HyVee Business News

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: HyVee Growth Plans

Post by nebugeater »

One difference in your HyVee / Walmart Comparison.

In HyVee they own and operate both the store and the eating space.

In Walmart the space is leased to Subway ( or whatever happens to be in that Walmart) and they are responsible for outfitting and and operate it no different than if it was a stand alone location. If busy they need there space for "their" customers.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote:One difference in your HyVee / Walmart Comparison.

In HyVee they own and operate both the store and the eating space.

In Walmart the space is leased to Subway ( or whatever happens to be in that Walmart) and they are responsible for outfitting and and operate it no different than if it was a stand alone location. If busy they need there space for "their" customers.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought "Subway" was only hung there to fool us shoppers, that it was really "Wal-Mart Sandwich Shop" in disguise. (Lol... I'm kidding. I do realize all this you explained because that was explained to me when I was kicked out of Subway. I still get irritated at Wal-Mart for selling hot food w/out providing seats, making me scarf down my food on a bench near the registers. Therefore, I don't order at their deli anymore. I'm not sure I've ordered HyVee deli or Chinese food from that experience I had either.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Anyone heard any updates on HyVee's growth plans (whispers Elkhorn location haha).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cafereef wrote:Anyone heard any updates on HyVee's growth plans (whispers Elkhorn location haha).
Looks like they are going to open 26 Walburgers location and become Wahlburgers largest franchisee...

https://www.hy-vee.com/company/press-ro ... tness.aspx
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Brad wrote:Looks like they are going to open 26 Walburgers location and become Wahlburgers largest franchisee...
The article also mentioned OrangeTheory Fitness -- there's an OrangeTheory set to open soon just up the street from the 78th & Cass Hy-Vee...close enough to cross-promote, if they wish.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Wahlburgers was founded by Mark Walburg, who is connected to Performance Inspired, a line of nutritional suppliments that is also heavly promoted and sold mostly by HyVee. They have pictures of him in the stores.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The Hy-Vee store at 180th and Pacific has converted about 10% to 15% of their floor space into a clothing store. I forget the Brand Name of the Clothing Store but it is a little strange to see an entire section of clothing racks in a Hy-Vee.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:The Hy-Vee store at 180th and Pacific has converted about 10% to 15% of their floor space into a clothing store. I forget the Brand Name of the Clothing Store but it is a little strange to see an entire section of clothing racks in a Hy-Vee.
From back a few months ago this was mentions as being tested in two Omaha and a Lincoln Store. Did this just go in or has it been there a few months?

nebugeater wrote:Have read in the recent past where HyVee is going to be testing selling some limited clothing in stores. Here is a story that says that two Omaha and Two Lincoln locations will be getting this soon.

Omaha
14591 Stony Brook Blvd.
1000 S. 178th St

Lincoln
1601 N. 84th St.
6001 Village Drive

http://www.omaha.com/money/hy-vee-is-ad ... e22f1.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:The Hy-Vee store at 180th and Pacific has converted about 10% to 15% of their floor space into a clothing store. I forget the Brand Name of the Clothing Store but it is a little strange to see an entire section of clothing racks in a Hy-Vee.
From back a few months ago this was mentions as being tested in two Omaha and a Lincoln Store. Did this just go in or has it been there a few months?
The 132 and Dodge moved the Starbucks over between the express lanes and produce section. They then turned the original coffee area in to a full husker store. Looks like a miniature husker hounds. Its absolutely packed with clothing racks.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
The 132 and Dodge moved the Starbucks over between the express lanes and produce section. They then turned the original coffee area in to a full husker store. Looks like a miniature husker hounds. Its absolutely packed with clothing racks.
So Starbucks is sort of free standing? That would be kind of like the one at Shadow Lake.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Brad wrote:
cafereef wrote:Anyone heard any updates on HyVee's growth plans (whispers Elkhorn location haha).
Looks like they are going to open 26 Walburgers location and become Wahlburgers largest franchisee...

I've heard they will open a Wahlburger's in the now closed Summer Kitchen in Bellevue. Interesting that there is no Hy-Vee in Bellevue. From what I've been told, Hy-Vee wants to build in Bellevue, but Mayor Sanders is lukewarm to the idea. Her thinking is she wants new retail that would draw people to the area, not just shift it around.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have mentioned this before, but Bellevue is the largest city in either NE or IA that doesn't have a HyVee.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I have mentioned this before, but Bellevue is the largest city in either NE or IA that doesn't have a HyVee.
Wonder if they expect those people to go to Papillion?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
So Starbucks is sort of free standing? That would be kind of like the one at Shadow Lake.
The Starbucks inside the Linden Market HyVee is more like a coffee kiosk. You order your drink, pay for it, then slide to the other end of the "bar"..grab your drink and go. There is no seating immediately around the Starbucks bar/kiosk. You can go into the cafeteria next to the deli/other foods section to sit and sip your beverage..

It can be best described as a "Starbucks grab and go"..than an actual store within a store...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
Brad wrote:
cafereef wrote:From what I've been told, Hy-Vee wants to build in Bellevue, but Mayor Sanders is lukewarm to the idea. Her thinking is she wants new retail that would draw people to the area, not just shift it around.
Does the Mayor of Bellevue really have any control over what specific businesses, such as Hy-Vee, are allowed in town? I get that they could prevent a strip club, but a specific brand of grocery store? If they can, it sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't think the mayor could prevent them from building, but they may not try to offer any incentives to build.

Also, I am not sure where a good area to put a HyVee would be anyhow.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

skinzfan23 wrote:Also, I am not sure where a good area to put a HyVee would be anyhow.
I agree completely.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

EricHaley wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Also, I am not sure where a good area to put a HyVee would be anyhow.
I agree completely.
Oh man this is an easy one...........20th to 25th & Cornhusker!......the place would be packed.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

EricHaley wrote:
I agree completely.
They won't build south (where their customer base resides) because it would be too close to Plattsmouth. They won't build west because it's too close to Shadow Lake. That leaves north Bellevue. There was talk of them building on the old concrete plant property off Cornhusker and Ft Crook. But Mayor Sanders was against it. FTR, she routinely shops at the Baker's on Galvin.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
There was talk of them building on the old concrete plant property off Cornhusker and Ft Crook. But Mayor Sanders was against it. FTR, she routinely shops at the Baker's on Galvin.
Fairway is already building there.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

I'm guessing there is no updates anyone has on the Elkhorn location :)
Cbluejays
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cbluejays »

I am guessing the same thing for the Gretna location? 192nd & hwy 370 is where I was told they were building. That setup would go along perfectly with how the 180th and Pacific and Q street locations were built. A huge housing development goes in and then on the Southwest corner HY-Vee gets built.

No disrespect to the people wanting the Elkhorn location to be built soon but lets be honest the Gretna one is more pressing. Yes Elkhorn has more people then Gretna but they already have a Hy-Vee on 156th and Maple and 180th and Pacific. Depending upon where you are in Elkhorn both locations are 5 minutes away or less. Our closest location is at least 10 to 15 minutes away. I am from Elkhorn and would love a Hy-Vee there but now that I live in Gretna I have to think about the city I live in first, haha :D

Anyway, hears to hoping we hear news about Hy-Vee building sometime soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Cbluejays wrote:I am guessing the same thing for the Gretna location? 192nd & hwy 370 is where I was told they were building. That setup would go along perfectly with how the 180th and Pacific and Q street locations were built. A huge housing development goes in and then on the Southwest corner HY-Vee gets built.

No disrespect to the people wanting the Elkhorn location to be built soon but lets be honest the Gretna one is more pressing. Yes Elkhorn has more people then Gretna but they already have a Hy-Vee on 156th and Maple and 180th and Pacific. Depending upon where you are in Elkhorn both locations are 5 minutes away or less. Our closest location is at least 10 to 15 minutes away. I am from Elkhorn and would love a Hy-Vee there but now that I live in Gretna I have to think about the city I live in first, haha :D

Anyway, hears to hoping we hear news about Hy-Vee building sometime soon.

Welcome to the Forum from another Gretna person.

I have heard from someone I trust with good connections to HyVee that the next new store in the area will be along 370 with a Gretna base. Of course that can all change and until there is an official announcement we will never really know.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cafereef wrote:I'm guessing there is no updates anyone has on the Elkhorn location :)
There are no building permits issued yet. Remember the 180th and Pacific location? They sat on that land for about a decade...
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Brad wrote: Remember the 180th and Pacific location? They sat on that land for about a decade...
Going back even farther, there were neighborhood rumors about the new HyVee at Saddle Creek and Center for a long time before it opened. Perhaps because the old store there needed serious upgrading.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I have mentioned this before, but Bellevue is the largest city in either NE or IA that doesn't have a HyVee.
Wonder if they expect those people to go to Papillion?
A lot of them go to Plattsmouth Hy-Vee.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I doubt many go to to the Plattsmouth HyVee, especially right now with all the construction on Hwy 75. I and many others in my neighborhood go to the Shadow Lake store. With Capehart being open all the way from 36th to 72nd, it really isn't that bad of a drive.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
Brad wrote:

I've heard they will open a Wahlburger's in the now closed Summer Kitchen in Bellevue. Interesting that there is no Hy-Vee in Bellevue. From what I've been told, Hy-Vee wants to build in Bellevue, but Mayor Sanders is lukewarm to the idea. Her thinking is she wants new retail that would draw people to the area, not just shift it around.
Perhaps now that Rita Sanders isn't seeking another term as mayor, Bellevue can get a HyVee!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Hyvee announced yesterday that they will be building a new On Line Ordering Fulfillment center in Omaha, Kansas City and the Twin Cities. No exact location or time has been announced. There is one in Des Moines already.

There is also some mention of smaller store format growth.

http://www.omaha.com/money/hy-vee-plans ... 6bfec.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:08 am
Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 am $520k renovation planned at the 180th & Pacific Hy-Vee.
Might be getting a Market Grill? They already have all the “new stuff” like the clothing store and the bath products.
That is about the price for other Market Grill renovations.
Didn't we hear the Elkhorn Hy-Vee would not begin until all the Market Grills were built?
How many Hy-Vees have yet to get one?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 am
Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:08 am $520k renovation planned at the 180th & Pacific Hy-Vee.
Might be getting a Market Grill? They already have all the “new stuff” like the clothing store and the bath products.
Didn't we hear the Elkhorn Hy-Vee would not begin until all the Market Grills were built?
As far as I know-180 and Q, 156th and Maple, and 180th and Pacific. Possibly Cass too, I forget.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Louie wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
As far as I know-180 and Q, 156th and Maple, and 180th and Pacific. Possibly Cass too, I forget.
Peony Park on Cass does not have one.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Padre wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:17 pm
Louie wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:34 pm
Peony Park on Cass does not have one.
Boom. So 4 remain. I do think Maple should be close to getting theirs.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Does anyone really think it’s fun to eat a meal in a Hy-Vee? I just don’t get it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am Does anyone really think it’s fun to eat a meal in a Hy-Vee? I just don’t get it.
There are A LOT worse options.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am Does anyone really think it’s fun to eat a meal in a Hy-Vee? I just don’t get it.
As someone who visits grocery stores daily for work, I actually used to like getting the salad buffett. But ever since the Market Grilles have been going in, I stopped. It's way too slow paced when I just wanted a quick healthy meal.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Louie wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:13 pm
As someone who visits grocery stores daily for work, I actually used to like getting the salad buffett. But ever since the Market Grilles have been going in, I stopped. It's way too slow paced when I just wanted a quick healthy meal.
Do the Market Grille stores no longer have a salad bar?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Padre wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:15 pm
Yes, however if you are going to eat in store the full service Market Grilles require you to eat in the restaurant area and give you a server and wait for your ticket and all this other jazz.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

No I do not enjoy eating at HyVee very much at all! I hate it! It draws a certain crowd. Always has. Nutty half crazy old men have always loved the place. Mostly old and senile love it. My friends 86 year old Dad who is a hoarder eats at the Hy-Vee on 89th & Cass everyday. His day is built around it.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Louie wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:51 pm
Padre wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:15 pm
Yes, however if you are going to eat in store the full service Market Grilles require you to eat in the restaurant area and give you a server and wait for your ticket and all this other jazz.
This is not the case. Yes, to dine in you have to enter the market grill because that's where the seating is, but they don't require you to be waited on. Usually there is a section for service and one without. I pay at the counter and go sit down with my all-you-can-eat salad bar at least once every two weeks, and have been doing so for some time.

Now, if you want to discuss why only certain stores offer soup with the all-you-can-eat salad bar, that's a discussion that needs to be had with corporate. Though if you're wondering: 180th and Pacific, 90th and Center, 50th and Center, and 108th and Fort all include it.