Cox Cable Going All Digital

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Cox Cable Going All Digital

Post by iamjacobm »

As I understand it in two months you will not be able to plug a TV directly into the wall and recieve a signal with Cox. They are offering two "mini boxes" to subscribers that will be free for a year then will be $1.99 per month after that.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Cox Cable Going All Digital

Post by skinzfan23 »

I read the article and also went to Cox's website. It sounds like the transition will be complete on September 22, 2015. I currently have the Advanced TV Preferred and it is only allowing one mini box for free. Any additional ones are $1.99/month. In the fine print, it states that depending on your level of service you can get up to 2 free. I really only need one for our bedroom, as our other 2 big screens already have HD receivers. I think I am going to wait to get the mini box so that my 12 months will last a little longer.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:I read the article and also went to Cox's website. It sounds like the transition will be complete on September 22, 2015. I currently have the Advanced TV Preferred and it is only allowing one mini box for free. Any additional ones are $1.99/month. In the fine print, it states that depending on your level of service you can get up to 2 free. I really only need one for our bedroom, as our other 2 big screens already have HD receivers. I think I am going to wait to get the mini box so that my 12 months will last a little longer.

Better read the fine print. Wouldn't be surprised if the "free" went away after the transition is completed
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are the details from the Cox website:

Free Mini Box Offer Details and Terms
Offer ends in Connecticut on March 27, 2015. A Cox-provided CableCARD together with a certified compatible CableCARD retail device may be used in lieu of a mini box. Depending on customer current service level, up to 2 mini boxes or CableCARDs will be provided at no charge for up to two years. Regular rates apply thereafter. Special offers available to customers with Medicaid. Additional units may be ordered at the regular monthly rate (currently $1.99/month). Taxes extra. HD channel availability may vary between mini box and other Cox equipment options. Other restrictions may apply.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I wonder if you can just buy the boxes outright to avoid having to pay $24 a year for them?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

jessep28 wrote:I wonder if you can just buy the boxes outright to avoid having to pay $24 a year for them?
I am not sure, but I did offer to for our HD boxes and they said that was not an option and laughed.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

HAd a FB friend post this to the OWH site ---

It would appear to me that this move, in the "big picture", and long run, flies in the face of the "1992 free access for local TV on Cable TV". Once the program is fully implemented, no consumer will be able to access local channels free. It will cost them a minimum of $1.99 for access using one TV.
Cox should be providing the box free-- in perpetuity -- to any consumer who needs access. Or the consumer should be able to purchase the box, one time, and no additional fees should be charged by Cox.
We need to hold Cox's "feet to the fire" on this issue. It catches most of us by surprise. Even their statement of the impact only being 20% of their subscribers, those in the group must be protected. I hope others will join me in contesting or getting changes in this major strategic move.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

All-digital mini box confounds some cable customers; Cox says it’s ready to help

Sounds like the biggest complaints so far are:
1) Only one free box for the first year (additional units are $1.99/month)
2) remote is too small (they are releasing a larger remote that will be an extra fee)
3) extra electricity costs to power the box (about $5 to $7 per year)
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:All-digital mini box confounds some cable customers; Cox says it’s ready to help

Sounds like the biggest complaints so far are:
1) Only one free box for the first year (additional units are $1.99/month)
2) remote is too small (they are releasing a larger remote that will be an extra fee)
3) extra electricity costs to power the box (about $5 to $7 per year)

I'm old and that remote does not seem to small to me.....come on whiny old people :roll: I got one of those mini boxes and stuck it on the TV in the kitchen and I like it. The only bad thing is the 1.99 which I will even pay when the time comes.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good to hear the remotes aren't small. I haven't gotten ours yet but plan to in the next few weeks before the July 14 switch.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Uffda wrote:HAd a FB friend post this to the OWH site ---

It would appear to me that this move, in the "big picture", and long run, flies in the face of the "1992 free access for local TV on Cable TV". Once the program is fully implemented, no consumer will be able to access local channels free. It will cost them a minimum of $1.99 for access using one TV.
Cox should be providing the box free-- in perpetuity -- to any consumer who needs access. Or the consumer should be able to purchase the box, one time, and no additional fees should be charged by Cox.
We need to hold Cox's "feet to the fire" on this issue. It catches most of us by surprise. Even their statement of the impact only being 20% of their subscribers, those in the group must be protected. I hope others will join me in contesting or getting changes in this major strategic move.
Your friend is ignoring the FCC ruling in 2012 that said cable companies can encrypt basic cable (this superseded the Cable Act of 1992). Any consumer can still access the local over the air channels for free with an antenna. I'm with you on the fact that just like a cable modem I should be able to purchase the box outright instead of renting it from Cox. It is probably a $30 box that is going to be "paid off" ten times over. As for getting them to reconsider no chance in heck. The cable companies and Cox is far from the first to do this know exactly what they're doing here.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

My office has Cox and it is now all digital. We have to order one of the decrypter boxes.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Cox phases out analog channels; all customers must now have minibox
Today, Cox Communications plans to switch its remaining half-dozen analog channels to digital-only video broadcasts.
Customers who haven’t yet installed the company’s miniboxes won’t be able to view those channels, which include the major broadcast networks ABC, NBC and CBS, said Beth Weiss, a company spokeswoman.

Cox has said the move to an all-digital signal should boost Internet speeds and increase the availability of high-definition channels and other products.
The amount of bandwidth used to deliver one analog channel can deliver about six digital channels.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

"Since the announcement, Cox has distributed more than 220,000 miniboxes to Omaha-area subscribers." So at two bucks each that is $5,280,000 in extra revenue per year. The quality of the mini box also sucks! 1/2 the channels come in as no signal in my neighborhood.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

U R my Helix wrote:"Since the announcement, Cox has distributed more than 220,000 miniboxes to Omaha-area subscribers." So at two bucks each that is $5,280,000 in extra revenue per year. The quality of the mini box also sucks! 1/2 the channels come in as no signal in my neighborhood.
I was kind of curious if they are able to collect more reliable data on about what we are watching and sell that info to advertisers and such.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

U R my Helix wrote:"Since the announcement, Cox has distributed more than 220,000 miniboxes to Omaha-area subscribers." So at two bucks each that is $5,280,000 in extra revenue per year. The quality of the mini box also sucks! 1/2 the channels come in as no signal in my neighborhood.
Not sure about your math there... $2 * 220,000 = $440,000, which is still a lot of extra revenue. I haven't had any problems with reception on mine and we live on the extreme southern edge of Bellevue. The only complaint is that the guide sometimes gets stuck and won't let me change the channel quickly.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I think the math is right. 440,000 per month times 12 months. 5,280,000.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

EastCB wrote:I think the math is right. 440,000 per month times 12 months. 5,280,000.
Yes, it is....I forgot to multiply it by the 12 months. The amt of extra revenue is amazing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

How much do these boxes cost Cox?

We only needed one but it has worked great for us the whole time.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:How much do these boxes cost Cox?

We only needed one but it has worked great for us the whole time.

Greg
Not sure, but I wish they would allow you to purchase the equipment. We pay $8.50/month for each of our two HD boxes ($204 each year). We have had them for 3 years, which means we have already paid over $600 for them. Unfortunately, tvs larger than 50" are kind of useless with cable without an HD box.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Just checked my 42 HDTv in the basement --- darn no more cable --- guess I need to get another over-the-air antenna. And maybe a new AppleTV for upstairs and the old ATV downstairs
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: Cox Phone

Post by bigredmed1 »

We received a letter today asking us to upgrade our phone. It’s supposedly free, but we know better. Any guesses as to what is coming?
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:17 pm We received a letter today asking us to upgrade our phone. It’s supposedly free, but we know better. Any guesses as to what is coming?
I'm not a Cox customer, but "upgrade our phone" does not make sense. You will need to clarify that bit. Cox has no idea about what phone you use, they just provide a signal. Unless you're on a list as a rotary phone user.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:17 pm We received a letter today asking us to upgrade our phone. It’s supposedly free, but we know better. Any guesses as to what is coming?
Do you use COX for your home landline phone service currently?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:16 pm
Yes. i like a land line as our area has above ground lines and cellphones brick out in about 20 min.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm
nebugeater wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:16 pm
Yes. i like a land line as our area has above ground lines and cellphones brick out in about 20 min.
Was curious because if you had a landline and it was not with COX this may have been a promo to get you to move it to COX
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I have had Cox for my phone for about 10 years. I was an idiot for switching from Century Link to Cox as Cox is one of the most low life outfits you will ever deal with. The employees for Cox are of a lower caliber to make COX even worse. My Cox phone and many other people I know has been working like dirt for about the past month. In fact its not working at all today!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm I have had Cox for my phone for about 10 years. I was an idiot for switching from Century Link to Cox as Cox is one of the most low life outfits you will ever deal with. The employees for Cox are of a lower caliber to make COX even worse. My Cox phone and many other people I know has been working like dirt for about the past month. In fact its not working at all today!
Too bad.

I have had COX for internet for about 15 years and for home phone for about 10 with a gap of about 16 months when I moved and then moved back. No issues with COX. When I was at the "other location" I had CL and it was the worst service and customer support I have dealt with.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm I have had Cox for my phone for about 10 years. I was an idiot for switching from Century Link to Cox as Cox is one of the most low life outfits you will ever deal with. The employees for Cox are of a lower caliber to make COX even worse. My Cox phone and many other people I know has been working like dirt for about the past month. In fact its not working at all today!
Too bad.

I have had COX for internet for about 15 years and for home phone for about 10 with a gap of about 16 months when I moved and then moved back. No issues with COX. When I was at the "other location" I had CL and it was the worst service and customer support I have dealt with.

I've had no issues with Cox internet. I work from home twice a week so it would be a big issue if I did. I've heard more the opposite. CenturyLink has been getting lit up on our neighborhood nextdoor app. The big thing is when people have issues, tech support with CenturyLink seems to be a nightmare. Doesn't help on the television side they seem to have given up as well. Sounds like they either outsourced it or sold it. I don't think PRISM exists anymore.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

"... I don't think PRISM exists anymore."

That didn't last long
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 am
I've had no issues with Cox internet. I work from home twice a week so it would be a big issue if I did. I've heard more the opposite. CenturyLink has been getting lit up on our neighborhood nextdoor app. The big thing is when people have issues, tech support with CenturyLink seems to be a nightmare. Doesn't help on the television side they seem to have given up as well. Sounds like they either outsourced it or sold it. I don't think PRISM exists anymore.

Greg
Are you in an old USWest Telechoice service area by chance?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

jessep28 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm
Greg S wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:46 am

Greg
Are you in an old USWest Telechoice service area by chance?

No. I am on 151st between Fort and Ida.

Greg
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Have you had a phone modem installed prior to this yet?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm
He said he has a land line and you must have a modem to get cox phone. So yes he has a modem.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:18 pm
He said he has a land line and you must have a modem to get cox phone. So yes he has a modem.
I've had Cox for my phone service for about 10 years and only was "forced" to get a phone modem within the past year and the upgrade was free. Hence my question.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 pm
I've had Cox for my phone service for about 10 years and only was "forced" to get a phone modem within the past year and the upgrade was free. Hence my question.
You would be the first and only person I have ever knew that had COX phone that worked without a modem. Not saying its not possible.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm You would be the first and only person I have ever knew that had COX phone that worked without a modem. Not saying its not possible.
Like I said I had Cox phone service for about 10 years before needing a phone modem. Over the past year or so they've been trying to migrate the remaining customers over. https://www.omaha.com/money/cox-in-the- ... a678d.html

I have a feeling there was probably a bridge-gap in technology based on when houses were built that let Cox tap into US West for parts of the city without replacing infrastructure in the past.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm
Mr.Nuke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 pm
You would be the first and only person I have ever knew that had COX phone that worked without a modem. Not saying its not possible.
When I first had COX for home phone service there was no "modem" in the house attached to the cable. It was all done outside in the service box for the phone wires coming into the house. Sure it was essentially a modem but to the average homeowner there was no idea how it was connected. After a some time I had to "upgrade" to a modem in the house. Don't remember how long ago that was.