Omaha getting a J Crew store..FINALLY..

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Omaha getting a J Crew store..FINALLY..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the cryptic rumor dept-

I heard from a very reliable source yesterday who works in the commercial property business here in Omaha that J Crew is very close to signing a lease for a store at Village Pointe..

Stay tuned!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

That would be a welcome addition. That would also have to get VP close to 100% leased, I would think.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Isn't village pointe going to expand by filling in that space on the south side by the movie theatre? I noticed a sign there with a rendering on it last time I was there. Maybe they will make a huge store in that space :D
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaDevelopmentMan wrote:Isn't village pointe going to expand by filling in that space on the south side by the movie theatre? I noticed a sign there with a rendering on it last time I was there. Maybe they will make a huge store in that space :D
Actually all of that is going to be Gap's little complex. Gap, Baby Gap, Gap Kids, Senior Citizens Gap, whatever the other ones are called, will all be housed out of that building when it's done.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Village Pointe's press release (see villagepointeshopping.com) said that the Gap 'complex' was going in the space between American Eagle and the GameStop on the north side.

So, that would leave the new construction unaccounted for.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
OmahaDevelopmentMan wrote:Isn't village pointe going to expand by filling in that space on the south side by the movie theatre? I noticed a sign there with a rendering on it last time I was there. Maybe they will make a huge store in that space :D
Actually all of that is going to be Gap's little complex. Gap, Baby Gap, Gap Kids, Senior Citizens Gap, whatever the other ones are called, will all be housed out of that building when it's done.
That rendering is two stories, I wonder if they will be multistory stores??
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

well i guess the only thing i know about J-Crew is their hair products, what else do they sell?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omahastylee459 wrote:well i guess the only thing i know about J-Crew is their hair products, what else do they sell?
Here is a link to the J.Crew website so you can see for yourself:

http://www.jcrew.com/home.jhtml;jsessio ... stid=17715

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Stylee, you might be thinking of American Crew hair products....

Anyway, no, Gap is not going into the new "infill" construction, as people have said it is going into the HUGE space in between American Eagle and GameStop.

And I have definitely seen the rendering of the "infill" posted at the site, and it is definitely two stories. However, I'm not totally sure if it will actually be two stories. You know how some of the stores out at VP only look like their two stories, but are really just one story, well it could be like that. However, I DO think it will be two ACTUAL stories.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Stylee, you might be thinking of American Crew hair products....
haha your right, tells you how much i know.... :lol:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Aaron, the new addition is to be two stories... with the second level to be occupied by office space.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

A reliable source indicates that an announcement is coming -soon- for the opening of a J. Crew and Coach store at Village Pointe. Also, word is Ann Taylor will be re-locating from Oakview to Village Pointe... and a furniture store (source couldn't remember the 'strange' name ) will be coming as well.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Hmmm....did you ask them if it was IKEA?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Now I don't go to the mall but once or twice a year. Usually at christmas and if I need new work pants. I also have never been to village point. but are you serious
Gap, Baby Gap, Gap Kids, Senior Citizens Gap,
IS THERE REALLY A SENIOR CITIZENS GAP.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

yes, its called BlueHair/BlueJeans
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

yes, its called BlueHair/BlueJeans
Right next to the Victoria's Secret Nursing Home Edition.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Brad wrote:Now I don't go to the mall but once or twice a year. Usually at christmas and if I need new work pants. I also have never been to village point. but are you serious
Gap, Baby Gap, Gap Kids, Senior Citizens Gap,
IS THERE REALLY A SENIOR CITIZENS GAP.
HAHA :lol: :lol:

No, I was kidding man. There is no Senior Citizens GAP. I made that one up.

I am dying of laughter right now... :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jhuston wrote:A reliable source indicates that an announcement is coming -soon- for the opening of a J. Crew and Coach store at Village Pointe. Also, word is Ann Taylor will be re-locating from Oakview to Village Pointe... and a furniture store (source couldn't remember the 'strange' name ) will be coming as well.
It's good to hear that after hearing the lease signing info this past summer..An actual announcement may be pending..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Here it is... you can move this one out of the Rumor section.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2052580
Coach and J. Crew top the list of six new businesses coming to the shopping center at 168th Street and West Dodge Road.

Those specialty retailers, along with Té Bella and My Abode, will occupy a new, 26,000-square-foot building to be constructed on the south side of the 78-acre Village Pointe, said John Bacon, director of marketing communications for RED Development, owner and manager of the center.

Construction is set to begin in mid-November. The new building is scheduled to be completed by spring 2006, Bacon said.

Post by Guest »

From the picture on the OWH website, it looks like the plans for this new building changed and its now only a 1 story building. Must not have been much demand for office space.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And IMO, a poorly written follow up article in today's W-H:

'The signing of Coach and J. Crew to open their first stores in Nebraska at Village Pointe next spring is a coup for RED Development, which leases and manages the lifestyle center, said the company's director of marketing and communications.

The nearest locations to Omaha for both retailers are in Overland Park, Kan., Kansas City, Mo., and Jordan Creek Town Center in West Des Moines . The national specialty retailers generally are found in larger markets.

"Coach and J. Crew are the top level of what you want to get," John Bacon said. "We're pretty excited."'..

Well 'good-golly-gosh', arent we the lucky ones :roll: ..

And since the insinuation has already been planted, exactly when in the history of these cities has Des Moines EVER been a larger market than Omaha :lol: .. Geesh..Strap on the giddy-up boots and get along little doggies..

Oh well..I know I'm probably over-reacting just a 'wee bit'..Nonetheless, glad to see J.Crew and Coach finally making it into the Omaha market..It's about time (that is the type of article tone and slant I'd be more satisfied with by the way)..

Today J.Crew and Coach..Tommorrow the Cheese..

The link to the W-H piece:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2052697

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And PS-

Score one for the Cryptic Rumor Dept :wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

What Cowboy really meant to say was, why are we getting sloppy seconds after Des Moines? :P

JCrew is awesome tho.. it'll be a great addition.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

CountOfMC wrote:What Cowboy really meant to say was, why are we getting sloppy seconds after Des Moines? :P
Exactly :lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Would you rather not have it at all? Believe me, we'd rather see you drive to Jordan Creek! :D

Also, remember that the State of Iowa has almost three million people living in its borders. That means there are that many more people ordering from our state through catalogs and visiting stores in other major cities nearby. It would only seem natural that Des Moines would be a spot to put them, since its centrally located and we have a top notch mall that can draw people from throughout the region.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the douglas county engineers site

Village Point West.

http://webarc.co.douglas.ne.us/engineer ... 43-2.1.pdf

Am I looking in the right area or are we still in the regular village point,
not village point west

Village Point.

http://webarc.co.douglas.ne.us/engineer ... 14-2.1.pdf
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

EVery girl I've told about all the new stores we're getting have been like "who cares about J Crew, we're getting a COACH!!!!"

And I'd never even heard of Coach before.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The real question, at least to me, is why it took so long for a J. Crew to land in Omaha..A metro area 300,000 larger than Des Moines, and significantly larger than many other metros J. Crew is currently located in..

And Omaha is strategically located along the Nebraska/Iowa border to draw from significant population bases in both states..Thus negating any advantage Des Moines may enjoy due to Iowa having a larger state population..I've stated this before..If Omaha was located, say, where Grand Island is in central Nebraska..Then I'd buy the Iowa population advantage argument as it relates to topics like this..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

People in Des Moines or Central Iowa don't go to Omaha to shop (or I've never heard of anyone who does). If they are going to go anywhere, it's in all directions but west (where major metropolitan areas are, KC-MSP-CHI). If these retailers in these markets want to have a closer retail outlet in Iowa, Des Moines is logically the place to go. I wouldn't drive 2 hours to go shopping in Omaha when 99% of the same shops are here in Des Moines (and vice versa). It's going to take much more than one or two national stores (than what is in Des Moines) to get me to Omaha when I can go to cities in a driveable distance that offer many more names and stores than Des Moines and Omaha. Also, the significant portions of Iowa's population is in Central and Eastern Iowa, not Western Iowa (with an 1/8 of the state's population). Also, Sioux City is doing quite well with getting these same new retailers to open in their market too. The retail leakage from Woodbury County and surrounding areas to Omaha and Sioux Falls will be shrinking as well. Omaha will not draw from the populous parts of the state with these other cities closer or at a reasonable drive time. Omaha does is not the epicenter of Iowa, Des Moines is.

Imagine if you combined Nebraska and Iowa together. Omaha would be near the center physically. It would not be the center of population. You'd still have more people in Central Iowa and Eastern Iowa than all of Nebraska and Western Iowa. Des Moines would be closer to the center of the population.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree..Omaha draws from every bit as favorable a population base as Des Moines does..If not more enhanced..The very reasons you indicate a decrease for Omaha shopping traffic would also apply to Des Moines..See your Sioux City comments..Eastern Iowa? There is Iowa City/Quad Cities and ultimately Chicago. I submit a goodly number of Eastern Iowa residents would consider these other cities, as opposed to a longer drive to Des Moines to shop (also notice I don't broad brush my comment :) )

I will also say this, if people from Des Moines don't drive to Omaha for goods and services, then I wonder why I see so many Polk county licence plates in West Omaha..Especially during weekends..To say that people from Des Moines or Central Iowa 'don't go to Omaha to shop' I suspect would be a highly inaccurate/untrue comment..

Maybe they're just passing thru? :lol: ..Or maybe they're just moving here?? If so, I'll take 'em..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Look, the truth is that General Growth has its roots in Des Moines and Jordan Creek has amazing demographics. Jordan Creek IS drawing Nebraskans and Omahans. Its no crime for Des Moines to get something before, or even instead of, Omaha, just as it isnt a crime for the opposite to happen.

To whine about it either way is pointless. IF you want a company to locate in your town the thing to do is NOT to whine about it here but to contact the company and request that they locate in your area.

I was under the impression that this forum was intended to present Omaha in a positiive light. Posts whining about some other city don't, IN MY OPINION, serve that purpose. I can imagine someone from outside the midwest laughing at those posts, saying "Can you believe those people from Omaha and Des Moines arguing about who is better?"

Silliness....
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
I will also say this, if people from Des Moines don't drive to Omaha for goods and services, then I wonder why I see so many Polk county licence plates in West Omaha..Especially during weekends..To say that people from Des Moines or Central Iowa 'don't go to Omaha to shop' I suspect would be a highly inaccurate/untrue comment..
The Old Market as well. I kind of thought Jordan Creek would lead to an end in Des Moinesers in Omaha. Apparently not. For some reason I enjoy looking at people's license plates when I am downtown and I assure you, on any given weekend at about any given moment you should be able to pass by at least two cars with plates from counties the Des Moines metro parked somewhere in the Old Market. If you'd like, I can go get a camera and photograph some of them for you.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Okay Novak..Just having a discussion and disagreement.There is nothing wrong with that on this forum..Also no one, including yours truly, is arguing 'one city is better than another'. Just regional demographic draw..Don't quite know how you came away with that one..BUT..Your post has much merit and I tend to agree with the majority of it..May I suggest you take a happy pill and chill out a bit..

That is another good observation Titos..And not just Polk county plates either..The Old Market has always been a big-time regional draw..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

To ensure this thread dosen't disintegrate further into the non-topical abyss (and I get the sense that it will happen)..I'm locking it up..Since I contributed to the off topic banter..This one is completely on me and I apologize for it..

If someone wants to start a fresh thread to discuss J.Crew, Coach and the other impressive developments at Village Pointe, please feel free..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!