Gordman's Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Re: Gordman's Business News

Post by NovakOmaha »

Here's a bit more backstory to the Sun Capital Partners/Gordman's story. They didn't break any law but it sure makes them look like, well, Gordon Gecko.
It's from July of 2014 so it's not exactly new news.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2310075 ... t-downside
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

NovakOmaha wrote:Here's a bit more backstory to the Sun Capital Partners/Gordman's story. They didn't break any law but it sure makes them look like, well, Gordon Gecko.
It's from July of 2014 so it's not exactly new news.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2310075 ... t-downside

After reading that article....................Yes it was a version of the "Pump & Dump"

Theres good news though. They got a new super hero out there called the "Accountant" played by Ben Affleck whos cracking down on these corporate bad guys . I found that out last week when I rented "The Accountant" from Red Box. Don't watch that movie unless you want to be dumbed down back to the 3rd grade.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

KETV is reporting that the 450 jobs are currently threatened, but not eliminated. Granted, someone's going to have to come in and buy the company for them to be saved.

http://www.ketv.com/article/dmv-cracks- ... ng/9140562
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:KETV is reporting that the 450 jobs are currently threatened, but not eliminated. Granted, someone's going to have to come in and buy the company for them to be saved.

Unfortunately, that link is to a story about the DMV.. I'm not seeing the Gorman's story link currently on KETV's website.. Perhaps they took it down?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:KETV is reporting that the 450 jobs are currently threatened, but not eliminated. Granted, someone's going to have to come in and buy the company for them to be saved.

Unfortunately, that link is to a story about the DMV.. I'm not seeing the Gorman's story link currently on KETV's website.. Perhaps they took it down?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Hmm. That's odd. They must have.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Hmm. That's odd. They must have.
Odd indeed my friend.. This entire Gordman's fiasco has an odd feeling to it overall..

I remember when I was a kid, I used to walk to Richman-Gordman and buy 45 records for $0.99 cents a piece.. The memories...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writer:
Former CEO Jeff Gordman, Texas-based Stage Stores might bid for Gordmans stores
Former Gordmans Chief Executive Jeff Gordman filed court papers Monday saying he might want to buy the company founded by his great-grandfather.

His possible bid joins another possible one from Texas chain Stage Stores, which submitted paperwork to the court earlier Monday saying it might be interested in the bankrupt Omaha firm.
Headquarters would probably still be lost but...........
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

4 Gordmans stores in Omaha metro area to close, according to court documents

http://www.omaha.com/money/gordmans-sto ... d3920.html
Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Omaha metro area appears set to lose four Gordmans stores via the chain’s bankruptcy and partial liquidation, while locations in Council Bluffs, Lincoln, Fremont and Grand Island appear to have been spared.

Documents filed over the weekend in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Omaha contain a list of 48 closing stores. On it are the department store’s locations in Bellevue and Papillion, at Lakeside Hills Plaza and west of 144th Street and West Maple Road in Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Interesting that they are closing both the Bellevue and Papillion stores. There won't be any in the southern part of the metro.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Omaha metro is losing all of the Gordman's. Guess that makes sense to someone
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

debradomayer wrote:Omaha metro is losing all of the Gordman's. Guess that makes sense to someone
Race to the bottom. Between Amazon on the top and Dollar Tree on the bottom, is Gordman's really indespensible?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

debradomayer wrote:Omaha metro is losing all of the Gordman's. Guess that makes sense to someone
If it were me I'd can the stores that don't make money. I assume these don't. Simple as that.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:Interesting that they are closing both the Bellevue and Papillion stores. There won't be any in the southern part of the metro.

And their two West O stores, Lakeside and Maple. That Maple is almost new.

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Any guesses as to who may take over the new location on Maple?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

If you check the locations of other Stage retail stores, you'll notice they're virtually all in small/medium sized markets. It's as if they closed the Omaha stores just to stay with that strategy.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

NovakOmaha wrote:
If it were me I'd can the stores that don't make money. I assume these don't. Simple as that.
Stage wanted the landlords to lower the rent and the landlords didn't want to.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dang... $100,000 a month in rent for the Aksarben HQ!

Bankruptcy filings reveal Gordmans’ expenses, from wholesale product prices to monthly rent

http://www.omaha.com/money/bankruptcy-f ... d6e5a.html
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Gordmans is opening a new store in Omaha, its first here since its bankruptcy and sale last year

Opening in the gordman’s store out on maple street

https://www.omaha.com/money/gordmans-is ... 82095.html
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 pm Gordmans is opening a new store in Omaha, its first here since its bankruptcy and sale last year

Hopefully the sales are good enough to cover the rent. The Fresh Thyme used to always be busy, before the other 2 stores opened. I've been there at 1130 on a weekday and been 1 of maybe a dozen cars in the lot. I can't see them hanging out for another year.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bbinks wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:19 pm
Uffda wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 pm Gordmans is opening a new store in Omaha, its first here since its bankruptcy and sale last year

Hopefully the sales are good enough to cover the rent. The Fresh Thyme used to always be busy, before the other 2 stores opened. I've been there at 1130 on a weekday and been 1 of maybe a dozen cars in the lot. I can't see them hanging out for another year.
That Fresh Thyme is their best performing one in the city by far.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Going to a grocery store at 1130 on a weekday is not exactly the best test for how well it's doing. Grocery stores are usually busiest on weekend afternoons, along with Monday, Thursday, and Friday nights.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Garrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

Going to a grocery store at 1130 on a weekday is not exactly the best test for how well it's doing. Grocery stores are usually busiest on weekend afternoons, along with Monday, Thursday, and Friday nights.
Saturday isn't much better.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the revolving door for Gordmans on Maple has it closing again.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/West- ... Utlkm4LbSk
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

At least I'll know where to find a temporary Halloween party store this year.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

bbinks wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:50 am At least I'll know where to find a temporary Halloween party store this year.
There is always that! 8)
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like they are closing in Cedar Rapids and Coralville IA also.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Gordm ... VcOwxnWNQg
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I don't think they did a good job of letting people know they were back in business. I think people just sort of drove by, saw the sign, and assumed it was some old shuttered location.

I did see Gordmans job fair signs a few months ago. I found it amusing that a retail chain that had so recently went bankrupt and let everyone go was having a job fair. Who would go to that? lol
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 pm I don't think they did a good job of letting people know they were back in business. I think people just sort of drove by, saw the sign, and assumed it was some old shuttered location.

I did see Gordmans job fair signs a few months ago. I found it amusing that a retail chain that had so recently went bankrupt and let everyone go was having a job fair. Who would go to that? lol
I went into this store last summer when it reopened and it was a big let down from what it looked like when it first opened. It reminded me of the Gordmans on N 90th before it closed.... kind of an after thought... and not much merchandise.

Jimmy Buffett
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Stage Stores, who ate Gordman's a couple years ago, are filing for BK with the spectre of liquidation.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I was amused when I drove past the Gordman's at 149th & Maple that the top left of the building has a "NOW OPEN" banner hung up and the bottom right of the building has a "CLOSING" banner hung up. Maybe take the former down before hanging the latter.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

ChadJK wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:21 pm I was amused when I drove past the Gordman's at 149th & Maple that the top left of the building has a "NOW OPEN" banner hung up and the bottom right of the building has a "CLOSING" banner hung up. Maybe take the former down before hanging the latter.
The wall by the Crossroads Barnes and noble still has the stains from where the Walgreens letters were 20 years ago.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Uffda wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 pm
ChadJK wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 pm I don't think they did a good job of letting people know they were back in business. I think people just sort of drove by, saw the sign, and assumed it was some old shuttered location.

I went into this store last summer when it reopened and it was a big let down from what it looked like when it first opened. It reminded me of the Gordmans on N 90th before it closed.... kind of an after thought... and not much merchandise.
I've seen some activity outside the N 90th location. Does anyone know what is going here?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

swinquest wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:22 pm
Uffda wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:16 pm

I've seen some activity outside the N 90th location. Does anyone know what is going here?
I had heard at one time it was purchased by a guy to showcase his collectible cars. But can’t remember who that was.

Jimmy Buffett
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 am Peter Fink, owner of Certified Transmissions, has recently purchased the Gordmans building to display some of his cars. Here is an OWH story on him.

A plum and a pickup: Peter Fink brings 2 beauties for display at Midlands International Auto Show