Toast (1926 S 67th St suite 200)

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Toast (1926 S 67th St suite 200)

Post by Coyote »

Tech company explores Omaha for new office that could employ hundreds
By Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:An out-of-town technology company is exploring Omaha sites to possibly open an office that could employ hundreds of people.

The company focuses on electronic restaurant point-of-sale systems. (Think a modern version of a cash register.) Its software also deals with restaurant management, inventory, sales data and loyalty programs, according to company materials.

The mayor said, "I will tell you we just landed a great tech company. Just found out the other day they're going to build downtown. And, originally it's going to create 200 to 300 jobs and eventually around 1,000 jobs,"
Professor Woland
Library Board

Re: Toast

Post by Professor Woland »

Maybe just the thing to reverse two years of crappy news.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Potentially 1,000 employees downtown? If they do a new build that could be a big structure.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Garrett wrote:Potentially 1,000 employees downtown? If they do a new build that could be a big structure.
1,000 is about the size of HDR's current Omaha workforce. So maybe a 10-15 story building depending on the layout.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Garrett wrote:Potentially 1,000 employees downtown? If they do a new build that could be a big structure.
1,000 is about the size of HDR's current Omaha workforce. So maybe a 10-15 story building depending on the layout.
Perhaps, in the long term, they could be the office tenant in either the Lanoha or Civic development.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I have heard Con Agra is the likely landing spot. A couple conversations/rehabs are on the short list as well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I have heard Con Agra is the likely landing spot. A couple conversations/rehabs are on the short list as well.
This is getting good. Exactly a shot in the arm the Downtown Core needs..

A very significant and exciting devlopment for downtown Omaha :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:I have heard Con Agra is the likely landing spot. A couple conversations/rehabs are on the short list as well.
This is getting good. Exactly a shot in the arm the Downtown Core needs..

A very significant and exciting devlopment for downtown Omaha :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
If Toast can find the qualified employees it needs. This isn't a done deal. The OWH said the company is considering Omaha.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

choke wrote: This isn't a done deal. The OWH said the company is considering Omaha.
They sound like a salesman using the "assumptive close" prematurely. Some of the biggest risks of using the assumptive close too soon are that it can spook the prospect or make them feel uncomfortable thus causing them to drift in another direction.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Okay, I've got a little scoop. I've figured out the guy I'm selling my house to is re-locating from Phoenix. He's a graduate of University of Nebraska (obviously ties to the area) and has recently taken a job with Grubhub (thank you Linkedin)... which is partnering with Toast! What does he do with Grubhub? He's a recruiter. ;)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Don't want to get my hopes up until something official comes out, but seems like a lot of smoke to this.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:Don't want to get my hopes up until something official comes out, but seems like a lot of smoke to this.
The more I read about Omaha's role, the more it makes sense. It sounds like it is basically the same thing that Omaha is doing for First Data. Except, First Data is a little more entrenched in the city because it started here. I was skeptical but not so much now. It's just a call center. That's right up our alley.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

As someone who works in tech and follows tech companies, it seems likely that the presence of West, First Data, and PayPal are factors that would lead this company to locate call center operations here. There's already a presence of experienced employees, and they could benefit from that. Seems unlikely that there will be many if any tech jobs here.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Not a done deal but at least spokesperson acknowledges that Toast will open an office in Omaha:

http://www.omaha.com/money/restaurant-t ... 42c97.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The press release from Toast.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... t-500.html
“We’re experiencing yet another exceptional year at Toast, all thanks to our loyal customers, employees, partners and investors,” said Chris Comparato, CEO of Toast. “Our team is thrilled to be recognized as one of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. and will continue to deliver on our promise to be obsessed with customer success. Without our restaurant clients and industry-leading team, we could not have been ranked third on Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™.”

In addition to its Deloitte 2017 Technology Fast 500™ listing, Toast saw the following in 2017:

Expanded its Boston headquarters, opened a Dublin-based office in October, and set plans to establish a new business operations center in Omaha, Nebraska beginning in early 2018; Announced raising over $100 million as part of its Series C financing; Added SynergySuite, YellowDog, Harri, PeachWorks, and more to its best-in-class partner ecosystem, the Toast API Partner Program; Graduated from the Forbes 2016 Cloud 100: Rising Stars list to the Forbes 2017 Cloud 100, the definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world; and, Revealed its third annual Toast Restaurant Technology in 2017 Industry Report. Toast offers advanced functionality to manage day-to-day operations of the restaurant, including quick menu modifications, real-time enterprise reporting and labor management on an easy-to-use interface. The Toast Restaurant POS features include revenue-driving tools such as physical and digital gift cards, loyalty programs and online ordering.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

It's pretty much a done deal. From the company web site and others...

https://pos.toasttab.com/ Company Home Page

https://pos.toasttab.com/careers/job-li ... jid=913437 Sales Recruiter

https://pos.toasttab.com/careers/job-li ... jid=902342 Help Desk Manager

https://pos.toasttab.com/careers/job-li ... jid=913105 Customer Support Team Lead

Here's the one you're looking for. It includes the Omaha office announcement. https://pos.toasttab.com/toast/news/toa ... y-fast-500

The company was founded in 2013. It now has over 500 employees, is based in Boston and just opened an office in Dublin, Ireland. Plans call for rapid growth in hiring next year. Dublin is a high tech hub. Lumping Omaha in with Boston and Dublin is big.

Now, as far as the Boston office, it's in a fairly nondescript building, from the outside. Older, rehabbed. Where is it? Near downtown Boston, about 2 blocks from Fenway Park. The usual products nearby...Starbucks, tons of restaurants, a movie theater, REI, etc., etc. Where in Omaha should they be? Short answer, anywhere would do. Kiewit area? That works. North Downtown? Maybe. Downtown? That works too. Out west in the suburbs? I guess. I'm not sure the location matters as much as the company culture. I'd guess they are open 24/7 and the Boston office has all the goodies, food, play area, quiet area, colaberation area, and the Omaha office probably will have some if not all of that. If they really are looking at having hundreds of people in Omaha parking and transit will be a big deal. You guys know Omaha better than me. Where would be a good place? Really Conagra campus?

Ok, so what's the bottom line? You want this kind of company opening an office in your town.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

So.....just call center operations? Likely the lowest paying of their jobs?

Well, I guess any little bit helps the economy.
No posts exist for this topic
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

MadMartin8 wrote:So.....just call center operations? Likely the lowest paying of their jobs?

Well, I guess any little bit helps the economy.
I hope it's not just another call center.

Depending on how low the wages are, there's research that shows it does the opposite of help the economy.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I hope it's not just another call center.
Omaha is no longer a prime market for call centers. The biggies have scaled back their call center operations in Omaha because, among other factors, the price point of quality workers is too high. Other markets such as Las Vegas, college-town Texas, etc., are more conducive to large scale call centers.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I mean on of the few jobs available is sales recruiter. I obviously don't know their business model, but maybe there will be a decent amount of sales people based out of Omaha.

The customer support lead team does sound like there could be a sort of call center aspect. I think having B2B call center jobs has got to be more attractive to employees than dealing with John Smith's credit card issue at First Data.

We will see when more info comes out, if there is a sizable group of people based out of Omaha in their sales department that might travel for work that would be nice, then the same office offering the support staff for restaurants to call with questions troubles exc.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

It sounds like it will be more than just a call center, though there will be some aspect to that. The OWH article does specifically say "high paying tech jobs" or something to that effect.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote:It sounds like it will be more than just a call center, though there will be some aspect to that. The OWH article does specifically say "high paying tech jobs" or something to that effect.
Agreed..

My sense is, this will be more than just another “call center”. This is a significant get for Omaha and the downtown core. Toast has only confirmed the leaked rumor that indeed they will be opening up operations in Omaha at some point in 2018..Let’s wait until they give us the specific detail(s) of the jobs that are being created before minimizing the confirmed announcement...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It doesn’t appear to be a call center operation to me. Updated article from the W-H:

“A Boston-based software company will employ “at least a few hundred” people in Omaha in the next few years, one of its top executives said Friday.

The company, Toast Inc., announced this week that it chose Omaha as the place to plant its first U.S. corporate flag outside its home city. The company makes restaurant point-of-sales systems that take payments from customers and help establishments take care of inventory, personnel and other business-management functions.”..

The story link:

http://www.omaha.com/money/amazing-food ... 075f5.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nice! Hope they find something downtown that they like. Maybe they’ll go thto route of leasing temporary digs until they build a more suitable building for themselves.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Nice! Hope they find something downtown that they like. Maybe they’ll go thto route of leasing temporary digs until they build a more suitable building for themselves.
Agreed :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:It doesn’t appear to be a call center operation to me. Updated article from the W-H:

“A Boston-based software company will employ “at least a few hundred” people in Omaha in the next few years, one of its top executives said Friday.

The company, Toast Inc., announced this week that it chose Omaha as the place to plant its first U.S. corporate flag outside its home city. The company makes restaurant point-of-sales systems that take payments from customers and help establishments take care of inventory, personnel and other business-management functions.”..

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

"As for Omaha, he said: “This is going to be a sizable office for us. We expect to have at least a few hundred (employees) in the next few years.” The Omaha staff will work in every aspect of the company — including positions in sales, software and customer satisfaction."

I feel better now. Kind of.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:It doesn’t appear to be a call center operation to me. Updated article from the W-H:

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

"As for Omaha, he said: “This is going to be a sizable office for us. We expect to have at least a few hundred (employees) in the next few years.” The Omaha staff will work in every aspect of the company — including positions in sales, software and customer satisfaction."

As you should, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Rumor floating around there's another tech company from out of town looking at Omaha too? ???
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

As you should, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I just keep thinking that "sales" could mean telesales (glorified call center), customer satisfaction (most certainly call center).... and that ultimately it'll be 90% call center, and 10% support staff. Naturally, we'll have to wait and see, but I have my "MTO (Trademark)" Pessimistic glasses on right now about the true impact we'll see.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:I just keep thinking that "sales" could mean telesales (glorified call center), customer satisfaction (most certainly call center).... and that ultimately it'll be 90% call center, and 10% support staff. Naturally, we'll have to wait and see, but I have my "MTO (Trademark)" Pessimistic glasses on right now about the true impact we'll see.
Take it at face value. They like the old market and downtown. They do pretty nice build outs with all the goodies. They recruit young staff. They started in Boston in a basement & now employ over 700. They have sales offices (read as remote sales people probably working out of their houses) across the country, including Des Moines. They are a fast growth company with big money behind them. They are recruiting not just call center workers for Omaha and it may just be that they grow other departments in Omaha such as IT or accounting. We really don't know their plans for Omaha except that it's the second location in the US and third worldwide. I still wonder what exactly brought them to Omaha. Cost of space? Cost of workers? Location? Obviously they didn't talk to Conagra's head, whatever that kid's name is. Are they going to move the whole company from Boston? Doubt it. On the other hand, stranger things have happened. Read the owh story about Winnebago. They are sneaking out of Forest City, Iowa and moving executives and others to Minneapolis.

As for Toast, whatever their motivation and plans they are opening an office in Omaha and plan to hire more than a couple of dozen people. I'm not sure I see a downside.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I just keep thinking that "sales" could mean telesales (glorified call center), customer satisfaction (most certainly call center).... and that ultimately it'll be 90% call center, and 10% support staff. Naturally, we'll have to wait and see, but I have my "MTO (Trademark)" Pessimistic glasses on right now about the true impact we'll see.
Take it at face value. They like the old market and downtown. They do pretty nice build outs with all the goodies. They recruit young staff. They started in Boston in a basement & now employ over 700. They have sales offices (read as remote sales people probably working out of their houses) across the country, including Des Moines. They are a fast growth company with big money behind them. They are recruiting not just call center workers for Omaha and it may just be that they grow other departments in Omaha such as IT or accounting. We really don't know their plans for Omaha except that it's the second location in the US and third worldwide. I still wonder what exactly brought them to Omaha. Cost of space? Cost of workers? Location? Obviously they didn't talk to Conagra's head, whatever that kid's name is. Are they going to move the whole company from Boston? Doubt it. On the other hand, stranger things have happened. Read the owh story about Winnebago. They are sneaking out of Forest City, Iowa and moving executives and others to Minneapolis.

As for Toast, whatever their motivation and plans they are opening an office in Omaha and plan to hire more than a couple of dozen people. I'm not sure I see a downside.
As to what brought them to Omaha, this part of the W-H piece might bring some insight:

“Omaha appealed to Toast because of the city’s already established base of tech companies — like PayPal — and its business community’s culture of entrepreneurship, said Tim Barash, Toast’s chief financial officer.

And one more thing caught the company executives’ eyes, Barash said: Omaha’s restaurants.

“It was just meal after meal of amazing food and amazing entrepreneurs” when executives came to town over the past few months, Barash said Friday in an interview. “We’re excited about coming to Omaha and becoming a piece of the restaurant world.””..

I don't see any downside either.. and I don’t get, really, why the announcement is getting doubted or minimized. Omaha is a great city to do business in and offers a very diverse and robust economy. It doesn’t surprise me in the least why Toast decided to bring a significant office to Omaha. This is a WIN for Omaha. And if the rumor that another Tech company is looking into Omaha too (as OmahaJaysCU noted here), then the fact that Toast has decided to locate in Omaha, enhances the possibility of more tech companies placing Omaha on their radars..

The real question to me, is why Toast (or any other Tech company looking to expand) wouldn’t want to be in Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

As to what brought them to Omaha, this part of the W-H piece might bring some insight:

“Omaha appealed to Toast because of the city’s already established base of tech companies — like PayPal — and its business community’s culture of entrepreneurship, said Tim Barash, Toast’s chief financial officer.

And one more thing caught the company executives’ eyes, Barash said: Omaha’s restaurants.

“It was just meal after meal of amazing food and amazing entrepreneurs” when executives came to town over the past few months, Barash said Friday in an interview. “We’re excited about coming to Omaha and becoming a piece of the restaurant world.””..

I don't see any downside either.. and I don’t get, really, why the announcement is getting doubted or minimized. Omaha is a great city to do business in and offers a very diverse and robust economy. It doesn’t surprise me in the least why Toast decided to bring a significant office to Omaha. This is a WIN for Omaha. And if the rumor that another Tech company is looking into Omaha too (as OmahaJaysCU noted here), then the fact that Toast has decided to locate in Omaha, enhances the possibility of more tech companies placing Omaha on their radars..

The real question to me, is why Toast (or any other Tech company looking to expand) wouldn’t want to be in Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Merely trying to be a realist with my expectations on what they are actually going to locate here, and to the extent on which this will impact. Lots of folks immediately wets their pants on these announcements (dreaming of towers, huge downtown booms, etc.) in excitement only to be disappointed when they don't exactly live up to what they were expecting. I'll repeat, any jobs are good and they help the economy, I am happy they have chosen Omaha for anything. I just want to see what unfolds before I start overplaying things. As has been stated, we don't know their plans, and I choose to remain guarded is all given what we do know.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

In any case, good get for Omaha and let’s see how this shakes out over the next 18-24 months. I’m pretty excited about the potential in that Toast coming to Omaha may spark other tech companies to take a long, fair look at the Omaha metro...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:In any case, good get for Omaha and let’s see how this shakes out over the next 18-24 months. I’m pretty excited about the potential in that Toast coming to Omaha may spark other tech companies to take a long, fair look at the Omaha metro
I agree. If other companies see this fast rising Tech company choosing Omaha, reads about all the great local entrepreneurs and the fine dining in Omaha, this is a great PR coup.
TwoPups
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TwoPups »

Super excited about the Toast news. Also posting in this thread so the K-Mart discussion isn't at the top.

I'd rather focus on an exciting tech company choosing to locate a substantial part of their business operations in Omaha than discuss a Big Box store that topped out in the early 1990s.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Toast is currently renting temporary space in the Landmark bldg. Talking to a couple of people who work there it is definitely temp space.
Back Home in Omaha!
Imissomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Imissomaha »

Toast is moving into Empty space in the Gavilon
skers5xnc
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skers5xnc »

Imissomaha wrote:Toast is moving into Empty space in the Gavilon
Nope. That is going to an insurance company.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

skers5xnc wrote:
Imissomaha wrote:Toast is moving into Empty space in the Gavilon
Nope. That is going to an insurance company.
Metlife?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.ketv.com/article/want-to-mov ... e/20908517
The point-of-sale company servicing restaurants will put its Omaha office inside Central Park Plaza.

Boston-based Toast chose the red office towers that anchor the iconic image of the city from the Gene Leahy Mall. Eventually, its Omaha office will employ around 400 people.
Two firm announcements for rumors we have been told for a while.