Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

Post by NovakOmaha »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Does that make No Frills the last locally owned chain in the city?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Does that make No Frills the last locally owned chain in the city?
Depending on your definition of chain, Yes.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Does that make No Frills the last locally owned chain in the city?
Depending on your definition of chain, Yes.
I should of specified supermarket.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

And your definition of local.  Super Saver is employee owned and headquartered in Lincoln.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow wrote:
And your definition of local.  Super Saver is employee owned and headquartered in Lincoln.
Same company that runs SS runs Russ's Markets correct?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

That's correct...Russ Raybould, (and his kids), B&R Stores Inc.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

On Bag n Save, from my understanding the Shrego brothers weren't doing anything with the stores after their parents retired. I'm sure it was inevitable that they would be sold.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

jessep28 wrote:On Bag n Save, from my understanding the Shrego brothers weren't doing anything with the stores after their parents retired. I'm sure it was inevitable that they would be sold.
If you're referring to Jack & Leon, they are the ones that bought half of the Albertsons.  Sounds to me like they were doing something.  They also moved the corporate office from 108 & L to the old Pacesetters offices at around 96th & J or K.  There is more to the story but it's not public.  It has nothing to do with the stores.  
On the other hand, would you want to compete with all the baby Walmarts?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

It will be interesting to see how much changes.   B&S at one time was one of the cheaper stores.  Once they acquired some of the Albertson's, they were not as price competitive.   Nash is the main supplier for No Frills.  This will affect them as well.  B&S & No Frills often have many of the same specials/sales.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Bag and Save went from being price competitive to being almost as expensive as Hy-Vee with their shelf prices.  Bakers can be high priced, but at least they have a bunch of in-store sales going on.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

HskrFanMike wrote:Bag and Save went from being price competitive to being almost as expensive as Hy-Vee with their shelf prices.  Bakers can be high priced, but at least they have a bunch of in-store sales going on.
Bad n Save definitely is expensive, and their stores are not very nice.  If you go to Bakers without their loyalty card you will spend a ton of money.  I go to Hyvee for its convenience and Just Good Meat when I need meat.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

My wife and I only went to Bag and Save twice when we first moved here, only because it was the only grocery store we found the first couple days we were here.  My impression was that it was as expensive as Bakers and Hyvee, but a whole lot crappier (The only one I've been to is the one at 76th and Dodge).
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

You should have seen some of their older stores.  The one that was by Best Buy on Dodge before it moved into its present location, and the one that was on 108th & M were in bad shape.
Seth wrote:My wife and I only went to Bag and Save twice when we first moved here, only because it was the only grocery store we found the first couple days we were here.  My impression was that it was as expensive as Bakers and Hyvee, but a whole lot crappier (The only one I've been to is the one at 76th and Dodge).
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

bbinks wrote:Nash is the main supplier for No Frills.  This will affect them as well.
There goes my last reason to shop at either of those stores.  If the prices aren't competitive, I'll start shopping at Hy Vee and/or Baker's. They're closer to me, anyway. Buh-bye, Bag'N'Save!
Brad
City Council

No Frills Supermarkets (SpartanNash)

Post by Brad »

Minn. company buys No Frills

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120515/N" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -no-frills
Erin Golden WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:No Frills Supermarkets is now the second Omaha-based supermarket chain to be bought by a Minneapolis food wholesaler.

The deal announced Tuesday with U Save Foods Inc., a subsidiary of Nash Finch Co., involves 14 No Frills stores in Nebraska — 12 of them in Omaha — along with four stores in western Iowa.

Nash Finch purchased the Bag ‘N Save chain in March and also operates stores under several other brands, including Avanza, Econofoods, Family Fresh Markets and Sun Mart. With the addition of No Frills, Nash Finch will now own 24 Omaha supermarkets and a total of 41 stores in Nebraska.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if any of the stores will be rebranded or closed?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought when they bought Bag and Save, they said they would be re-branded u save.

I am guessing the Bag and Save on Vinton would close and the No Frills on Blondo would close.

I am guessing something might change along West Center???  No Frills at 132 and Bag and Save at 144.
Last edited by Brad on Tue May 15, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am guessing the Bag and Save on 50th and Grover or the No Frills on 50th and F may close?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yikes.  That would leave a lot of empty buildings.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I would think the Bag N Save on 51st and Harrison wouldn't be safe considering the condition it's in. The place was a POS when my aunt would shop there in the early 90's. I doubt it got much better.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

jessep28 wrote:I would think the Bag N Save on 51st and Harrison wouldn't be safe considering the condition it's in. The place was a POS when my aunt would shop there in the early 90's. I doubt it got much better.
Didn't that building house a skating rink at one time? If it did, I was in it when I was a kid and it was a POS then.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Walmart plans trigger buys of No Frills, Bag 'N Save
Erin Golden, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:The Minnesota food wholesaler that has purchased two Omaha grocery chains — No Frills Supermarkets and Bag 'N Save — in two months is taking aim at growing grocery competition from Walmart.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Bugeater wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I would think the Bag N Save on 51st and Harrison wouldn't be safe considering the condition it's in. The place was a POS when my aunt would shop there in the early 90's. I doubt it got much better.
Didn't that building house a skating rink at one time? If it did, I was in it when I was a kid and it was a POS then.
Yes, it used to be a skating rink.
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

They were planning a complete remodel when I left the company a few years back.  Haven't been back to that store to see if it ever happened, but if you haven't been there recently, it could have...
nebugeater
City Council

Re: No Frills - SOLD

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like two of the Bag 'N Save locations are closing in Late October

7646 Dodge St. and 770 N. 114th St

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-bag-n- ... 90741.9294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Bag N Save

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like two of the Bag 'N Save locations are closing in Late October

7646 Dodge St. and 770 N. 114th St

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-bag-n- ... 90741.9294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but has anyone heard anything solid about what's moving in where Louis' Market used to be in Benson? Last I heard it was another Bucky's, which we don't need. What we need is a grocery store! :?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would love to see someone with a vision buy up the empty pool store and the soon to be empty grocery store and come up wih a solid development to compliment Crossroads.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

threeoutside wrote:I hope this isn't too off-topic, but has anyone heard anything solid about what's moving in where Louis' Market used to be in Benson? Last I heard it was another Bucky's, which we don't need. What we need is a grocery store!   :?
The neighborhood fought but lost. Check out the Benson forum, it's a Bucky's.
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

The neighborhood fought but lost. Check out the Benson forum, it's a Bucky's.
That's what I was afraid of. Dang it.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Sorry for folks that are losing their jobs, and for the other merchants in what is an increasingly empty mall. That store was not appealing at all. Hated shopping there.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The 114th location was a nice store back when it was a Cub Foods. But like with the 134th & Maple KMart little upkeep made both look trashy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks bbinks, I was trying to remember what this originally was, and it was a nice grocery store back in its days, after they got rid of that trailer park that used to be there :lol:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Speaking of the 134 & Maple KMart, I saw kids with Store Closing - everything must go - signs along Maple...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Stay tuned for more closings. The BagnSave at 50th & Grover (their #1 store) is starting a major remodel in November including the addition of an in store bank. Once completed the rumor is another store will close. Also slated for remodels are BagnSave 108 & Maple, 108 & Q, 156 & Q. The No Frills on Broadway in CB also has done some remodeling.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

156th & Q isn't that old. I believe that was also a Cub Foods. Then Sunmart before B&S.

The No-Frills need more work than the B&S.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

156th & Q may not be that old... But it is pretty dismal compared to other West O grocers. I was just in there over the weekend and it wasn't very appealing.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:156th & Q may not be that old... But it is pretty dismal compared to other West O grocers. I was just in there over the weekend and it wasn't very appealing.
It was a Cub foods for a short while.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

It's nice to see Spartan invest in the market. Nash used to just let their stores languish and deteriorate, like the ones in Lincoln. Hard to compete with the HyVees & Bakers if you don't update.