Cabela's wouldn't take my card without using PIN no.

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Cabela's wouldn't take my card without using PIN no.

Post by bigredmed1 »

Went to Cabela's today. Went to pay. The cashier would only let me make the purchase in debit mode with my PIN. This is not as safe for the consumer and I don't make these transactions. She said that they just got new terminals last week.

Anyone else run into this?
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Cabela's wouldn't take my card without using PIN no.

Post by jessep28 »

That's really strange. It can be hard to find, but usually there's an option on the card reader to skip the PIN prompt and run the transaction as a credit. Maybe the cashier didn't know what they were talking about.

Stores want check card transactions run as an ACH debit due to lower interchange fees. I'm like you though: I want the extra purchase protection Visa or Mastercard provides by running it through their network.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

jessep28 wrote:That's really strange. It can be hard to find, but usually there's an option on the card reader to skip the PIN prompt and run the transaction as a credit. Maybe the cashier didn't know what they were talking about.

Stores want check card transactions run as an ACH debit due to lower interchange fees. I'm like you though: I want the extra purchase protection Visa or Mastercard provides by running it through their network.
She said that since getting the new readers, the credit option is no longer available.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Just use a credit card. Even more protections.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Why the hesitation for using a PIN?

Greg
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I would think that PIN payments would safer. Here in England both credit and debit cards require PIN with chip transactions and can only be swiped w/o a pin after multiple chip (or reader) malfunction errors. I've also had my American debit card be required to use a pin at a grocery store in Boston.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Greg S wrote:Why the hesitation for using a PIN?

Greg
When you use the Visa/Mastercard system, you get protections against over charges or other errors. If you use a PIN debit transaction, it just comes out of your bank as if you withdrew it. You are on your own if there was an error.

Using a PIN leaves you at more risk for skimmers and other nefarious hackers who get your account number and PIN number listed on the transaction record. You leave yourself more exposed to this kind of crime. Which is why my wife, the credit counselor, made me promise to never do that.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Why the hesitation for using a PIN?

Greg
When you use the Visa/Mastercard system, you get protections against over charges or other errors. If you use a PIN debit transaction, it just comes out of your bank as if you withdrew it. You are on your own if there was an error.

Using a PIN leaves you at more risk for skimmers and other nefarious hackers who get your account number and PIN number listed on the transaction record. You leave yourself more exposed to this kind of crime. Which is why my wife, the credit counselor, made me promise to never do that.
Your wife would be correct..

To reinforce your points, you are overall correct. I work in the arena of bank/cc Fraud..

Even with a chip card, protect yourself when you can- select the credit option over debit..and don't shop at stores that run a Visa/MC transaction as PIN only..But if you have to, use cash...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

lmdramos wrote:I would think that PIN payments would safer. Here in England both credit and debit cards require PIN with chip transactions and can only be swiped w/o a pin after multiple chip (or reader) malfunction errors. I've also had my American debit card be required to use a pin at a grocery store in Boston.
See the other responses.