Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Re: Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

Post by mrsticka »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
mrsticka wrote:So basically, they removed the parcel pickups and repainted the white tops? Not very inspiring. I wish Albertsons had remodeled those stores when they were still there.
As long as were wishing then I wish Albertsons was still in town.
So do I. :(
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I liked the add on liquor stores. Grocery store prices at convenience store speeds. You also were guaranteed a cashier that was 19 or older.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

The liquor section at the Albertsons (now Family Fare) on 108th and Q used to be a Louie's Liquor. Then sometime in the 90's, Albertsons bought it and it became the liquor section.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

So, not expecting much of a bite here, but I when went to the Family Fare on 90th at about 9pm a couple days ago, I about hit my face on the doors expecting them to open. Then I noticed a sign on the door that said something like "We're moving! New hours 7am-7pm"

I haven't been back there since, but next time I'm in during the day, I'll ask them. But just in case, anybody know the story on that? Part of me thinks "We're moving" means something more like, "we're moving all our stuff to the other stores". Because by the eye test, its always been the slowest location, and it was always weird to me that the 90th store and 108th store were so close to each other. It just seems like the "odd man out". Plus I can't think of a reason why, or even where they'd "move" to.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Maybe taking over the old Fareway a few blocks north?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

ProgKingHughesker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:41 pm Maybe taking over the old Fareway a few blocks north?
That makes sense. The old Target is waaaaaaaay too much space for what Family Fare needs.
orangeboots
New to the Neighborhood

Post by orangeboots »

The Family Fare building in Council Bluffs recently sold. I believe to a company in Minn. I didn't look to see if they bought the Omaha locations also.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

My grandma went there today and asked. They are indeed just closing the 90th st store and moving the staff and the product to 108th. She said the 14th or 16th will be the last day.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

NEDodger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:44 pm
ProgKingHughesker wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:41 pm Maybe taking over the old Fareway a few blocks north?
That makes sense. The old Target is waaaaaaaay too much space for what Family Fare needs.
Anyone remember what it was before Target?
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I believe Family Fare acquired Sun Mart locations. The Falls City, Auburn, and Wahoo Sun Mart locations are now all Family Fare.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:27 am I believe Family Fare acquired Sun Mart locations. The Falls City, Auburn, and Wahoo Sun Mart locations are now all Family Fare.
I think they’ve owned them for some time. They’re just seem to be consolidating the name.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

NEDodger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:44 pm The old Target is waaaaaaaay too much space for what Family Fare needs.
I know this is an old post, but oddly enough, I remember before the 90th location became a Family Fare, it was a Bag N Save, and the store did take up the whole floor area of the building. When they made it a family fare, you could see over the freezers that they partitioned off a good maybe 25% of the building, so it was always a wonder to me how the Bag N Save utilized the whole floor area. I didn't go there often until it was a Family Fare and they got rid of the No Frills on Blondo.

It really just reminds me how many grocery store locations we've lost in the last decade. It seems like the grocery stores have really homogenized around here as in there's only a few big options now, Walmart, Hyvee, Family Fare/Nuestra Familia, and Bakers. And as a result, they're naturally not going to space their own locations very close to each other, so I feel we've lost a lot of the in between grocery locations. Not many more "just down the street" stores.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I think that has been the national trend for maybe the past 25 years. Actually Omaha still has many grocery options, including ALDI, Natural Grocers, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, in addition to the mega stores. Super Targets are also all over town.
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:10 am
NEDodger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:44 pm The old Target is waaaaaaaay too much space for what Family Fare needs.
I know this is an old post, but oddly enough, I remember before the 90th location became a Family Fare, it was a Bag N Save, and the store did take up the whole floor area of the building. When they made it a family fare, you could see over the freezers that they partitioned off a good maybe 25% of the building, so it was always a wonder to me how the Bag N Save utilized the whole floor area. I didn't go there often until it was a Family Fare and they got rid of the No Frills on Blondo.

It really just reminds me how many grocery store locations we've lost in the last decade. It seems like the grocery stores have really homogenized around here as in there's only a few big options now, Walmart, Hyvee, Family Fare/Nuestra Familia, and Bakers. And as a result, they're naturally not going to space their own locations very close to each other, so I feel we've lost a lot of the in between grocery locations. Not many more "just down the street" stores.
The old Bag n Save just always felt empty inside even when there were people shopping because it was just so huge (also an easy place to boost booze as a high schooler because of that). I actually worked at the Family Fare for a few months after the renovation, the area behind the freezers seemed to be where they brought all the unused shelving from the stores they closed/renovated.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:20 am I think that has been the national trend for maybe the past 25 years. Actually Omaha still has many grocery options, including ALDI, Natural Grocers, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, in addition to the mega stores. Super Targets are also all over town.
I'm not so sure it's the case anymore, but at one time Omaha had the most grocery stores per capita than any other city in the country.

Several years ago, my sister worked for a food broker and called on every single grocery store in Omaha, even the smaller grocers like Phil's Foodway, plus all the Walmart Supercenters. She had told me the number once, but I don't remember what it was. Several have closed, sold, opened since then.
West_O_Wino
New to the Neighborhood

Post by West_O_Wino »

They are currently setting up a True Value hardware store inside the Family Fare at 144th & Center. Most of the store has been rearranged and the liquor department downsized.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

West_O_Wino wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:20 pm They are currently setting up a True Value hardware store inside the Family Fare at 144th & Center. Most of the store has been rearranged and the liquor department downsized.
Yeah I finally figured that out a few weeks ago. It was the weirdest thing to me. 90th was my store before it closed. An employee from that store said all the stock was moving to 108th & Maple. That happened, and not much later, the same thing happened at 108th & Maple. They pretty much took a third of the floor space and turned it into a True Value. It's not open yet, but all the stock is there. I have no clue how it's supposed to work. I've never heard of a grocery store and a hardware store under the same roof. How do you even...? Plus Omaha hasn't had a True Value in my lifetime as far as I know. Very odd move I'd say.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:53 am Plus Omaha hasn't had a True Value in my lifetime as far as I know.
There was a large True Value at 73 and Blondo for many years. It took up part of the old Richmond Goldman Building. It was larger than most ace/west lake stores. It was also weird because in addition to hardware, it also sold hunting and other outdoors stuff, had lots of guns and ammo. It was open until the mid 1990’s, not sure how old you are.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:29 am There was a large True Value at 73 and Blondo for many years. It took up part of the old Richmond Goldman Building. It was larger than most ace/west lake stores. It was also weird because in addition to hardware, it also sold hunting and other outdoors stuff, had lots of guns and ammo. It was open until the mid 1990’s, not sure how old you are.
Huh, I lived around there from 92 on. Never knew about it, woulda been too young to have any memory of it. So we're talking 30ish years since True Value has been here? It just seems like a peculiar addition to me. I always associated True Value with small towns.

When I saw 108th and all the stuff they were moving in, I asked "Is Ace Hardware moving in?" That's what it looked like to me, and since 90th left and there is an Ace in that plaza, I wondered if the whole thing at 90th & Maple was going down.

But now knowing it's True Value, and the same thing is happening at 144th & Center has me really scratching my head.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Kind of an odd marriage. The huge Westlake store is just a couple of blocks East at about 142nd and West Center Rd. A True Value would seem to be a downsized version of Westlake, so if you are shopping for hardware type stuff in that neighborhood why go to the much smaller hardware store when a superstore is 1 minute away? Maybe if you needed both a socket wrench and box of donuts and didn’t want to make 2 separate trips. I guess it could add foot traffic to the Family Fare but it still seems an odd combo store to me.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:58 pm Kind of an odd marriage. The huge Westlake store is just a couple of blocks East at about 142nd and West Center Rd. A True Value would seem to be a downsized version of Westlake, so if you are shopping for hardware type stuff in that neighborhood why go to the much smaller hardware store when a superstore is 1 minute away? Maybe if you needed both a socket wrench and box of donuts and didn’t want to make 2 separate trips. I guess it could add foot traffic to the Family Fare but it still seems an odd combo store to me.
You know if I had a nickel for every time I was in a grocery store wishing I could pickup a saw blade and a lawn mower...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

djc311 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:56 am
nativeomahan wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:58 pm Kind of an odd marriage. The huge Westlake store is just a couple of blocks East at about 142nd and West Center Rd. A True Value would seem to be a downsized version of Westlake, so if you are shopping for hardware type stuff in that neighborhood why go to the much smaller hardware store when a superstore is 1 minute away? Maybe if you needed both a socket wrench and box of donuts and didn’t want to make 2 separate trips. I guess it could add foot traffic to the Family Fare but it still seems an odd combo store to me.
You know if I had a nickel for every time I was in a grocery store wishing I could pickup a saw blade and a lawn mower...
a lot of times the smaller ones seem to have more of the one-off stuff than the super stores, that's all
Go Cubs Go
West_O_Wino
New to the Neighborhood

Post by West_O_Wino »

That's what I thought, too. Speaking of odd marriages, that nearby Westlake used to have a Hallmark store inside (not just greeting cards, but all the collectible ornaments and knickknacks). Apparently that didn't work out because it's gone now.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

I drove by 108th this evening, and saw the True Value sign to the right of the Family Fare sign.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

djc311 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:56 am
😂.
Or maybe a gas grill to go with your package of chicken thighs and jar of BBQ sauce.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I went to their West Center store today and I would estimate that the True Value footprint is 15-20% of the overall store size. They moved lightbulbs and the other pseudo hardware stuff that every grocery store carries over to the new True Value area, so in reality a portion of the True Value merchandise is stuff that Family Fare already carried.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The Pac N Save in Seward has had an ACE Hardware on the South part of the store ever since I've been out here. You walk past it to get to the coolers in the SW corner, or the pharmacy, but outside of that, you don't really notice the place.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

jessep28 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:58 am The Pac N Save in Seward has had an ACE Hardware on the South part of the store ever since I've been out here. You walk past it to get to the coolers in the SW corner, or the pharmacy, but outside of that, you don't really notice the place.
Is it separated in any way? This whole True Value moving into Family Fare is just the strangest concept to me. I never heard of it. I guess the whole thing of it being open air and them sharing the same doors is perplexing to me?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Well, I guess we now have hardware stores open until 11 pm at night, for all your late night hardware needs.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:17 pm
jessep28 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:58 am The Pac N Save in Seward has had an ACE Hardware on the South part of the store ever since I've been out here. You walk past it to get to the coolers in the SW corner, or the pharmacy, but outside of that, you don't really notice the place.
Is it separated in any way? This whole True Value moving into Family Fare is just the strangest concept to me. I never heard of it. I guess the whole thing of it being open air and them sharing the same doors is perplexing to me?
The reverse of Menards adding groceries .......
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:07 pm Well, I guess we now have hardware stores open until 11 pm at night, for all your late night hardware needs.
There's another reason to be perplexed. Usually True Value closes relatively early. Like 9 max and 6 on Sunday in some places. I just don't compute. They have separate staff? Are the family fare staff expected to cover True Value when their employees aren't there? It just makes zero sense. It kinda leads me to believe Family Fare doesn't know what the heck they're doing and maybe they won't be around much longer.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:38 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:17 pm
The reverse of Menards adding groceries .......
I thought that too. But at least Menards handles all of that under their own umbrella. As weird as I've always thought menards selling milk was, this takes the cake. I'm surprised Menards doesn't sell beer.

I don't often find myself needing a saw blade, a tube of caulk, or a box of screws after 9pm, but if I ever do, Walmart has a serviceable hardware department.