Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Re: Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

Post by bbinks »

Original wrote:Right now, there are 4 grocery stores within a mile of each other on 90th (The new Wal-mart Neighborhood market at 90th & Ohio where the Hobby Lobby was, Bag N Save at 90th & Maple, the newish Fareway off 90th & Maple, and the Aldi at 90th & Maplewood). Spartan Nash has closed a bunch of the Bag N Save's in the Central/North West part of town (76th & Dodge, Miracle Hills, 108th & Maple) in addition to some No Frills but not the two that are closest to each other, the Bag N Save at 90th & Maple, and the No Frills at 80th & Blondo. There was a Family Fare billboard near 84th and Blondo for a few months, and I am betting that the branding I bet in the next round, one of those will go and one will be remodeled, and I hope it's the 90th and Maple Bag N Save that goes and the 80th & Blondo No Frills that gets remodeled, in part because I can walk to the No Frills. But that might also mean that the whole plaza there would have to get a facelift and while it needs it, I don't know that the current tenant lineup supports the capex that would require.
Both of the stores you mention are total dives. A full scale remodel would probably need the store to be closed down, unlike some of the other change overs.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Back in 1970 that Bag N save on 90th & Maple was a Grants department store. They were as big as a K-Mart or Walmart . I liked the place because I was 10 and had a paper route and I could go in there and get cheap stuff. They would always run a special where you could get a 10 gallon aquarium with some live fish and gravel and light and heater for 9.99 and I bought 3 or 4 of those. Even though I was kid I remember Grants was famous for their Grants Store credit cards because they did no credit check. Everybody that applied got a card. With all that easy credit that place was packed. Eventually I think this helped lead to their bankruptcy in the mid 70s. I remember when No Frils on 84th & Blondo was a Shavers Grocery back in the 60's. Place was a rat hole then too.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

bbinks wrote:
Original wrote:Right now, there are 4 grocery stores within a mile of each other on 90th (The new Wal-mart Neighborhood market at 90th & Ohio where the Hobby Lobby was, Bag N Save at 90th & Maple, the newish Fareway off 90th & Maple, and the Aldi at 90th & Maplewood). Spartan Nash has closed a bunch of the Bag N Save's in the Central/North West part of town (76th & Dodge, Miracle Hills, 108th & Maple) in addition to some No Frills but not the two that are closest to each other, the Bag N Save at 90th & Maple, and the No Frills at 80th & Blondo. There was a Family Fare billboard near 84th and Blondo for a few months, and I am betting that the branding I bet in the next round, one of those will go and one will be remodeled, and I hope it's the 90th and Maple Bag N Save that goes and the 80th & Blondo No Frills that gets remodeled, in part because I can walk to the No Frills. But that might also mean that the whole plaza there would have to get a facelift and while it needs it, I don't know that the current tenant lineup supports the capex that would require.
Both of the stores you mention are total dives. A full scale remodel would probably need the store to be closed down, unlike some of the other change overs.
Yes, I would presume that if one is remodeled, the other will stay open until the remodel is complete. I wouldn't say they are total dives, but maybe I have far lower standards than I should.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Interesting that they are keeping the one at 50th and Grover, and closing the one at 50th and G. The one at 50th and G always seemed a lot nice. Assuming the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market being closer to it was a huge factor.

Greg
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Years ago when Jack Baker wanted to expand Baker's at 50th & Grover, the owner of the shopping center told him NO, so he bought the land & built the Spring Valley shopping center. When he opened it, he lost a lot of customers because those in the area don't like going past the tunnel on 50th. To me, it's no big deal, but to a lot of folks, that's the line of demarcation! True, 1990 is a lot newer than the 1960's era 50th & Grover, but the Spring Valley store hasn't had ANY improvements since Kroger closed it. Sad, but I'm ecstatic about the remodel at 50th & Grover!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

And on another note, I see where PDM (the real estate company owned in part by Jack Baker) has sold the plaza including the No Frills at 24th & Vinton. Not sure what to make of that. That store is in real sorry shape. I might consider putting this one on the list for the next round of closings
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Coyote wrote:
cdub wrote:Wow, the Papillion version got a very nice, very complete beer, liquor, wine section. Not impressed with the pricing as much but I'll keep an eye on that.
84th & Giles?
Yes
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

cdub wrote:
Coyote wrote:
cdub wrote:Wow, the Papillion version got a very nice, very complete beer, liquor, wine section. Not impressed with the pricing as much but I'll keep an eye on that.
84th & Giles?
Yes
I will have to check this out again then...
fci4rene
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fci4rene »

debradomayer wrote:And on another note, I see where PDM (the real estate company owned in part by Jack Baker) has sold the plaza including the No Frills at 24th & Vinton. Not sure what to make of that. That store is in real sorry shape. I might consider putting this one on the list for the next round of closings
Looks like a Dollar Tree opened at the south end of that same plaza, which could take some business away from No Frills, there prices aren't all that no frills.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What possible business and marketing sense does it make for one company to have three unique names for their stores operating in one market area? I cannot fathom why they insist on doing this.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nativeomahan wrote:What possible business and marketing sense does it make for one company to have three unique names for their stores operating in one market area? I cannot fathom why they insist on doing this.
The stores are being rebranded as Family Fare when they are remodeled. Maybe they don't want to potentially pay for expensive exterior signage twice? Once to just change the name, and again if the signage needs to be updated to match a remodel.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:What possible business and marketing sense does it make for one company to have three unique names for their stores operating in one market area? I cannot fathom why they insist on doing this.
The stores are being rebranded as Family Fare when they are remodeled. Maybe they don't want to potentially pay for expensive exterior signage twice? Once to just change the name, and again if the signage needs to be updated to match a remodel.
You wouldn't want to devalue the Family Fare brand by having it on a sub par product.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Do not like the new pricing however. They cant just have a sale, you have to sign up for their damn card to get any of the advertised deals. Annoying.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

cdub wrote:Do not like the new pricing however. They cant just have a sale, you have to sign up for their darn card to get any of the advertised deals. Annoying.
Works for Baker's.

Still an annoyance.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

bbinks wrote:
cdub wrote:Do not like the new pricing however. They cant just have a sale, you have to sign up for their darn card to get any of the advertised deals. Annoying.
Works for Baker's.

Still an annoyance.
I dont shop there either :;):
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

402-867-5309

That or 402-933-3000

And I don't even feel bad.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Four actually, if you include the 3 Supermercado stores, which were once No Frills or Bag n Saves. Forgot about those until I went to one yesterday. Owned by Nash as well.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Meanwhile, Hy-Vee and Bakers and Walmart are eating their lunch.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Yet another No Frills is closing or at this point has closed. The one at 132nd & West Center. The landlord, who used to own a well known grocery chain in town, owns the property & exercised a clause in the lease where if he gave them ample notice, he could terminate the lease. Apparently they were paying pennies for rent and there will be a new tenant in the near future. Too bad, altho it wasn't busy, it was a really nice store. Sad
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

debradomayer wrote:Years ago when Jack Baker wanted to expand Baker's at 50th & Grover, the owner of the shopping center told him NO, so he bought the land & built the Spring Valley shopping center. When he opened it, he lost a lot of customers because those in the area don't like going past the tunnel on 50th. To me, it's no big deal, but to a lot of folks, that's the line of demarcation! True, 1990 is a lot newer than the 1960's era 50th & Grover, but the Spring Valley store hasn't had ANY improvements since Kroger closed it. Sad, but I'm ecstatic about the remodel at 50th & Grover!
First, I worked at the Spring Valley Baker's for 12 1/2 years, 1992-2004.

Second, the story regarding how Spring Valley came to be is accurate. One thing to add: Jack held the lease to Grover for years after it closed. Mike Feld (who owned the plaza) had to threaten to sue to get Jack to cancel the lease.

For a time, Spring Valley was the highest volume grocery store in Omaha. It lost business due to two factors: 1) Fleming acquired Scrivner Foods, who owned Festival Foods. They converted the Festival at Saddlecreek & Leavenworth in to a Baker's; 2) In April of one year (I forget when exactly -- Rich Hunt was still the Store Director, tho), 50th Street was closed for six months because the city wanted to replace the water mains under the UP tunnel between C & F Streets. It was supposed to take two weeks. But the city forgot to ask for permission from UP who actually owns the land beneath the tunnel. The dispute resulted in a huge delay. It sucked. My commute went from less than two minutes to ten as I had to take 42nd or 60th to work via Grover.

Spring Valley never recovered, as the folks who lived on the north side of the interstate just got used to shopping at Bag'n Save, Hy-Vee and the Saddlecreek Baker's. Some folks blamed Kroger for the downfall. But that really isn't fair. The writing was on the wall by time Kroger came along in 2001.

And the closing of this store saddens me. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears were shed there. I still miss the place and the people. The best place I ever worked.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Yet another No Frills is closing or at this point has closed. The one at 132nd & West Center. The landlord, who used to own a well known grocery chain in town, owns the property & exercised a clause in the lease where if he gave them ample notice, he could terminate the lease. Apparently they were paying pennies for rent and there will be a new tenant in the near future. Too bad, altho it wasn't busy, it was a really nice store. Sad
At said location PDM Inc. just applied for a $750k renovation.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I'd heard through the vendor grapevine that PDM had already leased that space. It'll will be interesting to see what will go in there.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

132nd and West Center was the eponymous Baker's Supermarket at Baker's Square. It was THE grocery store in Omaha for a good many years. Always packed on weekends. My mother used to shop almost exclusively at that store, or at the Food City in Bel Air Plaza. Abe Baker himself was a presence inside the store for many of those years.
I don't fault Kroger for the way they run their stores, but the pre-Kroger Baker's were far better. A better deli, for one thing.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I DO miss the old Baker's. And I worked at the 132nd & Center store for a couple of years. One of the original store managers at that store started with Abe at 50th & Ames as a carry out. He worked his way up-fast tracked. He was the youngest grocery store mgr at the time, he couldn't even ring up liquor! He spent over 50 years with all of the incarnations of Bakers, retired about 4 years ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pre Kroger Bakers were the Bomb. I hate going there now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone heard if the Bag and Save at 108th and Maple is going to get converted? I sure hope so, its only a few min from our new office.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Brad, according to my sources, there will be 6 remodels, including the one on 108th & Maple as well as Bellevue, 108 & Q, 153rd & Weir, 30th & Weber and I'm not sure if 90th & Maple is included or not. I'm guessing that store closures aren't done yet either.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

debradomayer wrote:I DO miss the old Baker's. And I worked at the 132nd & Center store for a couple of years. One of the original store managers at that store started with Abe at 50th & Ames as a carry out. He worked his way up-fast tracked. He was the youngest grocery store mgr at the time, he couldn't even ring up liquor! He spent over 50 years with all of the incarnations of Bakers, retired about 4 years ago.
Rich started at 50th & Grover. :mrgreen:
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

debradomayer wrote:Brad, according to my sources, there will be 6 remodels, including the one on 108th & Maple as well as Bellevue, 108 & Q, 153rd & Weir, 30th & Weber and I'm not sure if 90th & Maple is included or not. I'm guessing that store closures aren't done yet either.
90th is a dump. Has had zero done to it since they took it over from Target in 1995. That would be an expensive remodel.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

debradomayer wrote:Brad, according to my sources, there will be 6 remodels, including the one on 108th & Maple as well as Bellevue, 108 & Q, 153rd & Weir, 30th & Weber and I'm not sure if 90th & Maple is included or not. I'm guessing that store closures aren't done yet either.
There is no way they are keeping that store on 153rd Weir much longer. That store is a Dead Grocery Store Walking! I guarantee they have lost bucket loads of money at that location and no business can afford to do that forever.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

As far as I've been told, they are keeping 153 & Weir but just found out today that 80th & Blondo is the next store on the list to close
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That will probably kill off that plaza...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

153rd and Weir isn't a bad location considering all the residential and being at a busy intersection. Who knows, maybe it's too close to Hy-Vee and Super Saver to be competitive. I'm convinced that Super Saver and L Street Plaza with Walmart and Target are what eventually killed off Baker's at Deerfield down the street.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

Darn. I could walk to the 80th and Blondo No Frills. I guess I can hoof it to Wal-Mart or Bag N Save if I really want to walk and get groceries, but I'm selfishly sorry that's the one getting cut.

Brad, it probably won't kill off the plaza immediately. Kenos night are a huge draw there.
freedombelle2001
New to the Neighborhood

Post by freedombelle2001 »

I heard today that 3 stores are closing. Broadway in Council Bluffs, Blondo and one out west, that is specific as I heard from a
No Frills employee. I work for a Family Fare that does great business, I used to work at the Bellevue store that closed and the
West Center store that closed, I at least feel secure in the store I am at now since it has been remodeled and is so busy all the time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, I wonder if HyVee moving onto 23rd and Broadway from N 16th st hurt the No Frills. If that happens, hopefully another grocery chain will move into the building or they tear it down. The old Foodland/Jubilee Foods supermarket was vacant for a really long time, in fact, the middle portion is still vacant.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Besides the new HyVee hurting them, I am sure the new Walmart on north 16th has also taken away a lot of their business. That NoFrills is really old and crappy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

freedombelle2001 wrote:I heard today that 3 stores are closing. Broadway in Council Bluffs, Blondo and one out west
Bag 'N Save #3781
15370 Weir Street
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SpartanNash to close three area stores, spent $14 million remodeling eight others
Barbara Soderlin - World-Herald staff writer wrote:SpartanNash will spend $14 million to remodel four Bag ’N Save and four No Frills stores, rebranding them as Family Fare stores, just as it did in 2015 when it spent $15 million to remodel four former No Frills stores and two former Bag ’N Saves.