The La Vista Metropolitan Area

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

The La Vista Metropolitan Area

Post by NovakOmaha »

I read in the local monopoly fishwrap tonight that "LaVista's Securities America" acquired another company.  This is petty and not terribly important but I thought it was funny that now it's "La Vista's" Securities America, like LaVista is a major part of the metro.  I know LaVista has grown quite a bit and with selective annexation it snaked its way out to I-80, but LaVista was a subdivision in the beginning, designed by one of Streets favorite kind of developers...clear cut, bulldoze and build identicals...

Would it have been too confusing to refer to the company simply as "Securities America"?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Re: The La Vista Metropolitan Area

Post by ricko »

NovakOmaha wrote:I read in the local monopoly fishwrap tonight that "LaVista's Securities America" acquired another company.  This is petty and not terribly important but I thought it was funny that now it's "La Vista's" Securities America, like LaVista is a major part of the metro.  I know LaVista has grown quite a bit and with selective annexation it snaked its way out to I-80, but LaVista was a subdivision in the beginning, designed by one of Streets favorite kind of developers...clear cut, bulldoze and build identicals...

Would it have been too confusing to refer to the company simply as "Securities America"?
It's that smug, LaVista chauvinism rearing its ugly head.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

LaVista is the city equivalent of Millard Public Schools.  Taking on a bunch of ground that other cities didnt want.  Now,we see LaVista is the largest city in Sarpy.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

La Vista is no where close to being the largest city in Sarpy.... what?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This entire thread sucks.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Axel wrote:La Vista is no where close to being the largest city in Sarpy.... what?
Largest city in land area in Sarpy.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sarpy cities in Bold

1.   Omaha, NE 454,731
2.   Lincoln, NE 254,001
3.   Bellevue, NE  51,044
4.   Grand Island, NE 46,861
5.   Kearney, NE 30,744
6.   Hastings, NE 25,370
7.   Fremont, NE 25,007
8.   North Platte 24,137
9.   Norfolk, NE 23,272
10.  Columbus, NE 21,914
11.  Papillion 19,431
12.  La Vista 16,887
13.  Scottsbluff 14,886
14.  Chalco 12,749
15.  Beatrice, NE 12,564
16.  South Sioux City 12,213
17.  Lexington, NE 10,275
18.  Offutt AFB 8,037
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I didn't think that Chalco was a real city/town/village/whatever.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Omababe wrote:I didn't think that Chalco was a real city/town/village/whatever.
It's not, only has a designation because of the cencus. Otherwise, I believe it is City of Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wikipedia wrote:Chalco is a census-designated place (CDP) in northern Sarpy County, Nebraska, United States, directly south of and adjacent to Omaha. The population was 10,994 at the 2010 census.
My guess is that it was some sort of railroad facility way back in the day that had a small population associated with it.

I believe that LaVista is the Only city in Nebraska that was not formed along a railroad line.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:It's not, only has a designation because of the cencus. Otherwise, I believe it is City of Omaha.
Its post office is Omaha, but it's in Sarpy County so the City of Omaha has no control over it.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The original point to the post was my Omaha-centric idea that La Vista is part of the Omaha Metro and I found it funny that the local monopoly fishwrap chose to refer to the company as "La Vista"-based.  

As a matter of fact I find the local monopoly fishwrap funny
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:
S33 wrote:It's not, only has a designation because of the cencus. Otherwise, I believe it is City of Omaha.
Its post office is Omaha, but it's in Sarpy County so the City of Omaha has no control over it.
Except for that 3 mile zoning rule.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:
I think that only applies to Douglas County.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:My guess is that it was some sort of railroad facility way back in the day that had a small population associated with it.
I've been by there a number of times. There's a grain elevator, remnants of other businesses, and a few homes off to the north side of the street, whose streets do not connect with any of the surrounding subdivisions. I would expect there to be a hole in the wall bar, but if it's there, it's not obvious. :)

They tell me (the ubiquitous "they") that there used to be Saturday morning passenger train service from Chalco to Lincoln on game days.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:They tell me (the ubiquitous "they") that there used to be Saturday morning passenger train service from Chalco to Lincoln on game days.
I know for a fact that the CB&Q Railroad ran Big Red Specials that went through Chalco, but I am not sure if they stopped there.  I have a book about Omaha and CB Railroads that has a photo of that special train.  For some reason I think its in Ralston, but I would need to look.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Nope, when I was growing up just a few blocks south of Harrison in the Chalco area, I had to pay the Omaha wheel tax and we had to license our pets with Omaha.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Was a water stop on the CB&Q railroad.   It was a very small village on the south side of Millard.   Most of the people who lived there in the 60's and 70's used Millard schools, etc.   A couple of my friends in school lived there.   The feedlot and grain mill sold dog food, and lawn/garden stuff as well as grain, etc.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

jessep28 wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Nope, when I was growing up just a few blocks south of Harrison in the Chalco area, I had to pay the Omaha wheel tax and we had to license our pets with Omaha.
Those have nothing to do with zoning.  ETJ is Douglas co only.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

bigredmed wrote:
Axel wrote:La Vista is no where close to being the largest city in Sarpy.... what?
Largest city in land area in Sarpy.
Not true either. La Vista is 3.5 square miles, Bellevue is 16 square miles, and Papillion is 6.5 square miles.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC