Centurylink gigabit service in Omaha

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Centurylink gigabit service in Omaha

Post by NovakOmaha »

This is big news.  Doesn't have the sex appeal of Google news-wise, but from the sounds of it there won't be the hoop-jumping that has taken place in KC.  It may not have as long a timetable as KC either.  Nor will your service rely on a percentage of your neighbors adopting.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130501/M ... et-service

http://shop.centurylink.com/customerSer ... omahafiber
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

CenturyLink creates buzz by bringing Omaha 1 gigabit-per-second Internet service
By Barbara Soderlin
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Omaha will join a short list of cities with ultra-fast Internet service when CenturyLink launches a pilot project that will bring speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second to 48,000 homes and businesses.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130501/M ... et-service
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

This is big news.  Doesn't have the sex appeal of Google news-wise, but from the sounds of it there won't be the hoop-jumping that has taken place in KC.  It may not have as long a timetable as KC either.  Nor will your service rely on a percentage of your neighbors adopting.

http://shop.centurylink.com/customerSer ... omahafiber
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Very interesting that it is also going in the Highline. I wonder if that will carry over into any other NuStyle developments. All of a sudden I'm getting the desire to move.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is very cool.  There are like 10 cities in the country with this right now.  Also some really good timing with Big Omaha happening this weekend, I am sure the news will impress the out of towners.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very good news to hear, hopefully they continue to expand the service throughout Omaha. According to story it will be $79.95 per month when bundled with other CenturyLink services or $149.95 by itself.  The 1 gigabyte speed is more than 6 times faster than the fastest current speed for Cox.  The Kansas City Star reporte one user with their Google 1 gigabyte internet uploaded 20-30,000 photos and some videos in an hour.  Something that would have taken them around a week with their prior internet service.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Right now they are only going to commit to West O, correct?  Looks like nothing east of 680?  I remember their predecessor, US West/Qwest doing that with cable.  They cherry picked West O and never went East of 680.....

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Greg S wrote:Right now they are only going to commit to West O, correct?  Looks like nothing east of 680?  I remember their predecessor, US West/Qwest doing that with cable.  They cherry picked West O and never went East of 680.....

Greg
Yeah, that's because there's fiber optic cable already there.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully they eventually go east.  I just remember them starting in almost the exact location for their cable "test" and never expanding.  They still offer it out there.  

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Some people have commented that North Downtown is going to be a goal for expansion because of the tech presence already there.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

jessep28 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Right now they are only going to commit to West O, correct?  Looks like nothing east of 680?  I remember their predecessor, US West/Qwest doing that with cable.  They cherry picked West O and never went East of 680.....

Greg
Yeah, that's because there's fiber optic cable already there.
CenturyLink is burying all new fiber in the West Omaha areas served by TeleChoice.  Omaha was a test market for this product, and as things moved forward, they realized the platform they chose was wrong.  (Think choosing Beta over VHS, or DVD-HD over Blu-Ray.)  It was functional, but they couldn't get parts for it anymore.

So they are scrapping the old fiber optics (which were only run to the neighborhood boxes), and running all new fiber, including to the house.  TeleChoice used coax cable from the neighborhood box to the house.

They are doing West Omaha because the TeleChoice infrastructure is decaying, with all parts failing at various times.  They need to replace it, so they are starting there.  It sounds like CenturyLink wants to go city-wide with this, but that's going to take time to rewire the whole city.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Time will tell if they make the move East.

Greg
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

That's actually pretty cool and substantial development. I wish I had that down here for my HTPC setup.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

These projects take years to implement city wide.  Heck, Google Fiber has been around for nearly a year in Kansas City and there still are many areas without it.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kck/#header=check

Part of the reason that US West/Qwest never expanded it beyond West Omaha is that they didn't consider the project a success. They tried different technology in Denver and Phoenix, and then capped those projects as well.

CenturyLink has proven this technology in several other markets, and they seem much more committed to it.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

HskrFanMike wrote:These projects take years to implement city wide.  Heck, Google Fiber has been around for nearly a year in Kansas City and there still are many areas without it.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kck/#header=check

Part of the reason that US West/Qwest never expanded it beyond West Omaha is that they didn't consider the project a success. They tried different technology in Denver and Phoenix, and then capped those projects as well.

CenturyLink has proven this technology in several other markets, and they seem much more committed to it.
Hope they do a better job of marketing it than TeleChoice did.  Not much for services or channels.  They could have crushed Cox by setting a fair price for Internet and then unbundling their channels on TV.  I have Cox and recognize that more than half the channels I get, we never watch.   Would have kept my TeleChoice, but they just didn't support it or market it at all.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not sure if my neighborhood is a part of this or not.  We are definitely not a telechoice neighborhood, but Century Link has had a bunch of trucks in my neighborhood for at least a week.  They put a bunch of the flags down in my yard so I imagine they will be digging soon.  If we aren't a part of this they are doing something new.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Found out it is Cox doing the upgrade in my area.  I continue to live in an area of Omaha that Century Link/Qwest has ignored/chosen not to serve for cable or upgraded internet.

Greg
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Does anyone have the service?  I was curious what modem they are giving you to use.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Is there a map anywhere with areas that they're expanding service to, and estimated timelines?

I was a little surprised to see my in-laws down in Papillion were contacted about their Prism cable service (running over the gigabit network).  I'm right here in Westside, just to the east of the initial roll out area, and would love to see both the gigabit internet and cable service here in my neck of the woods.  

My understanding (secondhand) is that their contract states they have to cover x% of the households in the city, with x depending on uptake rates in currently served areas, so rollout plans will depend somewhat on how well received the service is elsewhere...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Is there a map anywhere with areas that they're expanding service to, and estimated timelines
Trenton and Jeff mentioned that there was a Centurylink store either opening soon just opened.  They could probably fill you in more.

EDIT:

15825 W Maple Rd
Omaha, NE 68116
(402) 431-4000

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

BPHusker wrote:Does anyone have the service?  I was curious what modem they are giving you to use.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Haha I lol'd :lafcry:
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Centurylink said this was going to be provided for the crossroads redevelopment. And as previously announced the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

[img
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

At 150th & Dodge, I'm scheduled to switch from TeleChoice to Prism on September 7th.  It's supposed to take several hours to move everything: TV, phone, internet.

I'm not getting the gigabit service; I'll slum it with 40k.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

We just  got cox 150mbps. Its pretty nice. Centurylink only has 80mbps in our neighborhood. Can wait to switch to prism once that comes to my neighborhood.
JayPak
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JayPak »

Slightly off topic, but how reliable and fast does Century Link's existing (DSL?) service work in Omaha east of I-680?  And what's the best deal out there for internet-only?  Right now I'm paying $56/month to Cox for a download speed range of 5-15 Mbps.  Service has been reliable.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Anyone switch from Cox to Prism? Or decide to stay with Cox?

Post by guy4omaha »

I was approached by a Rep from Prism tonight to switch to them from Cox. He's offering me some discounts for the first several months if I will make a decision by next week. Any of you make the switch already? What factors led you to switch? If you have had the install already, how do you like the service compared to what you had? If you decided to stay with Cox, what factors made you decide to stay?
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

is Prism another name for CenturyLink or is this something else?

If it is CenturyLink, one of my co-workers has it and he said its awesome!  Internet is super fast and the cable is really clear.  He also said no delay changing channels on the cable...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe Prism is the next stage up for CenturyLink's options above their generic channel selections - which now has Fox Sports 1...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

My sister and brother in law live in a PRISM area and have been waiting for months for them to activate it.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:is Prism another name for CenturyLink or is this something else?
Prism is their Cable TV service run over the gigabit fiber network.  So think VOIP, but for cable, not phone.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Just had CenturyLink Prism installed on Saturday.  So far so good.

It's all IP-based...so those old TV cables in the walls are no longer necessary.  The main box is hooked up via an ethernet cable to the router, while the other boxes in the house get the signal via Wifi.  Yep, that's right... Wifi.  I had three football games on in HD on Saturday; didn't notice any hiccups. (Since they were in different rooms, I couldn't watch them all simultaneously...)

Since it doesn't use traditional TV cables, you need a box for every TV.  If you have old TV's in the garage or bedroom that you watch analog programming on, you'll need a box unlike with Cox.

Prism's arrival in town forced Cox to drop their prices significantly, so everybody benefits even if you don't switch.  (Unless you already committed to one of Cox's multi-year commitments and you are stuck at a higher rate.)
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Sounds pretty good.. I am gonna let them finish getting the whole operation running smooth before I commit to a cable service that might still have some kinks to worked out.. how are the prices compared to Cox? Seems like from the commercials they are really preaching the bundled packages..
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I dont like having to pay for the two tvs I just have plugged into the wall.  Looks like I need to be calling Cox though as I would save 20 or 30 bucks even after paying for those boxes.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow its that much more?? Yikes they will have to figure something out if Cox drops their prices and squeezes ClinkPris
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice to have some real competition in the market.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Officially, they charge $8 for each box...but I've heard they've been extremely flexible about waiving that charge.  I got 3 TV's included at no extra charge.

So far so good with Prism.  The worst part of the deal so far is trying to figure out the channel numbers.
Coyote
City Council

Century Link's Bandwidth

Post by Coyote »

CenturyLink Deploys Calix in Omaha Gigabit Network Pilot
Calix E7-2 and 700GE ONTs Bring Gigabit Services to Homes and Businesses in Nebraska's Largest City

Calix, Inc. today announced that CenturyLink is deploying the Calix E7-2 Ethernet Service Access Platform (ESAP) and 700GE family of optical network terminals (ONTs) for CenturyLink's new gigabit fiber network in Omaha. This pilot deployment will connect homes and businesses with CenturyLink's new fiber access network, offering high-bandwidth data speeds of up to one gigabit per second (Gbps).

"Providing our customers with gigabit services 100 times faster than the average American download speed gives them the freedom to leverage the power of the Internet without bandwidth constraints," said Danny Pate, vice president and general manager of CenturyLink - Nebraska. "We are excited about the opportunities this Calix-enabled network has introduced to Omaha."