NFM Texas

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

NFM Texas

Post by NovakOmaha »

Here's the link to the Nebraska Furniture Mart Texas development.  Makes the Omaha campus look backward, but hey, they are redoing a little office building in Omaha.  

http://www.grandscape.com/#top
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Didn't we have a whole thread on this or was it int he regular NFM Thread?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:Didn't we have a whole thread on this or was it int he regular NFM Thread?
There may be one but I didn't think to look til you mentioned it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ok, I can't find it anywhere, but I am sure we talked about  it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: NFM Texas

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:Makes the Omaha campus look backward, but hey, they are redoing a little office building in Omaha.
Not that it would happen, but it would be really interesting if the Crossroads developers and NFM could join forces and basically take the entire NW and SW corners of 72nd and Dodge are re do them.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Makes the Omaha campus look backward, but hey, they are redoing a little office building in Omaha.
Not that it would happen, but it would be really interesting if the Crossroads developers and NFM could join forces and basically take the entire NW and SW corners of 72nd and Dodge are re do them.
I guess when you own over 70% of the market you really don't have much motivation to invest one more cent than you have to to improve.  Put another way, the profit is in Texas.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

NovakOmaha wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
I guess when you own over 70% of the market you really don't have much motivation to invest one more cent than you have to to improve.  Put another way, the profit is in Texas.
Without what ther is in Omaha there would be no NFM in KC, or Desmoins, or Texas.  It is the nature of being first and growing to support the initial growth of the store.  If omaha was location 2 or 3 or whatever it would look completly difforent and most likly Omaha would not land a store of the sice of NFM's current Omaha size.  Lets just be glad it is a Nebraska and an Omaha company.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This place could double as an airport hanger!

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, that is impressive. I wish they would revamp the outside of the buildings in Omaha to make them look a little more appealing. The KC exterior looks much better.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Good grief. This place is staggering.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... fw-by.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a couple of recent photos:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Texas-sized Furniture Mart store can fit 3 Walmart Supercenters inside
The two-story, $400 million store, with its attached warehouse, is about 40 percent completed and has taken two years to build. Store officials declined to reveal a precise opening date.
A four-story attached garage has 2,200 parking spaces and allows customers to enter on both floors. An additional 2,000 spots are available on surface lots.
A 1.3-million-square-foot distribution center is attached, where customers can pick up their purchases.
The store will have 100,000 pieces of furniture, flooring, appliances and electronics, all set up by category. A shopper looking to outfit a “man cave” can find pool tables and other gaming items together. If you’re shopping for a recliner, you’ll have 165 to choose from, as well as 110 bedroom sets.
Nebraska Furniture Mart has offered jobs to more than 2,000 people at the store but expects to hire an additional 300. Training started in December, with about 60 sales associates a week going through what Lipsett called a miniature university.
Employees will man 65 cash registers, but associates can also complete a credit card sale using tablets, Lipsett said.
Store executives expect much larger crowds than at its busy Kansas City location, which can draw 12,000 shoppers on a weekend day, Lipsett said.
The retailer has said it expects to draw about 8 million shoppers a year, some from hundreds of miles away.
I also checked for comparison to see what the average size of an IKEA is and they are typically from 200,000 sq ft to 450,000 sq ft--the average size is approximately 320,000 sq ft. So this store is going to be over 1.5 times larger than the average IKEA.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

And a few more pictures:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

You know, I used to think we were missing out on not having sufficient population to have an IKEA. I think it was mentioned in another thread that they look for cities with 1-1.5 million people. But I hear running jokes about how craptastic their furniture is.

Truth is I'll take NFM over IKEA any day of the week.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

RNcyanide wrote:You know, I used to think we were missing out on not having sufficient population to have an IKEA. I think it was mentioned in another thread that they look for cities with 1-1.5 million people. But I hear running jokes about how craptastic their furniture is.

Apples vs oranges. There is a place for both.

Ikea just opened in KC. The thing about NFM in Omaha is that they ran off almost all competition and that means that Omahans had to buy what NFM decided to sell. Yes their prices are low but they are the only game in town. And yes the potential competition made the choice not to enter the market but the fact is that without significant competition NFM has no incentive to improve their store in Omaha to the standards of KC and Dallas. This is all just my opinion of course.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have been to the IKEAs in Chicago and Minneapolis and always tell people when comparing them, that NFM has some crappy stuff but they also have some higher end selections for electronics and furniture, while pretty much everything IKEA sells is crappy. ( I also don't think IKEA has electronics)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NovakOmaha wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:You know, I used to think we were missing out on not having sufficient population to have an IKEA. I think it was mentioned in another thread that they look for cities with 1-1.5 million people. But I hear running jokes about how craptastic their furniture is.

Apples vs oranges.  There is a place for both.

Ikea just opened in KC.  The thing about NFM in Omaha is that they ran off almost all competition and that means that Omahans had to buy what NFM decided to sell.  Yes their prices are low but they are the only game in town.  And  yes the potential competition made the choice not to enter the market but the fact is that without significant competition NFM has no incentive to improve their store in Omaha to the standards of KC and Dallas.  This is all just my opinion of course.
Yeah I've always wondered about the quality of the store itself vs. their other locations. I don't remember when but they did remodel their electronics area a while back (that's really the only part of the store I visit).
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

‘Well-prepared’ in Texas: Nebraska Furniture Mart aims to avoid repeating problems found in Kansas store opening

http://www.omaha.com/money/well-prepare ... 16ed6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“Kansas City: What were you guys thinking?”

That’s the name of the playbook Blumkin put together, hoping to avoid repeating the past, after the Kansas City, Kansas, store opened in 2003 to a mob scene of shoppers without the staff, facilities or warehouse space to meet the demand.

Blumkin said the Mart’s first mistake in opening the Kansas City store in 2003 was underestimating the size of the market.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

And the Omaha store continues to be an embarrassment. Clearly the Omaha market is so dominated by NFM that if another store came to town Omahans would still shop at the embarrassment, not realizing that NFM considers KC & Dallas and really even DSM to be worthy of nicer stores.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Unless they were to build in a different location, I don't think it would be very feasible to revamp the entire store more than they already have, since it would probably limit their sales when they have to demo/remodel and stuff. It might not be as nice as the other places, but it's also a lot older too. I like it for what it is and where it's come since I first remember seeing the giant TV wall playing music videos over the CD section when I was little.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:Unless they were to build in a different location, I don't think it would be very feasible to revamp the entire store more than they already have, since it would probably limit their sales when they have to demo/remodel and stuff. It might not be as nice as the other places, but it's also a lot older too. I like it for what it is and where it's come since I first remember seeing the giant TV wall playing music videos over the CD section when I was little.
Looking at Google Earth, it just dawned on me that NFM could buy the land north of the current store, bounded by Jones-Farnam-72nd-74th (already own Mrs.B's) and build a new Omaha store similar to the new 2-story Dallas store....all while the existing store remains open and the fairly new warehouse stays in use well into the future. Sounds logical to me. Then they'd have the land to the south where the current store is to sell or develop into their corporate offices for all of the other Dallas-sized stores they'll build in Denver, MPLS, Houston, Indianapolis, etc.

Looking at the Crossroads site, I don't think it would be big enough for NFM and other anchors without losing Target, etc., plus they'd be too far away from the warehouse/customer pick-up. I agree, they have too much recent investment in their current campus to move somewhere else in Omaha.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Just to play devil's advocate. Even with the recent investments set aside, why would they build new in Omaha when with what they have they control the market.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:Just to play devil's advocate. Even with the recent investments set aside, why would they build new in Omaha when with what they have they control the market.
Exactly. And I might be in the minority but the store here in Omaha is pretty nice I think, whenever I buy stuff it is really quick to check out and pick up outside.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Linkin5 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Just to play devil's advocate. Even with the recent investments set aside, why would they build new in Omaha when with what they have they control the market.
Exactly. And I might be in the minority but the store here in Omaha is pretty nice I think, whenever I buy stuff it is really quick to check out and pick up outside.
You're both right. I'm just thinking 10-20 years down the road assuming their existing hodge-podge of buildings becomes more of a nightmare to maintain and they could have more of a state-of-the art, energy-efficient, consumer-friendly, shiny new store for Nebraskans & Iowans, in their home town. But, I don't mind shopping there at all now. The products they sell are really what counts.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
You're both right. I'm just thinking 10-20 years down the road assuming their existing hodge-podge of buildings becomes more of a nightmare to maintain and they could have more of a state-of-the art, energy-efficient, consumer-friendly, shiny new store for Nebraskans & Iowans, in their home town. But, I don't mind shopping there at all now. The products they sell are really what counts.

Sure beats IKEA.

The Bride
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'd rather save more money on furniture than pay more to buy it out of a fancy store. As long as it's well-maintained and clean, which everything indoors is, I don't see a need to remodel anything.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Seth wrote:I'd rather save more money on furniture than pay more to buy it out of a fancy store. As long as it's well-maintained and clean, which everything indoors is, I don't see a need to remodel anything.
Thus no need for them to remodel, ever. You speak for the majority of the Marts Omaha customers. That isn't a flame. Its a fact.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The oooooooone area I think they could maybe change is the bargain cave just beyond the cash registers. The warehouse look of it kind of looks weird there. Maybe they could have that in a different part of the store.

The Bride
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

As Omaha is the "flagship", part of me thought we should keep the warehouses in there currently place, turn Ms. B's into more warehouse space. Demo current NFM, create a new Ms. B's. (with strip mall or hotel) then build an all new flagship in the crossroads development. Just a thought.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Or, they could continue offering a wide variety quality products at a competitive price with friendly and knowledgeable customer service - just as they've done since day one. That'll beat a fancy new store any day of the week.

NFM shilling done.

The Bride
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I'd dig a new place... It's nice but am sure they can successfully build a new one without sacrificing price
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lanoha Development developing a 345 unit apartment building on this campus.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, as they say, everything is always bigger in Texas...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!