Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

freedombelle2001
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Family Fare - No Frills - Bag N Save

Post by freedombelle2001 »

Coyote wrote:
freedombelle2001 wrote:I heard today that 3 stores are closing. Broadway in Council Bluffs, Blondo and one out west
Bag 'N Save #3781
15370 Weir Street
When my job at 132nd West Center ended due to closing I was sent to 153rd Weir store for 3 weeks to help the verifier, they wanted me
to stay, glad I did not or I would of been at my 3rd closing store (I originally was at Fort Crook Rd in Bellevue) , anyway I thought the Weir store was beautiful, but huge!, and hardly any customers, what a shame.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

freedombelle2001 wrote: When my job at 132nd West Center ended due to closing I was sent to 153rd Weir store for 3 weeks to help the verifier, they wanted me
to stay, glad I did not or I would of been at my 3rd closing store (I originally was at Fort Crook Rd in Bellevue) , anyway I thought the Weir store was beautiful, but huge!, and hardly any customers, what a shame.
I never understood why the 156th and Q store wasn't busier. It was one of the nicer of the Bag N Saves.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm sure we have mentioned this before... But,
Wasn't this a Cub Foods, or a Sunshine Market before this?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:I'm sure we have mentioned this before... But,
Wasn't this a Cub Foods, or a Sunshine Market before this?
I don't remember the order, but the store was a Sun Mart and Cub Foods before Bag N Save.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am fairly certain 156 and Q was built by Cub Food.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I am not surprised but totally disappointed the Blondo No-Frills is closing. I live only a 3 minute walk from that store and go there often enough. I will admit, Walmart on 90th, and Cass Hy-Vee have gotten a lot of my work-day business, but when I need something quick and definitely don't feel like pulling out the car, No-frills is my go to. It will be interesting to see how the whole plaza fares.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:
freedombelle2001 wrote: When my job at 132nd West Center ended due to closing I was sent to 153rd Weir store for 3 weeks to help the verifier, they wanted me
I never understood why the 156th and Q store wasn't busier. It was one of the nicer of the Bag N Saves.
I understand fully! The people in this end of town are way to smart to waste their time shopping at Bag N Save and No Frills. I predicted from day 1 that No Frills on 132nd and Center and Bag N Save would be totally boycotted out here in SW Omaha. I know people for god knows what reason like those rat holes(Bag N Save and No Frills) but Hy-Vee is heaven compared to them and only costs nickels and dimes more. I remember when they were building Cub Foods at 153 Weir back in the early 90's. I told everybody "Hey I'm just the village idiot but a warehouse grocery store like Cub Foods is not going to fly out here in this neighborhood." I was right and Cub Foods was never shopped much and they closed down. At that time we had the Bakers on 136th Dearfield which had a produce section alone that took up half the store. Millard aside the previous owners of Bag N Save and No Frills took Nash Finch for a bad ride. The bad ride will keep getting worse and worse until finally the whole thing crashes once and for all. SuperSaver out here in Millard is on the hot seat now too. Supersaver is a hole in its own right to and the people out here rightfully so are about sick of it. I give Supersaver 5 more years max and it could close even in the next 2 years. Take grandpas advice and stick with Hy-Vee. :D

P.S- I have had Hy-Vee deliver my groceries to my front door about 8 or 9 times too. Let me tell you that don't suck! I go on their web site at 10PM at night and order some groceries and the guy in the Hy-Vee van is knocking at at my door with my groceries at 10AM the next morning. If you order 100 dollars worth or more delivery is free. I give the Hy-Vee delivery service a thumbs up for sure and more then likely thats the wave of the future.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

1. That shopping center at 153rd and Weir was built in 2000, not the early 90's: http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 2404467854

2. I worked at Baker's Deerfield for a little over four years, 1999-2003. Even before the store's decline, the produce section was never close to taking up half the floor space.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:1. That shopping center at 153rd and Weir was built in 2000, not the early 90's: http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 2404467854

2. I worked at Baker's Deerfield for a little over four years, 1999-2003. Even before the store's decline, the produce section was never close to taking up half the floor space.
I guess my career was not going quite as bad as yours for I sure was not working in grocery stores in 1999 thank goodness :P If you worked at that Bakers for 4 years I guarantee we have seen each other a hundred times! I apologize if you were ever my bagger and I did not give you a tip. Even though my career was a little better then that of a grocery boy I still was not to the point where I was tossing tips around. :lafcry:
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

jessep28 wrote:I never understood why the 156th and Q store wasn't busier. It was one of the nicer of the Bag N Saves.
Really? I think it's one of the worst.

I'm really curious what would even go into a building of this size. If not a church or a gym, then maybe some kind of medical/doctor's office. Perhaps they can split it into 3 bays.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I never understood why the 156th and Q store wasn't busier. It was one of the nicer of the Bag N Saves.
Really? I think it's one of the worst.

I'm really curious what would even go into a building of this size. If not a church or a gym, then maybe some kind of medical/doctor's office. Perhaps they can split it into 3 bays.
At one time this may have been "one of the nicer" but not any longer.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hopefully a grocery store worth its salt will move in to replace it.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I believe the Blondo store is now closed. Went by Monday night and it looked like the lights were off.

Word on the street is that Harold Cooperman's daughter still owns the building and has a long term lease with with SpartanNash. Apparently she is going to hold them to the lease so this may sit empty for a while...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The 80 something and Blondo store?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote:I believe the Blondo store is now closed. Went by Monday night and it looked like the lights were off.

Word on the street is that Harold Cooperman's daughter still owns the building and has a long term lease with with SpartanNash. Apparently she is going to hold them to the lease so this may sit empty for a while...
They started closing at 7 recently. I've heard March closing still
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ok, It was after 7. No too long after 7, but after 7.

Yes Coyote, 80th and Blondo
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Next up: Family Fare @ SE 108th & Maple (former Albertson's) will get a $830K upgrade...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:Next up: Family Fare @ SE 108th & Maple (former Albertson's) will get a $830K upgrade...
This one isnt in too bad of shape to begin with. 90th & Maple however....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Next up: Family Fare @ SE 108th & Maple (former Albertson's) will get a $830K upgrade...
Awesome, I have been waiting for this one. Hy-Vee on 132 and Dodge is too hard to get to over the lunch hour. 108th and maple will be a easy drive right up 108th.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bbinks wrote: 90th & Maple however....
Family Fare - SW 90th & Maple: $515K renovation.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
bbinks wrote: 90th & Maple however....
Family Fare - SW 90th & Maple: $515K renovation.
Place really needs it.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

80th and Blondo store is officially closed. Hopefully won't sit vacant for a long time, but I have a feeling it will be much like the old 72nd Baker's.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Busguy2010 wrote:80th and Blondo store is officially closed. Hopefully won't sit vacant for a long time, but I have a feeling it will be much like the old 72nd Baker's.
It should be interesting. Since all of the businesses in the plaza have the same No-Frills signage, I wonder what will happen with that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:80th and Blondo store is officially closed. Hopefully won't sit vacant for a long time, but I have a feeling it will be much like the old 72nd Baker's.
It should be interesting. Since all of the businesses in the plaza have the same No-Frills signage, I wonder what will happen with that.
I would hope that a store big enough to fill up the whole No Frills space would be able to ask for complete remodel of the plaza before they lease that space...

That said, My money is on a bulldozer pushing over the entire plaza.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'm betting on Cooperman's daughter just sitting on the lease until someone comes along and offers a truckload of money for the plaza.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Another Bucky's or QT with a nice car wash would accommodate that parcel well.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bbinks wrote:Another Bucky's or QT with a nice car wash would accommodate that parcel well.
Its getting harder and harder to tell if this a joke or not.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but considering the trend lately, I could see a Bucky's happening. Probably taking up 1/2 the lot.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote:I would hope that a store big enough to fill up the whole No Frills space would be able to ask for complete remodel of the plaza before they lease that space...

That said, My money is on a bulldozer pushing over the entire plaza.
Yeah, I've lived in the neighborhood all my life and it has steadily gone downhill (many older, established owners have moved away or died and replaced by young renters, more crime. Over-all, replacements are lower quality, though a few young families have purchased homes :D ). Blondo itself really isn't that busy, plus with a lack of a major cross street, I don't see much of anything commercial happening. My hope is it does get razed and someone builds some mid range apartments and a Bucky's haha.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

In 2011, my wife and I bought a foreclosed house about 5 minutes walk north of that plaza. We went to the NoFrills occasionally, but not often. We like Aldi, and the fact that the NoFrills frequently had a cop in it was a little disconcerting.

We love the house and we like the area, but in the last 2 years, our house and two of our neighbors have been broken into, our cars in the driveway have been opened and rifled through, and our neighbors had their license plates stolen. There have been drive-by shootings in the afternoon, horrific rape/murders within a quarter mile, and other shootings, police chases, etc.

I've lived in war zones before, and I know things aren't perfect in "West Omaha(tm)". But with a one year-old now, we are looking at a 3-5 year timeline to move out, and if something else significantly negative happens, that's going to accelerate.

What does that have to do with the NoFrills at 80th and Blondo?

That plaza is done for. Keno night will make it look busy occasionally, and Pho Viet's food is really pretty good for the price, but there is nothing that I can think of that will go into the space that will last. Family Dollar/Dollar General/Dollar Tree are all already in the area with better locations or new buildings, no grocery will want to go in if NoFrills couldn't make it there, and what else is left? A gym or a call center or something like that? Parking lot isn't really big enough for either of those. Westlake and Lowes are close enough that no hardware store will go in there, the Nazarene church up the hill has been looking to sell for a year or three, so I can't see a church taking over.

And especially if the plaza owner is going to hold SpartanNash to the lease and nothing moves in there for a year or two, it's going to totally kill the plaza from a retail perspective. They'd need to transition to a commercial space, which would necessarily require probably half a million in investment (new signage, parking lot, significant interior work), and I can't see that happening.

Makes me sad for our little corner of Omaha.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

The Bag N Save at 144th and Center is now under construction. There is a map of the future plan as you walk into the west entrance. There will be a larger beer/wine area (by eliminating the old pharmacy area), self checkout lanes and a Starbucks.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Vinton Square's (Bakers) No Frills will finally get a Family Fare $300k renovation.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

That store needs more like $3mil in remodel! I'm in there 2x a month & it's in really bad shape
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:That store needs more like $3mil in remodel! I'm in there 2x a month & it's in really bad shape
I go there every so often, just because. That Square has so much potential, I was also surprised that KTC LLC (Thomas J. Clark) was only spending chump change here.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Back in my Baker's days, I remember going to Vinton Square once in the to help clean up dairy cases after a power outage for extra hours. That place was a dump back in the early 2000's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Better looking that the old Albertson't carport, but still un-inspiring...

1. Harvey Oaks Family Fare
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, is that the finished look? I am sure any of us could come up with something better than that.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That's just awful.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, is that the finished look? I am sure any of us could come up with something better than that.
Yep, 108& Q, 108& Maple, and 144& Center all look the same, I believe.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Yeah. And inside they moved the products around, painted the walls, and vacated the old liquor section of the building.

It was basically a wash and paint remodel. Nothing really changed. It's still like Albertson's left it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Yeah. And inside they moved the products around, painted the walls, and vacated the old liquor section of the building.

It was basically a wash and paint remodel. Nothing really changed. It's still like Albertson's left it.
Wondered why they have all vacated the liquor store. Everything I read, that's a huge money maker for stores and places like HyVee keep adding larger and larger liquor stores.