Grocery gas

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Grocery gas

Post by Coyote »

I don't remember when this started, but it seems that grocery outlets have been getting into gas outlets. Hy-Vee has been doing this for several years, most of the newer stores already have gas stations next to or close to their buildings. eOmahaForums said that the Peony Park Hy-Vee would be getting a retrofit, which several months later now the OWH is reporting.

Bakers has also been in the gas business, but their stations are not necessarily owned or associated with them. Their Bakers Plus card is associated with Shell and Loaf and jugs...

Now I believe the Bakers on 120 and Center may be building a gas station kiosk on their (or Seldon's) property.

Walmart and Costco do this. I have to wonder where this trend us going...
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Re: Grocery gas

Post by HskrFanMike »

Kroger bought Bakers about fifteen years ago, and Kroger also owns Kwik Shop...hence why you can use your Bakers card at Kwik Shop for fuel discounts.

There isn't much money to be made in selling fuel nowadays, but rather, it's an opportunity to get you in and secure more of your business.

Hy-Vee has gotten really good about now offering gas discounts in lieu of putting items on sale. Whenever I bother to read through the Hy-Vee ad, I always chuckle at how Hy-Vee is able to charge 50 cents to a dollar more on each grocery item by offering customers a 30 cent discount on a tank of gas instead.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've noticed that too. That do a lot of specials with their meat department that are tied in with gas but they start off so high compared to others.

If you load the gas special to your Baker's card, they are doubling gas rewards on weekends through July.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently the Bakers on Leavenworth and Saddle Creek will now have a fuel center on the northern part of their parking lot...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

If I recall, when the Baker's opened in Benson Park, they had a gas station there as part of their operations. It's now the Pepperjax.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:If I recall, when the Baker's opened in Benson Park, they had a gas station there as part of their operations.  It's now the Pepperjax.
I thought Albertson's opened the gas, but then baker's closed it?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:
bbinks wrote:If I recall, when the Baker's opened in Benson Park, they had a gas station there as part of their operations.  It's now the Pepperjax.
I thought Albertson's opened the gas, but then baker's closed it?
You're right. I forgot about the Albertsons/Bakers/Bag n Save sales.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Westwood Baker's (120th & W Center) is starting to build their Fuel Center:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ooh. Ahh. Now I won't have to drive all the way next door for my gas.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The parking lot for that store was small enough as it was.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I noticed that a week ago or so - it's right next to Taco Bell so two ways to get gas. :)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Uffda wrote:I noticed that a week ago or so - it's right next to Taco Bell so two ways to get gas.  :)
I see what you did there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote:The parking lot for that store was small enough as it was.
It wasn't until I saw the area under construction that I thought this was a horrible decision. Yes they cut down by a third the parking area for Bakers, which is only a quarter of what they really needed, but the access to this location dips going to be dreadful. I know Bakers wants to get into the gas market, but this place was not meant to have one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

according to the Morton Meadows Neighborhood association, Bakers on Saddlecreek is thinking about adding a gas station.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:according to the Morton Meadows Neighborhood association, Bakers on Saddlecreek is thinking about adding a gas station.
Check a few months back on this thread, the one on Leavenworth?
Apparently the Bakers on Leavenworth and Saddle Creek will now have a fuel center on the northern part of their parking lot...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Missed that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

IIRC, only one person came before the City Council to speak against this proposal. She lived just to the West of Bakers and was concerned with the Vacated right of way behind the Bakers building and not the Fuel Center itself. I believe Chris Jerram was her Council a Rep., who took at least 10 minutes to ask her what her concern was, asked the Bakers reps how they could address her concern, made them promise they would remedy the problem, and asked the constituent to call his office if she was not satisfied with the outcome. It was refreshing to see the City Council/Jerram take a constituents complaints serious enough to follow all the way through with a citizens concerns.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The building is up and most of the steel us up for the grocery gas for the bakers on 120th and center. I don't remember seeing the building yesterday I wonder if it was prefab?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Really? I was there yesterday and didn't take a pic because there was nothing new.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yep, windows and all!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »