News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

HyVee Closing (36th & L)

Post by Brad »

HyVee remodel (36th & L)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111101/M ... efficiency
Leia Mendoza WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:plans are being developed for the store near 36th and L Streets.
debradomayer
Library Board

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by debradomayer »

HyVee is taking one step back and closing the Stockyards location by the end of June. They cited the age of the building & declining sales. Didn't mention all of the police activity in the parking lot nearly every time I have to do a store call there! I once witnessed a suspect take down with multiple OPD, guns drawn. Wanted parties for a robbery in Lincoln, btw
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

debradomayer wrote:HyVee is taking one step back and closing the Stockyards location by the end of June. They cited the age of the building & declining sales. Didn't mention all of the police activity in the parking lot nearly every time I have to do a store call there! I once witnessed a suspect take down with multiple OPD, guns drawn. Wanted parties for a robbery in Lincoln, btw
Hy-Vee to close Omaha store

http://www.ketv.com/news/hyvee-to-close ... e/39647756
www.ketv.com wrote:"Unfortunately, resident support and our employees' hard work have not equated to a successful sales performance in recent years," said Brett Bremser, executive vice president of operations for Hy-Vee's western region.

Hy-Vee has a lease at the location that expires in August 2018.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: HyVee Closing (36th & L)

Post by iamjacobm »

That's too bad. They had a killer pepper selection. Will have to find another place for that now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

debradomayer wrote:HyVee is taking one step back and closing the Stockyards location by the end of June. They cited the age of the building & declining sales. Didn't mention all of the police activity in the parking lot nearly every time I have to do a store call there! I once witnessed a suspect take down with multiple OPD, guns drawn. Wanted parties for a robbery in Lincoln, btw
Did they ever remodel that store?

5 Years ago we had a thread (http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=HyVee) saying that the 36th and L store was getting ready for a remodel.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Did they ever remodel that store?

5 Years ago we had a thread (http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=HyVee) saying that the 36th and L store was getting ready for a remodel.

No, other than a few cosmetic things inside that do not really make it a remodel.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:That's too bad. They had a killer pepper selection. Will have to find another place for that now.
I'm thinking Supermercado would be your best bet, or else 24th Street.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was in there about a year ago and the place looked like a dump. I thought I might find some Mexican items, but Nuestra Familia beats them hands down.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I was driving by there today and it looked tough tough tough. I was thinking how big of a jerk I was for driving thru this area when I didnt even have to. I was thinking that if I got hit and runned I asked for it!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

A buddy of mine who used to work there for a decade said it's still one of the highest volume stores in Omaha; however, because of the increasingly lower income demographics of the area, they have to price everything slightly lower than any of the other Omaha locations. And, because of the high volume, there's a need for increased staff. Those labor costs can't be recouped. Also, the items typically purchased at that location skew more towards cheaper items and essentials....along with house brand offerings. They can't move the items that have become Hy-Vee's bread and butter like high dollar wines and craft beers, charcuterie, sushi, chinese, meats, all the other specialty deli items that have huge markups, and the natural food items that have big markups. Combine all of that with the deteriorating condition of the facility and it's an easy decision from a business standpoint.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omaha79 wrote:A buddy of mine who used to work there for a decade said it's still one of the highest volume stores in Omaha; however, because of the increasingly lower income demographics of the area, they have to price everything slightly lower than any of the other Omaha locations. And, because of the high volume, there's a need for increased staff. Those labor costs can't be recouped. Also, the items typically purchased at that location skew more towards cheaper items and essentials....along with house brand offerings. They can't move the items that have become Hy-Vee's bread and butter like high dollar wines and craft beers, charcuterie, sushi, chinese, meats, all the other specialty deli items that have huge markups, and the natural food items that have big markups. Combine all of that with the deteriorating condition of the facility and it's an easy decision from a business standpoint.

I will have to disagree with you on pricing things lower because of the area. I have worked near there for a number of years and gone there on occasion for a few items. My experience has been that for non ad items that are priced at ad price their prices are the same or HIGHER than the HyVee that I go to most of the time at 180th & Q.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I have a feeling this will be replaced by another grocery store...perhaps a national chain store. It would be great for Omaha to have a Cardenas market!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I dunno. But my personal reaction is I find it a bit disingenuous that one week ago we read about potential Hy-Vee growth plans for the Omaha area; then one week later, we read that Hy-Vee can't continue to make this store "work" at this location and that they're losing money AND the store doesn't fit their current store model blah blah blah.. Whatever..

It's a blow to South O that Hy-Vee couldn't invest more into this store location and make it "work". This just smacks of a lack of "want to" on the part of Hy-Vee..and that's unfortunate to me..and I am a Hy-Vee customer..

But again, it's just my $.02 cents..and business is business...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I dunno. But my personal reaction is I find it a bit disingenuous that one week ago we read about potential Hy-Vee growth plans for the Omaha area; then one week later, we read that Hy-Vee can't continue to make this store "work" at this location and that they're losing money AND the store doesn't fit their current store model blah blah blah.. Whatever..

It's a blow to South O that Hy-Vee couldn't invest more into this store location and make it "work". This just smacks of a lack of "want to" on the part of Hy-Vee..and that's unfortunate to me..and I am a Hy-Vee customer..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

There is no way Hy-Vee should be held at fault here. If anything Hy-Vee should receive a community service award for sticking it out at that location as long as they did. The shoplifting problem at this location has been horrendous for more then a decade.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I dunno. But my personal reaction is I find it a bit disingenuous that one week ago we read about potential Hy-Vee growth plans for the Omaha area; then one week later, we read that Hy-Vee can't continue to make this store "work" at this location and that they're losing money AND the store doesn't fit their current store model blah blah blah.. Whatever..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

There is no way Hy-Vee should be held at fault here. If anything Hy-Vee should receive a community service award for sticking it out at that location as long as they did. The shoplifting problem at this location has been horrendous for more then a decade.
I'm not sure "fault" is the right word here. Hy-Vee made a business decision to close that store location. And they've been there for 25 plus years.. Shoplifting? All stores have that problem, sure some more than others.. But this is no revelation. Nor a compelling reason to close..

The news that people who use their pharmacy location will now have their prescriptions transferred to the 52nd and Center store is telling. That's quite a distance away from 36th and L.. My sense is the store "underperformed" because Hy-Vee made a business decision to not put anything into it. This will be a blow to South O.. But I'm certain it will open up an opportunity for another business to commit to that area. Nicely appointed grocery stores and retail can work and be highly successful in inner city urban core areas of major cities- that is fact..

IMO, what was missing here, after all these years at that location, was a commitment to make the store work and be relevant for the next decade or 25 years.. Hy-Vee made the business decision to close..and I'm not holding my breath that they'll make any sort of commitment to another urban core store in Omaha (like downtown) any time soon..

Take that for what it's worth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There could have been some behind the scenes stuff going on too. Maybe Hy-Vee wanted the landlord to help pay for some of the proposed remodel, but they wouldn't help out enough. The lease is almost up. Perhaps the landlord wanted way too much money to extend the lease, so Hy-Vee just decided that it would be a better business decision to vacate until the lease terminates. It's hard to tell.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I think HyVee has shown they are will to try things. When they closed the at University Place in Lincoln they did reopen it as a HyVee mainstay for a few years to give the location another shot. That has closed too now but not without an effort.

I am betting too that there is more to it than just " we are closing" The improvements could have been roadblocked by a building owner as already mentions or if HyVee was to invest there may have not bee a lease extension granted to allow justification.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Cowboy said-
"I'm certain it will open up an opportunity for another business to commit to that area. Nicely appointed grocery stores and retail can work and be highly successful in inner city urban core areas of major cities- that is fact..

Take that for what it's worth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace"

I would say that anyone betting on any of that to happen is an eternal optimist and a reckless and foolish gambler. My bet is that strip mall will sit and rot and decay just like the theater next to it until someday 10 years from now they tear it down!

Hy-Vee should take their great store and employees and move it out to 84th & Giles. I guarantee that site would be a winner for Hy-Vee.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I would say that anyone betting on any of that to happen is an eternal optimist and a reckless and foolish gambler. My bet is that strip mall will sit and rot and decay just like the theater next to it until someday 10 years from now they tear it down!

Hy-Vee should take their great store and employees and move it out to 84th & Giles. I guarantee that site would be a winner for Hy-Vee.
Perhaps it will just sit and rot.. But I wouldn't take that bet either.. Economics will tell the tale of the tape ..as always...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SouthOmahansolo »

Strangely, they JUST resurfaced the parking up (only up to the Hy Vee "property line", but still), and repainted the entire outside of the building (finally) to make it look nice again. I live only a few blocks from this location.

- It's very obviously fallen behind the other Hy Vees. The inside and outside are all beat up, run down, the floor looks constantly dirty because they probably have not done a single floor replacement since they built it.

- Other Hy Vees, like the Center one, are bright, clean. They have nutritionists and other services you can talk to. And also, they're actually cheaper than this Hy Vee. It was always strange when they'd put on sales and then specifically exclude the South O Hy Vee. It also has the worst produce selection in terms of options and quality.

It doesn't make sense that they'd shut it down. Why not ride the lease out? And from a friend that worked there, they said this store had pretty good volume. Hy Vee has never permanently killed a location before, but they definitely needed to upgrade us to a "modern Hy Vee" like the Center and other ones, with the new taller building and the gas stations. Even other South Omahans started shopping at the modern Hy Vees, because corporate has clearly left this location for dead.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

SouthOmahansolo wrote:Strangely, they JUST resurfaced the parking up (only up to the Hy Vee "property line", but still), and repainted the entire outside of the building (finally) to make it look nice again. I live only a few blocks from this location.

- It's very obviously fallen behind the other Hy Vees. The inside and outside are all beat up, run down, the floor looks constantly dirty because they probably have not done a single floor replacement since they built it.

- Other Hy Vees, like the Center one, are bright, clean. They have nutritionists and other services you can talk to. And also, they're actually cheaper than this Hy Vee. It was always strange when they'd put on sales and then specifically exclude the South O Hy Vee. It also has the worst produce selection in terms of options and quality.

It doesn't make sense that they'd shut it down. Why not ride the lease out? And from a friend that worked there, they said this store had pretty good volume. Hy Vee has never permanently killed a location before, but they definitely needed to upgrade us to a "modern Hy Vee" like the Center and other ones, with the new taller building and the gas stations. Even other South Omahans started shopping at the modern Hy Vees, because corporate has clearly left this location for dead.
Nice insights. And I agree.. It would seem this particular location was left for its eventual demise..

And welcome to the forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

What is so unusual for HyVee to close a location without building another one to replace it. Example, when they closed the one in Millard(now CVS) and opened at Oak View, only to build the one at Stony Brook to replace that. As to the Stockyards store, I am in there weekly and it is a wreck. When we did an ice cream reset recently, we needed ice scrapers to remove all of the build up! I should have realized something was up when the Cox Communications counter closed a few months ago. They knew then it was going to close.
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

Yeah, in hindsight it appears Cox must have had early information. Bank of the West also put a sign on their ATM stating another company was taking over the ATM at around the same time Cox left, so Hy Vee must have indicated something to business partners. Cox still clearly invests in the area, though, because all they did was move down to the open store spot in the same Plaza.

I was in there a couple of days ago and half the misted produce section was gone due to the mister/cooler failing.

Hopefully they can find a new tenant and that tenant is willing to truly remodel the building. And I hope Hy Vee builds a new store SOMEWHERE in South O, although we do have a land availability issue.

And the damn Kmart is still alive. The Kmart!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Meanwhile Hy-Vee is closing one of its only two midtown (east of 72nd Street) Omaha stores, on L Street.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

It strikes me that a different store could be successful there but perhaps what it takes is too far from what HyVee is comfortable doing. There is a tremendous market and south O has actually grown in recent years.
You also can't discount ownership problems at the location.

As for 84th and Giles, why would HyVee want to pull from their own store at Shadow Lake? Also, theres already 4 grocery options competing right there, without even counting the existing HyVee.
SouthOmahansolo
New to the Neighborhood

I'd like to see Baker's return to South Omaha. I think they aren't coming back though, seeing as how they sold their 50th & H location to No Frills when Albertsons left town and made no attempt since (and now that No Frills has closed and nobody has jumped on the spot)

There's the one near 36th and 370 but you can only get to that one with a car. South O has a lot of pedestrian traffic because we're so densely built down here.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I grew up less than a mile from this store back during the Jurassic era. I think this property was a Hunt Transportation depot; next to the holding pens for the Union Stockyards. Anyway, call me crazy, but I think an Aldi or a Trader Joe's would work here. Before I moved outside the Beltway (Virginia) 3 years ago, my house was in a 1960's era neighborhood that was largely working class Asian/Hispanic/Middle-Eastern immigrants and native born blue collar Americans, and equally distant from 2 TJ's (about 3 miles to both stores). They were always packed with locals---TJ's has very good prices, and it's ironic to me that in Omaha it's in a ritzy neighborhood. Same thing with 5 Guy's (their first 5 stores---all in the Virginia suburbs of DC, were in working class neighborhoods). Blue collar folks are more likely to cook at home (I can't think of many decent restaurants in South Omaha growing up outside of Johnny's Cafe and Eddie Galas'----going out to eat was a special occasion, even for fast food), so the quality and value of groceries are not lost on them.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I have heard that B&R (Super Saver, Russ's Market) is looking at the hyvee site as it was leased and not wholly owned by HyVee.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

cdub wrote:As for 84th and Giles, why would HyVee want to pull from their own store at Shadow Lake? Also, theres already 4 grocery options competing right there, without even counting the existing HyVee.
I 100% agree, cdub. Just in the twelve blocks between 96th and 84th on Giles, there's a Fareway, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and a Family Fare, with a full-size Walmart Superstore just east of 72nd -- all of which are relatively new or recently remodeled, and seem to be busy every time I visit them (which is often as I live just west of that stretch). And as you mentioned, there's the very busy HyVee at Shadow Lake not far away either.

There's also the recently remodeled HyVee at 96th & Q, so a store at 84th & Giles would cannibalize not one but two existing HyVee stores, plus compete with four other existing grocery stores in close proximity. Who knows what HyVee's future plans are, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption that a store at 84th & Giles won't be among them.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

cdub wrote:It strikes me that a different store could be successful there but perhaps what it takes is too far from what HyVee is comfortable doing. There is a tremendous market and south O has actually grown in recent years.
You also can't discount ownership problems at the location.
As for 84th and Giles, why would HyVee want to pull from their own store at Shadow Lake? Also, theres already 4 grocery options competing right there, without even counting the existing HyVee.
Shadow Lake is pretty far from the 84th &Giles you better look into that again! Same with 96th & Q. Those stores wouldn't suffer hardly at all if a Hy-Vee was to be at 84th & Giles. The customers that are going to fill that 84th & Giles store are all those poor suckers now shopping that raunchy Family Fare and Walmart on 72nd & Giles and the Walmart on 96th & Giles. Once those shop-a-holic mothers and daughters go into that nice Hy-Vee a coouple of times they wont be going back to those Walmarts with their crummy meats and vegetables and bogus supposed lowest prices.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

And Walmart is rolling out no more ad matching other grocers. Starts here 6/10.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Thinking of that plaza on 36th. Can anyone help me with something? I know it's a longshot, but when that plaza first opened, there was a fancier sit down restaurant around the halfway point down. I coulda sworn it was a Caniglia family restaurant or one of the other big Omaha restaurant family names like Cascio, but I can't say for sure as I was about 9 years old at the time. It failed pretty hard...like less than a year before it was gone. I did eat there once.

Anyone have any insight?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omaha79 wrote:Thinking of that plaza on 36th. Can anyone help me with something? I know it's a longshot, but when that plaza first opened, there was a fancier sit down restaurant around the halfway point down. I coulda sworn it was a Caniglia family restaurant or one of the other big Omaha restaurant family names like Cascio, but I can't say for sure as I was about 9 years old at the time. It failed pretty hard...like less than a year before it was gone. I did eat there once.

Anyone have any insight?
And you are not talking about Johnny's Cafe...?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Nope. Not Johnny's. It was a blink and you missed it situation. There was a sit down restaurant that opened in the Stockyards Plaza when it first opened about 1988 or so. It would have only been there for a year or less. To give you some perspective, it was in the recessed section on the East side of the building where there is a little tower....

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

omaha79 wrote:Thinking of that plaza on 36th. Can anyone help me with something? I know it's a longshot, but when that plaza first opened, there was a fancier sit down restaurant around the halfway point down. I coulda sworn it was a Caniglia family restaurant or one of the other big Omaha restaurant family names like Cascio, but I can't say for sure as I was about 9 years old at the time. It failed pretty hard...like less than a year before it was gone. I did eat there once.

Anyone have any insight?
It was a second Luigi's. Luigi was a member of the Caniglia family and had a Luigi's Restaurant in the strip mall right next to Cub Foods on 114th Dodge. Luigi was a brother of Mr C. Many of us loved eating at Mr Cs but hated slumming it going down to North 30th Street. Luigis provided us the opportunity to eat at Mr C's without having to traverse down to the hood. Anyway Luigi was doing a fantastic business on 114th and Dodge so after about 7 or 8 years he opened up that Luigi's down in the strip mall on 36th & l. It was a big mistake and flopped pretty hard within a year or so. What Luigi had failed to see was that we liked his place on 114th & Dodge because it was safe and not in the hood and if we wanted to go down to a bad neighborhood we would just go to MR C's. Luigi's on 114th & Dodge was one of my top 10 favorite places to eat in Omaha ever!

I think the one on 36th & L might of even been called "Lou Jrs" or something like that. Luigi's son ran this second location.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Ok. That sounds right. Been trying to figure that out for a while. Thanks.
Last edited by omaha79 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Per this article, a "Luciano's" was opened in 1989. Would that have been it?

http://www.omaha.com/go/caniglia-family ... ce28f.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Omaha World-Herald archives are searchable from 1983 at no cost. I bet if you search for "Stockyards Plaza restaurant" in that 1988-90 timeframe, it'll be mentioned.

http://www.omaha.com/archive/newsbank/
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Louie wrote:I have heard that B&R (Super Saver, Russ's Market) is looking at the hyvee site as it was leased and not wholly owned by HyVee.

Are the bag your own grocery stores a dying breed? You just don't hear or see them much anymore. I did like Super Save in Lincoln. The few they have in the Omaha area are not close to me.

Greg