Lockheed Martin closing Sarpy Office

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Uh... I didn't even realize Lockheed was planning a new building!? Grumman is already building their own 110,000 sq ft structure... and now Lockheed will add 90,000 sq ft. Gee whiz... this corner of 370 is booming.
Omaha World Herald wrote: Lockheed has plans to expand in Bellevue

Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest defense contractor, has selected a Bellevue site to consolidate and increase its Omaha area work force.

Lockheed hopes to have its new confines constructed by the end of the year near 45th Street and Highway 370 in Bellevue. The building is planned at just less than 90,000 square feet.

Currently, Lockheed's employees are working out of three different locations and Offutt Air Force Base.

The site will be in front of Lakewood Villages housing development and just west of the site where fellow defense contractor, Northrop Grumman Corp., is building.

Northrop, too, is trying to get most of its workers at one location.

Defense contractors have been expanding since a shift in control over the nation's space defense missions from Colorado Springs, Colo., to Offutt, which is near Bellevue.

Megan Lucas, director of the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce, said the city has seen steady expansion by defense contractors.

Tierney Helmers, a Lockheed spokeswoman, said the company hopes to add about 30 employees in Bellevue by year's end. The company now has about 130 employees in the Omaha area.

Lockheed is still negotiating with the developer for the site, but plans have been submitted to Bellevue's Planning Department.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Great news for Bellevue and the metro area for that matter. Hope the buildings will be attractive.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

This is great news. I noticed this is close to 48th and 370. I heard a few years ago they were gonna remake 48th from 370 to Cornhusker to a 4 lane street. I actually drove back in that area and I think they started making the bridge over papio creek. I could be wrong it mighta been somethin else. Anyone know when this project is supose to begin?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I saw a crane in that direction some time back... but never looked into it further. Along with this... Papillion needs to get 96th run over to 370 for once and for all.

I wouldn't expect too much architecturally from the Lockheed building. Northrop-Grumman's is typical suburban business park. A step forward for Bellevue though... and a big boost to this increasingly bustling part of 370.

jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

48th street doesn't go betwen 370 and Cornhusker today. I think it stops around the Bellevue Berry Farm. I think you mean 36th St. This is the street that the movie theater, Target, etc are on. There was some talk of widening, but I drive it every other day and haven't seen any construction starting.

I did notice that Celebrity has cleared the land along 25th and Cornhusker, which is very sad because of all of the mature trees that were there.
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

The bridge you are refering to that goes over the papio creek is part of the Twin Creek Plaza they are building. They have a website - http://www.twincreekplaza.com .
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm definitely happy that the metro is getting more jobs, but I would assume architecturally the Lockheed building will be a disapointment just like the Northrop building.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Consider the nature of this kind of business. It is very short term in terms of contracted projects, renewals etc. Heck, a change of administration could see all of Offutt shut down for all we know. That these contractors are making this large a commitment is a huge win. They could just sublease locations throughout the metro.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Twin Creek development and forementioned bridge...

http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/develop/135
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

on their new 86.5k building at 45th and 370.
Lockheed consolidating 5 offices
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Such a pathetic building. Disapointing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

At least its in bellevue not DTO.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Looks decent for a suburban office building (especially for Bellevue). I wouldn't crack too hard on this, as there are uglier buildings downtown!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Let's face it... even a $200 million, 10 year contract isn't going to spur any of these defense contractors to invest any more money than they have to in 'temporary' digs (oh yeah... and they're leasing).

This about as big a commitment as you can expect in this business. The most important news out of this is their intention to add more good paying tech jobs.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

What exactly would meet your approval streets?

It is worth noting, that Union Pacific also leases the Union Pacific Center.
Last edited by futrecndvlpr on Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Actually, I think this does represent good investment and commitment in the area. Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman (also consolidating into a new building in the aea) are two of eight major defense contractors that have offices in Omaha and Bellevue. This represents the importance of StratComm (and the importance of integrating the Space Command with Strat Comm in 2002) and can spur more investment with important contracts with the Air Force.

Don't read too much into the fact that they are leasing the space. This is not uncommon, especially today. The economic downturn of the late 1990's, continual sluggishness of the economy and crippling attention to synthetic leases and other ownership mechanisms (heightened by Enron and others using such methods coming to light in accounting scandals) has had the effect of many companies returning to leaseholds and divesting of real estate assets. This is not a bad thing as real estate certainly is not a core competency of many including Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Doesn't Conagra lease their campus as well. I seem to recall the family that owns first national actually owns the conagra campus?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would doubt that Bruce Lauritzen owned the Jobber's Canyon. I believe that the city of Omaha would have held posession of the land.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

futrecndvlpr wrote:What exactly would meet your approval streets?
Almost anything besides a two story suburban building with no design integrity surrounded by parking.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Streets, 300 high paying jobs for the metro area. That is the bottom line. The jobs are the important thing. They could throw up a port-a-potty village and I would be satisfied.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OhioStreetKid wrote:Streets, 300 high paying jobs for the metro area. That is the bottom line. The jobs are the important thing. They could throw up a port-a-potty village and I would be satisfied.
Awwww, that's sad. :wink:

Of course the jobs are the important thing. That's not being debated. This thread is about them constructing their new building. Since we already know the jobs are a sure thing, that frees us up to complain about non important things like aesthetics and design (two things I actually find VERY important).
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
OhioStreetKid wrote:Streets, 300 high paying jobs for the metro area. That is the bottom line. The jobs are the important thing. They could throw up a port-a-potty village and I would be satisfied.
Awwww, that's sad. :wink:

Of course the jobs are the important thing. That's not being debated. This thread is about them constructing their new building. Since we already know the jobs are a sure thing, that frees us up to complain about non important things like aesthetics and design (two things I actually find VERY important).
Streets,

I agree with your concerns 100%, but in this instance it is not worth losing sleep over. The building is small and located in an obscure area. Few businesses invest much in designing small buildings like this.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's good for Bellevue. It willl give one of our suburbs a boost to it's identity.
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

There's no way anything could possibly make Bellevue any uglier than it already is.....well maybe a port-o-potty village. An 8 story stone building with underground parking would have been nice but least the land didn't go to Big Lots or Dollar Tree.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad
City Council

Re: Lockheed groundbreaking

Post by Brad »

Lockheed Martin is closing its Sarpy County office this summer. Building is up for lease and employees will be let go or transferred.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Lockheed Martin closing Sarpy Office

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed the Lockheed sign was removed from the building earlier this week. It appears that the building is empty now.