Caribou Coffee - Changing to L'Evento Caffé

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Anyone know what they're building as an 'outparcel' at Baker's Square?
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

would it be scooters java? there is another another small building under construction in the canfields parking lot
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It wont be a Scooters as they already have a location right across the street..

(we're talikng about 132nd and West Center. The Bakers Square location)..

I too have been wondering about this construction. I poked around and got no hint..

Maybe it will be another Caribou Coffee location..Hope so..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Anybody heard anything about a Scooter's at 156th and Fort in the new strip mall?
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

jhuston wrote:Anyone know what they're building as an 'outparcel' at Baker's Square?
Just a WAG, but I wouldn't be suprised if that is a Chipotle as well.

I heard they were going into the Omaha market big time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

FYI..

At Bakers Square, the new store construction IS a Chipotle (132nd & West Center)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As discussed on another thread:

Omaha Caribou Coffee Stores Closing
KETV wrote:Caribou coffee has four locations in Omaha and all of them suddenly closed Sunday.  Employees said there was no warning and that upper management came in Sunday afternoon and delivered the news.

CEO Michael Coles said, “We regret that we will no longer be offering Caribou Coffee directly through our retail stores in Omaha. Unfortunately, when stores are underperforming, we have to make the tough decision to close our stores.”
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Sounds like another national chain falling to a local power house (Scooters) and a national power house (Starbucks) where three's a crowd. It seems like that tends to happen every once in a while. Surely that is why we no longer have Circuit City and perhaps Albertson's.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I noticed Latte Lizard is dominating the market in Columbus. :)
Last edited by Stargazer on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Jesus, you about gave me a heart attack!  :o  

Sometimes, when these stores close like that, they do the same thing over here in Des Moines (like when Buca di Beppo closed).  I just assumed ours had done the same...but after looking at their website, all the Iowa stores are still there.  I have a Caribou one block from our place...so it would be greatly missed!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, we're one tough coffee market to grind.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Scooters made an attempt to open several stores over here...and have only succeeded with one (across from Jordan Creek).  They have had a sign on another location for a year or two...with no progress the last time I checked.  I figured we'd have 5 or 6 of them by now.  Oh well...I'm more of a Starbucks person anyway (unless I don't feel like going downtown...so I'll head to the Caribou instead).  [/justify]
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Scooter's seems to be doing real well in KC.  I was surprised how many I saw down there this weekend.

I'm hoping Scooter's takes over the Caribou location on West Maple.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Caribou Coffee cafes may have new owner, name
Omaha World Herald wrote:Omaha restaurateur Jaime Suárez this morning was touring the closed Caribou cafes at 17560 Wright St., 1100 S. 72nd St., 15805 West Maple Road and 14121 Q St. He said he hopes to take over leases at those spaces and launch his own coffeehouse concept, L'Evento Caffé, in the next 10 days.

Suárez, owner of several Omaha-area Subway and Taco Del Mar restaurants, said he also hopes to hire at least some former Caribou employees. He will hold a meeting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Subway near 156th Street and West Maple Road for those who lost their jobs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That didn't take long.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, I'm disappointed that Caribou will be leaving the Omaha market, especially when they never got around to opening any cafes in urban Omaha (...could be why they failed here... :yes: ), but I'm glad that someone is taking them over and launching a new concept.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Let's hope this pans out.  The problem is that all 4 of the locations were under performers for a major corporation not used to failure.  Whether someone else can turn them around is open to question.  Much of Omaha is saturated with coffee stores.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Ah yes, another local entrepreneur coming in to serve a market that the national chains couldn't master. :)
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

New Coffee Shop Wants To Take Up Caribou Locations, Employees
OMAHA, Neb. -- A new ownership groups wants to take over Omaha's Caribou Coffee locations.

Employees of Caribou Coffee told KETV NewsWatch 7 on Monday that all of that company's Omaha locations were closed on Sunday, leaving them without jobs.

On Tuesday evening, a company called Jasur Group said it wants to open new coffee shops in all of the Caribou locations, and keep the same employees.

"The employees that were working at Caribou -- they were just left out in the dark, from the immediate closing and sudden closing of Caribou, and we were trying to open as soon as possible -- hopefully by the end of the week," said Jasur's Jaime Suarez.

The new coffee shop is called L'Evento Caffe.

Suarez said that a meeting will be held for former Caribou employees who are interested in working at the new coffee spot at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Subway at 156th Street and West Maple Road.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

L'evento Caffe Coffee Closed

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090807/E ... /708079863
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:L'evento Caffe Coffee, the local coffee chain that emerged in 2008 after Caribou Coffee pulled out of the Omaha market in late 2007, has closed all five of its Omaha-area locations.

Marketing director Adrian Suarez said the family-owned company decided to pull the plug in mid-July. He blamed the closure on a slowing economy that forced patrons to drink fewer and less expensive drinks at the coffeehouse.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That quickly - and I never got to try the place out.