Demise of the Enclosed Mall

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Demise of the Enclosed Mall

Post by Coyote »

For many shoppers, the lure of the indoor mall is long gone
Cindy Gonzalez and Paige Yowell: World-Herald staff writers wrote:The tale of shoppers’ preferences can be told through the types of centers that have been built: In the years between 1980 and 1984, there were 153 enclosed malls built in the U.S.; during that time, there were 64 large outdoor-focused centers built, according to data from the International Council of Shopping Centers.

From 2005 to 2009, developers built 63 enclosed malls. They built 646 outdoor centers during the same time.

I know we have talked about this is several Mall threads, but with the MotB closing down and the OWH article it seems like an appropriate discussion for its own thread.
BRoss
IT Director

Re: Demise of the Enclosed Mall

Post by BRoss »

I think indoor malls are great if you want to stop at a few places. It's convenient when everything is at that one location. But I have rarely ever gone to a mall to just wander around and shop at random stores. When I go, it's usually to just one place for a specific reason and I am in and out. Outdoor malls are much more convenient due to the fact that you can pull up right to the store instead of having to walk a bit through the hallways to get there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I think indoor malls are great if you want to stop at a few places. It's convenient when everything is at that one location. But I have rarely ever gone to a mall to just wander around and shop at random stores. When I go, it's usually to just one place for a specific reason and I am in and out. Outdoor malls are much more convenient due to the fact that you can pull up right to the store instead of having to walk a bit through the hallways to get there.
I agree, but in the winter it is really nice to have a place to go walk around, shop and eat something all without having to go outside.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I see a lot of people using indoor malls for their cardio work.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Overall, I do prefer the newer outdoor shopping. Every now and then in the winter it's nice to have the indoor option, but when I compare the time I spent in malls 15 years ago and now. Wow. I just don't have the interest in spending more than an hour or so in one.

Greg