Mega Saver (Multiple Omaha Locations)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So I have noticed multiple of the TP4L locations got a fresh coat of paint and big "Mega Saver" signs.  Did they get bought out or are just decide to go with a less trashy sounding name?  Either way they look better than they did before.
Last edited by iamjacobm on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Mega Saver (Multiple Omaha Locations)

Post by jessep28 »

I'm not aware that the company has been sold. They are probably just updating the brand. The store on 108th and Maple was built as a Mega Saver.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Where the Runza was is gone as well as the property next to it, there is a big hole with pipes coming up smack in the middle.  Anyone know what is going there?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was on Grow Omaha last Saturday, but I can't remember what they said...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It was in the Future clear for only one of area Borders sites article in the OWH:
Barbara Soderlin, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Runza out, Mega Saver in

A Runza and a carwash at the corner of Northwest Radial and Hamilton Street have been demolished to make way for a gas station and convenience store.

The Mega Saver gas station will have at least 12 pumps and a Cricket wireless store, said Farrukh Rakhimov, vice president of the family-owned business that operates Tobacco & Phones 4 Less stores and gas stations around Omaha.

Rakhimov said all the 15 Tobacco & Phones 4 Less locations will be transitioned to the Mega Saver name.
camy2511
New to the Neighborhood

Post by camy2511 »

Does anyone know whats going up at 120th & Pacific?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There are just demo permits at that intersection for now.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
debradomayer
Library Board

Re: 120th & Pacific

Post by debradomayer »

camy2511 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 am Does anyone know whats going up at 120th & Pacific?
If you mean the southwest corner, it's going to be a Kum & Go or a QT.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mega Saver
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 amMega Saver
If you are correct then let's all pray they put in another European deli and not a cell phone store in the station. Gas station perogis are surprisingly tasty.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...
I'm going to miss those rugs...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:18 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Glad to see something go into that parcel.. It’s been empty for a couple of years now...
Agreed! Drove by that spot a gazzilion times.. Always thought I should have stopped and bought something :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm
Agreed! Drove by that spot a gazzilion times.. Always thought I should have stopped and bought something :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Whaaaa? You never bought a Velvet Elvis???
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Whaaaa? You never bought a Velvet Elvis???
No, lol. But if you purchased one, I wouldn’t mind if you put it on display :banger: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The place we're talking about is where there was always the yard ornaments and windmill type stuff, right? If its a Mega Saver I will LOL because these used to be Tobacco & Phones for Less (TP4L as we called it) and are highly associated with ghetto areas.

Mega Saver has a good model and they are definitely working their way out. So good for them.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
I believe the guy who owns Mega Saver is Russian or Eastern Bloc.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 am The place we're talking about is where there was always the yard ornaments and windmill type stuff, right?
Yep. That’s the place.. Along with rugs, etc...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

obvious2677 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 am The one on 42nd and Grover has a Russian and Baltic grocery store. We need some cherry perogis access in the hood. So come on Eastern European food. Don't need a T-Mobile burner store.
I don't know why but I always associate Mega Saver with cigaretters so I have never been to one. If I need gas I just drive by and look for a Kwik Shop, Kum and Go or something else.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am
I don't know why but I always associate Mega Saver with cigaretters so I have never been to one. If I need gas I just drive by and look for a Kwik Shop, Kum and Go or something else.

Greg
You’ve given me an idea for a new topic in the General Forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Greg S wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 am

Greg
Funny, I would go to Mega Saver just to get that green pop, Surge. I was hooked on it, and they sold it. I like it better than Mountain Dew. (Now, I hardly drink pop, even diet pop, to keep weight off...) Anyways, one time I stopped for gas, at one in West Omaha, and I stood in line going on for 10 minutes, waiting to pay for my gas, and finally I burst out "Excuse me... Can I just pay for my gas?" (The situation was so odd & testing, it almost felt like one of those "Punked" episodes.) These poor 2 girl workers were pulled between deli orders, and selling cell phones, and they couldnt even get to the gas line. This lady, who was shopping for a cell phone with her husband, turned around and said to me in a snotty tone: "Oh my gosh, you're so rude. You're whats wrong with America." And, I said back something like: "Umm...nobody stops at a gas station and has to wait to pay for their gas in a line that is not moving for almost 10 minutes, while a couple shops & asks questions about different cell phone models. Really?! Thats not normal. Nobody has time for that." Then, I think I told the girls as I was paying "I am sorry. It is not your fault. They need more people working in here with a gas station, a deli, and a cell phone shop." My comment made them jump to, and our gas line cleared up fast -- because I had sense & logic on my side. Because of the wacky experience, I dont think I ever went back there for gas again. I like them, though, and all. They have an interesting mix of stuff, it feels refreshingly different, and they are often really nice... ***Ugh, I cannot stand women that I can tell pull their husbands around "on a leash", and are "the boss", especially ones that dont work, and especially ones that have no hesitation to butt in and say some snotty comment to me. They learn quickly I am not the same type of "weak man" as their husband, and I have no problem standing up to them.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Mega Saver (120th & Pacific)

Post by Coyote »

This Mega Saver will also be a drive thru where you can pick up a meal and drinks.
Same with the new Mega Saver on 72nd St.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:27 pm This Mega Saver will also be a drive thru where you can pick up a meal and drinks.
I believe many of their existing stores have them too. I know 60th and Grover, 42 and Dodge and the newish store on Saddlecreek and Hamilton all have drive through windows.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:37 pm
Coyote wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:27 pm This Mega Saver will also be a drive thru where you can pick up a meal and drinks.
I believe many of their existing stores have them too. I know 60th and Grover, 42 and Dodge and the newish store on Saddlecreek and Hamilton all have drive through windows.
They have a drive thru now? I can just picture people saying in the speaker: "Yeah, I'll take a sandwich, a soda, some incense, some perfume, and a cell phone." (Kidding). I just hope they have plenty of workers. Let's hope...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RockHarbor wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm They have a drive thru now? I can just picture people saying in the speaker: "Yeah, I'll take a sandwich, a soda, some incense, some perfume, and a cell phone." (Kidding). I just hope they have plenty of workers. Let's hope...
I don't think they have a speaker, I think its all order at the window. I have never been as a customer. I was a passenger in a car that stopped for a Redbull once.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 pm
RockHarbor wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm They have a drive thru now? I can just picture people saying in the speaker: "Yeah, I'll take a sandwich, a soda, some incense, some perfume, and a cell phone." (Kidding). I just hope they have plenty of workers. Let's hope...
I don't think they have a speaker, I think its all order at the window. I have never been as a customer. I was a passenger in a car that stopped for a Redbull once.
Yeah. It’s an order at the window from what I recall..

Like I said a week or so ago, it’s nice to see something of substance going up at this parcel..that’s been dead as a door nail for nearly 2 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Really? Seems like those giant metal animals were just there last summer?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Brad wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 pm Really? Seems like those giant metal animals were just there last summer?
They were. The gas station that was there never competed with Andersen's and the mechanic shop that took over the space never seemed to get off the ground. I live in the area and never got the sense that they marketed very well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:55 pm
Brad wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 pm Really? Seems like those giant metal animals were just there last summer?
They were. The gas station that was there never competed with Andersen's and the mechanic shop that took over the space never seemed to get off the ground. I live in the area and never got the sense that they marketed very well.
Yeah.. Agreed. I live in the area too. I drive right past that parcel every morning on the way to work. As strange as it sounds, it’s almost as if the owners of that mechanic shop intended for it to NOT do business/succeed. Even positive experience, word of mouth, would bring repeat customers back in who are loyal to the business. I’m sure this was not the case, but it was an odd happenstance imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

As long as that Broncos is not closing I think this area is going to be alright. Now if Broncos closes lives will be destroyed. The world as some once knew it would never be the same. The suicide rate in the area would spike. God forbid the day Broncos ever closes. We now return you to your Mega Saver commercial.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I almost felt that way when the Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) closed at the same location as Broncos..

Broncos has one of the best Tenderloin sandwiches in Omaha. They used to have the best french fries back in the day.. This said, I haven’t ate at that Broncos location in probably 8 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm I almost felt that way when the Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) closed at the same location as Broncos..

Broncos has one of the best Tenderloin sandwiches in Omaha. They used to have the best french fries back in the day.. This said, I haven’t ate at that Broncos location in probably 8 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Their chicken easily beats KFC and most other places I have eaten at. The fries are still tasty. Never knew that BR had a store there. That was before my time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm I almost felt that way when the Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) closed at the same location as Broncos..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Their chicken easily beats KFC and most other places I have eaten at. The fries are still tasty. Never knew that BR had a store there. That was before my time.
The last time I had fries at Broncos they were so greasy, I couldn’t finish them. I’ve heard good things about their fried chicken.. I’ll have to give that a try someday..

And regarding Baskin Robbins, yep, they had a store which was at the strip parcel basically right next to where the Broncos is today. They were there through most of the 80’s.. but I think around 1990 or the early 90’s, that location closed..

In any case, let’s hope this new Mega Saver brings some life back to the 120th and Pacific intersection...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

That lot seems small for the typical Mega Saver.

I can't recall the family's name that had the Phillips 66, but used their shop for repairs a few times. Jimmy was his first name.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

6015 SF convenience store.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bbinks wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm That lot seems small for the typical Mega Saver.

I can't recall the family's name that had the Phillips 66, but used their shop for repairs a few times. Jimmy was his first name.
I got my first oil change there with my first car I bought in the 70's because of their reputation.
Brad
City Council

Re: Mega Saver (87th and Maple)

Post by Brad »

Update on this location...

Denny's, Sprigs, Charlies on the Creek, (Demolition) Quick Trip, and now a mega saver.

Someone on Twitter said the former QT Kitchen area now displays bongs and paraphernalia.

Seems strange QT bailed on a location that they seemingly dumped a lot of money in to over the years, and on my occasional visits, the placed seemed busy.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That is extremely weird they would ditch that location. As you said it was always busy and in a pretty desirable location.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So this is a little weird. All the Quik Trip locations are owned by "QUIKTRIP CORPORATION" or something along those lines.

12/13/2007 "QUIKTRIP CORPORATION" purchased the land for the Maple location.
6/3/2008 "QUIKTRIP CORPORATION" Sold the property to "Pied Creek"
3/14/2014 "Pied Creek" sold the property to "RODDIMEYER III LLC"

Google "RODDIMEYER III LLC" and it turns out its owned by Tennis Star Andy Roddick... WTH?
https://moneyinc.com/andy-roddick-business-growth/
Andy ventured into real estate with the help of his business partner Phil Meyers, and together they established Roddimeyer III LLC which is listed as a foreign limited liability company headquartered in Paradise Valley Arizona.