Omaha Area Kmart Discussion

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Omaha Area Kmart Discussion

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:I would be surprised if anything off of Maple sat vacant for too long. That Maple St. corridor is hotter than a witches t*t!
The euphemism is colder, not hotter, :twisted: but point well received.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:I would be surprised if anything off of Maple sat vacant for too long. That Maple St. corridor is hotter than a witches t*t!
The euphemism is colder, not hotter, :twisted: but point well received.

I know. I was thinking about that after I had posted that I'd gotten it wrong. Story of my life.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The former UNMC clinic in front of the Eagle Run KMart (between Arby's and Burger King) is going to be an Auto Zone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
OHShawn93 wrote:There's a Vrana trailer and some of their equipment outside of the old Kmart on 134th/Maple. Any idea what's going in? It would be nice to have this filled up!
I believe a Burlington Coat Factory
Confirmed.

Burlington Coat Factory to add 2nd location in Omaha
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Home Goods will be next door to the Burlington Coat Factory.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Home Goods will be next door to the Burlington Coat Factory.
TJ Maxx and Homegoods now confirmed.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Boy, Kmart's closing stores all over the place, aren't they? I went to the one on 120th and Center plenty of times when I lived in Omaha. I went to the one on 144th and Stony Brook once. Then when I moved to Lincoln, there was one on 48th and Vine, but not for very long. I went to it a couple times before it closed in January 1994 and became an Albertsons the next year. It's sad to see Kmart dying like this.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:
Coyote wrote:Home Goods will be next door to the Burlington Coat Factory.
TJ Maxx and Homegoods now confirmed.
Also Sierra Trading Post:
Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Sierra Trading Post, T.J. Maxx, HomeGoods opening Omaha stores

Sierra Trading Post, T.J. Maxx and HomeGoods have plans for new stores in northwest Omaha.

The three retailers, all owned by TJX Cos., the parent of T.J. Maxx, will open in the Eagle Run Shopping Center at 132nd Street and West Maple Road.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Crazy they are fitting all 4 in the space vacated by KMart. Assume they are going to need to make more entrances, so each will have their own?

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Unless they combine those 3 as they are under the same parent company. Kind of like the co-branded pizza hut/kfc/taco bell.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Kmart at 50th and L Streets is closing; 1 left in Omaha metro area

http://www.omaha.com/money/kmart-at-th- ... e4f60.html
By Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Kmart at 50th and L Streets is closing.

The store is expected to close in mid-January, Sears Holdings, the chain's owner, said in a statement to The World-Herald. A liquidation sale will begin Oct. 26.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just drove by there today and it looked so dead. Can't believe that it lasted this long. The one in CB seems to be doing ok. Everytime I drive by that one, there are at least a few cars in the parking lot.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

As we drove by there just last night, I wondered how long this location would stay open. Huh, who knew?! It's a dump, has been for years. I think they've neglected the building for so many years, I bet they bulldoze it
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Kmart at 50th and L Streets is closing; 1 left in Omaha metro area

By Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Kmart at 50th and L Streets is closing.

The store is expected to close in mid-January, Sears Holdings, the chain's owner, said in a statement to The World-Herald. A liquidation sale will begin Oct. 26.
Based on me being a former Kmart employee for 2 years while in college..News of the continued disintegration of Kmart always saddens me a little bit.. Albeit when I worked at Kmart, it was in the early 1980’s.. It was a good place to work and for the most part, I enjoyed my time there and the people I worked with. Some of the customers though? Well, let’s just say..that’s another story, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Based on me being a former Kmart employee for 2 years while in college..News of the continued disintegration of Kmart always saddens me a little bit.. Albeit when I worked at Kmart, it was in the early 1980’s.. It was a good place to work and for the most part, I enjoyed my time there and the people I worked with. Some of the customers though? Well, let’s just say..that’s another story, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Another casualty of the Walmart phenomenon. Their turn is coming
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

debradomayer wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Another casualty of the Walmart phenomenon. Their turn is coming
KMart a casualty of WalMart? Sorry, they mastered the sale of crappy products at cheap prices long before WM was a thing. They lost their place in the economy because they were so down market. At least at Walmart, you can find some decent quality stuff. When KMart went down scale too far, the people who wanted a sale on good stuff went elsewhere and the people who didn't have any quality standards and the people who couldn't afford anything else forced KMart to rapidly decline into a store that could not longer reach up to the middle class as they were the home of "KMart Specials", the crappy shirt or other item that was cheap, but not going to last very long or work very well.

WM did beat them, by selling decent stuff at a lower price than Penneys or Sears. They are the ones who are going under due to WM. But even they don't have a fair complaint against WM. Both sell crappy stuff made in foreign sweatshops just like WM. Both screwed up their marketing. Penneys went trash and Sears tried to sell everything instead of concentrating on hardware and mechanical items that they dominated in. Sorry, but business is cut throat and if you screw up and let your stores go to seed like Penneys or you lose focus on why people hold your company in high esteem, and build up that area so it stays in esteem, you lose.

Sorry, to derail the topic, but I am getting a bit tired of Walmart bashing.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Does this mean Nebraska will be the only state without a Kmart?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

mrsticka wrote:Does this mean Nebraska will be the only state without a Kmart?
That sounds like something to take pride in.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

mrsticka wrote:Does this mean Nebraska will be the only state without a Kmart?
I believe there is still one in Alliance.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

When I lived in Omaha back in the 80's and 90's, I went to the Kmart on 122nd and W Center plenty of times. It was a good store. When it closed in 2002, I was sad and got somewhat sentimental. :(
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:When I lived in Omaha back in the 80's and 90's, I went to the Kmart on 122nd and W Center plenty of times. It was a good store. When it closed in 2002, I was sad and got somewhat sentimental. :(
Have you gotten over it? :mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:When I lived in Omaha back in the 80's and 90's, I went to the Kmart on 122nd and W Center plenty of times. It was a good store. When it closed in 2002, I was sad and got somewhat sentimental. :(
Of course I have. What kind of question is that?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
You know, I worked at that store for 2 years in the early 80’s while in college. It was, indeed, a good store with many good people working there. I enjoyed my time as an employee of Kmart.. Even though it was a lifetime ago.. It was a good experience...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Just concerned for your well being
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Just concerned for your well being
I'm fine. Thank you. Don't worry about me.