Radio Shack

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Radio Shack

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140125/M ... 2nd-street
Construction is expected to begin this spring on a $17 million project that will include a new hotel and a retail strip shopping center with upstairs office space at the southeast corner of 72nd Street and Poppleton Avenue.

Aksarben Center will include five retail bays and about 12,000 square feet of office space on the second floor. First tenants include Starbucks, RadioShack and new-to-Omaha sandwich chain Jersey Mike’s Subs.
Consider me shocked that there is a new RadioShack opening.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Aksarben Center (72 and Pine)

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Consider me shocked that there is a new RadioShack opening.
I know we just had a discussion about dying brands... But so am I. I can't remember the last time I walked into one, except for the fact that I used to get my haircut next to one, and after checking in I would wait at one just looking at over-priced Radio - |expletive|.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20140125/M ... 2nd-street
Construction is expected to begin this spring on a $17 million project that will include a new hotel and a retail strip shopping center with upstairs office space at the southeast corner of 72nd Street and Poppleton Avenue.

Aksarben Center will include five retail bays and about 12,000 square feet of office space on the second floor. First tenants include Starbucks, RadioShack and new-to-Omaha sandwich chain Jersey Mike’s Subs.
Consider me shocked that there is a new RadioShack opening.
I wonder if this RadioShack is still going to be added since the company just announced they are closing close to 1,100 stores nationwide.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The 1980's wants their Radio Shacks back, maybe this will be a 'new style' store...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I really don't know how they are still in business. What do people even go there for these days?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:I really don't know how they are still in business.  What do people even go there for these days?
Wireless services and phones. There was a radio piece on NPR a few months back about Radio Shack, and they were saying that if you have the cash, often times it's cheaper to keep stores running than to shut them down. You have inventory you need to liquidate, potential lease issues and other factors.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:I really don't know how they are still in business.  What do people even go there for these days?
Wireless services and phones. There was a radio piece on NPR a few months back about Radio Shack, and they were saying that if you have the cash, often times it's cheaper to keep stores running than to shut them down. You have inventory you need to liquidate, potential lease issues and other factors.
Radio Shack closing 1100 stores.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Same store year to year revenue down 19%! That is cataclysmic.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Batteries, lots and lots of batteries! That's all I ever buy there & only because it's the only place at Westroads to buy them!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Up to a few years ago I used to buy small electronics parts (switches, resistors, etc) for repairs and projects, but now they're inventory of that kind of thing is so small I just go straight to the internet. Unless it's something that costs more to ship than buy, it's hard to justify driving around town just to find out they don't carry it anyway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:Up to a few years ago I used to buy small electronics parts (switches, resistors, etc) for repairs and projects, but now they're inventory of that kind of thing is so small I just go straight to the internet.  Unless it's something that costs more to ship than buy, it's hard to justify driving around town just to find out they don't carry it anyway.
I didn't even know they still carried that stuff.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Seth wrote:Up to a few years ago I used to buy small electronics parts (switches, resistors, etc) for repairs and projects, but now they're inventory of that kind of thing is so small I just go straight to the internet.  Unless it's something that costs more to ship than buy, it's hard to justify driving around town just to find out they don't carry it anyway.
+1

I now go to Ham radio flea markets and stock up there. We used to play a game called "Stump the Sales Rep", but it got to the point, where asking about the location for their parts drawer was stumping. The last round of the game was when a sales clerk tried to convince me that there were two kinds of antennas, the ones you talked on and the ones you couldn't. I had to leave before I caught whatever it was that was afflicting the poor child.
matthewgoett
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Radio Shack

Post by matthewgoett »

I did buy my first samsung instinct at radio shack in crossroads. They did have the deals on phones.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Re: Staples to Replace CompUSA (78th and Dodge)

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:Staples to close 225 stores as sales move online

With Radio Shack closing store, now Staples, looks like theses industries are really struggling to stay afloat...
Radio Shak has some easy fix things. You can get many items they have elsewhere, Target, Wal Mart, for much cheaper.

I needed a new coax cable for one of my TVs. Radio Shak, $14.99. Target, $6.99 for the identical quality and length.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Staples to Replace CompUSA (78th and Dodge)

Post by jessep28 »

bbinks wrote:
Coyote wrote:Staples to close 225 stores as sales move online

With Radio Shack closing store, now Staples, looks like theses industries are really struggling to stay afloat...
Radio Shak has some easy fix things.  You can get many items they have elsewhere, Target, Wal Mart, for much cheaper.   

I needed a new coax cable for one of my TVs.   Radio Shak, $14.99.   Target, $6.99 for the identical quality and length.
You probably could have gotten it for cheaper off of Monoprice.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I love monoprice....I bought 3 HDMI cables on there a few years ago and they were only $5-10 each for 10 ft cables. Best buy wanted over $40 for a 5ft one.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

This is an interesting thread. As an aging dude, I remember visiting Radio Shack while in high school. It was the place for us nerds to go! It sounds like many on this forum prefer to do their gadget-buying online (as do I, sometimes) but come on, isn't there still a sense of exploration to want to see gizmos in person? Just the other day we needed some little electronic device and were wracking our brains where to find it locally -- the answers we came up with were Radio Shack, Best Buy, the Mart, and possibly Target. Which one of those is easiest to get into and out of? Which doesn't make you walk past aisles and aisles of other stuff to get to what you need? Has our culture changed so much that there isn't some demand to see this stuff in person? (Then again, I'm the one person in the world who misses Incredible Universe and the early incarnation of the Mega Mart that tried to copy it...)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RadioShack files for bankruptcy, sell up to 2,400 stores
Wireless company Sprint Corp (S.N) would operate as many as 1,750 of those stores under an agreement
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:RadioShack files for bankruptcy, sell up to 2,400 stores
Wireless company Sprint Corp (S.N) would operate as many as 1,750 of those stores under an agreement

I read a few different stories on this. There was contradiction in what I read as to if Sprint will be operating the stores just as Sprint stores and some that seemed to indicate they would still have some parts of the Radio Shack goods.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:RadioShack files for bankruptcy, sell up to 2,400 stores

I read a few different stories on this.  There was contradiction in what I read as to if Sprint will be operating the stores just as Sprint stores and some that seemed to indicate they would still have some parts of the Radio Shack goods.
The article talks about Sprint only using a third of the RS stores, and maybe trying to sell off RS assets, what was more valuable were RS locations...