KFAB House cleaning

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

KFAB House cleaning

Post by joeglow »

Looks like Clear Channel is quickly looking to kill local radio and has fired people around the country.  I saw where Tom Becka posted on his Facebook page that he was let go.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

I really enjoyed Becka's program and will miss it.  He is way better than his replacement, Scott Voorhees.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

bigredmed wrote:At least, I will always have my Ham radio to listen to.  Save 75 meters, there are some interesting things being talked about there.
Hah! It depends on what you call "interesting"!! You gotta tell me where I can find a group not talking about their ailing health. Granted I generally sit on 20 or 40M when the Yaesu is working.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omaproud wrote:I really enjoyed Becka's program and will miss it.  He is way better than his replacement, Scott Voorhees.
I flipped over real quick this afternoon during a commercial in the sports radio.  They said Crash Davis was filling in today.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Holy |expletive| so that wasnt just a fill in?  Becka is gone?  Wow.  He was a tool bag but at least provocative enough to listen to.  I wonder if it was a ratings move or they just refuse to pay anyone.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cdub wrote:Holy |expletive| so that wasnt just a fill in?  Becka is gone?  Wow.  He was a tool bag but at least provocative enough to listen to.  I wonder if it was a ratings move or they just refuse to pay anyone.
Apparently, he was good enough to make the cover of the trade rag, alongside a bunch of national people.  I am guessing it is Clear Channel refusing to pay people"

Phttp://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308531_287441334610088_264690460218509_1067667_1442762481_n.jpg
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'd be perfectly content with them shutting KFAB down entirely.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:I'd be perfectly content with them shutting KFAB down entirely.
Why?  They are the only radio station in Omaha committed to local programming.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I would guess Jeff didn't care for Rush, Beck, and Savage.  As far as local programing, I like some of the local stuff like Grow Omaha, John Fesch and others.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Stargazer wrote:I'd be perfectly content with them shutting KFAB down entirely.
Just as long as we have a fall-back for the games! :)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

1.  KFAB can't be shut down, its a FCC-clear channel JR station.  

The term "clear channel" came from the FCC's desire to have a series of big AM radio stations that could be heard all over the US.  When they got these all set up, they quickly recognized that they didn't work out so well in terms of coverage.  Thus they went to a second tier of stations that were not given a clear frequency as the only US station allowed on that freq, but they were given a 2 or 3 station only freq.

KFAB is in this second group (thus the "jr").   During the day, it sends 50,000 watts out in all directions.  But at night, this interferes with another designated station in NC.  So, at night, it switches to a north-south phased array antenna  that puts all that into the eastern dakotas, Nebraska, western Iowa, MN, Kansas, and Oklahoma.  

2.  In the last month, Clear Channel, inc.  waxed almost all of their local talent and programmers in a "3 days of the condor" move to cut costs and court national advertisers by having one program that will be fed to millions of listeners.   Local radio is toast in most cities.   But if you are realistic, the radio stations played boring songs, had the same boring DJ's, and seemingly endless commercials.   With MP3 players and Sirius XM as easy and clearly apparent alternatives, radio could have tried to fight back, but instead, radio killed itself.

3.  There are interesting things to listen to on 20 meters (the SATERN net every morning, and the Marine mobile safety net come to mind, as does the traffic handling nets on 20 and 40 meters and the county hunters net.)   I grant you that the organ recitals get old fast.   I know that we teach new hams about the reason for the censorship regs of the FCC, that foul language may ruin someone's only chance to make a contact or do something with their grand kids, maybe we should add in censorship of your personal health complaints as a valid indication?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Last Saturday nite I picked up KFAB in metro Detroit.  It was about 9PM and it only lasted about 10 minutes.  Still impressive about 750 miles away.  

I also sometimes pick up WBBM out of Chicago at nite.  Not as impressive but I do enjoy hearing the traffic reports.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Local radio, am and fm, are toast across the board. You will find national syndicates continue working deals with Sirus and XM, and I think you will also find a mobile ITunes platform at some point, which will include much of the same type of content as satellite radio, as well as content you already purchased and downloaded.

I would venture to guess that the only local personalities with any chance in heck in the coming years might be TNT. But they haven't even really had much growth in their syndication - and there are only so many dick jokes one duo can come up with.

It's only a matter of time.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

bigredmed wrote:maybe we should add in censorship of your personal health complaints as a valid indication?
But then the bands would be dead! ;) j/k ... I've got a lot of family who are hams as well and the majority of us are under 35, so hopefully things keep moving on. It's a good time, and the look on my oldest's face when I tuned in the space station was priceless. Lots of good in the hobby.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Any word if another local station might pick up Becka's program?  I enjoyed it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am guessing that one of the first places you will hear about where he lands next is by following his Facebook page.  He has been fairly active their since the parting of ways.
omaproud wrote:Any word if another local station might pick up Becka's program?  I enjoyed it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was hoping with Becka off they air they would start airing the first hour of the Sports Nightly that they join at 7.

Greg
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

Tom ended up on a talk station in Fargo.  He's started on Monday.

Poor |expletive|.

http://www.1019talkfm.com/
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

theurge wrote:Tom ended up on a talk station in Fargo.  He's started on Monday.

Poor |expletive|.

That sounds like a cliche bad joke or something, like being banished to siberia.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Poor |expletive|.

Sounds like he has an offer to do the 4-6 drive time slot on 1290 just recently.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow wrote:

Poor |expletive|.

Sounds like he has an offer to do the 4-6 drive time slot on 1290 just recently.
And from what he posted on Facebook it sounds like he would do this in addition to his Fargo gig doing it from his new location in Fargo.  He was asking for fan input.
LookingGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LookingGlass »

I stopped listening to KFAB when Tom got dropped.  As far as local radio goes, KTIC 840, KWMT 540, and KMA 960 are the "local" stations I listen to these days.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I believe Tom Becka starts the 4-6 drive time slot on 1290 on Monday, Apr 30.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nebugeater wrote:I believe Tom Becka starts the 4-6 drive time slot on 1290 on Monday, Apr 30.
And, KFAB must have canned his producer, because he announced that Kahm is going to be on 1290 with him.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

So I was driving downtown today and I saw a sign in Dundee near one of the radio stations that said Becka was back... is this the same station or a different one?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Axel wrote:So I was driving downtown today and I saw a sign in Dundee near one of the radio stations that said Becka was back... is this the same station or a different one?
He is on KKAR, which is a NRG station.  He was on KFAB, which was a Clear Channel Station.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Brad wrote:
Axel wrote:So I was driving downtown today and I saw a sign in Dundee near one of the radio stations that said Becka was back... is this the same station or a different one?
He is on KKAR, which is a NRG station.  He was on KFAB, which was a Clear Channel Station.
What is up with the change in call letters.  1290 is now KOIL.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow wrote:
Brad wrote:

Everything old is now again.  IF you are not old enough that is where KOIL used to be.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Brad wrote:

Everything old is now again.  IF you are not old enough that is where KOIL used to be.
And if you are as old as me, KOIL used to have the second strongest signal in Omaha and was a prominent station before FM took over.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Brad wrote:

And if you are as old as me, KOIL used to have the second strongest signal in Omaha and was a prominent station before FM took over.

But KOIL even goes back further (before my time) and if I understand correctly was orignally a call sig for a C.B. Station before they became the Mighty 1290 KOIL
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebugeater wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Brad wrote:

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bigredmed wrote:Everything old is now again.  IF you are not old enough that is where KOIL used to be.

Here's some history I don't know if others remember.

Shortly after I moved to Omaha, the station KOIL was actually ordered off the air for a few months due to rigged contests. It was actually dark/silent for that period.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omababe wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Everything old is now again.  IF you are not old enough that is where KOIL used to be.

Shortly after I moved to Omaha, the station KOIL was actually ordered off the air for a few months due to rigged contests. It was actually dark/silent for that period.
I remember that, back in the late 70s or so.  They didn't go quietly, running nonstop diatribes on the air for days, complaining about selective prosecution, etc.  It really was the end of their glory days.  They invented Top 40 radio.  No $hit.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:
Omababe wrote:

I remember that, back in the late 70s or so.  They didn't go quietly, running nonstop diatribes on the air for days, complaining about selective prosecution, etc.  It really was the end of their glory days.  They invented Top 40 radio.  No $hit.
Storz Broadcasting invented Top 40 radio programming back in the 50's.   Cant rememberb if they were on KOIL or on the now gone KOWH.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

KOWH was Storz and was daytime only.  KOIL came along and was fulltime, they stole the music, announcers, and listeners from KOWH.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Speaking of radio, I used to love listening to local radio stations when I traveled by car to out of town destinations.  This was the 1970s and 1980s.  Stations played similar music, with some notable exceptions in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago (WXRT), Annapolis (WHFS), and Boulder/Denver (WBCO), but the local DJs and local flavor to the stations made listening worthwhile.

Then the homogenization and ownership conglomeration of American radio took over.  It may have improved radio in some rural areas, but has ruined it for everyone else.  I recently completed a 1,300 mile journey through the Great Lakes region, including into Canada.  While Canadian radio is noticeable better, we relied on Sirius XM for almost all of our music and information throughout our 8 day trip.  It is sad that people have to pay for radio entertainment that doesn't rot your brain.

FYI even in the 1980s I would never even consider listening to AM radio.