Neighborhood Market by Walmart

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Neighborhood Market by Walmart

Post by cdub »

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you!  

Walmart is looking at a few of these around town and also in Bellevue, LaVista and Papio.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

PUKING
PUKING EVERYWHERE

kill me now
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Maybe they could build one on the old UP site and then use the old OWH site across the street as a parking lot?

:D
HuskerDave
Library Board

Re: Walmart Market

Post by HuskerDave »

cdub wrote:Image

Walmart is looking at a few of these around town and also in Bellevue, LaVista and Papio.
Those are Wal-mart's stand-alone grocery stores.  Wal-mart is already the largest grocery in the nation.  Other parts of the country have had these for a few years.

.. I'm not sure what people think is so "pukey" about Wal-mart.  Personally, I like the idea of spending less money for the things I buy.

Post by Guest »

I hate Walmart because they have 40 checkout lanes with maybe eight of them open. Maybe a couple regular lanes and the self check outs. Always...... A line 10 deep. Any time I step in the place I regret it. I"ll go to Target where they call for extra checkers when there's 3 people in line. The prices really aren't that different and I think Target has higher quality products as well. F Walmart.
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Because Wal-Mart is the absolute epitome of much of what is wrong with Amerika, and faceless corporations that care absolutely nothing about the quality of the product, the health of their employers, the health of their customers, and the planet.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Guest2 wrote:Because Wal-Mart is the absolute epitome of much of what is wrong with Amerika, and faceless corporations that care absolutely nothing about the quality of the product, the health of their employers, the health of their customers, and the planet.
Well I believe you're 180 degrees our of synch on that, anonymous guest #2.  Let me guess that you also think unions are super great, and anyone who believes in profit is a money grubbing capitalist pig.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A blatant liberal here - the reason WalMart is disliked by many people is - they intentionally build outside of small town limits to avoid paying city taxes and then subsequently shut down mom and pop downtown stores due to their economic advantage. Just look at will happen to downtown Blair if they build a WalMart outside city jurisdiction.  Yes - people will love the .35 cent savings, but when their pharmacist does not know your name or history, when the people at the hardware store has no intention on your interests... WalMart is capitalism at its best and worst. I refuse to give my hard earned money to billionaires from Arkansas than local people in my hood.
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

HuskerDave wrote:
Guest2 wrote:Because Wal-Mart is the absolute epitome of much of what is wrong with Amerika, and faceless corporations that care absolutely nothing about the quality of the product, the health of their employers, the health of their customers, and the planet.
Well I believe you're 180 degrees our of synch on that, anonymous guest #2.  Let me guess that you also think unions are super great, and anyone who believes in profit is a money grubbing capitalist pig.
"HuskerDave"

What a stereotype you are portraying yourself as by that name. Your posts prove it, too. Don't worry, sooner or later, Amerika will get what is coming to it. Please, don't leave your country, or, even go to some of the nicer places in your country. People don't like ignorance in most of the world.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Boring.

People who hate Walmart will never understand how people can like walmart. And walmart people will never understand that their love is evil.

So can we just not.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I love Walmart.  Buy everything there.  No Joke.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Guest2 wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:
"HuskerDave"

What a stereotype you are portraying yourself as by that name. Your posts prove it, too. Don't worry, sooner or later, Amerika will get what is coming to it. Please, don't leave your country, or, even go to some of the nicer places in your country. People don't like ignorance in most of the world.
Comrade Guest #2...

I've likely travelled far more than you.  If the stereotype is that of a capitalism-loving American - count me in.  

.. and "Amerika will get what's coming to it" sounds like a threat.  you threatening my country, a$$hat?

Post by Guest »

wal-mart is the devil and I won't give them any money. I'd rather pay a bit more for something knowing that the owner lives in my town and pays taxes there. who is mr. mart? where does he live?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

They've had these in Las Vegas for several years now.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:wal-mart is the devil and I won't give them any money. I'd rather pay a bit more for something knowing that the owner lives in my town and pays taxes there. who is mr. mart? where does he live?
Agreed.   I'm probably as right-wing and conservative as HuskerDave, but I see Wal-Mart for what it is - a $%#& corporation that pushes jobs overseas in order to sell products at a lower per-unit price.   And then everyone cries when they've lost their 25 dollar an hour job and have to take an 8 dollar an hour Wal-Mart job.

Dave, we probably wouldn't have to complain about ObamaCare and the Chinese lending us money to increase our federal debt if it wasn't for companies like Wal-Mart pushing domestic production overseas.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Guest2 wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:
"HuskerDave"

Why, oh why do you have so say something so epically stupid?!  HuskerDave backs himself into a corner laughably defending a crony capitalist monolith and you respond with something so breathtakingly insipid.  Amerika will get what's coming to it?  What, a chorus of international support, piles of aid money, unreciprocated protection, an avalanche of technological progress at a price that people can afford and use?  What will Amerika get?  Or do you have something more nefarious in mind from an enlightened hegemon from across the pond?  Self defeating idiocy like this as infuriating as it is counter-productive.  "People don't like ignorance in most of the world"  I wonder where in the world you got that most preposterous idea?  I'd love to hear where ignorance is so shunned.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

HuskerDave wrote:.. I'm not sure what people think is so "pukey" about Wal-mart.  Personally, I like the idea of spending less money for the things I buy.
Have you ever actually been in one? I don't think I've ever stepped foot in a Walmart and not felt like getting a tetanus shot immediately after.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

I guess they're welcome to build whatever they want.

I probably won't shop WalMart Market any more than I shop any other WalMart - which is not often.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Bosco55David wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:.. I'm not sure what people think is so "pukey" about Wal-mart.  Personally, I like the idea of spending less money for the things I buy.
Have you ever actually been in one? I don't think I've ever stepped foot in a Walmart and not felt like getting a tetanus shot immediately after.
There are a few select things I'll buy at WalMart - one of them (one of the VERY few) being car batteries.  One of my sons had the battery die in his pickup, while living in Nashville, and even though it was past its free replacement warranty time, WalMart replaced it for free.  Given that, and the fact that there are WalMarts everywhere, I'm inclined to head that direction.

But other than that, mehhh...  Not much about WallyWorld appeals to me.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

DeWalt wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
There are a few select things I'll buy at WalMart - one of them (one of the VERY few) being car batteries.  One of my sons had the battery die in his pickup, while living in Nashville, and even though it was past its free replacement warranty time, WalMart replaced it for free.  Given that, and the fact that there are WalMarts everywhere, I'm inclined to head that direction.

You have better luck than me. I made the mistake of buying a battery at Walmart once and when it failed 3 weeks later I nearly committed homicide will trying to replace it.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Bosco55David wrote:
Oh Yes.  Shop there regularly.  And before you even begin, yes I have all my teeth, wear only men's clothing, and keep my pants above my underwear.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Bosco55David wrote:
DeWalt wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

You have better luck than me. I made the mistake of buying a battery at Walmart once and when it failed 3 weeks later I nearly committed homicide will trying to replace it.
You must not be as charming as I am.   :lol:
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but it has nothing to do with Wal-Mart itself.  Shopping there simply brings out the worst in my lack of self-control and impulse shopping habits.  For the record, I avoid Target for the exact same reason.

That being said, I hope a couple of these Wal-Mart markets locate in some of the less affluent areas of town who are underserved by real grocery stores and overserved by gas station and quick-prep food.  It is important for people to have access to fruit, vegetables and non-processed food.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Melissa wrote:I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but it has nothing to do with Wal-Mart itself.  Shopping there simply brings out the worst in my lack of self-control and impulse shopping habits.  For the record, I avoid Target for the exact same reason.

That being said, I hope a couple of these Wal-Mart markets locate in some of the less affluent areas of town who are underserved by real grocery stores and overserved by gas station and quick-prep food.  It is important for people to have access to fruit, vegetables and non-processed food.
I think that grocers and other businesses will always locate where they believe the benefit of paying customers outweighs the risk of armed robbery.  There have historically been a few areas in town where that cost-benefit analysis hasn't been positive.  Unfortunately, that does leave areas of town underserved, due to the bad acts of a few hoodlums.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

HuskerDave wrote:.. I'm not sure what people think is so "pukey" about Wal-mart.
Actually, the Wally World shops here in Omaha tend to be nicer and usually have shorter lines than the Wally Worlds on the Left Coast.

If you ever need a refresher course on the degree of "class" which Wally World exudes, look here: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ :)
I like the idea of spending less money for the things I buy.
All of us do!

You'll find that many times Wally World is not the lowest, and that most of the time other shops will be competitively priced and offer you a nicer shopping experience while being more socially responsible.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

A good point, OmaBabe...

I do think it's worth mentioning that corporate "social responsibility" is a highly subjective matter.

I personally think that being profitable to one's shareholders is the most socially-responsible thing a business can do.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Melissa wrote:I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but it has nothing to do with Wal-Mart itself.  Shopping there simply brings out the worst in my lack of self-control and impulse shopping habits.  For the record, I avoid Target for the exact same reason.

That's a good point.  I really like the fact that ALDIs opened a new grocery store on 30th & Sorensen Parkway.  Not only does it improve the neighborhood, it provides a valuable service and product to a low-income area.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

HuskerDave wrote:I think that grocers and otherbusinesses will always locate where they believe the benefit of paying customers outweighs the risk of armed robbery.  There have historically been a few areas in town where that cost-benefit analysis hasn't been positive.  Unfortunately, that does leave areas of town underserved, due to the bad acts of a few hoodlums.
You're right.

But here's what I find interesting about this.  On 30th & Martin Ave (in Florence), there is a BP Gas Station right across the street from Walgreens.  They are ALWAYS having robberies and shootings (mostly shootings) at the BP, but they NEVER have any at the Walgreens.

It's not just location.  Part of it is clientèle, and part of it is what you're actually "selling" at your "gas station."

Post by Guest »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I love Walmart.  Buy everything there.  No Joke.
I thought you shopped at Food N' Stuff. It's where I buy all of my food and most of my stuff.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Yeah that was my post, this whole Guest can post on the rumors really screws me up. Especially when there are multiple guests.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Omababe wrote:You'll find that many times Wally World is not the lowest, and that most of the time other shops will be competitively priced and offer you a nicer shopping experience while being more socially responsible.
Exactly. I've all but abandoned Wal-Mart to do most of my shopping at Target and found not only that the products are generally comparable in price but that Target's is usually of a much higher quality.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Bosco55David wrote:
Omababe wrote:You'll find that many times Wally World is not the lowest, and that most of the time other shops will be competitively priced and offer you a nicer shopping experience while being more socially responsible.
Exactly. I've all but abandoned Wal-Mart to do most of my shopping at Target and found not only that the products are generally comparable in price but that Target's is usually of a much higher quality.
Target is not as socially responsible as people think.  They just settled a $20+ Million lawsuit for failing to follow EPA regulations.  And that was in CA., with other suits pending in other states.
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

bbinks wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
Target is not as socially responsible as people think.  They just settled a $20+ Million lawsuit for failing to follow EPA regulations.  And that was in CA., with other suits pending in other states.
Looking into that case, it appears that Target may have disposed of old and broken merchandise incorrectly, as a former employee of Target, I can tell you that for at least the past two years, Target has disposed its defective merchandise in a very responsible fashion. Every night a team member takes defectives to the stockroom and sorts any items that cannot be simply thrown out. Items that are specially labeled are picked up weekly by a third-party disposal company.

throw me just about any problem people have with Target's corporate responsibility and I'll explain how it is probably misunderstood.
S33_

Post by S33_ »

|expletive| guest posting |expletive| again...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bbinks wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

Overall I think they do great.  I like their support of schools.  I also recycle glass at their stores (my trash hauler does not take glass for recycling).  Also some stores are not  giving the 5 cent discount for bringing your own bags.  Target still is.

Greg
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

HuskerDave wrote: Guest should get an account.

This is a well-reasoned argument, and he's exactly right.
Ah, it was actually me. I have a bad habit of posting without logging in - interesting that we actually agree on something.  :;):
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

2Adam29 wrote:
bbinks wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
Looking into that case, it appears that Target may have disposed of old and broken merchandise incorrectly, as a former employee of Target, I can tell you that for at least the past two years, Target has disposed its defective merchandise in a very responsible fashion. Every night a team member takes defectives to the stockroom and sorts any items that cannot be simply thrown out. Items that are specially labeled are picked up weekly by a third-party disposal company.

throw me just about any problem people have with Target's corporate responsibility and I'll explain how it is probably misunderstood.
It was not defective merchandise.  It was throwing things like damaged bottles of detergent and other environmentally sensitive things ( aerosol cans, fertilizer)  into the regular trash.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

New today from "evil" Wal-mart, which "hates the poor"...

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is cutting gas prices by 10 cents a gallon for three months to help consumers worried about their spending amid a sputtering economy and busy summer travel season.

“Our customers have told us that high gas prices are a top budget concern, nearly as large an expense to their households as food and groceries,” Chief Marketing Officer Stephen Quinn said in a statement.

Wal-Mart is well aware that rising gas prices and other household costs are squeezing shoppers’ budgets, reporting at its annual shareholders meeting earlier this month that shoppers appear to be focusing on groceries and little else.

To help ease consumers’ worries, the world’s biggest retailer announced Wednesday that customers visiting participating Murphy USA and Walmart gas stations in 18 states through Sept. 30 will receive a discount on all fuel, gas and diesel purchases when they use a reloadable Walmart gift card, Walmart MoneyCard or a Walmart credit card.

Gas prices neared $4 a gallon in late April and early May, but have since fallen to a national average of $3.57 per gallon. Still, the government reported on Monday that Americans spent at the weakest pace in 20 months in May, a sign gas prices may be hurting the economic recovery.

http://www.walmartstores.com/gasrollback
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Don't kid yourself this isn't Wal-Mart doing anything noble for their customers.  This is the same tactics Wal-Mart used to become so powerful.  Take a loss on the gas to get people in the store to shop.  Not an indication of their caring nature, just business.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

HuskerDave wrote:New today from "evil" Wal-mart, which "hates the poor"...

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is cutting gas prices by 10 cents a gallon for three months
Assuming I fill up my 12gal tank once a week, this move would save me $4.60/mo.  Maybe I'm too cynical, but it seems akin to the gimmicks at Tobacco & Phones 4 Less where you can save a whole $.02/gal ($.24/tank)by going inside to pay cash where you can spend your "savings" on a myriad of impulse purchases.