Travel and Transport

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Travel and Transport

Post by BRoss »

Travel and Transport buys N.Y. agency
Ross Boettcher, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Travel and Transport, the Omaha-based corporate travel agency, announced Tuesday that it has agreed to acquire Ultramar, a competing firm based in New York City.

The move solidifies Travel and Transports position as the fifth-largest travel agency in the United States and strengthens the company’s ability to negotiate prices with major airlines with significant operations in New York, including Delta, United, and American Airlines.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I had no idea Travel and Transport was that large.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I had no idea Travel and Transport was that large.
Me either!  They must fly under the radar a lot.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

According to the Travel and Transport website, they generate over a $1 billion in sales a year.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:
They do a ton of corporate travel
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
Brad's got jokes
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Brad wrote:
Brad's got jokes
I love it.  Classic Bradimal.  Almost not a joke.

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

He also does a pretty convincing Omar from the HBO program "The Wire".
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:He also does a pretty convincing Omar from the HBO program "The Wire".
The Deanzie needs details.
ita
County Board

Re: Travel and Transport

Post by ita »

Omaha-based Travel and Transport sells for $200 million
Omaha-based Travel and Transport, founded locally nearly 75 years ago, is charting a new course after seeing travel activity plummet during the pandemic.

The company that started this year with 1,800 employees worldwide is being sold for about $200 million to an Australian competitor that also has global reach.

Among the good news is their joint North American headquarters will be located in the familiar Travel and Transport (T&T) office tower at 72nd Street and Mercy Road, though under a different brand.

Several of the T&T executives also are to remain on board to help lead the bigger, blended travel management operations serving North America.

And Omaha is to gain an expanded tech hub in the sale to Corporate Travel Management (CTM), said Kevin O’Malley, T&T chairman and chief executive who now becomes CEO of CTM’s North America arm.
Last year, CTM’s North American sales volume reached $1.2 billion, while T&T did about $2.4 billion in the same area. Total worldwide sales between the two was reportedly $7.6 billion that year.
At some point, Omahans will see a change in the Travel and Transport sign that since the 1990s has been atop the 15-story 72nd Street and Mercy Road tower.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sad to see another home grown company be sold.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am Sad to see another home grown company be sold.
This looks like one of the biggest pandemic take downs of one of our local businesses that we have seen yet. With the pandemic looking to go on strong well into next year the travel industry could be pretty sketchy for at least the next 2 years. You can't blame them one bit for selling out and taking the 200 million.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:16 am Sad to see another home grown company be sold.
This looks like one of the biggest pandemic take downs of one of our local businesses that we have seen yet. With the pandemic looking to go on strong well into next year the travel industry could be pretty sketchy for at least the next 2 years. You can't blame them one bit for selling out and taking the 200 million.
I agree. I think there was an article in the OWH early on in the pandemic about the difficulties they were having. Hopefully, any promises made in the buyout to keep workers in Omaha will be promises kept. It will be weird to see the building signage change; not having lived here for very long, that is the Travel and Transport building.