote:Don't kid yourself this isn't Wal-Mart doing anything noble for their customers.  This is the same tactics Wal-Mart used to become so powerful.  Take a loss on the gas to get people in the store to shop.  Not an indication of their caring nature, just business.
Frankly, I think it's both.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

S33 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

There are user fees for the Wal-Mart Money Card. Additionally, gift cards are notorious for expiration's and/or not have the entire monetary value of the card exchanged for that value in goods. (keep in mind, I am not saying gift cards are the same as money cards, they are very different)

Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to 3 years ago:

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_ ... 03889.html
joeglow
Planning Board

Re: Walmart Market

Post by joeglow »

2Adam29 wrote: throw me just about any problem people have with Target's corporate responsibility and I'll explain how it is probably misunderstood.
And, I bet someone from Walmart could do the same.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

joeglow wrote:
S33 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to 3 years ago:

http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/core_ ... 03889.html
Again, Wal-Mart Money Cards are different than gift cards, they charge a [FEE] for every deposit - Welcome to ten years ago. Perhaps gift cards do not expire within 5 years any longer, but many people still don't use them completely.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Cards which you have to go inside the store to buy.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was talking to a developer a couple weeks ago.  He was talked about 3 locations.  

96th and Giles - LaVista
90th and Maple - Omaha
50th and L - Omaha

96 is a vacant lot, 90th and maple has plenty of vacancy, 50th buffalo wild wings recently closed plus plenty of empty car dealerships.

Post by Guest »

One more in Omaha and one more in Papio as well.

Post by Guest »

I was told there will be 8 of them in total.  All with a footprint of 30-40,000 SF.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

I hope they don't put one in 90th and Maple. They already have 2 dollar stores and a plasma center. Adding the walmart will lock in this spot for poor and desperate people. If I was a developer I would demolish that entire area and rebuilt it as another village style development. It's close to the keystone trail, which makes it a great spot for urban living. This whole area has SO much potential!

Instead of getting mad at Walmart, we should be upset with the developers in town. We should demand higher standards from them. Let the people voice how they feel about certain businesses. We should be able to vote if big chains come in or not. Personally, I wish the city would put a ban on Walgreens and CVS pharmacies. We already have too many and we don't need more pharmacies.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Dusty wrote:I hope they don't put one in 90th and Maple. They already have 2 dollar stores and a plasma center. Adding the walmart will lock in this spot for poor and desperate people. If I was a developer I would demolish that entire area and rebuilt it as another village style development. It's close to the keystone trail, which makes it a great spot for urban living. This whole area has SO much potential!

Instead of getting mad at Walmart, we should be upset with the developers in town. We should demand higher standards from them. Let the people voice how they feel about certain businesses. We should be able to vote if big chains come in or not. Personally, I wish the city would put a ban on Walgreens and CVS pharmacies. We already have too many and we don't need more pharmacies.
Not one of those ideas makes sense.

Post by Guest »

Dusty wrote:I hope they don't put one in 90th and Maple. They already have 2 dollar stores and a plasma center. Adding the walmart will lock in this spot for poor and desperate people. If I was a developer I would demolish that entire area and rebuilt it as another village style development. It's close to the keystone trail, which makes it a great spot for urban living. This whole area has SO much potential!

If there are too many of them, won't they go out of business for lack of profitability?  Bear in mind, it is entirely possible that in a free economy the big box model wouldn't work nearly as well as it does now (for a variety of reasons) but the notion that 51% of the population gets to vote to bar businesses from entering a market is pretty frightening.  Why not permit them to vote on which religions we will allow while we're at it, or what types of shows are on TV?
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Anonymous wrote:

If there are too many of them, won't they go out of business for lack of profitability?  Bear in mind, it is entirely possible that in a free economy the big box model wouldn't work nearly as well as it does now (for a variety of reasons) but the notion that 51% of the population gets to vote to bar businesses from entering a market is pretty frightening.  Why not permit them to vote on which religions we will allow while we're at it, or what types of shows are on TV?
Bah!! That was me, I failed to log in.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Ha Ha! I didn't mean "to ban them" as to be taken literally. I was being sarcastic as a way to show annoyance towards big box chains. Although, communities have tried to ban shops....like Dr. Johns. I suppose anything is possible.
Last edited by Dusty on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Anonymous wrote:
the notion that 51% of the population gets to vote to bar businesses from entering a market is pretty frightening.  Why not permit them to vote on which religions we will allow while we're at it, or what types of shows are on TV?
Sheesh! Talk about blowing something to the extremes. This vote concept has happened before....and it relates to walmart. A few years ago, the people of Papillion tried to stop walmart from building their supercenter. In the end, walmart got their way.

And it's not really about barring businesses, but making sure big box chains don't monopolize the market and squeeze out the local shops.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Walmart Market

Post by Omababe »

Bosco55David wrote:
Omababe wrote:You'll find that many times Wally World is not the lowest, and that most of the time other shops will be competitively priced and offer you a nicer shopping experience while being more socially responsible.
Exactly. I've all but abandoned Wal-Mart to do most of my shopping at Target and found not only that the products are generally comparable in price but that Target's is usually of a much higher quality.
A link posted on another board in Yet Another Wally-World Bashing thread confirms that Target' is indeed quite often lower ...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/07/news/co ... /index.htm
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:I was talking to a developer a couple weeks ago.  He was talked about 3 locations.  

96th and Giles - LaVista
90th and Maple - Omaha
50th and L - Omaha

96 is a vacant lot, 90th and maple has plenty of vacancy, 50th buffalo wild wings recently closed plus plenty of empty car dealerships.
I am hearing rumblings of a fourth location potentially being along the Harrison street Corridor

Post by Guest »

Noticed surveying stakes all over the land east of Caseys at 96th and Giles Rd, not sure if its for a Wal-Mart Market, but appears as though something large may be in the works.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Dusty wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
the notion that 51% of the population gets to vote to bar businesses from entering a market is pretty frightening.  Why not permit them to vote on which religions we will allow while we're at it, or what types of shows are on TV?
Sheesh! Talk about blowing something to the extremes. This vote concept has happened before....and it relates to walmart. A few years ago, the people of Papillion tried to stop walmart from building their supercenter. In the end, walmart got their way.

And it's not really about barring businesses, but making sure big box chains don't monopolize the market and squeeze out the local shops.
That's easy.  If so many people would support the vote up front, they will continue to support the local shops no matter what.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not a Wal Mart guy but I think them entering the market  with 4 or 5 of these stores is good.  It will force Baker's and Hy Vee to stay sharp.  Also between them and CVS we some of this extra space to come off the market.   Retails been rough the last few years in real estate.

Greg
mgsports
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgsports »

They are good and you just need a Grocery Store in Old Market even if it's Alidi.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Although you may not like the name its hard to argue against these on the same grounds as the typical 'big-box'.  They are looking at sites that need help and are not doing the massive expansions that their super centers usually require, but rather fitting on the existing sites.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Walmart plans more grocery stores

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110922/M ... ery-stores
Bellevue and southwest Omaha are the latest poised to get a new type of Walmart grocery store.

The retail giant confirmed this week that it will build a Walmart Neighborhood Market in the Tregaron Town Center and at 168th and Harrison Streets.

Spokesman Ryan Irsik said in an email that the company is early in the approval process and does not have a construction timeline for either store.
"More information will be available in a few months," Irsik said.

At least two other Neighborhood Market stores also are planned for the metropolitan area. Irsik said those Neighborhood Markets would be at 84th Street and Highway 370 in Papillion and at 90th and Lake Streets in Omaha.
"We continue to evaluate new areas to better serve our customers in Omaha," Irsik said.
Minnesota-based design consultant Kimley-Horn and Associates recently submitted a site plan and a request to redraw lots for the store with the Bellevue Planning Department.

Because the Bellevue site already is zoned as a commercial district, Planning Director Chris Shewchuk said the proposal will not have to go before the Planning Commission or City Council for review.

The store is planned to occupy 41,180 square feet, according to the site plan. The store will include a 157-space parking lot, as well as a small wetlands buffer between the store and nearby Whitted Creek.

Omaha Assistant Planning Director Chad Weaver said Wednesday that a proposal for the store on the northeast corner of 168th and Harrison Streets is to be reviewed at the Omaha Planning Board's October meeting.

That Walmart Neighborhood Market, Irsik said, will be about 41,000 square feet.

The Omaha Planning Board has approved a plan for the 90th and Lake Streets store. The City Council has yet to review it.

The Neighborhood Market stores carry similar items to a grocery store: produce, meat and dairy items, frozen foods, dry goods, health and beauty aids, deli foods, bakery items, canned and packaged goods, pet supplies, stationery, condiments, household supplies and other products.

The Bellevue store, as is the case with the other Walmart Neighborhood Markets, will feature a drive-through pharmacy, according to the site plan. Irsik said the markets also offer a one-hour photo center.
Neighborhood Market stores typically carry about 29,000 items, according to Walmart's media relations website. The stores, which are generally open 24/7, employ an average of about 95 people each.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Grow Omaha, going to build one in the former Border's on 132 and Maple
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:According to Grow Omaha, going to build one in the former Border's on 132 and Maple
 What they werent sure of, surprisingly, is that that building is definitely a goner.  Total rebuild.
JC

132nd & Maple

Post by JC »

Brad wrote:According to Grow Omaha, going to build one in the former Border's on 132 and Maple
In July, there was a post on these boards that mentioned Grow Omaha saying that the same building on Maple was going to be a Trader Joe's.  I'll take Joe's any day!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Neighborhood Market (90th & Lake)

Walmart OK'd despite protests

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111101/N ... e-protests
Juan Perez Jr. WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The store would be about one-sixth the size of the Walmart Supercenter at 168th Street and West Maple Road and is part of the retail giant's expansion into medium-format stores in order to reach urban markets and small towns.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Walmart plans Neighborhood Market for former Borders site

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111103/M ... rders-site
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Walmart is making plans for a fifth neighborhood market in the Omaha metro area, the latest being proposed for the former Borders bookstore property southeast of 132nd Street and West Maple Road.

The grocery would be a smaller-scale store for Walmart — roughly one-fifth the size of a full supercenter. The neighborhood markets are typically 42,000-square-foot buildings that offer fresh produce, deli, bakery, meat and dairy products, frozen foods, dry goods and health and beauty items.
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Walmart plans to tear down the former Borders and build a new building, according to plans presented to the Omaha Planning Board.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

that will make an interesting corner with Bakers - Super Target and now NeighborMarket by Walmart
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Walmart says Papillion site out

By Cindy Gonzalez and Leia Mendoza
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111209/N ... n-site-out
But Walmart officials told The World-Herald this week that they have decided not to pursue the Papillion site near 84th Street and Nebraska Highway 370. Area business owners have criticized the proposed market site as the anchor of a new commercial development, Midlands Place.
"We believe this project will not fit our Every Day Low Price business model," said Ryan Irsik, a spokesman for Walmart.
Yet, not too far away, Walmart has a La Vista site at 96th Street and Giles Road on its radar, Irsik also confirmed this week. Mark Stursma, Papillion's planning director, said he was informed that the retail giant backed out of the 84th Street deal after re-evaluating all of its potential market sites in the area.
In Omaha, the Planning Board on Wednesday endorsed land use plans for two Walmart markets — one at 50th and L Streets and another at 168th and Harrison Streets. The City Council still has to approve the projects.
The other Omaha-area spots that Walmart already has targeted are at 90th and Lake Streets; 132nd Street and West Maple Road; and in the Tregaron Town Center at 25th Street and Capehart Road in Bellevue. Construction has yet to begin on any.
Kramer, who said he has patronized Walmart neighborhood markets on out-of-town travels, is hoping to see the seventh Omaha area site in Carter Lake.
He said the 3,800 people in his town live in a roughly one-mile- square radius and haven't had a full-service grocery store for more than a decade. Kramer's constituents and their neighbors in downtown Omaha could surely provide enough business for the Walmart market, he said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha World Herald wrote: A new Walmart?
Where would a new Walmart be most beneficial?

» North Omaha = 18%
» West Omaha = 5%
» Downtown or Midtown = 17%
» Sarpy County = 6%
» Nowhere =53%

Total Votes: 904
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:
Omaha World Herald wrote: A new Walmart?
Where would a new Walmart be most beneficial?

» North Omaha = 18%
» West Omaha = 5%
» Downtown or Midtown = 17%
» Sarpy County = 6%
» Nowhere =53%

Total Votes: 904
I agree with the majority here! :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Walmart market store gains OK
John Ferak of Omaha World-Herald wrote:The La Vista City Council has given the green light for a Walmart neighborhood store near La Vista’s Southwind subdivision. The council last week approved a replat for property on the northeast corner of 96th Street and Giles Road.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Walmart to fill 180 positions in Omaha
Janice Podsada, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Walmart has opened a temporary hiring center in Omaha to fill 180 open positions at two of its new Walmart Neighborhood Markets. The new stores, which are located at 2109 Towne Center Drive in Bellevue and 13105 Birch Drive in Omaha, the site of a former Borders bookstore, are scheduled to open this spring.

PLANNED Walmart Neighborhood Markets

»13105 Birch Drive

»90th and Lake Streets

»168th and Harrison Streets

»96th Street and Giles Road in La Vista

»50th and L Streets

»2109 Towne Centre Drive in Bellevue
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

I'm interested in trying out this smaller concept even though I don't often go to regular Wal-Mart stores.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The Bellevue and 132nd & Maple stores are set to open on March 1st.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

50th and L structure is going up.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum