MLB Data Center

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

MLB Data Center

Post by iamjacobm »

Has anyone heard a thing about this?  It was almost a throwaway comment in this article I was reading about stats in modern sports.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/1 ... tats/?_r=0
The digitizing of defensive statistics has created an explosion in the amount of data being collected. Fieldf/x creates about two terabytes of data every baseball game. And because every game is recorded on multiple feeds, MLB Advanced Media generates more than 1.5 petabytes of live and on-demand video each season (a petabyte is 1,000 terabytes). In all, the subsidiary of Major League Baseball stores about six petabytes of content per season, one reason it is opening a new data center in Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, nice catch Jacob!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

(a petabyte is 1,000 terabytes)
I just have to correct the article because this is something that really annoys me - a petabyte is 1024 terabytes. Just like a terabyte is 1024 gigabytes, a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, and a kilobyte is 1024 bytes.

Since computers operate in binary (base 2) and not decimal (base 10 - like how humans do), all size measurements of data must be multiples of 2s.

If you look at the math:
  • 1 Kilobyte = 2^10 bytes
  • 1 Megabyte = 2^20 bytes
  • 1 Gigabyte = 2^30 bytes
  • ect...
Exponentially, that REALLY adds up. Which is why I hate the fact that hard drive manufacturers use powers of 10 (and most of the time their HDs are even less than that), which is misleading and why when you buy a terabyte HD, the actual space you see in your operating system is much less than that. In a "terabyte" HD, you are actually missing over 68 gigabytes (just 10 or so years ago 1 GB was seen as huge)! With a petabyte, it's 90 terabytes (or 92,160 GB)!

And yes I know about the whole argument about Gibibyte.

[/RANT]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Wow, nice catch Jacob!

Agreed!!!

Major League Baseball data find home in Omaha's Scott Center
Barbara Soderlin: World-Herald staff writer wrote:MLB Advanced Media is preparing to open a data center inside the Scott Data Center at Aksarben Village. The facility is MLB Advanced Media's first major “technological footprint” outside of New York, where the offices of this startup success story are located in New York's Silicon Alley, separate by design from MLB's midtown corporate headquarters.

MLB Advanced Media will be the Scott Data Center's largest tenant — with about 8,000 square feet of space, it's more than twice as expansive as the next biggest tenant.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: MLB Data Center

Post by iamjacobm »

http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/none/3 ... eo-streams
It now has six data centers—two each in New York, Omaha, and San Francisco (with a new one being built in Omaha), each with an average of over 600 machines.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So it has two in Omaha and building the third? Any Idea where?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Were these guys one of the original tennats in the data center that was built in the old Opera Omaha building on 17 and Farnam?

I think that's the 2nd Omaha location, no idea where the new one is...