Streck

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Streck

Post by Coyote »

Streck recently paid $5m for this 26 acre parcel in Harrison Hills, just down the street from their 14 acre facility in the Brook Valley Business Park. I hope they create a nice campus because this will be seen across Papillion Creek from the Nebraska Multisports Complex.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (163.78 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
ita
County Board

Re: Streck

Post by ita »

Streck sweetens the pot for new workers by building apartments for them
Cindy Gonzalez
Connie Ryan runs a La Vista-based biotech company that just expanded and is eager for more growth — yet she recently saw trouble looming.

Streck Inc. is based in a worker-starved state with a persistently low unemployment rate that recently dipped to a new record — the lowest in the country.

Moreover, Streck operates in Sarpy County, which has some of the priciest new housing and rents around.

So how, Ryan wondered, was her 400-employee company going to attract enough hourly workers and fresh college graduates necessary to sustain the operation — let alone grow into the future?

In an unusual move, perhaps unique in the Omaha area’s recent history, Ryan and her team have decided to build Streck’s own apartment complex to rent to employees at a discount.

Viewed as a recruitment and retention tool, the 84-unit residential structure will rise south of 117th and Harrison Streets — just steps away from the company’s new multimillion-dollar manufacturing and information technology addition.

Ryan, the company’s chief executive, said the complex is aimed mostly at employees starting at $16 to $21 an hour who would like to work at Streck and live nearby but can’t afford the area’s housing.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebraska wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:47 am Image
I drove by this development over the weekend. It’s looking great..

Nice pic :thumb:

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Saw this in this week's market report (https://growomaha.com/weekly-market-rep ... ch-9-2023/):
Madison Industries, one of the world’s largest privately held companies, has acquired La Vista-based Streck, the inventor of hematology reference controls and a global leader in the development and manufacturing of laboratory products. Madison is based in Chicago. Streck was founded in 1971 sells its products to more than 13,000 labs in 65 countries.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Employer-built ‘affordable’ housing in Sarpy County aims to help recruit and retain workers
Cindy Gonzales
For six years, Ashley Plack had a house. She also worked two jobs to pay the bills and, with the maintenance demands of a homeowner, had little time to herself.

Recently she sold the house, moved into a studio apartment in a residential complex built by her employer, Streck, and figures she has shaved expenses by up to $500 a month.

While the newly opened apartments, in Plack’s case, did not serve necessarily as a recruitment tool — she’s been working for two years at the biotech company — it may very well be among the reasons she stays.

“I actually have my weekends and evenings to do stuff,” Plack said Wednesday during an open house event at Streck’s newly built apartments, The Nest.

Plack is among the first wave of 15 Streck employees to move into the 84-unit “affordable housing” complex that Streck leaders built as a way to have an edge in talent recruitment and retention.

Streck leaders call the $15 million Nest project affordable — not because it was built with public funding or linked to a government subsidy (it was not) — but because they have pledged to discount rents for employees.
Article mentions that a studio is $570 and a 2 bed $1100.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

So what happens if they live in those apartments and then later separate from the company? Do they get evicted?
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

EricHaley wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:40 pm So what happens if they live in those apartments and then later separate from the company? Do they get evicted?
I would imagine that is addressed in the lease agreement. Something to the effect of, "If your employment with Streck is terminated you have 90 days to vacate the apartment."

Personally, constantly bumping into my coworkers in my off-time sounds horrific. Imagine the annoying coworker you go out of your way to avoid at work is suddenly living in the apartment across the hall from you. Likewise, imagine neighborly disputes getting dragged into the office. Your boss calls you in, "Susan, John was just in my office telling me your TV volume was turned way up and he had to hear it through the floor in his apartment late into the night." You call in sick but several of your neighbors/coworkers report you coming and going from your apartment as if nothing was wrong.

No, thank you.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

These have a lease like a typical apartment and you get to stay until the end of your lease.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Here's some clarification from the article:
And rent discounts are based on employee financial needs.

While the apartments were opened first to current employees, Ryan said housing will be advertised with new job postings (there are about 20 openings now). Eventually, apartments will open to the public at market rates, though Ryan expects some units to be reserved for out-of-town recruits who might need housing.