News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: The Omaha Chamber of Commerce

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
choke wrote:Per Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer:
In 'brutally tough' decision, Omaha chamber's senior VP for economic development resigns for Denver job
https://shenandoah-medical-center---agf ... /main.html
Probably wanted to say close to the people controlling Pepper Jax
Ha!.. Nice one..

And you know, if that’s truly the case, what’s that they say- “Don’t let the door hit you in the a s s on the way out..” :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
In 'brutally tough' decision, Omaha chamber's senior VP for economic development resigns for Denver job
Ha!.. Nice one..

And you know, if that’s truly the case, what’s that they say- “Don’t let the door hit you in the a s s on the way out..” :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I fixed the link on my post. I was on a LogMeIn session as well when I posted and copied the wrong link. LOL. The link points to the story in the OWH now.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Ha!.. Nice one..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I fixed the link on my post. I was on a LogMeIn session as well when I posted and copied the wrong link. LOL. The link points to the story in the OWH now.
Cool. Thanks :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/chamber-of-c ... 20861.html
The Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce wants to ensure that the future occupant of its longtime downtown home is a good fit for the city’s urban core.

So on Thursday, it invited about 60 chamber members to submit purchase proposals that would include details on how bidders would use the property.

“We’re not just going to take the highest bidder,” said spokesman Pete Thompson. “Because we’re the chamber, and we do care about what happens with the community, we want the space to be used in a way that’s going to enhance the community.”
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

On GrowOmaha on Saturday, Jeff said he is expecting something "big and substantial" to be built on the Chamber site.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

CyborgKen wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 pm On GrowOmaha on Saturday, Jeff said he is expecting something "big and substantial" to be built on the Chamber site.
Well David Brown from the chamber is the guest this Saturday so maybe we can get an announcement on their plans.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

CyborgKen wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 pm On GrowOmaha on Saturday, Jeff said he is expecting something "big and substantial" to be built on the Chamber site.
2 story full block office building.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Louie wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am
That's confirmed?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

CyborgKen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm
That's confirmed?
Oh god no. I was being facetious.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That's if we're lucky. My guess is "greenspace".
No posts exist for this topic
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Louie wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 pm
CyborgKen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm
That's confirmed?
Oh god no. I was being facetious.
Haha oh ok. I was going to be so disappointed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They didn't say what Is going in, but it sounds like the building will be demolished to make way for something substantial.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm hoping for a 1,000 unit apartment building. :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/development/ ... a717d.html
A developer is negotiating to buy the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce's former location at 13th and Harney Streets, chamber CEO David Brown said Tuesday.

He declined to identify the buyer but said it would clear the site and build a "denser use" project that would enhance that part of downtown.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm http://www.omaha.com/money/development/ ... a717d.html
A developer is negotiating to buy the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce's former location at 13th and Harney Streets, chamber CEO David Brown said Tuesday.

He declined to identify the buyer but said it would clear the site and build a "denser use" project that would enhance that part of downtown.
Hmm.. the plot thickens.
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

daveoma wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 pm I'm hoping for a 1,000 unit apartment building. :D
$billion.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Was told again that we should hear something about the old Chamber site "soon" and that the delay is due to all of the competing development looking for tenants....
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I was told this will become office for an architecture firm. They will reuse/redesign the existing structure. Apparently the hotel deal that would have involved a demo/rebuild of the whole block fell through.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

That's weak.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Louie wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 amThat's weak.
And yet not unexpected. How on earth is there not one person on the planet with the financial ability, foresight, vision, Hal-Daub-Balls-To-The-Wall, WhyNotOmaha, who wants to build a 20 story condo/apartment/pool on the roof tower somewhere in downtown Omaha?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That's really too bad if they can't build something better on this site. The location is amazing--it's a part of the old market and very close to the Gene Leahy mall. Especially all of the apparent and continuing demand for downtown apartments, I'd be shocked if they kept the existing structure.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

NovakOmaha wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 am
Louie wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:44 amThat's weak.
And yet not unexpected. How on earth is there not one person on the planet with the financial ability, foresight, vision, Hal-Daub-Balls-To-The-Wall, WhyNotOmaha, who wants to build a 20 story condo/apartment/pool on the roof tower somewhere in downtown Omaha?
The residential tower in the GLM redevelopment renderings and videos looks to be near as tall as the Woodmen. Hopefully that comes to fruition as Grow Omaha said that every building in those renderings will be built.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I just listened to the last episode of grow Omaha. Magid mentioned a Meeting of regional leaders at the Chamber and possible announcement that was to occur today. Did anyone carth what was announced today? Magid thought it would be the official announcement for who is behind project wizard.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ita wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 pm I just listened to the last episode of grow Omaha. Magid mentioned a Meeting of regional leaders at the Chamber and possible announcement that was to occur today. Did anyone carth what was announced today? Magid thought it would be the official announcement for who is behind project wizard.
I heard Trenton mention that on the show Saturday morning.. But no announcement was made today...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It was announced yesterday we won that Site Selection Magazine award again. The Chamber usually makes a big deal out of that.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:48 am It was announced yesterday we won that Site Selection Magazine award again. The Chamber usually makes a big deal out of that.
Ah I see. I saw an article last night in the Journal Star about that and that the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro ranked 1st among 2nd tier cities for economic development and Lincoln 4th. Another great accolade for the region, but I was hoping for a project announcement/confirmation!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The Omaha Chamber and Lincoln Chamber joined dozens of other chambers of commerce across the county in a letter directed to Congress to insure protections or DREAMERS and TPS immigrants. Pres. Brown cites these individuals' playing a large part in bolstering Nebraska's economy as well as other helping feed the need for workers and talent across the State. The OWH article includes a quote of the full letter sent to Congress.

https://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-linco ... 9041c.html
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

On another note, I don't understand why (and maybe they did & just didn't share the details) the chamber didn't agressively pursue more large warehousing and distribution centers. I know there are some but for instance Amazon. I'm not talking about the recently announced center but one of the huge regional ones, 1,000,000 square feet or more. Kansas City has landed quite a few of the distribution centers. They may not pay as much as high tech but these places can employ 100 or more easily. As Omaha is on I 80 it would seem to be a no brainer, certainly no less attractive than metro KC.
An example: Overstock.com signed a lease in September 2018 on over 1/2 million square feet that will employ over 100 and pay above average. Why KC? "Chris Gutierrez, president of freight-based economic development firm KC SmartPort, said he met Overstock.com officials at a retail logistics conference in February where he was promoting the city as a distribution hotbed."
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The Chamber is working on a transportation strategy for Greater Omaha as part of Prosper 2.0. The program is named ConnectGO per the news release.

https://www.omahachamber.org/bold-trans ... direction/

They have already begun community outreach, surveying at Native Omaha Days. They will be at MAHA as well, but they have an online survey you can fill out and give you input in what kind of transportation the City needs to consider, among other things. Fill it out and pass it along to people you know so our voices will be heard.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5145846/ ... Survey-1-0
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

ita wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:08 pm The Chamber is working on a transportation strategy for Greater Omaha as part of Prosper 2.0. The program is named ConnectGO per the news release.

https://www.omahachamber.org/bold-trans ... direction/

They have already begun community outreach, surveying at Native Omaha Days. They will be at MAHA as well, but they have an online survey you can fill out and give you input in what kind of transportation the City needs to consider, among other things. Fill it out and pass it along to people you know so our voices will be heard.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5145846/ ... Survey-1-0
This is a positive sign. Thanks for sharing and great find!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Per yesterday's OWH article on the update, Otoe County/Nebraska City is joining the Chamber's economic development arm. It allows Otoe county to have the national and international reach of the Chamber, and the Chamber to have expanded sites and workforce to offer to potential employers. The Chamber's reach is becoming more and more significant in the region and the partnership, though I am not sure what Otoe/Nebraska City offers that other counties and municipalities do not. The article does mention they have a barge terminal, though I could not find any information on it online.

https://www.omaha.com/money/a-win-for-b ... d7985.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the rail line that served the barge terminal was washed away in a flood this spring. Railroads can fix that in a week, but not sure if they had other flooding issues too?
Barge
Nebraska City is bordered on the east by the Missouri River. A municipal terminal facility is currently leased to a private company utilizing barge loading and unloading in their operations. Barge traffic on the Missouri River has remained an integral part of Nebraska City’s commerce over the years and continues to play a role. For more information contact director@nebraskacityareaedc.org

Nebraska City’s centralized location in the United States, as well as close proximity to major highways, Interstate systems, river barge traffic and available rail service, makes this location a great fit for manufacturing, warehousing, distribution and commercial development.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The chamber released it's annual report for 2019. It includes a lot of what David brown covered in the most recent grow Omaha show,.but something that wasn't talked about are a few studies coming from the urban core committee for in the areas of Governance, Housing, Retail and Site Design. I know some people moan at the report of more studies but I they are needed when trends, economies, population, and technologies continue to change as frequently as they do.

https://www.omahachamber.org/2019annualreport/
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Inside the Site Selection Process

Since the Grow Omaha show with David Brown, I have been prodding the Chamber about more information about the prospects and projects they landed. While they have obligations under non-disclosures, they did release a article about how their site selection process works. I think it is instructive about part of what the Chamber does for our region.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

Speaking of “prodding the Chamber of Commerce” ...

Can I see a show of hands of people wondering if they are working on replacements for our loss of 2020 events? I have my doubts.

Let me put this forward. Major League Baseball. When they finally start their season, MLB will need at least two weeks of “spring” training. Arizona will be too hot. Florida too humid. Omaha summers are relatively mild. We have a MLB quality stadium downtown and an adequate stadium in West O. Creighton and UNO have workout facilities. Even dorm rooms.

The Chamber should lure 3-6 teams to hold their new “spring training” in Omaha. It will make up some lost revenue from CWS.

Omaha should work on these types of things NOW.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Millennials are Exiting Atlanta: Omaha Offers Alternative
Atlanta’s millennials are moving. When citybizlist announced “Atlanta lost more millennials than it gained,” researchers took note, crunching comparatives from average home prices to median incomes.

Take Omaha, for example, where the average home price of $176,900 bests the $259,000 average-home-price in Atlanta, according to Best Places comparatives.

Best Places also notes Atlanta is “19.7 percent more expensive than Omaha,” with such everyday expenses as transportation, utilities and groceries outpacing Omaha – a metro Lattice Publishing named the No. 3 “best-paying midsize metro for millennial women.”

“There’s a real intersection of elements that makes Greater Omaha a remarkable place to live,” said David G. Brown, president and CEO, Greater Omaha Chamber. “Year after year, our cost of living falls well below the national average. Our arts and culture scene is a true community asset; our air is clean and we best all nine comparative cities in commute times and healthcare access.”
I thought this is an interesting blog entry by the Chamber. It prompted questions about why the Chamber is publishing a post like this. Why are they pointing our Atlanta as an area of high millennial migration loss? How is Atlanta relevant to Omaha at all? Are they frequenting the Chamber's site? Are Atlanteans moving here? Are they posting this somewhere that Atlanteans can see it (I did a brief Google search and didn't see it circulating anywhere else)? It's such an odd article.
Last edited by ita on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

ita wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:12 pm Millennials are Exiting Atlanta: Omaha Offers Alternative
tlanta’s millennials are moving. When citybizlist announced “Atlanta lost more millennials than it gained,” researchers took note, crunching comparatives from average home prices to median incomes.

Take Omaha, for example, where the average home price of $176,900 bests the $259,000 average-home-price in Atlanta, according to Best Places comparatives.

Best Places also notes Atlanta is “19.7 percent more expensive than Omaha,” with such everyday expenses as transportation, utilities and groceries outpacing Omaha – a metro Lattice Publishing named the No. 3 “best-paying midsize metro for millennial women.”

“There’s a real intersection of elements that makes Greater Omaha a remarkable place to live,” said David G. Brown, president and CEO, Greater Omaha Chamber. “Year after year, our cost of living falls well below the national average. Our arts and culture scene is a true community asset; our air is clean and we best all nine comparative cities in commute times and healthcare access.”
I thought this is an interesting blog entry by the Chamber. It prompted questions about why the Chamber is publishing a post like this. Why are they pointing our Atlanta as an area of high millennial migration loss? How is Atlanta relevant to Omaha at all? Are they frequenting the Chamber's site? Are Atlanteans moving here? Are they posting this somewhere that Atlanteans can see it (I did a brief Google search and didn't see it circulating anywhere else)? It's such an odd article.
I'm sure they know which cities are good sources for population growth. Someone in Atlanta probably doesn't have a negative opinion of Omaha, for instance, like someone in Portland might. They probably don't have much opinion at all. But when they search for places to move, it's possible they'll stumble upon an article like this and the idea of moving to Omaha might be planted in their brain.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

riceweb wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:20 pm
ita wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:12 pm Millennials are Exiting Atlanta: Omaha Offers Alternative
tlanta’s millennials are moving. When citybizlist announced “Atlanta lost more millennials than it gained,” researchers took note, crunching comparatives from average home prices to median incomes.

I'm sure they know which cities are good sources for population growth. Someone in Atlanta probably doesn't have a negative opinion of Omaha, for instance, like someone in Portland might. They probably don't have much opinion at all. But when they search for places to move, it's possible they'll stumble upon an article like this and the idea of moving to Omaha might be planted in their brain.
I would believe that is the case, except you can't really 'stumble' on this article unless you were specifically looking at the Chamber's website. But, like you said, they probably do have data about supporting the reasoning behind this article, either people or businesses inquiring about the City or visiting the website or other data sources.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

ita wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pmyou can't really 'stumble' on this article unless you were specifically looking at the Chamber's website
I see stories on Yahoo Finance all the time like "2020's Hottest Real Estate Cities for Dog Lovers"... I think the chamber is hoping that their blog post is eventually picked up by one of these mainstream outlets downstream.