Fresh Thyme

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Fresh Thyme

Post by Coyote »

Fresh Thyme is arriving in Omaha on February 22nd with TWO new locations. Reserve your $5 coupon today while supplies last!
Doors open at 7am and we'll be handing out free muffins and coffee to everyone in line. See you there!

13215 West Center Rd. Omaha, NE 68144
17550 Gold Plaza, Omaha, NE 68130
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Fresh Thyme is arriving in Omaha on February 22nd with TWO new locations. Reserve your $5 coupon today while supplies last!
Doors open at 7am and we'll be handing out free muffins and coffee to everyone in line. See you there!

13215 West Center Rd. Omaha, NE 68144
17550 Gold Plaza, Omaha, NE 68130
Drove by the one on West Center one evening this week including a loop through the parking lot. the 22nd gives them a bunch of days but it sure looked they had plenty left to do.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The new store on 132nd & Center opened a couple of days ago so I went there for the first time tonight. I never had been there before so I was kind of surprised by what I saw. I mean if you are into paying top dollar price for a bunch of brands you never heard of before then this is the place for you. This place is actually expensive! Personally its not my thing. I don't see me going there again anytime soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The new store on 132nd & Center opened a couple of days ago so I went there for the first time tonight. I never had been there before so I was kind of surprised by what I saw. I mean if you are into paying top dollar price for a bunch of brands you never heard of before then this is the place for you. This place is actually expensive! Personally its not my thing. I don't see me going there again anytime soon.

I guess there may be many brands you haven't heard of there if you do the bulk of your grocery shopping at the dollar store.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The new store on 132nd & Center opened a couple of days ago so I went there for the first time tonight. I never had been there before so I was kind of surprised by what I saw. I mean if you are into paying top dollar price for a bunch of brands you never heard of before then this is the place for you. This place is actually expensive! Personally its not my thing. I don't see me going there again anytime soon.

I guess there may be many brands you haven't heard of there if you do the bulk of your grocery shopping at the dollar store.
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Hy-Vee for the most part skankyou very much. :P
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Their produce and meat are cheaper than HyVee. And better quality.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah they are definitely cheaper than Hy Vee.

Greg
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

They do have good produce at a reasonable price. I like their seafood and homemade chicken sausage also.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just got their oven ready Sweet Bourbon Bacon Meatloaf at a very reasonable price. And they have Muffaletta mix there also :D
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

bbinks wrote:Their produce and meat are cheaper than HyVee. And better quality.
So true.

We now go to Fresh Thyme 2 or 3 times a week and Super Target once a week. The Fresh Thyme visits are smaller purchases, usually fresh, ready too eat items for the main meal. Clearly paper products and other generic staples are better purchased at Super Target.

We have found many of the Fresh Thyme labeled items to be very good and at a good-to-great price, depending on sales. for example; 'roasted red and yellow peppers' in a jar, 'oyster and soup' crackers are like no others (good for snacking as well as soups) and speaking of soup the 'chicken tortilla' soup is fresh and a little spicy ... all Fresh Thyme labeled items.

Their rotisserie chicken is always constantly good (per Maple and recent Lakeside location) unlike HyVee and Bakers per my experience.

Personally, now with both of these stores in close proximity (Lakeside), is a perfect setup for us.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As posted in another thread the Fresh Tyyme in Grand Island is closing.

Looks like the Lakeside location in Omaha is also closing per the email I got stating that most everything is 30% off starting the 20th.

lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:27 am Looks like the Lakeside (Fresh Tyyme) location in Omaha is also closing per the email I got stating that most everything is 30% off starting the 20th.
It will be interesting how that building may be re-used.

The owner VEREIT has 20 properties in Nebraska ...

https://www.vereit.com/portfolio

Their web site shows a list by state.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I put the one on 132nd & Center on the clock 3 months ago. Tick tick tick! This was easy to see coming. They sell a bunch of off brand stuff at name brand prices or even higher. That is a tough business model. Get out of town with that we ain't buying it.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

We shop at the 132nd store a lot. In our experience, the "center of the store", aka the aisles where the prepackaged and/or processed stuff in boxes lives, tends to be a little pricier than Super Target or Walmart (but still cheaper than HyVee or Bakers' regular prices). But we've always found the perimeter of the store -- meat and produce -- to be far cheaper than HyVee or Bakers and the same or better quality. Since probably 80-90% of what we buy is fresh meat and produce, Fresh Thyme tends to be our favorite grocer. For those with more pre-packaged stuff on their shopping lists, I can see where it wouldn't be as popular.

With that said, the Lakeside store was almost always noticeably less busy than the other two. So closing that one doesn't come as a huge surprise.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The Maple location does not have the traffic it once had either. Produce quality has slipped a little too.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

lonnie wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 am It will be interesting how that building may be re-used.

The Fresh Thyme (30K SF) property owner has a Tractor Supply (20K SF) in York.

Question, would a Tractor Supply work in that Lakeside location ? Possibly a little out-of-the-box but the modern Tractor Supply offers a wide range of products, possibly they could draw in new customers at that location.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

bbinks wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:27 am The Maple location does not have the traffic it once had either. Produce quality has slipped a little too.
I have no statistical evidence but the Maple location seems to have picked up traffic over the past year in my observations. I hope they make it as I do like their price points on the items I shop for compared to Whole Foods and HyVee. They fill a nice niche in my opinion.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

lonnie wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:42 pm
lonnie wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 am It will be interesting how that building may be re-used.

The Fresh Thyme (30K SF) property owner has a Tractor Supply (20K SF) in York.

Question, would a Tractor Supply work in that Lakeside location ? Possibly a little out-of-the-box but the modern Tractor Supply offers a wide range of products, possibly they could draw in new customers at that location.
IMO that would be a quick fail there.

Another point with a TSC is that in addition to the building they all have ( at least everyone I have seen) and outdoor lot for items that are as big as the store. Would never happen where this location is at
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We shop at the Fresh Thyme in Baker Square (anyone catch the irony?) at least a couple of times a month. They often have tremendous deals on meat and seafood, and their fresh produce is at least as good as the other stores in town.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Fresh Thyme in West O near 176th & Center closed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:47 pm Fresh Thyme in West O near 176th & Center closed.
I thought it closed back in October or November?
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Brad wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm I thought it closed back in October or November?
Perhaps. I didn't try going to it until recently.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:00 pm
Brad wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 pm I thought it closed back in October or November?
Perhaps. I didn't try going to it until recently.
See post in this thread dated Oct 20 2019.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Fresh Thyme apparently closing Lincoln, Omaha grocery stores

https://journalstar.com/business/local/ ... J8eYkgOSSU
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was in the one on Center yesterday (Sunday) and there was no indications of it closing yet.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Uffda wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:56 am Fresh Thyme apparently closing Lincoln, Omaha grocery stores

https://journalstar.com/business/local/ ... J8eYkgOSSU

I predicted a year ago in this thread that the one on 132nd & Center was on the clock. They were surely losing money already and then the virus showed up.

Two new candidates/grocery stores that are on the clock are the Family Fare on 108th & Q and the one on 144th & Center. Much like Fresh Thyme these two Family Fares were losing money before the Virus and now they are ghost towns. With the Virus looking to steam right on into next year I would say these two stores are on the rocks and are about to go down.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Both locations are already gone from the store locator on Fresh Thyme's website, so yeah, they're goners. We're really sad about it -- the 132nd & Center store was our go-to place for reasonably priced fresh produce. We were there on a regular basis.

I think their lack of online order/pickup doomed them once the virus changed people's shopping habits. That and the fact that they were never a one-stop shop for groceries -- they were terrific for produce, cheese, and meat, less so for other staples. Again, once the virus changed people's shopping habits and going to two stores instead of one became less palatable, it was probably tough sledding. Just observations; maybe they were struggling before.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

WBR_Tom wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:26 am Both locations are already gone from the store locator on Fresh Thyme's website, so yeah, they're goners. We're really sad about it -- the 132nd & Center store was our go-to place for reasonably priced fresh produce. We were there on a regular basis.

I think their lack of online order/pickup doomed them once the virus changed people's shopping habits. That and the fact that they were never a one-stop shop for groceries -- they were terrific for produce, cheese, and meat, less so for other staples. Again, once the virus changed people's shopping habits and going to two stores instead of one became less palatable, it was probably tough sledding. Just observations; maybe they were struggling before.
The first one to close in Omaha and the one in Grand Island Closed last October so there was no COVID impact there. Guessing they just never gianed the traction here they needed
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Much of their prices were a little high
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 am Two new candidates/grocery stores that are on the clock are the Family Fare on 108th & Q and the one on 144th & Center. Much like Fresh Thyme these two Family Fares were losing money before the Virus and now they are ghost towns. With the Virus looking to steam right on into next year I would say these two stores are on the rocks and are about to go down.
I don't disagree and I'm surprised some certain Family Fare stores are still open, but do you know their numbers?

I'm still a little bitter since the closings of No-Frills and Bag N' Save. At that time I lost a handful of grocery options within my walkable distance, and now Family Fare doesn't look to be doing all that great itself.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

You'd think the Family Fare at 144th & Center would do pretty well with their location, which is about three miles away from any other supermarket. Real problem is that Family Fare doesn't really have a good niche... their prices are generally pretty high, but without the amenities that a Hy-Vee can offer to offset those prices.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

HskrFanMike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 am You'd think the Family Fare at 144th & Center would do pretty well with their location, which is about three miles away from any other supermarket. Real problem is that Family Fare doesn't really have a good niche... their prices are generally pretty high, but without the amenities that a Hy-Vee can offer to offset those prices.
I live in the adjacent neighborhood. I hardly ever see many people shopping there. We generally do not shop there, because like you said the prices are on the higher end. I think that is fine if you did not have to get in your car anyway to shop there; might as well drive a few more minutes to Hyvee (better store) or Aldi (much cheaper prices).
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

ita wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am
HskrFanMike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 am You'd think the Family Fare at 144th & Center would do pretty well with their location, which is about three miles away from any other supermarket. Real problem is that Family Fare doesn't really have a good niche... their prices are generally pretty high, but without the amenities that a Hy-Vee can offer to offset those prices.
I live in the adjacent neighborhood. I hardly ever see many people shopping there. We generally do not shop there, because like you said the prices are on the higher end. I think that is fine if you did not have to get in your car anyway to shop there; might as well drive a few more minutes to Hyvee (better store) or Aldi (much cheaper prices).
or to 132 & L for Sam's/Wal-mart/Target.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

They do have delicious deli fried chicken! And I find some ethnic foods are sold there that I cannot easily find at Hy-Vee or Baker’s. So I make a point of visiting Family Fare every couple of months for those hard to find items.
But yes, their stores are never busy.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

S.O.Boy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:42 pm
ita wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am
or to 132 & L for Sam's/Wal-mart/Target.
Exactly.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Once Bag n Save and No Frills became part of Nash Finch their pricing strategy went away. If my memory serves me, the No Frills were acquired by either Bakers or Bag n Save. Too long ago, but there is probably some discussion here about it.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bbinks wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm Once Bag n Save and No Frills became part of Nash Finch their pricing strategy went away. If my memory serves me, the No Frills were acquired by either Bakers or Bag n Save. Too long ago, but there is probably some discussion here about it.
They were both part of Nash Finch as long as I can remember. Then an entity bought them and it became Spartan Nash, and that's when they became Family Fare and closed a bunch of locations. I'm still not happy about the locations closing... But I like them specifically because they are not Hy-Vee type of busy and they are kinda ghetto. Some of their stuff is expensive but other stuff is cheap. Seems to be the case across the board, except at Walmart.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Harold Cooprrman privately held No Frills. His daughter, I believe, ran the company for some time after his passing. I thought Bag n Save was at one time privately owned too by a German family.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

bbinks wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:05 am Harold Cooprrman privately held No Frills. His daughter, I believe, ran the company for some time after his passing. I thought Bag n Save was at one time privately owned too by a German family.
Leon Shrago. Nash Finch bought Bag n Save in 2012.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

When Albertson's finally gave up on the Omaha market, Bag N Save, No Frills and Bakers divvied up those stores. Shortly thereafter, Nash Finch bought out both the Bag and No Frills, and the prices shot back up to Albertsons levels.

The 2004 article on the Albertson's buyout. https://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php? ... ns#p217789