News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Wine flows from Loess Hills

Post by Brad »

Wine flows from Loess Hills

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=1441889
They have 300 vines growing on six acres, and they have plans to expand the growing area next year. They also have contractors growing grapes for them.
I need to go check this place out.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad, don't know if you know, but there are also 2 wineries in Pott. Co., if you're into visiting them. One near Carson, the other near Minden (the names of which are slipping my mind at the moment). Surprised it took the OWH this long to get around to printing a story on this latest one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Someday I want to start visiting them. I also want to make it to the one in sarpy county. At one time there was talk of an urban winery in NDTO around where all of the development is taking place. They were going to grow the grapes on a farm outside Omaha and bring them in to town to the urban winery and make the wine. Last time I talked to the guy that was going to do it, the plans had kind of fallen through, but he was going to keep working on. However I have not seen him for a couple of years now.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

My brother and I have always talked about starting a winery and making the missouri valley into a rival for napa valley.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Sounds good. As soon as you can get 11 1/2 months of sunshine and temperate weather per year with no freezes and no humidity in the Missouri Vallley, you're on to something. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

You don't need that much warm weather to grow grapes, only certain kinds of grapes. There are a variety of grapes that grow and produce good wines with only a few months of sunshine and warm weather each year.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Aren't those the bourbon grapes? ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I know y'all are too young to remember this (heck, my grandpa barely remembers this), but before Prohibition, western Iowa (and in particular Pott Co) was a leading grape growing area known world-wide. Prohibition, the Armistice Day freeze of 1940 and the advent of 2-4D, all happening within a short time frame, put the kibosh on grape production 60 years ago. So yes, grapes can thrive in this area. They can still be vulnerable to weather and other influences, just like the vineyards of Napa Valley.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

Swift....I would seriously think about it. The Nebraska and Iowa wine industries have really expanded over the last five years. There is tons of potential there for anyone who wants to revive the Missouri Valley area that was once very strong before prohibition. If you every need any help let me know because I was worked in the local wine industry since 1997. I can give you many contacts and start-up cost, too.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Thanks, it would be a while though as my brother is still in lawschool and I'm still and undergrad.
ProudOmahaResident
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ProudOmahaResident »

I would really like to see us take some wine sales from California producers.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Anyway, so I went on a tour of Napa valley a few weeks ago, and was told at every winery I went to that it snows there in the winter. See, the grape vines go dormant around october or november (loosing their leaves, etc) so the cold winter doesn't effect them what so ever (like deciduous trees).

They did say, however, say that FROST is often a problem in Napa valley, especially in March. If frost covers the grapes, then they all die and your crop is ruined for the year. Thusly, they have huge heating fans placed strategically in their fields to blow blankets of warm air over the grapes so they don't get covered in frost.

Now...there was only a handful of people growing wine in Napa until the 60's. No Napa winery won any major awards until the late 70's. After Robert Mondavi won that major award tons of people started pouring into NApa to try and cash in. Napa wineries didn't start becoming prominent until the mid to late 80's!

So it's not like they have a huge head start here. The average life span of a grape vine is 30 years, after that time it begins to loose money for the winery owner. It took Mondavi just over 10 years from the time he bought his winery to the time he won a major award.

And it wasn't because of the location (not JUST because the location, that is) but because he was incredibly smart (educated at Stanford and UC Berkeley).
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Good opportunity to get out to a local vineyard this weekend...

Breezy Hills Winery hosts October Fest weekends in October
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Another winery opening up, this one in Mills County:

New winery offers a taste of the old world
Seeing King's Crossing Vineyard and Winery for the first time may make people think they have taken a step back in time - perhaps that they have taken a couple hundred steps back to the medieval times.

The old world-themed winery will celebrate its grand opening Memorial Day weekend.
For more information or directions visit www.kingscrossingvineyard.com or call (712) 526-2873.

Another opportunity to visit King's Crossing and the other six Western Iowa wineries will be at the annual BBQ wine trail event held on July 15-16. Tickets will be available through the wineries or by visiting www.westerniowawinetrail.com.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like the Loess Hills' vineyards are going to be a little more aggressive in their marketing, from today's Nonpareil:
The [Loess Hills Alliance Economic Development] committee also awarded $1,105 to King Crossing Vineyard and Winery to develop a Western Iowa Wine Trail brochure in cooperation with other western Iowa grape and wine producers.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I went with a group of about 30 people on a Western Iowa Wine Trail tour last November to 4 wineries, in Crescent, Minden, eastern Pott. Co. and down to Fremont County.  We had a blast.  The wine ranges from ho-hum to good in quality, but the producers are all nice and friendly, and some of the wineries are beautiful.  The one in Fremont County (I can't recall the name) was tucked into the forested hills, and reminded me of the Ozarks.  They had built a large log cabin and had built raised wood boardwalk trails into the woods.  A great place for picnickers.  We will be back.

A number of Nebraska wineries have opened within an hour or so of Omaha.  We plan to visit these in the spring.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Fine wine time: More than just grapes
Imagine yourself lounging in a chair, feet tickled by grass on a warm summer night. A live acoustic concert relaxes you, as does the sweet, cold white wine in your hand. You couldn't be more at home than in your own garden.

Mission accomplished for local wineries.

These days, southwest Iowa wineries and vineyards are more entertainment venues than mere tasting rooms. From jazz concerts to crawfish feeds or stargazing with a wine glass in hand, local wineries are getting creative to bring in more customers. The mood at these events is informal, encouraging comfort over pretension. . . .
Winery Events

n King's Crossing Vineyard and Winery, 53086 260th St. Glenwood, will feature Pair of Jacks performing Aug. 8 from 5 to 9 p.m. Tommy K Band plays Aug. 15 from 6 to 10 p.m. Enigma performs Aug. 30 from 6 to 10 p.m. Tommy K Band plays Sept. 14 from 1 to 5 p.m.

n Whispering Hills Vineyard, 43538 Cottonwood Road, Carson, holds "An Evening of Wine and Stars" Aug. 9 with the Omaha Astronomical Society. Tickets are limited. For information, call (712) 484-3744. Live music is featured Aug. 16 from 7 to 10 p.m. Brunch with Bluegrass is Aug. 31. On Sept. 20, live music is from 5 to 8 p.m.

n Prairie Crossing Vineyard and Winery, 31506 Pioneer Trail, Treynor, will feature Brich & Killion performing Aug. 9 from 6 to 10 p.m. Enigma will perform Aug. 23, 6 to 10 p.m. The Harvest Party is Sept. 6 featuring Brich & Killion (noon to 4 p.m.) and Johnsen Brothers (5 to 9 p.m.). Enigma will perform Sept. 20, 5 to 9 p.m. Brich & Killion will perform Oct. 4, 5 to 9 p.m.

n Breezy Hills Vineyard, 31735 Tamarack Road, Minden, will have Enigma perform Aug. 10 from 2 to 5 p.m. The fall line up for the winery includes Octoberfest Oct. 11 and 12; Holiday shopping event featuring unique items from jewelry to paintings, held during the southwest Iowa wineries' Holiday Wine Trail Nov. 1 and 2; and Nov. 28-30 marks the winery's fourth anniversary celebrated with a holiday open house.

n Loess Hills Vineyard & Winery, 1120 Old Lincoln Highway, Crescent, features a performance by Mark Irvin Aug. 15 from 6 to 9 p.m. Brich & Killion perform Sept. 27 from 6 to 9 p.m.

n Sugar Clay Winery, 1446 240th Ave., Thurman will feature On Solid Ground playing Aug. 31 from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. and Hamilton Loomis, 7 to 10 p.m. $10 cover. The third annual grape stomp is Sept. 20 and features live music and grape stomping contests.

n Danish Countryside Vines and Wine, 1397 280th St., Exira, holds mostly private parties in their party room. The winery will participate in the Holiday Wine Trail Nov. 1 and 2, and it will have an open house during Elk Horn's Julefest, which will be held during the Thanksgiving weekend.

- More information about each southwest Iowa winery can be found at http://www.westerniowawinetrail.com.

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Whispering Hills Vineyard, 43538 Cottonwood Road, Carson, holds "An Evening of Wine and Stars" Aug. 9 with the Omaha Astronomical Society. Tickets are limited. For information, call (712) 484-3744
I'll be at this one... with Anzio Annie.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Stargazer wrote:Image
The Death Star called, they want their death ray back...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Actually, the death ray was a few feet down from my location at Nebraska Star Party last week...

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Those are huge!  Where do you look in to on those?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Those are huge!  Where do you look in to on those?
The future.

(I suppose technically it would be the past.)
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

In the case of that largest telescope above... pointing straight up... the eyepiece would be at a height of 10 feet! (it gets downright dangerous viewing through a telescope like that).  Mine only requires a 3-step ladder.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool.  I think it would be fun to go to one of those events.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

A few photos from the observing field at NSP last week...

http://www.hustonfamily.com/vacation/2008/nsp/

You can also find us at Mahoney State Park on Friday evening... at the golf driving range.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:You can also find us at Mahoney State Park on Friday evening... at the golf driving range.
Thanks... you can find me "on the clock" on Fridays...  Oh well, I will make it out some time.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Prairie Crossing a place for an Iowa glass of wine
. . . Row after row of grapevines meet the eye on this gravel road, the crop of Prairie Crossing Winery & Vineyard, a local wine operation that is all Iowa.

From Howling Coyote to Cardinal Red to Silver Creek Soiree, all of the grape wine that leaves the vats at Prairie Crossing is 100-percent Iowa-grown and bottled.

“It’s a big deal to us,” said Julianna Hrasky, who co-owns the winery with her husband, Andy. “Our utmost priority is to provide patrons with locally grown products.” . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Western Iowa Grape Growers work toward federal distinction
The Loess Hills soil is rich.

Many know that, from the corn and soybean farmers that till the land to nature preserves scattered across the hills. And so do members of the Western Iowa Grape Growers Association, who are working to give the region American Viticultural Area designation, a title that would give the area a nationally renowned stamp of approval on wine made in southwest Iowa.

“It provides a means by which growers and wineries can get together and market and promote their product,” said Doug Grave, president of the association. “The distinction enables wineries to put the Loess Hills AVA label on their bottle. Customers will know the wine is made from at least 85 percent locally grown grapes.” . . .

The Loess Hills viticultural area would be the first Iowa-only region. The River Valley American Viticultural Area touches parts of northeast Iowa, southeast Minnesota and southwest Wisconsin. California, the land of wine, has more than 100 designated areas.

According to the U.S. Department of the Treasury Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, the designation allows vintners and consumers to attribute a given quality, reputation or other characteristic of a wine made from grapes grown in the area. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan