News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Re: ConAgra moving to Chicago

Postby Garrett » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:28 am

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I wonder if they plan on getting rid of the other two then.

I have a feeling the odds of any of the buildings getting demolished are very low. Plus, those other buildings really aren't in a spot where making them into something else would bring anything worth while.

Oh, I was just talking about them moving out of those ones.

According to the article in the World Herald, purchasing buildings actually makes them more likely to be developed.

Here's the map from the article. They also purchased the northern garage along Farnam.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

riceweb
Home Owners Association

Postby riceweb » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:33 am

This move suggests to me they are planning on selling the buildings they own. They bought the buildings as a way out of a long-term lease. In general, companies today prefer to lease buildings rather than own them outright (look at what's happening with Cabela's right now for more on this topic).

ConAgra would likely continue to occupy Buildings 6 and 9 (the green buildings in the diagram). The others would be sold off, possibly as a package to a developer.

Taco
Home Owners Association

Postby Taco » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:59 pm

So this is likely the first step in a lengthy redevelopment process?

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:19 pm

It's an encouraging sign some of the property might now get sold. I would love to see the main flag-lined entry promenade and soon-to-be former HQ building (furthest northwest building) get bulldozed and redeveloped into something new and useful to more Omahans. It would be great to restore part of the old street grid as an extension of the Old Market. It wouldn't have to be any one single big development, just having several lots for new infill to be built incrementally would be fine. No more parking garages please.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 pm

GetUrban wrote:It's an encouraging sign some of the property might now get sold. I would love to see the main flag-lined entry promenade and soon-to-be former HQ building (furthest northwest building) get bulldozed and redeveloped into something new and useful to more Omahans. It would be great to restore part of the old street grid as an extension of the Old Market. It wouldn't have to be any one single big development, just having several lots for new infill to be built incrementally would be fine. No more parking garages please.

The article said the test kitchens are in the northernmost building, so that one is staying for sure. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just bepopped out of downtown altogether and built a new facility somewhere in an anonymous part of West Omaha. I guess the jobs downtown are nice, but really, what's the point of keeping them there?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Postby Midwestern » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:40 pm

I'm pretty sure this picture shows the building that used to stand where the ConAgra flag promenade is. (The one off to the left)

10th street should have an urban canyon like feeling, like it used to have, in my opinion.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:44 pm

RNcyanide wrote:
GetUrban wrote:It's an encouraging sign some of the property might now get sold. I would love to see the main flag-lined entry promenade and soon-to-be former HQ building (furthest northwest building) get bulldozed and redeveloped into something new and useful to more Omahans. It would be great to restore part of the old street grid as an extension of the Old Market. It wouldn't have to be any one single big development, just having several lots for new infill to be built incrementally would be fine. No more parking garages please.

The article said the test kitchens are in the northernmost building, so that one is staying for sure. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just bepopped out of downtown altogether and built a new facility somewhere in an anonymous part of West Omaha. I guess the jobs downtown are nice, but really, what's the point of keeping them there?

I am betting if they bepopped out of down town it would be for a location a lot further away than West O.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Midwestern wrote:I'm pretty sure this picture shows the building that used to stand where the ConAgra flag promenade is. (The one off to the left)

10th street should have an urban canyon like feeling, like it used to have, in my opinion.

Yes the building to the front of the picture is the current Visitors Bureau. Wow that used to look good. Hopefully in the next 10 years or less we can have buildings occupy that flag area as well as the grassy area to the south of it.

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Midwestern wrote:I'm pretty sure this picture shows the building that used to stand where the ConAgra flag promenade is. (The one off to the left)

Great pic....thanks for posting. Those were the days. But there is hope!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:39 am

Private Label going to Treehouse Foods. Jobs will stay in Omaha.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Garrett wrote:Private Label going to Treehouse Foods. Jobs will stay in Omaha.

They plan to double the local private label workforce from 140 to 280.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:49 pm

iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:Private Label going to Treehouse Foods. Jobs will stay in Omaha.

They plan to double the local private label workforce from 140 to 280.

Good call!

TreeHouse doubles the number of former ConAgra staff to be hired

Barbara Soderlin - World-Herald staff writer wrote:The company said site selection is underway in Omaha. TreeHouse’s Omaha workers will handle customer service, finance, information technology, research and development, and supply chain roles.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I wonder where they will end up. That is a really good chunk of jobs for whatever submarket gets them.

riceweb
Home Owners Association

Postby riceweb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 am

iamjacobm wrote:I wonder where they will end up. That is a really good chunk of jobs for whatever submarket gets them.

I think this could even signal an eventual move of the Corporate HQ to Omaha. They didn't have a very large office presence in Chicago (they have 2 offices in suburban Chicago Land), and they also had a small presence in St Louis. Judging by these numbers, I'm guessing Omaha will be their largest presence now, and perhaps it would make sense to consolidate to Omaha at some point.

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:57 am

riceweb wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I wonder where they will end up. That is a really good chunk of jobs for whatever submarket gets them.

I think this could even signal an eventual move of the Corporate HQ to Omaha. They didn't have a very large office presence in Chicago (they have 2 offices in suburban Chicago Land), and they also had a small presence in St Louis. Judging by these numbers, I'm guessing Omaha will be their largest presence now, and perhaps it would make sense to consolidate to Omaha at some point.

That would be ironic. Lose a Fortune 500 HQ, but gain a HQ of the largest private label food maker.

riceweb
Home Owners Association

Postby riceweb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:05 am

skinzfan23 wrote:
riceweb wrote:

That would be ironic. Lose a Fortune 500 HQ, but gain a HQ of the largest private label food maker.

Who will likely end up on at least the Fortune 1000 after the acquisition closes.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

riceweb wrote:

Its fun speculation, but having a huge experienced talent pool in the field available here is probably what leads to the larger workforce. Maybe the Chamber can work some magic though, who knows.

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:38 am

Around 80% of what remains of my contact's department is being outsourced, with around 130 layoffs expected.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

bln813
New to the Neighborhood

Postby bln813 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Garrett, I'm covering these layoffs for the World-Herald. If you can talk about it, would you please give me a call? I don't need to use your name in the paper. Thanks, Barbara Soderlin, (402) 444-1336

Return to “Business”